PDA

View Full Version : roll your own buffer?

chuckocaster
11-17-11, 18:49
maybe a total newb question, but after getting my H2 in the mail i'm wondering why i can't just take the stock buffer apart and add more weight to it. i have a metal shop at my house and various pieces of round stock laying around. the weights are listed in the buffer sticky so i don't really see any reason i couldn't just modify the one i'm not using.

so is this possible, and if any of you guys have done this what has been your experience with it?

GTifosi
11-17-11, 19:05
If you have tungsten round stock you can do it, otherwise if you're just talking steel stock, you wouldn't be making any weight difference to even make it worth the effort even knocking the roll pin out.
You'd be better off turning a steel buffer body to replace the aluminum one at that stage, complete with center bore to accept the wieghts as they are a vital part of function, then cross drill or relieve the turning to get the weight where you want it.

Keep your standard buffer, get an H3, and between the two you can make any of the regular weight buffers by juggling internal bits.

Todd.K
11-17-11, 19:05
Heavy buffers use tungsten weights in place of the 3 steel weights in a standard carbine buffer, one in an H, 2 in an H2, 3 in an H3.

Neo Mara
11-17-11, 19:19
If you end up rolling your own tungsten weights consider selling them. I never could find a place to buy just the weights and I wouldnt mind having a couple extra. Would be interested as long as they are to spec, right alloy, weight, etc.

MarkG
11-17-11, 20:01
If you end up rolling your own tungsten weights consider selling them. I never could find a place to buy just the weights and I wouldnt mind having a couple extra. Would be interested as long as they are to spec, right alloy, weight, etc.

$25 each... How many do you want? I'll even provide you a copy of the of the manufacturers COC.

Iraqgunz
11-17-11, 22:40
I have always wanted to reinvent the wheel. I just can't find a decent wheel to make.

Dunderway
11-17-11, 22:42
I was considering buying a couple of H3's to canibalize and make multiple C's into H's/H2's. Seems cheaper than just having a big box of Carbine buffers sitting there doing nothing.

broylz
11-17-11, 23:21
i also mix my own. i had a carbine buffer that the roll pin backed out on me and was dragging in the buffer tube. it was then i realised how easily i could do this myself instead of just buying a H buffer, i got the h3 and mix them to suit the load.

markm
11-18-11, 08:12
Just poor some Tungsten powder in there! Just Kidding.

I know buffers are very expensive... like $30. It'd pay off quickly to make your own internals. :dance3:

JSantoro
11-18-11, 09:09
Seems cheaper

Pivotal word of this entire thread, within the pivotal phrase.

All the time I'll spent diss'ing/ass'ing an otherwise drop-in part being of greater value over an extended timeline than the one-time $11-$38 bucks each different-weight buffer costs: https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=buffer

....I wouldn't be shocked to find out that that's a congressional mathematical model for finance reform.

Additionally, the idea that an inanimate spare part should be doing something to have intrinsic value....sounds like a metaphysical argument or something Schroedinger would have ginned up. It's a buffer, not the brother-in-law crashing on your couch. :p

SomeOtherGuy
11-18-11, 11:13
Just poor some Tungsten powder in there!

Careful, you might give some manufacturer an idea. :smile:

Dunderway
11-18-11, 22:03
Additionally, the idea that an inanimate spare part should be doing something to have intrinsic value....sounds like a metaphysical argument or something Schroedinger would have ginned up. It's a buffer, not the brother-in-law crashing on your couch. :p

That was pretty damn funny:D

I actually looked at BCM before I posted. Assuming that you have two lazy ass carbine buffers lying around you could spend $38 on and H3 and within 15 minutes have three H buffers. Buying those three buffers outright would cost $69.

Like you, I would probably just eat the $31 and buy the correctly marked buffers, but I've seen people on this site waste more time for less. Like grinding the nub off of an A2 grip instead of throwing it away and buying an A1, but in the end they saved $20 instead of piling more junk.

Dienekes
11-24-11, 10:32
I thought I was the only one frugal (cheap) enough to grind down an A2 pistol grip. Those A1 grips are getting hard to find...

Ring
11-25-11, 12:10
Just poor some Tungsten powder in there! Just Kidding.

I know buffers are very expensive... like $30. It'd pay off quickly to make your own internals. :dance3:

y not?... they sell it at golf shops,...

http://www.amazon.com/Tungsten-Powder/dp/B005S1I8EG

IndianaBoy
11-29-11, 21:16
I made a lighter buffer by taking out 2 weights and replacing them with Delrin spacers to match the weight of a JP lightened buffer.

It's for a 3-gun rifle with an adjustable gas block and a lightened carrier.

As for a heavier carbine buffer? I just bought an H2 for a different rifle. I don't have any tungsten laying around.