PDA

View Full Version : Discovery channel show "Dual Survival"

greatnw
11-19-11, 18:36
I caught a glimpse of this show before I left for work today. Cody Lundin(Author of 98.6 Degrees and When All Hell Breaks Loose) and Dave Canterbury(not sure who this guy is) take on a different scenario each episode. Looks interesting. I wasn't able to watch more then 5 minutes so I'm wondering has anybody else watched the show? What are your thoughts on it? Would it be worth watching threw the two seasons available? Is Cody Lundin insane? (He was wearing wool socks and shorts in the snow :D )

I've been looking for a way to get my wife a little more into survival, she loves the true life shows that document peoples survival stories so it made me think she might be interested in this, and we might possibly learn some things along the way, but I don't want to waste the time if it's purely dummied down entertainment like most the "survival" shows I've seen. Thanks for your input.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/dual-survival/

duece71
11-19-11, 18:45
I like the show, I find it basically informative and the material is presented in a somewhat real world senario. The whole bare feet thing is kind of lame, but Cody seems to know his stuff. I haven't read any of his books but have heard they are good. The humor between the two lighten things up a bit. I would keep watching but I don't get discovery at home so I only see it when I am at work. Good show.

Belmont31R
11-19-11, 19:25
I like it. Cody Lundin (barefoot guy) is actually a pretty accomplished survival instructor. May not be for everyone but the dude does know his stuff. http://www.codylundin.com/

If you want a show your wife will watch try Man Woman Wild. My wife likes it a lot, and it actually got her in the back yard with me teaching her primitive fire making skills. MWW is on Netflix if you have it.

greatnw
11-19-11, 19:25
Thanks for the input. I read Codys second book and it was good. Hes definatly not your average survivalist but he does seems to live his ideals, or hes pulling one hell of a scam. Google his house, its pretty intresting.

greatnw
11-19-11, 19:28
If you want a show your wife will watch try Man Woman Wild. My wife likes it a lot, and it actually got her in the back yard with me teaching her primitive fire making skills. MWW is on Netflix if you have it.

Thanks. I will definatly check it out.

zpo
01-14-12, 14:27
Sorry for the necro, but to fill out a bit of free info. Dave has a survival school, Pathfinder, and has been posting vids on YouTube for many years on the Wilderness Outfitters channel. His instructors post vids and some have their own channel. Lots of free, good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase

http://www.thepathfinderschoolllc.com/

p22shooter30
02-08-12, 13:12
I think it is pretty staged. Its amazing how they always find exactly what they need out in the middle of nowhere. I was watching one the other day and they where walking to a river and out of nowhere they find a 20'x20' mint condition tarp to make a boat out of. I mean, c'mon man

streck
02-08-12, 13:24

Based on this post, I put in the Netflix que and we've watched a few episodes. Definitely among the better survival shows I've seen. Not much induced drama and the banter between Hwke and his wife is pretty good.

The island episode where she wouldn't drink his pee had me :lol:

Arctic1
02-08-12, 13:35
I would recommend searching for Ray Mears on Youtube.

A very skilled instructor, he focuses more on techniques and different climates, than some of the more "dramatized" shows.

djmorris
02-08-12, 14:20
I love Dual Survival; easily one of my favorite shows on TV. It's very informative and educational and they don't try and pretend that they are really stranded out in the bush. They make it clear that they have setup a scenario or a course, if you will, for the pair to demonstrate survival techniques, nothing more. I've learned alot from it.

ra2bach
02-08-12, 14:44
I keep waiting for Cody to severely injure one of his feet which would take a basic survival situation and turn it critical.

c'mon man, a pair of Teva sandals with protected toes at least... :rolleyes:

panzerr
02-08-12, 18:04
I think it is pretty staged. Its amazing how they always find exactly what they need out in the middle of nowhere. I was watching one the other day and they where walking to a river and out of nowhere they find a 20'x20' mint condition tarp to make a boat out of. I mean, c'mon man

It's TV, so of course some of it is staged. But with that said, some of it is real. It is what it is and I enjoy watching it. Staged or not, some of the things they do are educational.

streck
02-08-12, 18:23
I keep waiting for Cody to severely injure one of his feet which would take a basic survival situation and turn it critical.

c'mon man, a pair of Teva sandals with protected toes at least... :rolleyes:

That is my biggest issue with him. It's not at all about foot health from a muscular perspective. It about preventing cuts and punctures.
When you are moving at 1/4 pace because you have to inspect every inch of ground in front of you, you are a liability.

digdug18
02-09-12, 06:47
I believe it was a desert episode that he made himself sandals out of a car tire, was bitching that the sand was too hot I believe.

Jim D
02-16-12, 09:24
Good show, I've enjoyed it.

While Dave always has a different knife, extra gear like saws or wires, etc.... Cody just plugs on in a pair of shorts and a $10 Mora, and gets fire and shelter everywhere he goes.

While I have no intention of going barefoot or not wearing pants, I would actually really like to take a class from Cody.

skullworks
02-16-12, 13:18
As a graduate and former employee of Yavapai College (http://www.yc.edu), where Cody teaches, I have seen him wade through snow barefoot several winters - a pair of Tevas probably has nothing on his soles. ;) One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't take any of his classes when I had the chance.

As to Ray Mears, I have friends who were present for the taping of his Arctic Survival episode (filmed in northern Sweden) - they were not impressed as he had to be coached on what to do. Of course, the info was good - it just wasn't Ray Mears' info.

mercop
02-16-12, 14:58
Dave is a very kewl and knowledgeable guy. His Pathfinder School and Blind Horse Knives have a magazine called Self Reliance Illustrated. The current issue is #7 and I have a article in there called Point Shooting for Knives about IET. Before I met Dave I thought he would be taller:)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/mercop/IMAG0174.jpg?t=1329425698

Z71Silverado09
03-06-12, 05:59
i watch all of the shows just to pick up on some tips and tricks, i agree the bare feet thing is crazy

Arctic1
03-06-12, 23:11
@Skullworks:

Your comment on Ray Mears strikes me as pretty unneccessary, as well as purely anecdotal. Ad hominem comments like that towards an individual who has a documented expertise on the subject, as well as instructing various UK military units seems uncalled for.

Also, can it be that what your buddies thought of as coaching was in fact him learning something new?

riddlin
03-24-12, 02:06
Dave is a very kewl and knowledgeable guy. His Pathfinder School and Blind Horse Knives have a magazine called Self Reliance Illustrated. The current issue is #7 and I have a article in there called Point Shooting for Knives about IET. Before I met Dave I thought he would be taller:)

It's pretty well documented that Canterbury is a fraud and a poser. He has embellished, if not flat out lied about, about numerous aspects of his military service.

dahoeb
03-24-12, 17:11
I actually enjoy the show quite a bit and have picked up some interesting tricks. Like it's been previously stated, some of it is certainly staged, like 90% of the survival shows out there. I don't know if the Discovery Channel can even legally pay people to go out and do some of this crazy stuff without some sort support to prevent their people from killing themselves.

More specifically to the show, I enjoy that they have two guys that give very different perspectives on survival, helps provide some variety.

As for Dave being a fraud, I haven't really heard any of that before, but it doesn't really have much of a bearing on the show itself. The information, techniques, and tips presented are all still good, and Dave still demonstrates them just fine, whether they were originally Dave's original ideas or not.

DesertDweller
05-31-12, 17:01
Great show learned alot just dont have time to watch them all.

TN_Warrior
06-14-12, 19:15
Never heard of this show. Looks like my kind of show.

jasonhgross
06-18-12, 11:47
They have admited that its staged to a degree to allow them to demonstrate aspects of survival in those situations that they want to demonstrate. Its a good show. Cody Lundin's books are great reads as well.

greatnw
06-30-12, 11:59
They have admited that its staged to a degree to allow them to demonstrate aspects of survival in those situations that they want to demonstrate. Its a good show. Cody Lundin's books are great reads as well.

Agreed. I read the second book first and am about 1/3 of the way through the first book now. Good stuff for sure.

mowmer
07-01-12, 17:26
Anyone know if there will be a new season this year.

JasonA
07-01-12, 20:16
Anyone know if there will be a new season this year.

According to the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Survival), they are currently filming the third season. Dave Canterbury has been replaced.

Muddyboots
08-07-12, 23:10
I have met both Dave Canterbury and Cody Lundin. I taught classes at a meet alongside of Dave in '09. He's a nice enough guy and I don't begrudge him a living. He was on his best behavior* and did a solid basic class nothing like some of the "techniques" he presented on the show. Cody is the serious and skilled practitioner of the two.

Dave was less than candid about his Military experience, claiming things that were not true (schools and qualls) and it finally caught up with him.

Muddyboots

*NSW, USMC HOGS, AF SERE and Mott Lake were also represented, setting a very high bar.

Straight Shooter
08-08-12, 05:08
Slivers & tidbits of semi useful info, mixed in with a whole lot of staged bullshit, imo. They get help when they need it, and the no shoes thing is ****ing ridiculous.

Iraq Ninja
08-08-12, 12:54
He got busted for lying about being an Army RANGER and other things. Turns our that very little of what he did in the mil is related to survival.

He is a turd for saying this...

I will not bore you with a bunch of meaningless details just give you some info to get to know me better. I was in the US Army from 1981-1988, during this time I served in Central America,Grenada,Korea and the US, much of the time as an instructor for both US Troops and some allied forces in several specialty areas. I graduated from Airborne,Air Assault,Ranger, and Sniper Counter Sniper Schools while serving my country.

His real military record is here:

http://www.fakewarriors.org/pownet.secure/canterbury_david_michael.pdf

Rangers lead the way... in busting Ranger posers.

Moose-Knuckle
08-08-12, 19:18
He got busted for lying about being an Army RANGER and other things. Turns our that very little of what he did in the mil is related to survival.

He is a turd for saying this...

His real military record is here:

http://www.fakewarriors.org/pownet.secure/canterbury_david_michael.pdf

Rangers lead the way... in busting Ranger posers.

So basically this guy is another Mick "Strider". :rolleyes:

http://www.fakewarriors.org/phonies/phonies366.htm

Iraq Ninja
08-08-12, 22:22
[QUOTE=Moose-Knuckle;1365406]So basically this guy is another Mick "Strider". :rolleyes:

Either one has served in a Ranger unit, or is Ranger qualified. Fairly cut and dry.

I think Mick did serve a short time with 2/75, but nothing to brag about. I think it was something like four months? That sort of time normally means someone didn't live up to the standards or didn't like being a Ranger and went to "leg land," though I don't know his situation.

I for one rarely mention my service in the 2/75, but it was way longer than him and I actually completed Ranger school too. :-)

Muddyboots
08-11-12, 13:55
Iraq Ninja, Are you suggesting that people who actually have earned the tabs or scrolls don't need to wave them to get attention? That wreaks of professionalism.

I happen to agree with you, I was being overly polite. I should have stuck to BLUF.

He's scum.

Muddyboots

AlphaKoncepts
08-12-12, 15:37
Survivor man is my favorite and is coming back this year in 2 weeks I think. Dual survival is a good one, of course it is staged, it's TV. Bear Gryllis is staged as heck. I think survivor man may be the least staged of all the survival shows.

ruedger455@yahoo.com
09-26-12, 17:22
Both guys are great guys and incredible instructors

NeoNeanderthal
01-19-13, 13:30
The new season is even better then the old. The spec ops guy actually has the creds to represent the military side of the spectrum.

Moose-Knuckle
01-19-13, 15:06
The new season is even better then the old. The spec ops guy actually has the creds to represent the military side of the spectrum.

I agree, the new co-host Joe Teti is a WAY better than the last um "poser". Joe is said to be former Marine Recon, Army SF, and JSOC.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/dual-survival/videos/codys-new-partner.htm

NeoNeanderthal
01-19-13, 15:28
I agree, the new co-host Joe Teti is a WAY better than the last um "poser". Joe is said to be former Marine Recon, Army SF, and JSOC.

I still don't understand how
1)a person would lie about that sort of thing and then go on national television for a few years and expect not to get caught.
2) a television network would employ a person solely to use their military background to provide a point of view, without researching their ****ing background! If Dave wasn't trained in military survival then that debunks the whole premise of the show. You would think they would research the factor that the entire show pivots on....

Kaw77
01-22-13, 12:12

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/dual-survival/videos/codys-new-partner.htm

I have to agree -- a much better show now

currahee
01-22-13, 12:31
I like it as a balance between entertainment and education. They probably force some of the drama, but not nearly as bad as Man vs Wild- which I can't watch. I get cool tidbits of info from it.

I definately like the new guy more.

pilotguyo540
03-06-14, 09:45
Cody Lundin has been fired. He had different views than the network about safety aparantly.

ra2bach
05-24-14, 12:00
the recent episodes I've seen have shown Cody acting off-script and at one point he says he is fried. the disagreements and bickering between him and Joe were getting worse and the producers were open about it though I don't know whether he was fired or quit.

they made it to episode four of season four and he was replaced. the new guy that replaces him seems more compatible with Joe. looking forward to seeing the new show...

tb-av
05-24-14, 12:20
I still don't understand how
1)a person would lie about that sort of thing and then go on national television for a few years and expect not to get caught.
2) a television network would employ a person solely to use their military background to provide a point of view, without researching their ****ing background! If Dave wasn't trained in military survival then that debunks the whole premise of the show. You would think they would research the factor that the entire show pivots on....

Agree on 1)... I never have been able to figure how people expect to get away the lies.

But on 2) ... you have to realize the network has made it's money.. if a show runs 3, 4, 5 years they have made the money and 'holy cow, we were even more surprised than you to find out!'... if the show format is successful, just replace the actors. It's all forgotten in 2 episodes.