PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Soft shell for Concealed carry

krm375
11-15-11, 07:49
Like the Title states, I need a new Jacket for Concealed carry I am currently using an Old Arcteryx Jacket that I probably have had since 2001 or so The fabric is swiss dynamic schoeller. Its a nice relatively loose fitting soft shell that conceals well and is starting to come apart on me. I have looked at TAD and like what I see, but they don't have what I want in my size. What are you guys using? EDIT: looking for Low pro, no 511, and the new Arcteryx seems really tapered and slim not conducive to Concealed Carry.

Sry0fcr
11-15-11, 08:01
I have a Marmot shell the model name escapes me at the moment. You might look at them or Patagonia or really any of the "outdoorsy" clothing brands. They pretty much all produce some sort of softshell jacket. The real question is how much do you want to spend and does it have to be made by one of the tactical du jour brands like TAD Gear or Arcteryx?

GIJew766
11-15-11, 08:33
I just ordered a new Arc'teryx softshell as my old one seems to be in the same state as yours. It's been run pretty hard over the years, so it's time for a new one.

Anyway, I also recommend the Marmot stuff. The E Line jacket my buddy has is nice, and I've considered grabbing one for myself in addition to the Arc'teryx.

How hard are you going to run with this thing? Planning on taking any classes with it? If so, you can buy two of the E Line's for what I just spent on the Arc'teryx one.

H

krm375
11-15-11, 08:52
I just ordered a new Arc'teryx softshell as my old one seems to be in the same state as yours. It's been run pretty hard over the years, so it's time for a new one.

Anyway, I also recommend the Marmot stuff. The E Line jacket my buddy has is nice, and I've considered grabbing one for myself in addition to the Arc'teryx.

How hard are you going to run with this thing? Planning on taking any classes with it? If so, you can buy two of the E Line's for what I just spent on the Arc'teryx one.

H
Yep, this is going to a work, firearms class, CCW requal, rifle carbine course do it all jacket, I am pleased that this Arcteryx has lasted for me for 10 years, and doing the all that it has done in the last 8 its starting to show its age.

GIJew766
11-15-11, 09:39
The Arc'teryx is the way to go then. Mine has held up pretty well under just about any conditions. Backpacking the Appalachians, hunting, classes, work, casual wear, etc.

H

darr3239
11-15-11, 09:52
For those not looking to spend enormous amounts of money, the Condor line might be the ticket. They have tactical jackets in softshell that can be had for about $85, if you look around. I've got a lightweight fleece for even less from here:

http://www.gadsdenandculpeper.com/tan-tactical-fleece.html

ruchik
11-15-11, 11:34
As an FYI, that Condor jacket is iffy. At least mine was. After just 3-4 months of wearing the jacket everyday to and from work (absolutely no hard use whatsoever, just normal everyday wear) the hood drawstring detached from the inside. Seams started coming loose. Not sure if mine was just a Friday jacket. Still waterproof and whatnot, lots of pockets, but it's also pretty heavy for what it is.

PatEgan
11-15-11, 12:01
As an FYI, that Condor jacket is iffy. At least mine was. After just 3-4 months of wearing the jacket everyday to and from work (absolutely no hard use whatsoever, just normal everyday wear) the hood drawstring detached from the inside. Seams started coming loose. Not sure if mine was just a Friday jacket. Still waterproof and whatnot, lots of pockets, but it's also pretty heavy for what it is.

Caveat: I've never owned anything from Condor.

What you've just written has also been expressed by many others who've bought Condor and regretted it. Yes, there are plenty of guys who own them and are happy, but Condor's record is way too spotty for me. When I was shopping around for new soft and hard shells this summer, I ruled them out pretty quickly.

Buy once, cry once...

Belmont31R
11-15-11, 12:09
Go take a look at REI, and try some stuff on.

I have a Marmot soft shell like this http://marmot.com/products/approach_jacket_spring_2011?p=216,303 that works well. The back is slighty longer so if you bend over you have more fabric.

Have had it for 2 years and has been holding up fine. It has a decent fit, too, for me with longer arms and am 6ft tall.

newyork
11-15-11, 12:13
I just bought an Otte Gear Alpine. It's very nice and loose enough to carry with. I walked my dog in the rain for an hour and it didn't soak through I also took a pistol course in it this weekend. Rolling in the dirt. Looks perfect

variablebinary
11-15-11, 13:16
I prefer a Marmot. Their stuff has never let me down.

krm375
11-15-11, 13:42

I have a Marmot soft shell like this http://marmot.com/products/approach_jacket_spring_2011?p=216,303 that works well. The back is slighty longer so if you bend over you have more fabric.

Have had it for 2 years and has been holding up fine. It has a decent fit, too, for me with longer arms and am 6ft tall.

Right now just window shopping, not stateside, and the jacket I have just is getting more frayed and the DWR is not what it used to be. Ill look at the Marmots

QuietShootr
11-15-11, 14:21
Condor is a little too shitty for me. I have one and it fell apart not too long ago.

PrivateCitizen
11-15-11, 15:05
I like the Marmot one listed

Mountain Hardwear has a decent one as well, maybe short for OWB.

Available in requisite browns and greens …

http://www.altrec.com/mountain-hardwear/mens-android-jacket

krm375
11-16-11, 09:55
Well I bit the bullet and got the Arcteryx, Bravo soft-shell in Black, I figured the one I have lasted ten years then hopefully this one will as well.

newyork
11-16-11, 10:04
Nice! Congrats!

Megalomaniac
11-16-11, 19:58
Caveat: I've never owned anything from Condor.

What you've just written has also been expressed by many others who've bought Condor and regretted it. Yes, there are plenty of guys who own them and are happy, but Condor's record is way too spotty for me. When I was shopping around for new soft and hard shells this summer, I ruled them out pretty quickly.

Buy once, cry once...

My softshell has lasted a decent amount of hard use, I've had seems fray but no splits, my only real gripe is that STRONG, COLD wind does go through it, last Halloween I wore it while bar hoping in NYC and the cold wind off the water went through.

I've worn it more than a few times during "Milsim" (Day or Multi Day long continuous) Airsoft games, and I'm not what you'd call a soft, player, I aggressively push and craw through brush, over rocks, and other abrasive surfaces, where other pieces of Condor crap have failed and so far its held up rather well.

Vash1023
11-16-11, 21:03
condor quality is iffy.

i bought the rothco spec ops soft shell which is the exact same jacket but the quality is about 50% better.

http://www.combatsportsupply.com/rothcospecopsjacket.aspx

Mr. Goodtimes
11-16-11, 23:40
I've worn it more than a few times during "Milsim" (Day or Multi Day long continuous) Airsoft games, and I'm not what you'd call a soft, player, I aggressively push and craw through brush, over rocks, and other abrasive surfaces, where other pieces of Condor crap have failed and so far its held up rather well.

If anything was going to expose the shortcomings of a piece of kit it would be aggressive "crawing" and air-softing. Thanks for your contribution.

OP: I like Arc-Teryx. Their clothing is second to non in the quality/innovation department as well as customer service. Mine held up well through a Chicago winter as well as lots of hiking.

EzGoingKev
11-17-11, 01:31
Quality and design-wise you cannot go wrong with Arc'teryx. From my experience I find them to be "gold standard" I use to judge other gear.

I do not own any Condor gear but from what I have read it would seem that people's experiences vary greatly. I have read posts from people that have run it hard with no issues while I also have read about people having issues.

I bought a Marmot shell about a month ago and was not all that impressed with it so I returned it. The biggest issue I had was that I was paying an Arc'teryx price for a piece of gear that was not on par with Arc'teryx.

Adam_s
11-17-11, 06:51
I have softshells from Arc'teryx, TAD, and Wild Things Tactical. All are well made. The WTT one is very nice, and American Made, which is a big plus in my book. It is loser fitting, and would conceal a pistol very nicely I think.

TehLlama
11-17-11, 06:59
I once bought condor stuff to go airsofting with, and promptly trashed it and moved onto to better stuff. For weekend-only use, or just looking cool, go for it.

The $100-$140 range is where most of the good value soft shells wind up - if the Mountain Hardwear fit me better I'd still be wearing it, brands like Columbia, NorthFace, Marmot.

For now I'm making do with a $15 LAPG light fleece under a Patagonia MARS jacket that I picked up for around $60, which makes it really flexible, but it holds its own down to freezing temperatures with light snow.

TRY IT ON. I was about to pull the trigger on a few soft shells, but after trying them on in a store in VA, I changed my mind completely on some of them. My wife fell in love with the ladies Mountain Hardwear soft shells, so I grabbed her one for each color she usually wears.

PatEgan
11-18-11, 11:09
"If anything was going to expose the shortcomings of a piece of kit it would be aggressive "crawing" and air-softing. Thanks for your contribution."

Dude, THAT was funny! I will probably chuckle about that for the rest of the day...

Pat

sjc3081
11-18-11, 17:09
I had on for a year now and wear constantly water repellent and wind proof. Good deal for $109.00.
http://www.campmor.com/the-north-face-mens-bionic-soft-shell-jacket.shtml

Atchcraft
11-18-11, 18:41

I just got two of these from Cabela's. They are on sale for $46.88. I'm 6'2" and the XXL is perfect. Nice Jacket.