PDA

View Full Version : holdover with "post" style reticle(s)

mattjmcd
11-27-07, 12:49
How does one handle holdover with something like the Trijicon Accupoint, which features a post style reticle? I am asking about the low power variable, specifically.

Is it even an issue at the ranges one would expect to use a 1-4x? It occurs to me that you could zero the optic and use it the same way you'd use the irons at ranges up to 200-300yds with a battlesight zero. This would (more or less)negate the need for any real holdover, wouldn't it? Am I all wet on this?

Sorry for the newb sounding question, btw. I am not new to the AR platform, but I've never had the need for a scoped rifle, so magnified optics are a bit of a mystery. I am asking since I AM in fact interested in a low power variable for a new upper, and the Accupoint is on my short list, along with the Leupold CQ/T.

Thanks.

C4IGrant
11-27-07, 13:12
How does one handle holdover with something like the Trijicon Accupoint, which features a post style reticle? I am asking about the low power variable, specifically.

Is it even an issue at the ranges one would expect to use a 1-4x? It occurs to me that you could zero the optic and use it the same way you'd use the irons at ranges up to 200-300yds with a battlesight zero. This would (more or less)negate the need for any real holdover, wouldn't it? Am I all wet on this?

Sorry for the newb sounding question, btw. I am not new to the AR platform, but I've never had the need for a scoped rifle, so magnified optics are a bit of a mystery. I am asking since I AM in fact interested in a low power variable for a new upper, and the Accupoint is on my short list, along with the Leupold CQ/T.

Thanks.

You really cannot hold over with the TR21 and to be honest, if you believe that the AR (in 223) is a 200M weapon then there really is no need to hold over. I would zero the weaon at either 50yds or 100yds. If you zero at 50yds, your next zero is going to be around 200yds (depending on ammo, barrel length, etc).

C4

rob_s
11-27-07, 14:26
I have, in the past, used the posts under the reticles of my Compact ACOGs for holdover at close range, but since I can never remember what the holdover was supposed to be when I leave the static range I gave up on it. :D