PDA

View Full Version : Scored a Muley

orkan
11-15-11, 09:42
About 100yds, neck shot, with the DTA. The 338LM using Hornady 285 HPBT Match to the neck. Did an impressive job! I was hoping for a longer range kill, but this guy presented himself while I was laying atop a knoll overlooking a deep ravine. Couldn't pass it up.

I also shot a coyote with the 338LM this trip. He was running straight away and took it up the poo socket. Basically turned him into a sock puppet.

http://www.gregd.net/pics/deer_hunting/IMG_1047.JPG

markm
11-15-11, 09:56
Was the neck shot to keep the meat undamaged?

orkan
11-15-11, 09:58
You got it! My family lives on meat I shoot... so if I have a close shot like that with a lazer beam of a rifle that the DTA is... you can bet its going to be a head shot or neck shot if its a buck... unless its trophy class and is going on the wall.

This guy will be going in a european style mount. Doesn't quite make the specs for a shoulder mount.

Pappabear
11-15-11, 17:00
Nice looking Muley Big Man.

My Son drilled a Cow Elk last week at 300+ yards. I really wasn't counting on that long of a shot on a Youth Cow Elk hunt, so it was executed with a 270 win. But like you said, she presented herself and my Boy made it happen. Already ate steaks and meatballs, good stuff.

orkan
11-15-11, 17:11
Nice! I've yet to go elk hunting. You have to send in for like 15 years before you draw a tag in south dakota... that's if you ever do get a tag.

Pappabear
11-15-11, 17:40
Its not much better in AZ. They do a good job of giving out Youth cow hunts though. I did get lucky and have a bull hunt in a couple of weeks. Ive been talking to some guys, the late Bull hunt is tuff, they been pushed all around and finding them might not be easy. I'm hoping for a 330 min. and would like (as we all would) a 360+.

We have them in AZ, but the late hunt will be a tuff one. I'll let you know how that goes.

SeriousStudent
11-15-11, 21:20
That's a good size deer. The whitetails around here seem about dog size. Not enough hunting, and the deer get too small.

I definitely agree about not wasting meat. Especially when jerky and sausage is so tasty. :D