PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer.

North
11-17-11, 01:12
Figured I'd say hello to everyone and thank everyone for the great information on this website. I was referred here by a friend (LEO). Not sure what to say but I'm a criminal justice major looking to become a LEO in the future. For exercise I lift weights and ride a mountain bike. I currently have a Glock 19 Gen4 and half of an AR (lower completed).

What training courses would you suggest for goals pertaining to a law enforcement career? If any suggestions pertain to a future in LE but are not firearms training related I could love to hear them, I am looking for everything I can get.

I will be attempting to take Level I Pistol, Level II Pistol, Level I Carbine, and Level II Carbine from Tiger Valley when I get the time, money, and finish my first AR.
http://www.tigervalley.com/index.php

Thanks again, North.

SteadyUp
11-17-11, 08:45
Welcome to M4C.

Good training courses for carbine and pistol will serve you well, LEO or not. As for LEO specific classes, I wouldn't know, as that is outside my lane.

durus5995
11-18-11, 01:32
Hey North I am in the same boat at you as far as being a CJ major with aspirations to become an LEO I will share with you what I Have done. Who knows if any of the following suggestions will help me but hey the way I look at it its more tools for the tool box for every day life.

I asked that same questions on what other training can I do to several of my professors who are police chiefs and other industry professionals and generally their response is to just get in shape and they will teach you everything at the academy.

I can understand where they are coming from but, I still want any advantage going in. So far I have taken some pistol classes through MDFI which included an introduction to low light shooting. I have also taken a less lethal defensive option class through a company named Blue Cell Protective Services and they had a really great intro to ground fighting segment where I learned some severe limitations. They also have an OC segment where students can volunteer to take a hit as well as some scenario training. Guess which retard volunteered?:smile: Now I am looking for more ground fighting and hand to hand training in my area.

Have you looked into any reserve units in your area? I know their is one around here that will put you through a full in house academy and they will certify you for firearms while on duty with a full time LEO. Some others that are around my area they only let you carry OC spray.

Another thing that might help is have you ever gone though an interview board? I can tell you they are like unlike any other job interview I have ever had. The one I did for the above reserve program and it was more of an interrogation than an interview.

One last thing is does the school you attend have something like a Criminal Justice Society that you can join? Ours is more less a club for CJ majors. The nice thing about it is they bring in a lot of industry professionals such as FBI, DEA, Secret Service, County Sheriff, forensic labs analyst, etc... and let them give you presentation on what they do and what you need to do to get that particular job. It is also a very useful networking tool.

Hopefully I have helped you in some way.

North
11-19-11, 01:11
Another thing that might help is have you ever gone though an interview board?

Thank you all for the replies. Yes I have gone through a interrogation styled interview. I was being drilled by 4 guys harder then a hooker in a gangbang. I'll look up some hand to hand combat courses. There is a police academy at my college you can pay for on your own and get the TCLEOSE certification to be a peace officer in TX but then you still have to be hired and commissioned in by a department. Overall I'd say worth it. My college does have a CJ Club however meet times are not in my schedule. I know ride-alongs are great ways to meet other officers and learn the ropes while still being a citizen. So I might try that again, I did this back in '08/'09 and I learned a little.