PDA

View Full Version : Polymer rails

wild_wild_wes
11-18-11, 22:47
What are your thoughts on polymer rails? They are featured on several European assault rifles, and some civillian ones have been available for a while here. Are they fit for serious use?

steelonsteel
11-18-11, 23:04
magpul uses poly rail section on thier MOE handguards, and have hed great success with it. I've nothing to complain about it there either.

Now a complete quad rail forearm i poly might be a touch weak for hard impacts and the like, but then again, maybe not - what would break those would also theoretically break plastic handguards too yes?

wild_wild_wes
11-18-11, 23:16
I meant primarily the removable rail sections.

polydeuces
11-18-11, 23:51
No issues with "plastic" railsections, so far GTG, really love to give an all polymer rail a try if available with pedigree. No reason why it couldn't be done i think. Can you imagine the weight on that.....just thinking of it makes me warm and fuzzy inside...:happy:

BCmJUnKie
11-18-11, 23:59
Think about Glocks or M&Ps, almost any Poly. handgun is available with a rail.

I dont own any but friends do. Those things are solid.

Polymer has great compresion strength...the rail, accomodates a "Clamp" if you will.

Polymer rails = GTG

polydeuces
11-19-11, 00:10
Cant help but wonder how long will it be before we'll see a viable all polymer rail, if at all?
It's pretty obvious we have the ability, just wondering if the material has the property to hold up. Thinking there's quite a difference between forces on a pistol frame and a (free float?) rail, more so if we consider for instance S&W frames are using metal reinforcements.

trinydex
11-19-11, 02:35
You wouldnt use an all polymer rail that had to hold zero for a front sight would you?

devinsdad
11-19-11, 11:31
You wouldnt use an all polymer rail that had to hold zero for a front sight would you?

People use polymer sights for that same zero.

skyugo
11-19-11, 12:35

People use polymer sights for that same zero.

yeah probably not ideal for any kind of sighting device... though my MBUIS have impressed me with their zero holding and consistency...

for lights and stuff it's probably strong enough.

trinydex
11-19-11, 12:44
i guess i was referring to a full float polymer rail, just not sure how that would have the rigidity necessary at beyond fsb lengths.

a0cake
11-19-11, 13:14
A major issue that I can see is the use of VFG's. If you eat shit getting in and out of a vehicle or walking on rocks, a VFG is often the spot that takes the impact, especially if you're walking uphill. You need the rail to be stronger than the VFG connection point so that the VFG is what breaks / comes off, not the rail. If the VFG clamping system and material of construction is more robust than the rail it is mounted on, you're going to have problems.

Keesh
11-20-11, 14:27
I busted a polymer rail section on my MOE hand guards that was used for attaching a light. Aluminum is just as light and stronger so I'll be using that from now on.

polydeuces
11-20-11, 21:12
Until someone (anyone) actually comes up w one, we won't know what it really can do, or don't.
In theory though I am sure it has it's limitations, while it's advantages would be ease of manufacturing, and weight.