PDA

View Full Version : New G19 - Report & Request for advice

CrazyFingers
11-19-11, 17:16
I took my new Gen3 Glock G19 to the range today for its first firing. I ran 195 rounds through it, evenly divided between Magtech, Federal, and Winchester White box, all 115g fmj target ammunition.
This pistol has the 336 ejector, dipped extractor, and has a factory test fire date of 10-31-2011.

Range results:
195 rounds fired from 3 magazines.
Magtech - No stoppage. 1 brass to forehead, 1 brass to right ear, 1 brass to right forearm.
Federal - No stoppage. 1 brass to right forearm
Winchester - 1 stovepipe.

The point of this post: At this point, with this low round count, should I be concerned with the stoppage using WWB and the erratic ejection overall? Should I be thinking about contacting Glock for service, or should I run more ammunition through this pistol first?
I purchased this pistol after reading all of the threads on m4carbine.net discussing the recent Glock issues. This is why I decided against a Gen4. I understand that the dipped extractor has caused some Gen3 9mm Glock owners to experience erratic ejection like what I saw today. This is not my primary defensive firearm, so I am not concerned about relying on this pistol right now. However, I obviously want a weapon I can trust.
Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

Magsz
11-19-11, 17:29
Run more ammo through the pistol.

I would say at least 1k rounds and then document your failure rate.

If the 1 stovepipe is all that occurs, dont sweat it.

Winchester white box is notorious for issues with the recent production of Glock extractors so i would not say this is out of the norm. The real shame here is that Glocks SHOULD be able to gobble essentially anything you feed them.

Despite the smaller case rim on the winchester white box, my M&P's choked through this stuff like a fat chick at a KFC buffet.

gtmtnbiker98
11-19-11, 17:34
Sell it, buy an M&P or P30. I have no faith in Glock at the moment.

Iraqgunz
11-19-11, 17:58
That's a little overdramatic. It's way to early to say that. I also would be running other ammo as well.

Sell it, buy an M&P or P30. I have no faith in Glock at the moment.

C4IGrant
11-19-11, 18:09
Its just amazing to me how Glock has taken their fantastic gun and totally screwed them up.

I remember the days when you would almost NEVER hear of a GEN 3 Glock having a malfunction or brass hitting you in the head. It is now the norm. :mad:

C4

duece71
11-19-11, 18:11
Ok, I'll chime in. I bought a G19 Gen 3 back in October. It has a test fire date of 09/11. I have put 650 rounds through it, everything from Fed 115 gr to Tula 115gr to Rem 115gr and even Fed 124gr "NATO" white box. For the first 300-350 rounds, no FTF, FTE, nothing. No strange ejections either. About the 450 mark, I started to get some ejecting into my face and some on the head. Tula performed fine, not very accurate but no cycling problems. My G19 shoots left and a little low. I know, I need more dry fire/range time. I am thinking more ammo and time on the range. Just my .02

CrazyFingers
11-19-11, 19:40
Thank you all for the advice. I'll run more rounds through it and see what happens. Perhaps something stronger like NATO 9mm?

(By the way Grant, the BCM 16" midlength you sold me has 1100 rounds through it with 0 failures of any kind. Maybe Glock should ask Bravo about keeping a good thing going?)

LRB45
11-19-11, 20:33
I bought a Gen 3 Glock 19 in April and have put right at 800 trouble free rounds down range. No problems except once in awhile it would throw a piece of brass at my forehead. Of course that was mainly in the first couple hundred rounds.

Have not had any FTE or FTF issues at all. All I have fed it has been Wichester bulk packs mainly bought at Walmart.

gsxr-fan
11-19-11, 22:01
My year old G19 has about 1k through it; had some recent FTF issues with TulAmmo. Not really worried about it, I just use the malfunction as an opportunity to practice malfunction drill...
Just my .02

gsxr-fan
11-19-11, 22:04
Despite the smaller case rim on the winchester white box, my M&P's choked through this stuff like a fat chick at a KFC buffet.

Now that's a tag line!:D

Inuvik
11-20-11, 10:11
I have the same gun (made in March of 11). I started out with the same cheap 115 gr. ammo. No stoppages, but brass trickling out onto my wrists and right arm.

Once I switched to 124 and 147 grain ammo, everything cleared up. Brass ejects strongly to the right, and overall, the gun runs like a champ. So far so good on the malfs, but I am documenting the round count to see how things work out in the long run.

DocH
11-20-11, 13:07
I am still not experiencing any problems with my late Gen 3,and am north of 2300 rounds. I have put 400 rounds of assorted 115 gr loads thru it,included in the total count,and that's the only time I ever noticed any weak ejection issues.

Granted there is a problem with the extractor in these guns,all these people reporting problems can't be wrong. I'm getting the feeling after following this for a long time that the problem may be magnified by the use of 115 gr. loads,at least there are indications of this.As I have had no issues with 147gr. training ammo as well as HST's and Rangers,and no problems with the 124-127gr. loads,I'll continue to not use any 115gr. for anything,even training.
Hopefully mine will continue to function as well as it has.

GeorgiaBoy
11-20-11, 19:02
I still can't get over my Gen 4 G19 I purchased back in April. I have had probably 35-45 malfunctions (mostly stovepipes, half of which are inline, as well as failures to lock the rear) in the past 2,000 rounds. Half the cases eject towards may head or face. Around the 800-1100 round mark I saw a major decrease in problems, and I thought they were straighting themselves out. But shortly after they picked up even more. I shot 50 rounds this afternoon with no issues, but that doesn't say much. I'm thinking about dropping in a Lone Wolf extractor, but haven't yet. Its NOT an ammo problem, nearly all of these rounds have been Winchester Ranger NATO spec.

I bought this Glock because of all the things I have heard about them, and how reliable they were supposed to be. To have my first Glock be like this, and to now hear about even the Gen 3's have problems, really disappoints me.

Hope that you have good luck with your gun, CF.

JonInWA
11-21-11, 08:27
In my October 2011 produced Gen 3 G19, upon arrival I immediately replaced what I assumed to be a MIM extractor (shiney black finish, difficult to remove from the slide) with an older OEM new Gen 3 LCI extractor. I"ve experienced no operational issues or erratic extraction issues to date.

Best, Jon

CrazyFingers
11-21-11, 09:00
Jon, does that include target ammunition like Winchester White Box, Sellier & Bellot, Federal, etc.? My actual defensive ammunition for this pistol is Gold Dot 124 +p, but I'd like to be able to shoot it at the range for a more economical price.
I've read that many people have solved their Gen3 problems with a Lone Wolf or older Glock extractor. If my problems continue, I'd be very tempted to try dropping in a ~$15 part before sending the pistol back to Glock. I'm assuming that's not rocket science.

Grease Monkey
11-21-11, 10:37
Jon, does that include target ammunition like Winchester White Box, Sellier & Bellot, Federal, etc.? My actual defensive ammunition for this pistol is Gold Dot 124 +p, but I'd like to be able to shoot it at the range for a more economical price.
I've read that many people have solved their Gen3 problems with a Lone Wolf or older Glock extractor. If my problems continue, I'd be very tempted to try dropping in a ~$15 part before sending the pistol back to Glock. I'm assuming that's not rocket science.

Then there's the current 6-8 week turn around time to send it in.

Doc Safari
11-21-11, 11:12
My late model G17 had "brass to the face" issues with the dipped extractor until I replaced the extractor with the LWD one. Now it extracts and ejects enthusiastically to the right. I am sold on LWD extractors.

JonInWA
11-21-11, 13:58

Correct; I've tested mine to date with Federal Champion 115 gr ball, which I chrono'ed last summer at our IDPA State match to be at a 131 power factor, out of a 5.5 inch Beretta 92D barrel (I've found that the Federal Champion is slightly lower powered than comparable Winchester White Box Value Pack 115 gr ball, but is demonstrably more accurate-and significantly so.

I also use Gold Dot 124 gr +P as my carry load for my G19s. It's got a good performance history, and is one of the cartridges recommended by DocGKR-and is reasonably available.

Best, Jon

munch520
11-22-11, 07:24
As everyone said, 195 is a low count/low metric against which to measure failures. Switching to hotter ammo worked out my issues, YMMV.

I took my new Gen3 Glock G19 to the range today for its first firing. I ran 195 rounds through it, evenly divided between Magtech, Federal, and Winchester White box, all 115g fmj target ammunition.
This pistol has the 336 ejector, dipped extractor, and has a factory test fire date of 10-31-2011.

Range results:
195 rounds fired from 3 magazines.
Magtech - No stoppage. 1 brass to forehead, 1 brass to right ear, 1 brass to right forearm.
Federal - No stoppage. 1 brass to right forearm
Winchester - 1 stovepipe.

The point of this post: At this point, with this low round count, should I be concerned with the stoppage using WWB and the erratic ejection overall? Should I be thinking about contacting Glock for service, or should I run more ammunition through this pistol first?
I purchased this pistol after reading all of the threads on m4carbine.net discussing the recent Glock issues. This is why I decided against a Gen4. I understand that the dipped extractor has caused some Gen3 9mm Glock owners to experience erratic ejection like what I saw today. This is not my primary defensive firearm, so I am not concerned about relying on this pistol right now. However, I obviously want a weapon I can trust.
Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

CrazyFingers
11-22-11, 09:00
Does anyone know, if I were to replace the extractor, would this part be compatible with a new Gen3 G19:
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=559&CAT=172

Also, would it require this:
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=382&CAT=175

Most people seem to be recommending the "older Gen3 with the old-style extractor", and this seems to be the closest I could get with my pistol.

Shawn Wayne
11-22-11, 11:37
I just picked up a LNIB RFT2 G19 with a test fire date of 9/2/10 and have noticed no reliability issues, however about 1 in 100 ejected rounds will hit me high in the forehead.

These were with mild reloads. Gonna make the next run just a bit hotter and see if that clears it up, or at least throws the 1 in 100 OVER my head.