PDA

View Full Version : Gunbroker, what a joke...

Eurodriver
11-15-11, 07:23
Every once in a while I will meander on over to GB to see if there are any good deals. Lately I've been looking for SCAR 17 magazines.

I found one for $77, which is double what I paid just a few days ago on FN's website.

I kept clicking around and ended up looking at AR15 and eventually BCM Upper receiver groups.

There are vendors selling them for more than what Bravo Company charges! Everything is overpriced and it seems that all the sellers are pawn shops or mom and pop gun shops that have absolutely no idea that they are on the internet and can't charge substantially higher prices like they do in their Laramie, Wyoming storefront.

I have never found a good deal on Gunbroker, and I've been on it for a few years. It can't all be like this?

montanadave
11-15-11, 07:46
I have purchased multiple items on GunBroker over the past several years. At times, I have used GunBroker to locate a particular model which was in short supply, unavailable in my area, or difficult to locate with online retailers. In those circumstances, I did not expect to find a "bargain" although the price I paid was in line with other online retailers who listed the item as "out of stock."

At other times, I have purchased used firearms that I felt were quite competitively priced and was satisfied with the price I paid. My purchases through GunBroker (probably half a dozen) have all gone smoothly and I have yet to be burned.

It's quite apparent when searching GunBroker that there are folks who simply list an item with an above market price and hope there is someone out in cyperspace who is either desperate or too lazy to do their homework who will meet their price.

As in any marketplace, bricks and mortar or ether, caveat emptor.

markm
11-15-11, 08:17
I'd say about 1% of the stuff on gunbroker is worth looking at. It's bloated with scum bags who will put stuff like "COLT" in their descriptions for No name junk so that you have to look at it if you're searching for good stuff.

Outrider
11-15-11, 12:25
It depends on the person/company who is listing the item. There are plenty of good deals you can get on gunbroker and there are plenty of individuals trying to sell stuff for high prices. I've seen it work both ways.

SteyrAUG
11-15-11, 14:20
You can list for FREE.

Just as there are dealers and stores that price at 20% above retail, there will be GB sellers who do the same. I can also find overpriced stuff in the EE of any forum.

And if you don't buy it, it doesn't cost a dime.

I have gotten some really good deals on Gunbroker, other times I paid top dollar and then some. I have also sold things on Gunbroker for far less than the going rate, and I have also sold at a premium.

What we are still seeing all over the internet is everyone who "invested" in guns during the Great Obama Gun Sale who are now hurting and trying to get out of the investment but don't want to take a complete bath yet.

I've seen more than a few shops fold because the went heavy into inventory thinking there would be a never ending panic buy and couldn't move product because they weren't able to take the loss when prices dropped and they couldn't keep paying the bills.

rushca01
11-15-11, 14:20
It just depends. I picked up a Springfield MC Operator with 5 Wilson mags and VZ grips for 900 bucks. I have run the gun hard without any issues, it was just at the Vickers/Hackathorn 100 year class.

chadbag
11-15-11, 16:57
I've been selling off inventory on GB this past year or year and a half. Hundreds of items sold. All at or below good internet prices.

You just got to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Armati
11-15-11, 18:24
I have gotten some good deals on Gunbroker but there are A LOT of crap listings. I just wish you could put certain dealers on an 'ignore list'.

The worst are the sort of listings that put Colt, LMT, BCM in the item description when they are clearly selling Bushmaster, DEZ, or DelTon.

rickp
11-15-11, 18:42
It's like anything else on the internet, you have to sift through the BS to get what you're looking for.

Use it for what it is.

R.

.45fmjoe
11-15-11, 18:59
I'd say about 1% of the stuff on gunbroker is worth looking at. It's bloated with scum bags who will put stuff like "COLT" in their descriptions for No name junk so that you have to look at it if you're searching for good stuff.

Or how about "Not Colt."

That shit is so ****ing aggravating. I wish GB would disallow that, and implement a report function. :lol:

Eurodriver
11-15-11, 19:02
How do you guys find anything worthwhile? I have bought some Walther P22 magazines (similar to whats mentioned above, they werent available locally anywhere, and most online places were out of stock yet the cost was still fair to what the market is asking)

However, thats it. Everything else is a complete waste of time.

kartoffel
11-15-11, 19:44
It's like anything else on the internet, you have to sift through the BS to get what you're looking for.

Totally.

For that matter GB like a real life gun show, too. Some people asking way too much or completely misrepresenting their wares. Some people offering really good deals.

GB is seriously lacking in the beef jerky department, though.

Suwannee Tim
11-15-11, 20:24
Or how about "Not Colt."

That shit is so ****ing aggravating. I wish GB would disallow that, and implement a report function. :lol:

Ebay doesn't allow it, it is called keyword spamming and they will punish the spammer too. As far as Gunbroker, the signal to noise ratio is none too high but you can find stuff not available otherwise. I had a '70s era .460 Weatherby magnum, it was a hideous thing, as gaudy a rifle as you have ever seen. I sold it and much to my surprise, missed it a lot. I am in the market for another one. GB and Auction Arms are two very likely sources.

40Arpent
11-16-11, 08:56
How do you guys find anything worthwhile?

I have made plenty of good purchases on GB, including old and new weapons, old and new parts, and accessories. Saying "everything else is a waste of time" is ludicrous. You just have to know what you want, and the diligence and patience to find it.