PDA

View Full Version : Got me an M&P45...

Razoreye
11-27-07, 20:18
I might have to look into the 9mm series in the future. At this point, all I have is .45 handguns, I was thinking on getting a G19 but the M&P9c might be in my future. If there is a compact .45, I'll definitely get it as well.

Few thoughts - due to a broken right hand, the changing of magazine release is a godsend for southpaws like my temporary self. I also like how easy it is to push and how easy the magazine drops free empty. It seems to border the sensative line to where it is perfect, a bump from drawing from a holster doesn't appear it would unseat a magazine... but only time will tell.

The trigger seems creepy... almost like sandpaper. Then it breaks at what seems to be a pretty heavy poundage (greater than 5.5?) To top it off, there doesn't seem to be any discernable reset. I'm hoping I can do some sort of polish job to help out that creep. As for the poundage, I'll have to wait on after market connectors (if M&Ps use that.) Don't know what to do about the reset, I just have to shoot it first to see how that comes into play.

The ambidextrous slide release is a nice touch. I can't wait to use this for my left hand and eventually my right. ;)

The breakdown kind of sucks with having to deactivate the sear. It'd be nice to be able to just pull the trigger and use the front lever but oh well. There's no magazine safety but for some reason I'm weary of that sear deactivation lever. Not enough to mess with it, just something to observe.

wahoo95
11-27-07, 20:27
I followed the directions posted on the M&P forum by Dan Burwell and was able to get my trigger just right. Short & smooth take up with a crisp break and no overtravel. Haven't officially measured it, however I would guess the trigger now breaks cleanly at 4.5-5lbs. (Felt)Reset is still not as descernable as a Glocks, however it's just as short and I know it has reset.....plus I never truly feel it during rapid fire anyways :)

Takedown requires an extra step, but prevents you from having to pull the trigger :) Only takes a second to flip that little lever down. If it really bothers you, you can skip that step by pulling the trigger and sliding the slide off...although I don't recommend it.

M4arc
11-27-07, 20:32
First, congratulations on the new M&P45!

The reset (or lack of) is the one thing that took me the most time to adjust to. Like I tell everyone, put some rounds through it and that trigger will smooth out and lighten up. But the reset is another matter. I think guys like Burwell and Bowie can work some magic there but you'll have to ask them the specifics. I'm kinda used to it now so it doesn't bother me nearly as much.

As for the breakdown...you can still take it down just like the Glock. It's not an advertised method but it works. I didn't like this aspect of the M&P either at first but now I don't see the big deal in flipping the sear lever to break it down. It takes me a whole second more. The way it shoots far out weights these little nuances.

Please keep us posted as you put some rounds through it.

DrMark
11-27-07, 20:50
The other day at the range M4arc used the sear lever to take apart my M&P. I reckon that's the only time it's been used. I always pull the trigger to trip the sear.

The lever is there if you want to use it though...

mark5pt56
11-27-07, 20:51
I stopped by The Armory today to meet Subzero. We looked over the M&P45 while we were there. The .45 actually feels better in the hand than the 9.

Same same on the trigger, mine had a tad of grit to it, but it's smooth now. The reset issue is pretty much a non issue as stated.

I would leave it stock and pull the trigger!

Hawkeye
11-28-07, 08:43
I would leave it stock and pull the trigger!

I've never understood the obsession with immediately messing with the trigger on a new handgun, before ever getting some significant rounds through it, preferably in a training class where your not intently focusing on the trigger pull/break. 500-1000 rounds through a weapon often makes a big difference, and when doing dynamic drills (vs slow concentrated static range work) minor nuances are often not noticed.
That said, Razoreye, congrats on the new M&P. Put some rounds through it, 500 or more, before making any decisions on things. If your not happy with the trigger, etc, at that point, have at getting some work done on it. :)

C4IGrant
11-28-07, 08:53
I might have to look into the 9mm series in the future. At this point, all I have is .45 handguns, I was thinking on getting a G19 but the M&P9c might be in my future. If there is a compact .45, I'll definitely get it as well.

Few thoughts - due to a broken right hand, the changing of magazine release is a godsend for southpaws like my temporary self. I also like how easy it is to push and how easy the magazine drops free empty. It seems to border the sensative line to where it is perfect, a bump from drawing from a holster doesn't appear it would unseat a magazine... but only time will tell.

The trigger seems creepy... almost like sandpaper. Then it breaks at what seems to be a pretty heavy poundage (greater than 5.5?) To top it off, there doesn't seem to be any discernable reset. I'm hoping I can do some sort of polish job to help out that creep. As for the poundage, I'll have to wait on after market connectors (if M&Ps use that.) Don't know what to do about the reset, I just have to shoot it first to see how that comes into play.

The ambidextrous slide release is a nice touch. I can't wait to use this for my left hand and eventually my right. ;)

The breakdown kind of sucks with having to deactivate the sear. It'd be nice to be able to just pull the trigger and use the front lever but oh well. There's no magazine safety but for some reason I'm weary of that sear deactivation lever. Not enough to mess with it, just something to observe.

The triggers in the M&P 45's is not as smooth as their other guns. After some use though, it will drop about a pound.

Pulling the trigger to me is not a good idea when having to break down a weapon. So how M&P does it, is much safer IMHO.

C4

Razoreye
11-28-07, 09:55
I'll put rounds through it ASAP... I figure the trigger will smooth out. I'll still want a lighter connector/pull since I was converted when on Glocks but I broke those in long ago before I did that.

As for the sear lever... habit. It's probably safer, it's just that I've used Glocks for quite a while so I have it ingrained... which shouldn't be a bad thing I'd guess.

I see it does work by pulling the trigger. Thanks for that tip!

Razoreye
11-28-07, 19:13
Trigger is slightly smoothed out after 200 rounds. Still a bit sandpapery. The break is still heavy (anyone have the approximate poundage??) I'm not used to left hand shooting (bad, I know) so I couldn't hit much with it. I was pinging all the plates with a ruger .22 and my 1911 plus putting up pretty good groups with them at close range. The heavy trigger on the M&P threw me off and then I started to psyche myself out.

My bud shot it well, hitting plates and good groups up close. He also was drawing and double tapping better than his 9 XD. So I know it shoots well... but the trigger has got to go. I'll have to wait until aftermarket parts hit the market (if anyone has links??)