View Full Version : New Trijicon Battery Powered ACOG

Singlestack Wonder
11-16-11, 11:30
Saw this on another site:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3424-NEW-Trijicon-ACOG

Amicus
11-16-11, 15:52
Interesting ...

I buy ACOGs for their: toughness, optical quality, batteryless operation. Gotta say that two out of three ain't bad, and the last estimate I heard for tritium recharge was horrendous; but, right now, I might buy that sight merely because of the "Property of Trijicon" marking.

I'll stick with tritium (and the fiber optic illumination) for the time being.

C4IGrant
11-16-11, 16:01
Interesting ...

I buy ACOGs for their: toughness, optical quality, batteryless operation. Gotta say that two out of three ain't bad, and the last estimate I heard for tritium recharge was horrendous; but, right now, I might buy that sight merely because of the "Property of Trijicon" marking.

I'll stick with tritium (and the fiber optic illumination) for the time being.

Gotta remember that even if the batt fails, you will still see a reticle. So you will still retain some functionality.

Tritium pretty much sucks in the dark with a bright white light so this is actually a better option.

C4

Belloc
11-16-11, 16:06
Edit.

Eurodriver
11-16-11, 19:19
Why don't they work on better eye relief before they try to fix something that isn't broken.

bp7178
11-16-11, 19:25
I was never a fan of the eye releif of the TA31s, but the field of view is amazing, and its a durable, small and relatively light package.

I suspect changing the field of view would effect some of these other parameters.

The Tritrium is only useful if your eyes are adjusted for the dark. Any white light use of area of intermediate lighting, ie city street with street lights, the fiber optics are less than desireable.

ICANHITHIMMAN
11-16-11, 20:38
Well I dont think I will be buying that, but that doctor optic sure is sweet. I like the optic the way it is. What I want to see is better Accupoint options and a ballistic calculator on there web site.

bp7178
11-16-11, 22:23
but that doctor optic sure is sweet.

I think that was a response to everyone beating their helmets against the RMR mounted in the rear.

a0cake
11-16-11, 23:43
Trijicon is doing some interesting things. Good on them for pushing with the innovation.

However, if they fail to release a 1-6X or even a 1-8X Accupoint with a MIL reticle, MIL adjustments, and open turrets, they are missing the hell out of the point and are out of touch with the market.

Let's hope they don't disappoint.

Kchen986
11-17-11, 00:12
I think that was a response to everyone beating their helmets against the RMR mounted in the rear.

Ahhh, good point. I usually don't shoot my TA01/DOC with my helmet on, but I do remember beating my helmet against the doctor optic when I went in to 4x zoom.

If Trijicon released their 1-4x with a BDC then that'd be the cats meow.

C4IGrant
11-17-11, 08:49
Why don't they work on better eye relief before they try to fix something that isn't broken.

The only ACOG with poor eye relief (IMHO) is the 4X32 series.

The TA33 and TA11's are just fine.

C4

Eurodriver
11-17-11, 18:57
The only ACOG with poor eye relief (IMHO) is the 4X32 series.

The TA33 and TA11's are just fine.

C4

I agree, but the new Battery powered ACOG is 4x32. I hope its at least a little better.

Amicus
11-17-11, 21:12
I agree, but the new Battery powered ACOG is 4x32. I hope its at least a little better.

The listed specs state the ER is 1.5" -- same as the other 4x32s.

Quibble note: the compact TA50 has ER of 1.4", and boy does it feel like it.

Alaskapopo
11-17-11, 21:36

Because it is broke. In certain lighting conditions I found the ACOGS fiber optic and tritium match up all but useless and hence why I won't rely on an ACOG without a back up RDS sight in an off set mount. A battery powered one would not have these issues.
Pat

Nightvisionary
11-17-11, 23:48
As a Leupold fan it makes me wonder why Trijicon can manage to make it's first battery powered ACOG have a 12,000 hour battery life with a inexpensive, commonly available battery when Leupold has been doing it for years yet my MK 4 MR/T has at best a 200 hr battery life using a harder to find and expensive camera battery..:confused:

Dave L.
11-18-11, 02:15
I like this better than the FO/Tritium combo. I would rather see a 3X with longer eye relief, but it's a step in the right direction for a company who was getting a little stagnant.

Eurodriver
11-18-11, 06:56
Because it is broke. In certain lighting conditions I found the ACOGS fiber optic and tritium match up all but useless and hence why I won't rely on an ACOG without a back up RDS sight in an off set mount. A battery powered one would not have these issues.
Pat

What you've said is true but I must point out that the eye relief still sucks.

I have extensive time behind a TA31 and I personally own 3. I really like the optic and I feel that if the eye relief were fixed, using the BAC wouldn't be impossible regardless of the light conditions. (Not ideal, but not impossible)

Sure, its no Aimpoint RDS and the battery powered reticle fixes the dullness issue entirely. But what good is having a bright illuminated reticle if you have to be so close to the optic to get a good sight picture that your glasses are making contact with the lens?

Amicus
11-18-11, 08:00
I think what AlaskaPopo is getting at is the following problem with ACOGS:

You are shooting from near-complete darkness into a slightly lighter (grayish) area and the target is dark in color. In this case, the tritium does not have enough illumination to overcome the gray light, there is no ambient light to illuminate via the fiber optic, and the target (gray or dark in color) does not provide enough contrast for the reticule (black, in this case) to make out its position on the target.

lifebreath
11-18-11, 16:06
I'd like them just to add battery to the existing fiber optic.

I think the eye relief (or lack thereof) on the 4x32 is a function of its compactness. You will note that the models with long eye relief are longer and heavier for their given magnification and FOV. I don't find my 4x32 eye relief too objectionable, but the eye relief on my TA11 3.5x35 is great! While I consider the compact 4x32 a thing of pure beauty, perhaps the TA33 is the best combination of magnification, ER and weight/size.

Singlestack Wonder
11-18-11, 21:05
This could be Trijicon's response to the Browe Optic release. Browe is a company started by a former Trijicon employee and manufacturers 4x ACOG "like" scopes with battery powered illumination.

ICANHITHIMMAN
11-18-11, 21:56
What’s wrong with the tritium again? I love the fact that there are no batteries, and if the trit goes the optic still works. Carried the TAO1NSN in Iraq never had any issues at all, owned a TA31RCO, TAO1 and TA31F no issues there either. It doesn’t need a battery it needs a ballistic program and factory provided drop charts for commonly available factory loadings.

If I had the funds I would buy a TA11 right now!

Nightvisionary
11-19-11, 02:25
This could be Trijicon's response to the Browe Optic release. Browe is a company started by a former Trijicon employee and manufacturers 4x ACOG "like" scopes with battery powered illumination.

After looking at that scope Im very suprised that Trijicon doesn't have that company in court. It seems to have many near identical features.