PDA

View Full Version : Gen2 G17 auto-forwards w/ mag insertion.. help

OldGreg
11-19-11, 18:32
Hey guys.. my coworker wants to send off his Gen2 G17 for repair because his slide auto-forwards when he puts in a full mag. I'm under the impression that auto-forwarding isn't an issue that's needing a repair.. but I just don't know.

What can I tell him to try before sending it out? Is it a suspect mag, or a slide release spring going out, possibly out-of-spec ammo (too long), or something else?

Thanks!

C4IGrant
11-19-11, 18:45
Hey guys.. my coworker wants to send off his Gen2 G17 for repair because his slide auto-forwards when he puts in a full mag. I'm under the impression that auto-forwarding isn't an issue that's needing a repair.. but I just don't know.

What can I tell him to try before sending it out? Is it a suspect mag, or a slide release spring going out, possibly out-of-spec ammo (too long), or something else?

Thanks!

First, many guns will auto-forward when you improperly insert a full mag into the gun. The reasons why it can happen "all of the sudden" is because of the slide catch or something related to this part.

While auto-forwarding is not the end of the world, it is not a good thing and if possible, have the problem resolved.

C4

Iraqgunz
11-19-11, 19:02
I would see about replacing the slide stop first. Or if you can find a spring, replace it.

Is it possible he is ramming into the weapon?

OldGreg
11-19-11, 20:48
He's gotta be ramming it, thisGen2 G17 is a factory refurb (I just looked inside the trigger group and everything inside is nice and shiny.. and I know he bought it from our store).
We have Glock parts kits here at the shop, so I took the extended slide release inside of that and compared the spring angle to the one inside the gun. All looks fine and new as can be.
He told me he was shooting WWB, and if I'm not mistaken I've read that those rounds can be a bit 'long'. I told hime he can have my like-new slide stop.. I'm using a Vickers.

dougwg
11-19-11, 21:37
99.9% of the time it's due to inertia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia).

If you slam the mag in with a slight forward motion you knock the frame forward and the slide stop drops.

ST911
11-19-11, 21:47
The slide releasing on a brisk mag insertion isn't uncommon, regardless of age or condition of the gun. I had a NIB G23 on the range not ago that would do it for a shooter with some consistency, due to what dougwg describes.

When it occurs, a round may chamber, but may not. Rack the slide anyway.