PDA

View Full Version : FNG from NJ checking in

Shooter McGavin
11-27-07, 10:21
Hey all.

I've been lurking here off and on for a while now and decided to give the community here a go.

I've been exposed to guns all of my life since my dad was an avid collector and shooter. We have mostly bolt action rifles, shotguns and pistols with a few Civil War era guns thrown in as well.

My collection is meager. These are the guns my dad got me when I was growing up.

Ithaca 20ga pump
Remington 788 .223
Browning .22 semi-auto
Rossi .22 pump

The saddest part is that my collection used to be twice as large but I sold most of it because I thought I was getting engaged and i wanted cash quickly. This is a list of what I bought myself and sold off:

H&K P7M8
Browning Hi-power 9mm 13 rd mags
S&W 4006 .40 cal
Les Baer 1911 Concept III
Springfield Armory compact .45 (Customized by Carter Custom, Arkansas)
Marlin 336 .35 w/ Tasco 4x
Remington 700 .308
Remington 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag w/ Leupold Vari-X III 3x9

I regret giving them up each day.

I am getting the Les Baer back soon as soon as I get my Permit to Purchase back. I have a line on the Springfield Armory so that's hopeful.

I am dying to get the Browning Hi-Power back and hopefully i can track down the owner and make an offer. I have the consignment slip from that gun shop that sold it. I loved that gun though the LB was my favorite I shot the high power the best.

A little while ago i had a buddy of mine ask me if I wanted to go shooting. I asked him what he was bringing and he said just come over. I got to his house and he had an Armalite AR-10, a Bushmaster AR-15 and a FAL.

I am a neophyte when it comes to these weapons but I fell in love with them that day. I am in a place right now where I am in the market to buy something similar.

After using the search feature here I am looking at the Colt MT6400C. I'd like the LE6920 but because I live in New Jersey I am limited in my options.

Once I get my Les Baer back i'll be saving my sheckles for the Colt.

Safetyhit
11-27-07, 22:38
Hello and welcome aboard.

Yes, the 6400 is the way to go in N.J. Sad (or do I mean good?), you can go just across the bridge into PA and get that 6920. :( :) :mad: :confused:

The 6400 that I have is great, but I only have about 1,600 rounds through it. I am sure it will be fine for many more, though.

DirtDiver71
11-27-07, 22:52
welcome.. from one FNG to another..

Hey shooter!! Wanna go to Red Lobster?

Norva
11-27-07, 23:55
Man you need to get out of that stupid state. Crime is high in the state yet they have super gun control.

Shooter McGavin
11-28-07, 07:24
Thanks for the welcome guys. I have a lot to learn.

NJ is rough with the gun control but I don't see myself moving anytime soon.

What are the legal implications of me going to PA purchasing the 6920 and bringing it home? My brother lives in PA about 45 minutes west of Philadelphia.

Safetyhit
11-28-07, 08:46
What are the legal implications of me going to PA purchasing the 6920 and bringing it home? My brother lives in PA about 45 minutes west of Philadelphia.

A bad idea. A noble one, but still a bad idea. I am not 100% certain, but I believe you can do time for owning a 6920 in N.J., or even a 30 round magazine. There is no law preventing me, as a N.J. resident, from going to South Philly and getting one, but bringing it back over the bridge is where you have the problem.

Still, if anyone is certain of the law or it's potential punishment, we would be interested anyway.

5POINT56
11-28-07, 08:47
What does "FNG" stand for?

5POINT56
11-28-07, 08:52
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=NJ

New Jersey law restricts the ownership of certain semi-automatic and other firearms based upon their military appearance. A specific list of restricted “assault firearms” is maintained by the New Jersey State Police. It includes many widely available firearms, and is subject to change and modification. Contact the New Jersey State Police for Information regarding which firearms are “assault firearms.” An “assault firearm” also includes any semiautomatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a conspicuous pistol grip, or a folding stock; a semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds; a part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an “assault firearm,” or any combination of parts from which an “assault firearm” may be readily assembled. Any magazine with a capacity greater than fifteen rounds is prohibited, even if there is no semi-automatic firearm to accompany the magazine unless the person has a registered “assault firearm” and the magazine is used for DCM sanctioned shooting matches.

Bringing a 6920 from PA to NJ for your ownership would very likely be a felony. You happen to live in the one State whose firearms laws in many ways are more restrictive than CA, which is difficult to imagine....but true.

rubberneck
11-28-07, 09:48
Buy a 6920 from a dealer in Pa. and then take it to a Pa. gunsmith to have the stock pinned, the bayonet lug removed and a comp pinned on it. That's what I did with my rifle (LMT upper Stag lower) and it came out really nicely. It just takes longer and is a real pain in the ass, but I wasn't willing to settle for a DPMS or Bushmaster that ever NJ gun store loves to push. If you do a search here you will find some pictures of my gun. BTW The Brick Armory in Brick NJ makes 15 round NJ legal mags out of Bushmaster 20 rounders.

DrMark
11-28-07, 10:40
Welcome, Shooter McGavin... I think.

Are you the same "Shooter McGavin" that trolls the www.opencarry.org forum?

What does "FNG" stand for?
Friggin' New Guy

Shooter McGavin
11-28-07, 14:36
Welcome, Shooter McGavin... I think.

Are you the same "Shooter McGavin" that trolls the www.opencarry.org forum?

Yeah, that's not me. This is my first gun forum.

I just thought the movie was funny and the name kinda stuck in my head. No significance to the name it's what first popped in my head when I had to come up with a name here.

Shooter McGavin
11-28-07, 14:39
Buy a 6920 from a dealer in Pa. and then take it to a Pa. gunsmith to have the stock pinned, the bayonet lug removed and a comp pinned on it. That's what I did with my rifle (LMT upper Stag lower) and it came out really nicely. It just takes longer and is a real pain in the ass, but I wasn't willing to settle for a DPMS or Bushmaster that ever NJ gun store loves to push. If you do a search here you will find some pictures of my gun. BTW The Brick Armory in Brick NJ makes 15 round NJ legal mags out of Bushmaster 20 rounders.

Why not just get a Colt MT6400C ? Is there an added benefit besides the compensator, bayonet lug and adjustable stock for me to have a 6920 legalized rather than get the MT6400C?

DrMark
11-28-07, 14:43
Yeah, that's not me. This is my first gun forum.

Good! We don't need trolls.

Welcome.

Shooter McGavin
11-28-07, 15:21
Good! We don't need trolls.

Welcome.

I agree. Thanks for the welcome.

I have a lot to learn.

Renegade
11-28-07, 15:42
There is no law preventing me, as a N.J. resident, from going to South Philly and getting one,

Buy a 6920 from a dealer in Pa. and

It is a violation of Federal law.... An out of state resident cannot buy a gun unless it is in accordance with both the laws of the state they are in, and the state they are a resident of. Since a 6920 is not legal in NJ, the PA/FFL should not sell it to you, and you should not buy it if he does.

rubberneck
11-28-07, 16:08
It is a violation of Federal law.... An out of state resident cannot buy a gun unless it is in accordance with both the laws of the state they are in, and the state they are a resident of. Since a 6920 is not legal in NJ, the PA/FFL should not sell it to you, and you should not buy it if he does.

Care to site a federal reg on that one?

Renegade
11-28-07, 16:13
Care to site a federal reg on that one?

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE, PART I--CRIMES, CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS, Sec. 922. Unlawful acts

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
deliver--

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has
reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is
a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of
business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is
located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale
or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other
than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if
the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the
transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the
legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed
manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of
this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to
have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances
of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a
firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting
purposes;

There is also CFR, and 4473 falsification issues as well.

rubberneck
11-28-07, 16:48
TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE, PART I--CRIMES, CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS, Sec. 922. Unlawful acts

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
deliver--

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has
reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is
a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of
business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is
located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale
or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other
than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if
the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the
transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the
legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed
manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of
this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to
have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances
of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a
firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting
purposes;

There is also CFR, and 4473 falsification issues as well.

Wow. Then there is a metric ass load of Pa. dealers that either don't know the law, have been told otherwise that it is a legal practice despite what you cited or they don't give a rats ass and do it anyways.

That being said there should be no problem during a transfer through a gunsmith or a shop with a gunsmith and having the work done before it is officially transferred into your name.

Abraxas
11-28-07, 16:59
All I can say is WOW. I knew that there was a reason that I never moved to NJ. Those laws are a nightmare. I feel for any and all gun lovers in that state.

Joseywales
11-29-07, 19:33
All I can say is WOW. I knew that there was a reason that I never moved to NJ. Those laws are a nightmare. I feel for any and all gun lovers in that state.

+1 The happiest day of my life was when I moved out of New Jersey.

Abraxas
11-29-07, 20:11
Yeah, but Ill is not much better with their gun laws either. But the state as a whole is.

Abraxas
11-29-07, 20:13

The quote was supposed to be in my last post. oops

rubberneck
11-30-07, 08:43

I see you live in Illinois. Should you really be talking about NJ gun laws when you live in a state that wants to ban all "assault weapons" to the point that major manufacturers have either left or making plans to do so.