PDA

View Full Version : Identify this ammo, Nickle LC soft point?

eternal24k
11-15-11, 18:51
I was given a pile of this ammo, about 10% has a copper jacket, the rest has a gray jacket, moly? bi-metal? And a soft point.

Head marked LC 03 with NATO cross, red primer sealant. All nickle plated.

The story behind it is that it was left behind by Canadian LE or military at at a training session here in the states.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/001-20.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/002-17.jpg?t=1321404671

GunnutAF
11-15-11, 20:33
Some ones reloads- Lake City to my knowledge has never ran a production of soft point ammo- military ammo only FMJ!:rolleyes:

eternal24k
11-15-11, 20:37
Some ones reloads- Lake City to my knowledge has never ran a production of soft point ammo- military ammo only FMJ!:rolleyes:

I thought reloads at first, then i asked the back story. The primer appears to still have the original crimp, no handling marks so maybe unfired brass.
After talking to my friend he seemed to remember the Canadians mentioning Federal?

Belmont31R
11-15-11, 21:18

A few companies use LC brass including ATK (Federal) who is the current contractor who runs LC for the DOD.

DemonRat
11-15-11, 21:25
They look more like Winchesters to me as Federal has never used nickel/brass cases from what I can remember. I do recall Winchesters Supreme looking like these but it has been awhile since I have seen any of these. I know there silver tips had the black looking bullets like the ones in your pics but, they had of course, silver tips. From the picture the one on the right could be a reload. Also Hornady TAP use's the nickel/brass case also. If you could figure out what company use LC nickel/brass cases and the black colored SP bullets then you'd have you manufacturer. Unless there zinc plated steel then your guess is as good as mine. As long as they look GTG shoot-em. That's about all I can do to help you on this wish it could have been more.

chadbag
11-15-11, 22:51
It is possible it is something made on a Canadian contract and not a commercial loading.

Generalpie
11-16-11, 01:22
I don't have a host for the pics right handy but I have one of each of those in my hand. The moly coated is an older version of the Federal 62 Gr TBBC and the gold color is a newer version.

Current ones issued are FC 223 Rem brass but several older lots had LC brass with different years.

You could pull one down and weigh the projectile or shoot it through your windshield and see how it works. :D

Good deal for you, it is well over $20 a box when you can get it.

ETA: We have been using the Federal loadings for a long time and it has been at least 5-6 years since I have seen the black tip version. I have a few that have been chambered and are sitting in my "to be shot" pile and this one has a LC 03 headstamp. LC 05 on the other one.

markm
11-16-11, 07:28
That's Federal Bonded Soft point. It's a barrier type round. I have a few boxes in my cabinet now.

Please don't reply with idiotic speculation if you don't know what you're talking about. This isn't the Other SITE. :rolleyes:

Silver Box on the Bottom Left.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3495.jpg

markm
11-16-11, 07:46
A few companies use LC brass including ATK (Federal) who is the current contractor who runs LC for the DOD.

Exactly... the AE in the red box in my pic is loaded in LC brass 06.

eternal24k
11-16-11, 07:52
That's Federal Bonded Soft point. It's a barrier type round. I have a few boxes in my cabinet now.

Please don't reply with idiotic speculation if you don't know what you're talking about. This isn't the Other SITE. :rolleyes:

Silver Box on the Bottom Left.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3495.jpg
thanks man, this is looking like it.

Appreciate it. I was just going to plink away, but it looks like decent ammo, might save some for myself.

markm
11-16-11, 08:01
It's good stuff. The instructor at the Sheriff's Office here said it works pretty good... auto glass, etc.

tpd223
11-16-11, 11:12

I concur. We had a bunch of the 55gr and 62gr stuff in this style, which I liked because you couldn't get it mixed up with standard soft points.

FYI, I have seen LC brass used a bunch by Federal, and the current duty rifle load we issue is a 60gr Hornady but it's loaded in LC brass.