PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms magnifiers for Proof of Concept?

LHS
11-19-11, 00:25
I'm curious about trying out a magnifier for my Aimpoint, but I don't want to sink $600 into something I may or may not like. Primary Arms sells some inexpensive magnifiers, and while I would guess the glass isn't up to the same standards as Hensoldt or Aimpoint, it would give me an inexpensive way to decide if I like the concept. Has anyone tried their offerings? Are they relatively solid and clear, at least enough for a proof-of-concept? If I decide I like the concept and want a 'real' magnifier from Aimpoint, I can toss the PA magnifier on my M&P15/22.

I also notice they have a 6x magnifier that's not much larger than a CompM2/M3-series sight. I've not seen that from any of the other magnifier manufacturers. Anyone have any experience with those?

ryr8828
11-19-11, 06:20
I have one of their 5x magnifiers and it works fine, it came free with an eotech I bought from them.

polymorpheous
11-19-11, 08:06
You can still find Hensoldt po boys for around $20 if you look around.
They fit snugly in a 1" mount.

LHS
11-19-11, 12:12
You can still find Hensoldt po boys for around $20 if you look around.
They fit snugly in a 1" mount.

$20?!? I must Google this.

polymorpheous
11-19-11, 19:31
I found one for $30 a few months back.
The day I sent payment I found a bunch for $20.
Oh well...

lengthofpull
11-19-11, 19:44
I have the 5x that came for free with the eotech...

its reasonable, but the only thing i don't like it is that it is EXTREMELY picky about its eye relief

lengthofpull
11-19-11, 20:04
I have the 5x that came for free with the eotech...

its reasonable, but the only thing i don't like it is that it is EXTREMELY picky about its eye relief

Let me add that I don't have any experience with RDS magnifiers of any other brand, so I don't know if the eye relief issue is just with PA's magnifiers or all RDS magnifiers.

I was just surprised when I first used mine.

MSteele
11-19-11, 21:30
I got one of the UTG ones for free from a buddy I use it on my AR from time to time and it really isn't that bad. The eye relief is pretty good. Can't compare it to an Aimpoint but it is what it is...

LHS
11-21-11, 21:47
Went to the range yesterday, and a buddy of mine had an Aimpoint magnifier with the twist-off mount. I gave it a shot, and found that it made the dot split into three. It looked like a bright red Mickey Mouse. My astigmatism must be amplified by the magnifier. So much for that idea, at least for me.

bnanaphone
11-23-11, 12:54
That's a bummer. I too have an astigmatism, but with the Hensoldt/Po Boy magnifier, it makes the dot very clear and perfectly round. Without my glasses or the magnifier the dot looks like a comma.