PDA

View Full Version : 12" or 9" M203? Cant find much on pros and cons.

mstennes
11-17-11, 14:04
I'm going to do a 203, but, (unless my search is fu) I cant seem to find out much on the differences. What are the Pros and Cons of each? I'm putting this on my 14.5 M4gery (pinned FH to make 16"), if that helps?

Iraqgunz
11-17-11, 14:37
May I ask why you are going to buy it? Just trying to wrap my head around its' purpose.

mstennes
11-17-11, 14:50
May I ask why you are going to buy it? Just trying to wrap my head around its' purpose.

It may seem like a real stupid reason, but I can. We can have everything except SBS's, SBR's and full autos here in Washington. I figure I have spent more on really stupid stuff in my life, I have always wanted one, now I can afford one. The rest of my collection is complete, as far as stuff I want. I don't know if ever it will get HE, bit everything else will get used. If I can get approval, I might do some HE, between a friend and I we have over 6000 acres next to each other of farm land, so we have the place to do it, if it's legal by BATF, than what the heck. Also my kids are all gone, so now I have time to do some crazy, fun things. That help?

sinister
11-17-11, 14:58
Bottom line, the 9-inch balances better under an M4 (and doesn't stick out as far, looking goofy).

If you're shooting no-shit 40mm HEDP rounds the farthest you're going to get is about 400 yards...maybe a little less with the 9-incher, but not so much you'd notice.

12-inches:
http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/USSOCOM_Training/a_aft01.jpg

9-inches:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEd9uZcYZsxy1Py07jlNDqyFNw_97G0VWexTzqJdgTMEwiXY_Z

Iraqgunz
11-17-11, 15:22
I am simply asking because many people assume that once you have the weapon you are good to go and that's not the case. HEDP rounds are also destructive devices and each one requires a tax stamp as well. In addition trying to find them is almost impossible.

TPT rounds are available, but again the per unit cost means that you will be limited as to how much you can shoot.

As sinister point out. The real difference is the length (one was originally designed for the M16A2 and the other for the M4) and you will get a little less range out of it.

It may seem like a real stupid reason, but I can. We can have everything except SBS's, SBR's and full autos here in Washington. I figure I have spent more on really stupid stuff in my life, I have always wanted one, now I can afford one. The rest of my collection is complete, as far as stuff I want. I don't know if ever it will get HE, bit everything else will get used. If I can get approval, I might do some HE, between a friend and I we have over 6000 acres next to each other of farm land, so we have the place to do it, if it's legal by BATF, than what the heck. Also my kids are all gone, so now I have time to do some crazy, fun things. That help?

mstennes
11-17-11, 23:49
Bottom line, the 9-inch balances better under an M4 (and doesn't stick out as far, looking goofy).

If you're shooting no-shit 40mm HEDP rounds the farthest you're going to get is about 400 yards...maybe a little less with the 9-incher, but not so much you'd notice.

12-inches:
http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/USSOCOM_Training/a_aft01.jpg

9-inches:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEd9uZcYZsxy1Py07jlNDqyFNw_97G0VWexTzqJdgTMEwiXY_Z

Awesome, thanks!

mstennes
11-17-11, 23:53
I am simply asking because many people assume that once you have the weapon you are good to go and that's not the case. HEDP rounds are also destructive devices and each one requires a tax stamp as well. In addition trying to find them is almost impossible.

TPT rounds are available, but again the per unit cost means that you will be limited as to how much you can shoot.

As sinister point out. The real difference is the length (one was originally designed for the M16A2 and the other for the M4) and you will get a little less range out of it.

Yes, the 203, is just the start, the HEDP, are not just expensive, but a bunker/magazine for storage, that from my impression, is about impossible to get passed. I looked into all thats available, with the availability, and price I doubt any HEDP would be worth the hassle, and as far as storage also. It will be used for everything thats not a real pita, to store, and purchase (DD's), but even then, who knows? At least once, maybe twice?

Iraqgunz
11-18-11, 01:14
Explosive rated containers are a bit pricy. I believe that the storage aspect is dictated by the quantity and classification. Armagcorp makes some that are ATF/MIL approved and we had some of them when I was in Bahrain.

I guess the cool factor is there, but I would rather spend that money of several cases of IMI ammo.

Yes, the 203, is just the start, the HEDP, are not just expensive, but a bunker/magazine for storage, that from my impression, is about impossible to get passed. I looked into all thats available, with the availability, and price I doubt any HEDP would be worth the hassle, and as far as storage also. It will be used for everything thats not a real pita, to store, and purchase (DD's), but even then, who knows? At least once, maybe twice?

markm
11-18-11, 08:02
There were a few guys out here who had them. (203s) At 1200 bucks new, they were an expensive toy.

If you were set up to reload for them, it might be cool. It's silly that they're a DD, but you can't practically get any of the grenades for it that make it an actual DD.

mstennes
11-18-11, 09:07
Explosive rated containers are a bit pricy. I believe that the storage aspect is dictated by the quantity and classification. Armagcorp makes some that are ATF/MIL approved and we had some of them when I was in Bahrain.

I guess the cool factor is there, but I would rather spend that money of several cases of IMI ammo.

It is just the cool factor, I know it makes no sense, I reload, right now, I have such stock piles, that it needs a bunker. I know it makes no sense, but right now where I'm at in life, I have the firearms I want, house is paid for, kids are gone, its kind of a bucket list thing. I want a half track to, also since I was a kid, I just cant seem to find a worthy rebuilder, or a complete one, thats not waaaaay over proced.

Silent
11-18-11, 09:11
I say if you have the funds that will make ya happy knock yourself out.. The 9 balances on a M4 much better as others have said

buddyhoohaw
11-18-11, 09:36
In order to maintain even a temporary magazine, you will need to have an Explosive Siting Plan (ESP) and Explosive Safety Submission (ESS) approved by the Department of Defense Explosive Safety Board (DDESB) which I seriously doubt will be granted for a hobbyist.

Cheers

sinister
11-18-11, 10:31
...or you can shoot 12 gauge slugs with an adaptor:

http://mr40mm.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/image462.7291746_std.png

ezed
11-18-11, 11:06

I have been wanting a 203 also and pretty much for the same reason as stated above. Cool as heck. However, I would not be doing the 40mm thing. My thoughts would be to put a 37mm barrel on it and the the 12 ga insert thing. No DD paperwork is necessary without the barrel. (correct thinking or flawed?) Haven't done much checking into this yet, but wouldn't the 203 receiver have to be registered as a short barrelled shotgun if it had the insert? ie. $200 stamp?

QuietShootr
11-18-11, 11:10
In order to maintain even a temporary magazine, you will need to have an Explosive Siting Plan (ESP) and Explosive Safety Submission (ESS) approved by the Department of Defense Explosive Safety Board (DDESB) which I seriously doubt will be granted for a hobbyist.

Cheers

It can be done - and as a civilian you don't go through DoD, it's ATF and local fire code (which usually follows NFPA regs on explosive magazines.)

markm
11-18-11, 12:05

They need to make one of those adapters in 300 BLK! ;)

buddyhoohaw
11-18-11, 12:17
It can be done - and as a civilian you don't go through DoD, it's ATF and local fire code (which usually follows NFPA regs on explosive magazines.)

Copy that. Was typing from memory rather than reference. ATF regs are applicable not DoD.

Cheers

BSmith
11-18-11, 13:44
It was my understanding that they went with the 9" to stop the muzzle blast of the rifle from hurting the M203. Probably not an issue if you aren't going to war though.

JasonM
11-18-11, 16:39
Having had lots of access to 40mm (on the civilian side), i have to say chalk rounds and shotgun rounds get boring as hell quickly.

BUT, hey, if you want it, go for it. It's definitely a conversation piece.

http://www.tenpoundmonkey.com/web/40-1.jpg

And, this is a recipe for a fun afternoon:

http://www.tenpoundmonkey.com/web/40-2.jpg