PDA

View Full Version : STI handguns

white spaniard
11-26-07, 12:13
Hi has anyone herd of a company called STI? My wife and I went shooting yesterday and the guy next to us told her she needs to get a "Real" .45Cal hand gun a STI and we both have Kimbers. Is STI a superior hand gun compared to Kimber?

Robb Jensen
11-26-07, 12:33
Good guns, sometimes some are a little finicky to get to work correctly. Mine is a custom built STI the only pieces of mine that are STI are the slide and frame.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/6677c34a.jpg

rhino
11-26-07, 12:36
Yes, I have definitely heard of STI. http://www.stiguns.com/

They got their start as one of the branches of the companies that developed the original (McCormick-Tripp) wide body, modular polymer frames for 1911-style guns in the early 1990s. Now they have a variety of products, including several series of very well made single stack 1911s.

Yes, STI guns are generally superior to Kimbers in almost every regard, although you can get some Kimbers cheaper. Quality control is better, parts are better (tool steel, not MIM), fit of the barrel to the slide and bushing is usually better, trigger is usually better, ergonomics are better (high cut under the trigger guard and a vastly superior grip safety design), yadda yadda yadda. Another thing is that you can order the STI exactly the way you want it. With a Kimber, you choose a model and that's what you get.

Given that . . .

If you have a Kimber that functions 100% of the time will all of your choices of ammo and it shoots accurately enough for your needs, then you already have a "real gun" and you have nothing to gain from an STI. I have several Kimbers and zero STIs (although I've shot several and fondled many). I'm not worried about the choices I made in the past given that what I have now meets my needs.

On the other hand, if I were buying a new gun and my choices were a new Kimber or a new STI, I would not hesitate to choose the STI. If I were buying used, guarantee of 100% function (or my money back) and being able to get it in a private transfer would affect my decision far more than the brand name or the opinion of someone at the range.

rhino
11-26-07, 12:40
Good guns, sometimes some are a little finicky to get to work correctly.

Is that your experience in all calibersin their single stack guns, or just .40 and 9mm? The .45s I've seen (and to which I was addressing my comments... sorry for my lack of specificity) have been workhorses. The .40s and 9mms have been hit and miss (no pun intended) in terms of functioning well from the box), but I don't know any mass producer who makes 1911s in .40 or 9mm whose guns I would trust out of the box (yet).

white spaniard
11-26-07, 12:56
thanks for the explanation on the STI guns a 2K hand gun is way out of my league.

k9dpd
11-26-07, 13:55
I have a STI 9mm single stack 1911 that runs great, no issues and it was a sub 1K gun

rhino
11-26-07, 17:33
thanks for the explanation on the STI guns a 2K hand gun is way out of my league.

Their single stack guns start in the $900-1200 range, depending on the features you want. That's about the same as the higher end Kimbers, maybe a little more.

Kevin
11-26-07, 18:41
STI/SVI are two completely seperate companies that share some common history. They dominate the market in USPSA/IPSC.

Their double stack guns have a composite (dare I say Glock-like!!) grip frame that is bolted to the frame rails by the top two "grip screws" and a smaller bolt just ahead of the triger guard. There are no seperate grip panels, and the two lower grip screws are only there for show, they do nothing.

I bought mine from Brazos Custom almost three years ago. I've got about 30,000 rounds through it. The only thing I've had to replace has been the front sight. (It is a little delicate, but this particular gun is for USPSA only.) Based on my experience with my own STI, in terms of reliability and accuracy, I would not hesitate to take any one of their more tactical models (i.e., more robust sights) anywhere.

I've had it through a couple classes each with Frank Garcia and Manny Bragg. It has been rarely cleaned and 100% reliable, and it will still put everything in one jagged hole at 50'.

You can buy factory direct or from any number of custom smiths out there. They are pricey, but well worth the $$

Robb Jensen
11-26-07, 20:31
Is that your experience in all calibersin their single stack guns, or just .40 and 9mm? The .45s I've seen (and to which I was addressing my comments... sorry for my lack of specificity) have been workhorses. The .40s and 9mms have been hit and miss (no pun intended) in terms of functioning well from the box), but I don't know any mass producer who makes 1911s in .40 or 9mm whose guns I would trust out of the box (yet).

Usually their 9mm/.40guns stuff like the EDGE...........they're hit and miss in the reliability. Once you get them running they run very well. Their .45s typically run right out of the box with nothing needed.

RAM Engineer
11-26-07, 21:39
GotM4,

Can you tell me about those magazines/baseplates?

Also, what drove the trigger guard re-shaping? I'm sure it's functional, I was just wondering what the reason is.

Thanks,

Jason

RD62
11-26-07, 21:46
I've been wanting to round out my .45ACP collection with a high-cap and a wheel gun. I think I'm gonna go with a S&W 325PD 4" when I have the $$, and am wondering for the high-cap how the STI compares against the M&P and GLOCK. I have GLOCKs and like them and shoot them well. I was considering a new 21SF, but lately I've been reading so much good press about the M&P's. I love my 1911, and would like to stay with the platform but have no experience with high-cap 1911's. GotM4 since I believe you own all the above mentioned, would you be so kind as to give me your impressions on how they stack-up against each other? Sorry if this is a hijack!

-RD62

uranus
11-27-07, 00:40
I have an unmodified older-version STI Lawman (with the small rollmark). It is a single stack in 45ACP with a forged frame and slide. It is very accurate and reliable. It has a very nice stock trigger. The trigger is probably as good as my Wilson and Baers. The Lawman retails for $1350.00, IIRC.

Robb Jensen
11-27-07, 04:34
GotM4,

Can you tell me about those magazines/baseplates?

Also, what drove the trigger guard re-shaping? I'm sure it's functional, I was just wondering what the reason is.

Thanks,

Jason

Thoses are STI mag tubes with Dawson Precision basepads (old pic), I don't use those basepads anymore I'm now using Grams Engineering (http://www.gramsengineering.com/stisv.html) pads and I need to pick up 5 of their followers too. Right now of my 5 mags, one will hold 20 rounds and the other 4 will hold 19 rounds. With Grams followers more than likely the 4 will come up to 20 rounds each.

I reshaped the triggerguard like that to get my support hand very high up on the gun..........better control.

I've been wanting to round out my .45ACP collection with a high-cap and a wheel gun. I think I'm gonna go with a S&W 325PD 4" when I have the $$, and am wondering for the high-cap how the STI compares against the M&P and GLOCK. I have GLOCKs and like them and shoot them well. I was considering a new 21SF, but lately I've been reading so much good press about the M&P's. I love my 1911, and would like to stay with the platform but have no experience with high-cap 1911's. GotM4 since I believe you own all the above mentioned, would you be so kind as to give me your impressions on how they stack-up against each other? Sorry if this is a hijack!

-RD62

For a double stack .45ACP I'd go with either a Glock 21SF, M&P45 or HK45 (no particular order) all are excellent pistols. It pretty much boils down to which you like better. The Glock 21SF while a little better still feels big. The M&P45 and HK45 feel much fell smaller and better in the hand.

rhino
11-27-07, 10:25
gotM4 ... I was using a Grams pad with my .45 Para ... I could get 18+1 in the gun and it worked great . . . until I had to have it contoured a bit to fit under a magwell. Then the "worked great" went to "catastrophic failure" where the pad slides onto the mag tube. I replaced it with a Dawson and it fits anywhere. The 18 rounds in the mag is a little tighter, and I think it's only possible because I'm still using the Grams spring and follower.

The market for higher-cap .45s isn't that good in my opinion, unless you get something built. On the other hand, if you can find a Para-Ordnance P14.45 made in the mid 1990s or so, and can verify that it works with your ammo, then it's a gun that would make anyone happy. I wouldn't own one in .40 and the new guns all come with that infuriating "power extractor" piece of crap.

Robb Jensen
11-27-07, 10:48
gotM4 ... I was using a Grams pad with my .45 Para ... I could get 18+1 in the gun and it worked great . . . until I had to have it contoured a bit to fit under a magwell. Then the "worked great" went to "catastrophic failure" where the pad slides onto the mag tube. I replaced it with a Dawson and it fits anywhere. The 18 rounds in the mag is a little tighter, and I think it's only possible because I'm still using the Grams spring and follower.

The market for higher-cap .45s isn't that good in my opinion, unless you get something built. On the other hand, if you can find a Para-Ordnance P14.45 made in the mid 1990s or so, and can verify that it works with your ammo, then it's a gun that would make anyone happy. I wouldn't own one in .40 and the new guns all come with that infuriating "power extractor" piece of crap.

I switched to Grams because I humbly found out that my +2 Dawsons made the mags too long.........:eek:

I run the AFTEC extractor in my STI and change out the springs and springs cap every season.

militarymoron
11-27-07, 19:44
i have grams pads for my para .45. but one of them let go during an IDPA match and ejected my ammo out the bottom with the spring hanging out. the top part of the two-piece pad had developed some cracks over time at the back. i sent them back to bevin and he replaced them with brand new ones.

rhino
11-28-07, 17:02
i have grams pads for my para .45. but one of them let go during an IDPA match and ejected my ammo out the bottom with the spring hanging out. the top part of the two-piece pad had developed some cracks over time at the back. i sent them back to bevin and he replaced them with brand new ones.

I heard that he would do that, but he never responded to any of my e-mail. I supposed I could have called on the telephone, but I forgot about it after a while. Plus, with my mag well, I would have had to weaken a new one exactly the same way, netting me nothing.

And of course, mine wasn't really a failure of the part (like yours) as much as a failure induced by a foolish modification on my part. So I didn't pursue it any further. I only need one "big stick" for my Para anyway, so it's no big deal.

Linea_de_Fuego
11-28-07, 22:11
I saw Beven last Saturday. He told me that he had not been in the shop during the Thanksgiving holiday. He absolutely does replace the mag bases, but he does like for you to send in the broken ones for this service.

rhino
11-29-07, 01:11
I saw Beven last Saturday. He told me that he had not been in the shop during the Thanksgiving holiday. He absolutely does replace the mag bases, but he does like for you to send in the broken ones for this service.

I did not intend to imply that this happened recently ... it happened in early July.

Linea_de_Fuego
11-29-07, 01:18
I heard that he would do that, but he never responded to any of my e-mail. I supposed I could have called on the telephone, but I forgot about it after a while. Plus, with my mag well, I would have had to weaken a new one exactly the same way, netting me nothing.

And of course, mine wasn't really a failure of the part (like yours) as much as a failure induced by a foolish modification on my part. So I didn't pursue it any further. I only need one "big stick" for my Para anyway, so it's no big deal.
You were right about the phone... I don't think Beven has ever answered an email of mine, but he has said he read them. ;)

Striker5
11-29-07, 06:47
I have an LS-9 that was practically a gift, I paid so little for it. It was jacked, but the owner was very clear about this and i still couldn't pass it up. I had 12 malfunctions in 100 rounds. Shipped it off, got it back same problem. Shipped it off and i just got it back. It's absolutley filthy, which is good because that means some one shot a lot, by the looks of things. This weekend will tell.

I will say that STI customer service is EXCELLENT. They have been courteous, professional and have done it on their dime. They have stood behind their product totally.

STI type guns aren't my cup of tea - I just couldn't pass up a deal. But if you get one they will take care of you. I commend them.

Billy Sparks
12-06-07, 07:09
I have a 9mm Ranger II (I think that is the name of it) it is more accurate than I am. Which really isn't saying anything, sigh. When I want to expose a new shooter to the 1911 platform I like to let them shoot it. Low recoil, but still a real cailber (sorry 22's don't do it for me). It was the first centerfire pistol I let me granddaughter shot.

Shihan
12-06-07, 12:41
Anyone have any direct feedback on the Spartan besides it using the Armscor frame and slide?