PDA

View Full Version : Glocktriggers Edge

Bowser
11-18-11, 02:28
Does anyone have experience with the Edge trigger from Glocktriggers.com or any of their triggers? I like the idea of the reduced pre-travel.

Nephrology
11-18-11, 07:05
Nah... I feel dirty enough as it is putting the - connector in my Glock, but I am a purist...

Street Survival
11-18-11, 08:20
Yes, I do. Excellent triggers and worth the money in my opinion. Jeff Wilson is a great guy to deal with too. Buy without hesitation. I have them in all my Glocks.

JHC
11-18-11, 08:31
What sort of net pull weights do these produce? I'm guessing they have various options.

Grease Monkey
11-18-11, 10:48
Nah... I feel dirty enough as it is putting the - connector in my Glock, but I am a purist...

Glad to see I'm not the only one.... Maybe for competetion use only, maybe. I don't really have any issues with the stock trigger like most folks do.

M4Guru
11-18-11, 10:57
LAV,Grant and Dinger were there when I installed one of their triggers in a students gun prior to the last LAV HD class. It claimed to make the Glock trigger 1911-esque and had Travis Haley on the underwear tube it came in. I don't know what model that is exactly. It appeared to be chromed factory parts with unknown springs and perhaps a proprietary connector.

Color me unimpressed, but none of us really thought it was 1911-like or superior the the polished factory (-) job our Glocks had. It had a smooth take up but the break was like hitting a wall and generally I was not fond of it in dry or live fire. I'd pass and buy 500 rounds instead.

I'm not saying it's not quality parts or whatever but the trigger's feel was pretty underwhelming for all of us.

danish
11-18-11, 15:15
I run 'The Edge' in my Glock for USPSA and while it's far from a 1911 trigger it's a vastly improved Glock trigger. There is still a fair amount pre-travel but is considerably less than stock. All-in-all worth the price if you are looking for a good competition trigger...

Bowser
11-18-11, 15:24
What would you guys would say is the Geissele SSA of the Glock world?

danish
11-18-11, 17:00
What would you guys would say is the Geissele SSA of the Glock world?

While I am not a Geissele fan I assume you want to know what the best Glock trigger is?? I read a lot of different reviews on many triggers and even though I bought from Glocktriggers.com, Vanek triggers are tops.

http://vanekcustom.com/

These triggers are all mainly aimed at the competition market and don't know how or if they would hold up in a real world, hostile situation. Enjoy!!

Bowser
11-18-11, 21:40
LAV,Grant and Dinger were there when I installed one of their triggers in a students gun prior to the last LAV HD class. It claimed to make the Glock trigger 1911-esque and had Travis Haley on the underwear tube it came in. I don't know what model that is exactly. It appeared to be chromed factory parts with unknown springs and perhaps a proprietary connector.

Color me unimpressed, but none of us really thought it was 1911-like or superior the the polished factory (-) job our Glocks had. It had a smooth take up but the break was like hitting a wall and generally I was not fond of it in dry or live fire. I'd pass and buy 500 rounds instead.

I'm not saying it's not quality parts or whatever but the trigger's feel was pretty underwhelming for all of us.

Could you point me to the direction of where I can read up on these (-) trigger jobs?

M4Guru
11-19-11, 08:16
I polish all the contact points on the factory parts and put a factory (-)/3.5 now called 4.5# connector in.

danish
11-19-11, 10:38
I polish all the contact points on the factory parts and put a factory (-)/3.5 now called 4.5# connector in.

It's amazing how a good polish job and 3.5# connector can completely change the feel of a Glock trigger. For way under $20 you can a have smooth, light trigger that is still ready for battle..

Magsz
11-19-11, 11:16
M4Guru,

Do you remember exactly which trigger it was? They offer a few different ones.

Are you speaking specifically of the edge?

I have some rounds through a Guardian and yes, its nice, a lot smoother than stock BUT if you know what you're doing you can get a trigger that is similar in feel with existing parts.

One cool thing about these triggers is that from an LE perspective, since it is a "factory produced, or aftermarket part" there is a possibility that it could be approved for duty use. Whereas, polishing at home, adding over travel stops etc is probably NEVER going to fly for most LE agencies if not all of them.

M4Guru
11-19-11, 11:18
I have no idea. Just that it had Travis Haley on the tube it came in. It said something about "1911 blah blah blah" on the packaging.

Magsz
11-19-11, 11:33
Probably the Edge then since his other triggers do nothing to remove pre travel.

Bowser
11-19-11, 15:27
Didn't order the extra parts because LWD is slow getting out extractors.

M4Guru
12-20-11, 19:19
Bump...

http://soldiersystems.net/2011/12/21/the-haley-skimmer/

This was the one. Wholly unimpressive IMO but maybe Grant, Paul, and LAV can chime in.

Cosmo M3
12-20-11, 20:42
Interested in responses as well

Surf
12-21-11, 00:04
For most people's purposes a polish job and a minus connector will do the trick. Springs are shooter preference, but I prefer a standard spring.

There are ways of altering certain connectors to get different "feels" on the trigger break. However pre-travel adjustment and seriously lightening a trigger involves altering trigger bars, trigger placements and trigger pin geometry. While I do this type of work which is extremely similar to Vaneks, I do not show the process for doing it on video. I can get a trigger down to around 1-1.5#s with little pre-travel. Just because I can do it that low doesn't mean it should be done. But I can easily reduce the pull to a 2-2.5# pull and reduced pre-travel that is very gamer worthy with a slicker than snot feel. I am quite sure the "Haley" trigger is extremely similar, however I have no doubt that they probably don't even go this extreme on their for sale triggers.

However for a basic polish job on trigger components see my below video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-heM9f_N4aA

Bowser
12-21-11, 02:57
Does anyone have a source for Glock OEM (-) minus connectors?

RD62
12-21-11, 12:05

They can be hard to find.

I just bought mine off of Ebay from seller Smitty I believe.

He was highly recommended here.

His was about the best price I could find too. About $19 plus shipping if I recall correctly.

Iraqgunz
12-23-11, 08:43
Here is LWD's version.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1031&TERM=3.35 connector

M4Guru
12-23-11, 09:28
I get them off of eBay because the Glock armorer's program just takes too long usually and these show up in a day or two.

The dude selling them for $19.99 is the go-to. I have had good luck with the Ghost non-adjustable connector. I am going to put up a primer on Glock triggers before New Years that may help some folks know what they're getting into.

C4IGrant
12-23-11, 14:33
I get them off of eBay because the Glock armorer's program just takes too long usually and these show up in a day or two.

The dude selling them for $19.99 is the go-to. I have had good luck with the Ghost non-adjustable connector. I am going to put up a primer on Glock triggers before New Years that may help some folks know what they're getting into.

That is what I use (on top of polishing all contact points and rounding the striker block).

C4

Bowser
12-23-11, 14:59
I actually found a store called Glockstore.com in San Diego owned by Lenny Magill nontheless. They should be here soon, and hopefully are really Glock OEM minus conectors.

JSGlock34
12-23-11, 15:02

Glockparts.com gets them fairly regularly.

cpoth
07-04-12, 16:16
Surf,

Thanks for the link to the youtube videos, I tried it on my gen4 17 and I can feel an improvement. I also got a better understanding of how those internals interface with one another.

Thanks again,
Chris

07-05-12, 10:14
I have an early gen 4 g17 that doesn't have the slide cut with a counter-bore for the guide rod. This was my first (and last) gen 4; I own six gen 3 guns. The trigger was horrendous to begin with, to the point of being no fun to shoot. Even after putting in a "-" connector, it still sucked ass.

I installed a guardian trigger from Jeff with a standard connector about two months ago. The trigger is still slightly heaver than my gen 3 guns, but it has made the gun a pleasure to shoot and it has worked its way back into my shooting rotation. I'm not sure if the lockup or barrels are better on the gen 4, but I can now group better at 25m with this gun then I do with my gen 3 g17 with a Wilson match barrel.

I will be ordering more triggers from glocktriggers.com in the future. I don't give two shits about a Haley trigger, but the guardian trigger is great, and I have shot the Vogel trigger on a loaned gun in IDPA; it is also fantastic.

AKJD375
07-05-12, 20:23
I have an Edge in my G35 that I use for 3gun and USPSA Limited. It is a competition trigger not recommended for duty or carry. It is more than a polish job, it is adjustable for overtravel, limits pretravel and changes the geometry of the trigger bar in relation to the trigger and trigger spring. Although not up to 1911 standards it is a big improvement over the stock trigger. Mine is just under 3 lbs.

The Haley Skimmer model seems to be nothing more than a polish job which anyone can accomplish on their own if done properly. There are plenty of instructions on the net on how to accomplish this. I dry fired one that a friend has on his duty G17 and thought it was about the same as ones I've polished myself.

Here is a link that gives instructions on a do it yourself 2 lb Glock trigger that would be similar to the Edge or the other aftermarket competition triggers.http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52311&hl=sub%202lb%20glock%20trigger&st=0

EzGoingKev
07-06-12, 17:21
I installed a guardian trigger from Jeff with a standard connector about two months ago. The trigger is still slightly heaver than my gen 3 guns, but it has made the gun a pleasure to shoot and it has worked its way back into my shooting rotation.

Have you tried using the "." connector Glock makes for the Gen 4's? This should reduce the trigger pull to what your Gen 3 pistols have.

07-06-12, 17:30
Have you tried using the "." connector Glock makes for the Gen 4's? This should reduce the trigger pull to what your Gen 3 pistols have.

Yes, I tried it prior to the guardian. The trigger still sucked. I probably just had a ****ed up gun, but it's now solved.

EzGoingKev
07-06-12, 17:32
Yes, I tried it prior to the guardian. The trigger still sucked. I probably just had a ****ed up gun, but it's now solved.
I was talking about trying the "." connector with the Guardian.

07-06-12, 17:38
No, I have been meaning to try it, just haven't gotten around to it. I recently ordered another guardian with the "-" connector, so I will be able to compare the two soon enough.

As it stands, I cannot say enough good things about his trigger packs. It's more than just a $.25 polish job; I have done that on other glocks and his work is superior. Prior to trying his triggers, my advice would have been for people to spend the money on ammo instead, but I believe his triggers make a fundamental difference. Besides, I won enough free shit at a recent class during shoot-offs using a Glock with his trigger to cover the cost 2x over.

Dakota Glock Guy
11-10-12, 23:55
That is what I use (on top of polishing all contact points and rounding the striker block).

C4

This is probably a dumb question, but when you say "striker block", are you referring to the top part of the trigger bar that depresses the firing pin saftety???

SPQR476
11-11-12, 00:29
Jeff does a beautiful polish job, and the edge is a very nice competition trigger. I would never recommend any trigger that reduces pre-travel for other than competition, however. Material has to be removed from the trigger safety to do so, and the cruciform is pretty far back in its travel for my comfort with the drop safety.

For me, the excessive overtravel is the detractor in the Glock trigger more than pre-travel, and removing it doesn't mess with safeties. My SSAs all have a first stage, so I don't mind the equivalent on my Glocks. I have some that I've done the standard - connector and polish, which is about the 90% solution, but after 10,000 rounds or so of trying them out, I have Ghost Rockets in all my primaries. I fit them a little sloppy...take it to where the striker drops, then take off another .010 -.015 or so for mom and apple pie. It's not a complete elimination of overtravel, but cuts it by about 2/3. I think this is where many guys have trouble with the rockets...if you try to get too cute and eliminate all overtravel without any room for debris, you can get a very nice trigger, but it sets you up for failure.

Still...if I were back to dragging myself and my gear through the dust and muck, I'd give serious consideration to putting minus or dot connectors back in.

espnazi
11-11-12, 02:33
I use a "." connector on my 3rd Gen G19s and follow Grants glock trigger job tutorial.

EzGoingKev
11-11-12, 05:05
My SSAs all have a first stage, so I don't mind the equivalent on my Glocks.

I would literally sell my soul to get the equivalent of an SSA trigger in my Glocks.

C4IGrant
11-11-12, 07:41
This is probably a dumb question, but when you say "striker block", are you referring to the top part of the trigger bar that depresses the firing pin saftety???

Yes, FPS. S&W calls it a striker block.

C4

SPQR476
11-11-12, 08:12
I would literally sell my soul to get the equivalent of an SSA trigger in my Glocks.

Well, apart from both having some take up, the similarities pretty much end there. Just ain't gonna happen with the Glock striker function/geometry. Predictable stacking to an anticipatible release? Sure. Snapping a carrot "second stage"? Nope.

MattHallman
11-11-12, 08:38
Glockparts.com

Dakota Glock Guy
11-11-12, 12:54
Yes, FPS. S&W calls it a striker block.

C4

OK so the "striker block" is what glock calls the firing pin safety plunger. That makes sense since it blocks the striker. ;)

I noticed the top cam part of the trigger bar (the part that depresses the safety plunger, or striker block) looks rounded on his triggers as well. Has/does anybody here round that part on purpose as well???

I'm just wondering what doing that would actually accomplish?

MAP
11-11-12, 13:02
Jeff does a beautiful polish job, and the edge is a very nice competition trigger. I would never recommend any trigger that reduces pre-travel for other than competition, however. Material has to be removed from the trigger safety to do so, and the cruciform is pretty far back in its travel for my comfort with the drop safety.

For me, the excessive overtravel is the detractor in the Glock trigger more than pre-travel, and removing it doesn't mess with safeties. My SSAs all have a first stage, so I don't mind the equivalent on my Glocks. I have some that I've done the standard - connector and polish, which is about the 90% solution, but after 10,000 rounds or so of trying them out, I have Ghost Rockets in all my primaries. I fit them a little sloppy...take it to where the striker drops, then take off another .010 -.015 or so for mom and apple pie. It's not a complete elimination of overtravel, but cuts it by about 2/3. I think this is where many guys have trouble with the rockets...if you try to get too cute and eliminate all overtravel without any room for debris, you can get a very nice trigger, but it sets you up for failure.

Still...if I were back to dragging myself and my gear through the dust and muck, I'd give serious consideration to putting minus or dot connectors back in.

Very true. I've seen Ghost rockets that would get intermittent heavy trigger pulls due to dirt/fouling interfering with the connector.

I have the Glocktriggers Guardian for a Gen4 G17. Its a nice trigger but pricey. If you know what you are doing you can get near identical results for much less expense.

In the end, the more you try to make a Glock trigger what it isn't, the more problems you can expect.

Mike

Chameleox
11-11-12, 13:35
I noticed the top cam part of the trigger bar (the part that depresses the safety plunger, or striker block) looks rounded on his triggers as well. Has/does anybody here round that part on purpose as well???

I'm just wondering what doing that would actually accomplish?

It's doable. Being a metal on metal connection that's part of the trigger press, and since the firing pin safety plunger is spring loaded, there's friction and a little spring resistance.

Polishing the vertical extension or the end of the plunger can help, as can changing the geometry of those parts. IIRC, there is a company (Wolff?) that sells a lighter plunger spring for the firing pin safety plunger, which might help some.

Mine has a light polish job, but since its a duty gun, I'm not up to altering its geometry. Since I'm stuck with an NY1 config. anyways, my money/time is better spent on ammo.

CQC.45
11-11-12, 16:08
I use the non-adjustable Glockworx triggers with great success. They do a great job of taking some of the pretravel out without having the issue of screws to come loose and cause issues. I also use a ghost rocket connector to limit the overtravel which is even more important than pretravel IMO. Having said all of that, technique is by far the most important factor...everything else is just supplementary. My $.02.

nickdrak
11-11-12, 19:06
I have been running one of the GlockTriggers.com "Vogel" triggers in my dedicate IDPA Gen4 G34. It gives me a very nice "Rolling break". I spec'd a Gen3 trigger bar when I ordered mine. No dead stop, just rolls right thru.

Im going to see if I can get Jeff to put a trigger kit together that is identical to the "Vogel" except without the adjustable overtravel for my duty Gen4 G17 and my off-duty Gen4 G19.

Nephrology
11-11-12, 19:43
I just run the stock trigger. I've futzed with it enough and come quickly to the conclusion that none of my "improvements" actually corresponded to a significant increase in performance and gave up chasing the dragon.

Dakota Glock Guy
11-11-12, 20:08
OK let me try this again with a picture, as I still think there is some confusion about what I'm asking.

I'm not talking about rounding the safety plunger, which is the part inside the slide. I do that already, and know what that does.

What I'm talking about is the cam surface on the top of the trigger bar. Here's a picture of the Haley trigger, and I've circled the part of it I've been asking about.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/bmikel4/HaleySkimmerTrigger-1.jpg

Now back to my question.

Since I've never seen this part rounded off before, I was wondering:

1. What does this accomplish, and

2. Will the safety be compromised in any way/shape/form because of this modification??

deuce9166
11-11-12, 20:36
Nick let me know if you get that done, I would be very interested in one or two...

I have been running one of the GlockTriggers.com "Vogel" triggers in my dedicate IDPA Gen4 G34. It gives me a very nice "Rolling break". I spec'd a Gen3 trigger bar when I ordered mine. No dead stop, just rolls right thru.

Im going to see if I can get Jeff to put a trigger kit together that is identical to the "Vogel" except without the adjustable overtravel for my duty Gen4 G17 and my off-duty Gen4 G19.

nickdrak
11-11-12, 21:22
That is a Gen4 specific trigger bar. Gen3 trigger bars do not have that little hump. In my opinion all that little hump on the trigger bar does is make the trigger pull shittier than it should be. I run Gen3 trigger bars in all of my Gen4 Glocks.

OK let me try this again with a picture, as I still think there is some confusion about what I'm asking.

I'm not talking about rounding the safety plunger, which is the part inside the slide. I do that already, and know what that does.

What I'm talking about is the cam surface on the top of the trigger bar. Here's a picture of the Haley trigger, and I've circled the part of it I've been asking about.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/bmikel4/HaleySkimmerTrigger-1.jpg

Now back to my question.

Since I've never seen this part rounded off before, I was wondering:

1. What does this accomplish, and

2. Will the safety be compromised in any way/shape/form because of this modification??

Dakota Glock Guy
11-11-12, 21:24
That is a Gen4 specific trigger bar. In my opinion all that little hump on the trigger bar does is make the trigger pull shittier than it should be. I run Gen3 trigger bars in all of my Gen4 Glocks.

I'm not talking about the dimple. I have that on my Gen 3 G30SF as well.

On my trigger bar, the top is more angled back. On this one it is rounded off. That was something that was done to the trigger bar. I'm just wondering what it does, before I go trying it out on my gun.

Chameleox
11-11-12, 23:50
Its called the vertical extension, or something similar, by Glock. It engages the firing pin safety plunger when the trigger bar travels rearward. Yes it can be polished and/or rounded, to an extent.

I believe we are on the same page.

Polishing the vertical extension or the end of the plunger can help, as can changing the geometry of those parts. IIRC, there is a company (Wolff?) that sells a lighter plunger spring for the firing pin safety plunger, which might help some.
I mentioned both the extension and the plunger, as they work together.

Dakota Glock Guy
11-12-12, 08:23
Polishing the vertical extension or the end of the plunger can help, as can changing the geometry of those parts..

Yes, but if you re-read you post, you were talking about polishing it. I'm talking about the fact that the top and bottom of it are actually rounded off, which is something I've never seen done before.

I was just wondering if doing that either shortened the trigger pull, or did something else, as I've never seen that vertical extension modified in that way before.

The other thing I was wondering is if it compromised the firing pin safety in any way, which it doesn't look like it would.

Looks like we're on the same page now! ;)