PDA

View Full Version : are bipods neccesary?

jyy0003
11-18-11, 09:11
I currently have a 14.5 inch barrel with a 12' hang guard. I wanted to get some viewd and opinions of putting bipods on such a short barrel.

C4IGrant
11-18-11, 09:14
I currently have a 14.5 inch barrel with a 12' hang guard. I wanted to get some viewd and opinions of putting bipods on such a short barrel.

Nope. Its called "YOUR MAGAZINE."

C4

Whiskey_Bravo
11-18-11, 09:16
I have heard that the combination of a short barrel and bipod are really useful during CQB. The bipod is especially useful in confined spaces so you don't bump the bottom of your barrel and scratch it :jester:.

Edit: And just think of the stability of the magazine/bipod combination. Sniper level stability I have heard :jester:.

/please note, my post is a poor attempt at sarcasm as I thought the question of "needing" a bipod on a sbr was silly.

Silent
11-18-11, 09:17
No need for them in my opinion, unless you are going for a much higher amount of precision type result... But resting on the mag will be fine for "minute of bad guy"

Whiskey_Bravo
11-18-11, 09:20
Sorry, I guess I should have noted by sarcasm. I guess I thought it was over the top obvious with the scratch the barrel comment.

C4IGrant
11-18-11, 09:26
Sorry, I guess I should have noted by sarcasm. I guess I thought it was over the top obvious with the scratch the barrel comment.

A lot gets lost in written word. One of these (:jester:) at the end of your statement would have answered my questions. ;)

C4

Whiskey_Bravo
11-18-11, 09:35
I guess am still tired and maybe a little grouchy this morning(coffee maker wouldn't work this morning). Jester added for clarity.

markm
11-18-11, 09:38

Trident ran one on a 10.5 inch barrel for shooting at 600 or 700 yards.

markm
11-18-11, 09:42
Here it is.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC01540-1.jpg

Failure2Stop
11-18-11, 09:45
Bipods can be very useful when in a static position for a while.
Short barrels can reach out further than most people realize, and the bipod can be a useful addition to aid in precision.
Be aware that a magazine monopod zero will frequently be different than a bipod zero, especially if you are using the support hand as a hasty rear bag on the stock.
I persoanlly do not use them on anything except for precision oriented guns, and even then I don't use them all that much.

ALCOAR
11-18-11, 09:46

Oh you just wait big dawg....I'm cooking up the footage as I type.

I think I'll make the AZ crew happy on this morning's session. I truly pushed that envelope as far as I could. It's the most enjoyable 40 rds. I can remember shooting in a long time.

You were spot on...it's amazing to see what these little dudes will do in terms of distance and accuracy. Enough, enough....I'm so jacked up right now:cool:

Whiskey_Bravo
11-18-11, 09:54

:eek: Impressive

markm
11-18-11, 10:00
Oh you just wait big dawg....I'm cooking up the footage as I type.

We'll have to start a national SBR precision shooting foundation. Like Palma or something. :D

Can't wait for the video.

Bimmer
11-18-11, 12:01
I wanted to get some views and opinions of putting bipods on such a short barrel.

Like the others said (or implied with their sarcasm), there's not much point.

On the other hand, it only cost me $8 to get an extra bipod adaptor (basically a sling swivel stud) for my Harris bipid, and it took about 3 minutes to install it on the underside of my AR's handguard.

So now, should I want to, I can mount the Harris bipod that usually lives on my bolt-action .22 or M14 on my 14.5" AR...

Spengo
11-18-11, 13:29
I use a sling, I find that it makes me nearly as stable as a bipod. I don't use a bipod because I do not like the extra weight it adds to my rifle. I recommend the Vltor 2-point padded sling or something else with a similar quick-adjust feature. I also use a 14.5" carbine with a 12" rail system. I put the forward sling mounting point behind where my hand goes when shooting thumb-over bore standing and in front of where my hand goes when I shoot prone.

lifebreath
11-18-11, 13:37
I guess it really depends on the mission. That's the beauty of modular systems - they can quickly be adapted to suit the task at hand.

Ironman8
11-18-11, 21:16
I'd get that 12 foot hand guard trimmed down to fit that 14.5 inch barrel a little better! Sheesh how do you even shoot that thing?! :p