PDA

View Full Version : Eleven Bravo: Because Precision Matters

OneOneBravo
11-17-11, 19:01
Psalm 144:1
"Blessed be the LORD my GOD, who teacheth my hands to war..."
Psalm 144:1

A little background:

I am a former US Army enlisted Infantryman, and a current retired Trauma/General Surgeon. I put my two loves together and decided to make knives, not for survival, or bushcraft, but, plain and simple, to confront the enemy. I put my countless hours in the Operating Room repairing hideous injuries, and my experiences in the Jungles of Panama, as an Infantryman, in to every knife design. I have managed to put together a small shop within the last year and am proud to show my first two handmade knives. As some of you know, it has been a long process getting things just right. All my knives have what I call a Scalpel grind, which is a modified Scandi grind, a very under utilized grind, on the battlefield, in my opinion. It is stronger than a hollow grind, and sharper than a convex grind, not to mention, it is very easy to maintain, at night, when the moon is out, and you barley have enough energy to powder your feet and oil your battle rifle.

The large one is called the Eleven Bravo, and the smaller, O'Dark Thirty. O'Dark Thirty is a utility blade, for opening MRE's, or cutting chores in and around your hooch. It is meant to be a companion blade to its bigger brother, but in a pinch, is a rather intense slasher in it's own right. The Eleven Bravo is patterned after a Number 11 Scalpel blade, which is used in Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Surgery to puncture holes in the skin in order to pass narrow surgical instruments. The knife has a blade optimized to penetrate living tissue, and in particular, the thoracic cavity. It will simply dissect the ribcage, bone and all, and easily penetrate the vital organs of the mid thorax. The blade is long enough to reach the Abdominal Aorta, that lies in the posterior abdomen, from a frontal stab wound. The blade is specially ground with both a forehand edge and a reversehand edge to be used in an overhead attack, or the more discreet, under-waist attack, from below, which is much harder to see and defend against. The knife will leave such a wound, that the enemy will likely expire, even if he is standing next to a Trauma Surgeon. The blade is designed to place tension on the wound and then sever what it penetrates. It will preform when the chips are down, and your battle rifle is out of commission. It is to be kept sheathed, and kept sharp for just such a time as it is needed to end a potential deadly encounter with your foe. It is not a pry bar. It needs to be treated like the fine instrument that it is. The Eleven Bravo is for close combat, plain and simple.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02104.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02105.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02106.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02107.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02108.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02109.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02110.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02111.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02112.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02114.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/DSC02115.jpg

Thank You for looking.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/oneonebravo/Stamp1.jpg

Below, I have provided a link to a video I shot a few days ago of my newly finished home knifeshop. Thank you for watching. Miguel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nsJtv9j4BQ

Neo Mara
11-17-11, 19:28
I'm not much into knives but these are beautiful and I love hand made stuff. You selling these yet? Do you have a website?

OneOneBravo
11-18-11, 13:21
Thanks a lot, Sir. I will be selling them soon. I am also beginning work on a web page. The Eleven Bravo will be $249 and the O'Dark Thirty will be $149. Thank you for your interest. I am excited about the designs. I am very happy that you like them. I did not know if they'd be well received because they are a little different, and I am not a traditional knifemaker. I kinda taught myself, with some help from friends. I was going for function first and foremost. I believe that if something is truly functional, it will have it's own beauty. I hope I was right. They are pretty to me, and have been a pleasure to design and manufacture. Have a great day. Miguel

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-18-11, 19:00
What steel are you using?

Is it a true scandi or is scandi with a slight convex?

Are both sides sharpened?

Are you offering a sheath, and if not have you lined up any sheath makers with a sample of your knife for future work?

Have you though adding more of a choil and thumramp to the 11B rather than simple jimping? The reason I ask is because of the risk of hand slipping forward during a thrust.

OneOneBravo
11-18-11, 19:43
I'm using 1095 for now. More exotic steels will be coming in the future.

Yes it's a true Scandi, but few people in the US know what that is, and I'm an American, not a Scandinavian, so I call it a Scalpel grind. Not many Tactical Knives are using that grind and I think it's superior. The ODT pictured has a compound grind that will not be offered. That one is my personal knife. Future models will have a full chisel Scalpel grind.

Both sides are RAZOR sharp. It is necessary. It has an unsharpened ramp just behind the primary edge that allows vital organs to ride up it, providing tension, and when it slips onto the secondary edge, it will slice, cleanly, and provide massive trauma that will be difficult to repair. Nobody is doing that. Nowhere. The knife needs to be kept sharp. If you push it hard enough it will sever the spine, bone and all.

Yes, I make my own sheaths and am currently developing a new design that may appear on future models.

Your hand will not slip. If you close your fist around that grip, it is impossible for your hand to slip. The grip is designed to lock your hand in. It has a very deep front choil, and a very aggressive pattern on the handle. The knife is dangerous, and meant for a skilled operator. It is dangerous, much in the same way as a Fighter Jet is dangerous. If you operate it correctly, and with skill, you will never get hurt, and it will be one of the deadliest knives on the battlefield, hands down. Dangerous tools, like dangerous people, require the operator to exist in the danger zone. This knife will flat out preform. Period. You wont get cut if you grip the knife and allow the handle to do it's job. Sure, as with any knife, the potential exist to get seriously hurt. This knife is no different. If you are concerned, then maybe a Strider knife is the right one for you.

Thanks for looking.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-19-11, 12:50
OneOneBravo,

looks like you really did your homework. I think if I was living in a remote FOB or manning an LP/OP I wouldnt mind having one of these on my plate carrier (but I'm no trigger puller, just a POG with an affection for cool shit). Your G10 work looks really nice, and I trust that it is grippy enough to keep from slipping. I hate knives with guards anyways, I'm a bushcrafter by trade.

I'm actually very interested in the O Dark Thirty, as it looks like it could be inconspicously worn horizontally on the belt and drawn very quickly. Does your sheat allow for horizontal mounting?

OneOneBravo
11-19-11, 13:19
I'm actually very interested in the O Dark Thirty, as it looks like it could be inconspicously worn horizontally on the belt and drawn very quickly. Does your sheat allow for horizontal mounting?

That is EXACTLY how I intend it to be worn. Strong side, horizontal appendix carry. I am currently trying to figure out a way to mount it that is thin, light weight, and inconspicuous. LOL! It is funny that you said that. Great minds think alike (or something like that). That little knife packs a wallup. It's a lot of knife in a small package. The newer versions have a generous lanyard hole, to attach a 1 inch section of 550 cord to, to give your pinky finger something to hold on to, and nice aggressive file work on the spine.

I need the right little metal spring clip to attach to a Kydex holster. Any suggestions?

ap1220
11-19-11, 15:57
My God! It looks like you ripped that thing right out of a dragon or shark's mouth!

Amazing work!

sniperfrog
11-21-11, 14:39
Nice work Doc!

I train Fillipino Kali, which has alot of blade work. The big thing that's stressed in Kali is disarming your opponent by neutralizing his ability to use his own weapon. There's alot of slashing at the bicep and/or forearm of his weapon hand before going for the throat or other vital areas. I'm always debating with myself on what knife would work best for a self defense situation. With your backround it looks like you figured it out.

What's the blade length on the eleven bravo?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-23-11, 16:58
OneOneBravo, why did you remove the first post. What happened on the other forum?

40calfragout
12-02-11, 12:16
OneOneBravo, why did you remove the first post. What happened on the other forum?

i would like to know as well. as a fellow 11B i got kind of excited to see what you have to offer

eta you cant please everyone

OneOneBravo
12-09-11, 15:27
i would like to know as well. as a fellow 11B i got kind of excited to see what you have to offer

eta you cant please everyone

Thank you for your continued interest. I decided to repost. Several establishment knife makers came down on me for using violent truthful words to describe why I designed the Eleven Bravo. After discussing it with several well placed friends and brothers in arms in various military units, I decided to leave things much as they were and disregard the establishment way of thinking. My knives will do what I designed them to do. I'd stake my life one it, so I feel comfortable asking you to do the same.

Backstop
12-09-11, 15:57
You want to cut something and make it die, who better to call than a trauma surgeon.

Nice designs, congrats, and best wishes with your business.

Have to tell you that when I saw that knife, first thing I thought of was an #11 blade. (I did medical stuff for a while).

:D

OneOneBravo
12-09-11, 16:02
You want to cut something and make it die, who better to call than a trauma surgeon.

Nice designs, congrats, and best wishes with your business.

Have to tell you that when I saw that knife, first thing I thought of was an #11 blade. (I did medical stuff for a while).

:D

Thank you, Sir. I really appreciate that.:D

bignc
12-13-11, 13:54
I am no soldier or LEO or even a pretender fan-boy. I am a Financial Consultant for Pete's sake. I like glocks and sigs in hand-guns because they work even if they are uglier than crap. Those blades are- as I believe you intended- functionally gorgeous. I have spine tingling little hairs on my neck standing up just thinking about the damage either one would do. Beautiful looking work!

trinydex
12-18-11, 23:14
super unnerving to read you talk about what these blades are supposed to do so... medically...

JohnnyC
12-19-11, 06:32
super unnerving to read you talk about what these blades are supposed to do so... medically...

That's the part I appreciate. Let's be honest, we base our guns on their ability to reliably shoot people in the face if the need arises, why should we pussy-foot around the issue of a knife causing rapid exanguination.

Jack-O
12-19-11, 09:17
having only recently encountered a scandinavian grind on a Mora knife I immediately asked "why are ALL knives not ground like this?" suddenly every other knife grind just looked stupid.

wierd huh?

nobody knows
12-29-11, 16:33
I think most people have a deep fear of knives because of how personal and violent an attack must be to rapidly incapacitat an enemy. Most people have a hard time doing it with a rifle/pistol from a distance, let alone with a blade at contact distance while your covered in there blood. And anytime both parties are armed with a knife both parties WILL be cut/seriously injured/maimed/killed there is no such thing as a glamorous knife fight.

On to the knives it is vary obvious this man knows what makes a good cutting blade. The modified warnclife primary is ideal for slashing and the "wedge" shape coupled with the sharpened secondary edge, will as already mentioned put pressure on ether side of the wound and promote deep penetration and severe injuries. Lastly the the tip appears to be center-line with the handle so all energy is dumpe into the Target. It seems to possess all the necessary
attributes to make it a capable weapon in trained hands.

Good his.

gun71530
12-31-11, 23:34
As a recently medically retired 11B, I would love to get one of your OneOneBravos'

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Serpico1985
01-01-12, 16:28
I like your attitude towards this. I would relate the way a knife cuts to the way a bullet penetrates. You don't hear gun manufactures saying "don't talk about happens once the bullets enters the body".

I don't know $hit about knives but I'd feel better about buying a knife designed to end a life/stop a threat built buy someone who spent time fixing those wounds.

I'd buy one! Keep us posted please.

Thank you for your continued interest. I decided to repost. Several establishment knife makers came down on me for using violent truthful words to describe why I designed the Eleven Bravo. After discussing it with several well placed friends and brothers in arms in various military units, I decided to leave things much as they were and disregard the establishment way of thinking. My knives will do what I designed them to do. I'd stake my life one it, so I feel comfortable asking you to do the same.

JohnnyC
11-06-12, 09:00
I know this is sort of a necro post but did anything ever come of this? I was interested.

Jason F
11-06-12, 10:00
I sent 11B several PM's and an email with inquiries about his knife... Never heard anything back.