PDA

View Full Version : Wife Carry Pistol Question

abn45bravo
11-19-11, 22:47
I am Abn45bravo's wife just to start out...

I bought a FN five-seven today as a carry (first pistol I have owned).... I think it was the wrong choice. I bounced back and forth from the 1911, M&p in .45 and a FN-9.

I like the FN five-seven and how light the trigger is and all the set up and I am accurate with it. BUT it is a 5.7, I feel like I am shooting a .22, which is not good if I was in a dark alley about the be raped...

What would you suggest for a carry?

SWATcop556
11-19-11, 23:10
Anything you will carry 100% of the time, train with it, become proficient with it, and comes in a effective SD caliber A Glock 19 is a jack of all trades pistol.

And friends don't let their friend's wives post online....bad things happen. :no:

warpedcamshaft
11-19-11, 23:10
The FN five-seven is a pretty large pistol. How exactly are you planning on carrying it?

Also, I would recommend a cartridge like 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 over the 5.7. Give some of DocGKR's information a read under the Terminal Ballistics section of the forum.

abn45bravo
11-19-11, 23:12
The FN five-seven is a pretty large pistol. How exactly are you planning on carrying it?

Also, I would recommend a cartridge like 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 over the 5.7. Give some of DocGKR's information a read under the Terminal Ballistics section of the forum.

I already did that, and I would carry on my side, just like I would any other pistol.

warpedcamshaft
11-19-11, 23:18
You are going to get a ton of recommendations for the Glock 19 on this forum. A lot of Glock fans here, and for a good reason

My wife loves shooting Glocks, and does well with the Glock 17,19,23,etc...

She prefers the Gen4 guns without any of the grip extensions.

warpedcamshaft
11-19-11, 23:27
I should add that my wife also enjoys shooting smaller revolvers, and has trained with them as well.

howardbl
11-20-11, 08:52
Help with handgun selection and SD training by another woman can be very productive. Kay Miculek and the Babeswithbullets.com program comes very highly recommended.

TriviaMonster
11-20-11, 08:59
Since you already mentioned a solid platform, the M&P45, maybe try a compact M&P9? Or, maybe a smaller 1911 platform, the EMP's from Springfield are a fine 9mm platform for carry, albeit expensive.

Nephrology
11-20-11, 09:04
Look into a 9mm polymer handgun of some stripe - they really are the wave of the future, to use a little hyperbole.

Glock 19 or Glock 26 or the M&P 9c are probably all solid choices for on the body carry for a female as long as you make the wardrobe adjustments to do so. A single stack like the Walther PPS should also be considered as it will give you considerably more latitude in the fit of your clothes. A .45 single stack, too, might not be a horrible choice if you enjoy shooting .45 - the Glock 36 springs to mind but they are sort of the redheaded stepchild of glocks. Honestly some pattern of 1911 pistol with slim grips also wouldnt be a terrible choice - maybe the springfield EMP or a CCO model - but they are heavy and, in my mind, the 1911 pattern is better suited for someone willing to spend a lot of time on the workbench with their pistol.

I can't really recommend the FN as it lacks much of an aftermarket but their pistols do undeniably work.

Oh, and yes you are correct in your mistrust of the 5.7mm cartridge. Switch to a tried-and-true centerfire classic like 9mm, .40. or .45. Pick whichever one you feel comfortable with; the difference between the 3 calibers is like the difference between 20ga, 16ga and 12ga -sure, there is a difference, but your target probably won't notice it much.

Vulture38
11-20-11, 09:11
All things being equal, better 5.7 than nothing at all. Do consider looking at acquiring another pistol though.

Ty_B
11-20-11, 09:54
How often do you (or will you) practice? I ask because that may be one consideration. Crimson Trace laser grips integrate fairly smoothly into the M&P line, so if you don't get to practice much more than once a month, some type of alternate sighting system may be a good idea.

Otherwise, my only recommendation is to get the largest pistol that you will carry. I say this because it will be easier to shoot and the recoil will be less than the compact models.

If this will also be your nightstand gun, choosing one with a rail will enable you to snap on a light when you get home, assuming you wouldn't want to deal with the extra bulk for carry.

TriviaMonster
11-20-11, 10:32
How often do you (or will you) practice? I ask because that may be one consideration. Crimson Trace laser grips integrate fairly smoothly into the M&P line, so if you don't get to practice much more than once a month, some type of alternate sighting system may be a good idea.

Otherwise, my only recommendation is to get the largest pistol that you will carry. I say this because it will be easier to shoot and the recoil will be less than the compact models.

If this will also be your nightstand gun, choosing one with a rail will enable you to snap on a light when you get home, assuming you wouldn't want to deal with the extra bulk for carry.

No, no, no. See most people have practice in their head as going to the range and shooting live rounds. I would say 2/3rds of my practice involves at home drills. Example: 30 draw strokes, 30 reloads, 30 tap-rack-ready's, 30 chest-ready to full ready, some snap cap dry firing, and others. I would venture to say this regiment helps me more than just simply shooting. I just do a 2 things from my a list a day, in just a matter of a few minutes. This morning before work I did 30 draw strokes from my IWB holster, and when I get home it will probably be some full speed tap, rack, and ready action.

Try these things. Since I started doing these things religiously I have become much more accurate and precise, and added some speed along the way.

DeltaSierra
11-20-11, 10:48
How often do you (or will you) practice?

If you won't practice often (or at all) you have NO business carrying a firearm.

As far as I am concerned, lasers serve no useful purpose on a handgun, but to make it easier for lazy people to think that they are proficient with a handgun, and therefore that they don't need to practice as much as they should.

abn45bravo
11-20-11, 11:11
My husband would make me practice at home, at the range and probably even walking to get use to what the draw would feel like if I was being attacked.

The reason I liked the FN five-seven is because of the light trigger, the 1911 I shoot pretty well and I am comfortable with it.

My husband has said Glock also, but I do not like the trigger on Glocks, I also shot the HK pretty well in 9 mil but it didn't feel comfortable to me as something I would carry as self defense.

Nephrology
11-20-11, 12:32
My husband would make me practice at home, at the range and probably even walking to get use to what the draw would feel like if I was being attacked.

The reason I liked the FN five-seven is because of the light trigger, the 1911 I shoot pretty well and I am comfortable with it.

My husband has said Glock also, but I do not like the trigger on Glocks, I also shot the HK pretty well in 9 mil but it didn't feel comfortable to me as something I would carry as self defense.

what did you dislike about the trigger? it can be learned, FYI. If the rest of the gun pleases you otherwise (capacity, size, weight, etc) worry about the trigger last.

what didnt you like about the HK?

shua713
11-20-11, 13:13
I just bought my wife a sig p239. It is a single stack mag, witch make the grip a little smaller to fit womens hands nicely.

Ty_B
11-20-11, 15:00
No, no, no. See most people have practice in their head as going to the range and shooting live rounds. I would say 2/3rds of my practice involves at home drills. Example: 30 draw strokes, 30 reloads, 30 tap-rack-ready's, 30 chest-ready to full ready, some snap cap dry firing, and others. I would venture to say this regiment helps me more than just simply shooting. I just do a 2 things from my a list a day, in just a matter of a few minutes. This morning before work I did 30 draw strokes from my IWB holster, and when I get home it will probably be some full speed tap, rack, and ready action.

Try these things. Since I started doing these things religiously I have become much more accurate and precise, and added some speed along the way.

I never said nor implied that non-shooting drills were useless.

As far as the laser comment; I'm not going to argue about lasers here. My wife's house gun has one on it. Do whatever you want. Here's an article from the laziest of shooters, LAV:
http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/crimson-trace-lasergrips/

abn45bravo
11-20-11, 17:03
I got a M&P 9 today.

DeltaSierra
11-20-11, 17:14
Here's an article from the laziest of shooters, LAV:
http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/crimson-trace-lasergrips/

That just proves my point when Larry says "Remember they are meant to augment the standard pistol sights, not replace them."

I haven't met anyone yet that wanted the laser to "augment the standard pistol sights," but rather they all wanted something that would make them magically shoot better without practicing.

Axcelea
11-20-11, 19:13
I got a M&P 9 today.

Good move, though if its full sized it might be a little hard to conceal under certain circumstances. Good pistol at any rate.

Tigereye
11-21-11, 06:20
There is a web site called Thecorneredcat.com that may be helpful for women shooters. I found it when my wife was looking for a gun. We also spent time at a range with a large selection of rental guns that she could try.

BaronFitz
11-21-11, 14:25
My wife is running an M&P 9 Julie Goloski (now Golob) edition with the pink backstrap. Once you junk the stock trigger and install an Apex kit with Reset Assist Module (RAM) you'll have a very nice trigger pull compared to the gritty pull and indistinct reset of the stock trigger.

She ran ~1000 rounds through it over the course of two days with me in a Red Back One pistol course...it held up well.

MiggyE
12-01-11, 08:49
got my wife a Tanfoglio FT9 two years ago. back then i was usually on 24 hour duty 2-3 times a week and our neighborhood was.... less than ideal. she would sleep with my Tanfoglio Force 9 out of the drawer i usually kept it. anyway, she actually found it difficult using a 9mm or my 1911 45 (delicate hands) and since she an ophthalmologist, she doesn't want those hands bruised too much. in the end she settled on a Tanfoglio FT9 in .380. i think it had to do with the fact that the grips of the FT9 were done in pink. :sarcastic:

Gentoo
12-01-11, 09:46
Get what will actually be carried. The LCP in the pocket is 1000x better than the tricked out .45 left at home.

Outlaw621
12-01-11, 10:13
No one can tell you what would be the best gun for you to carry. Every person is different. My wife prefers to carry my Sig 226 in .40 or my 220 in .45. The best advice I can offer to deciding on a carry gun is to find a local range that rents guns so you can shoot many of them to help you decide. Don't spend all your effort on trigger pull or trigger reaction. Now days just about all triggers can be "worked" for a better feel.

MiggyE
12-07-11, 07:55
i think sir outlaw621 has an excellent suggestion. in this way, you could find out which one she is really comfortable with....

suthrncop66
12-10-11, 02:07
I would recommend a small hammerless revolver like the lcr in 357....can be carried in purse and actually shot from purse without a hammer or slide to worry about hanging up... No tap,rack,bang training...if it doesnt fire pull the trigger again..simple and effective

Arc Angel
12-10-11, 10:21
I am Abn45bravo's wife just to start out...

I bought a FN five-seven today as a carry (first pistol I have owned).... I think it was the wrong choice. I bounced back and forth from the 1911, M&p in .45 and a FN-9.

I like the FN five-seven and how light the trigger is and all the set up and I am accurate with it. BUT it is a 5.7, I feel like I am shooting a .22, which is not good if I was in a dark alley about the be raped...

What would you suggest for a carry?

:) Personally, I think you made a very excellent choice for a woman's EDC! Make no mistake: You are NOT going to be shooting a 22 Magnum (or LR). If you still have doubts, reflect for a moment upon the horrific damage Major Hasan did at Fort Hood, TX with his Five-seveN!

I know 3 women who carry this pistol; everyone of them absolutely loves shooting it, and tends to hit what she aims at. A male acquaintance of mine who owns a busy jewelry store and pawn shop carries an FN Five-seveN as his personal sidearm. He's, also, very fond of this pistol/caliber combination.

I was surprised when I first noticed a Five-seveN on his belt; for years he'd always carried an expensive Kimber 45 acp; but, not anymore; and he's, unquestionably, much more likely to need his pistol than I think I would ever be with mine. Good choice, good pistol! Carry an extra magazine and remember to practice often with it the way everyone's recommended.

Being accurate with your carry pistol is really important - I think you did good! Now, relax and enjoy owning and being able to use such a classy pistol. ;)

tpd223
12-10-11, 11:46
As far as I am concerned, lasers serve no useful purpose on a handgun, but to make it easier for lazy people to think that they are proficient with a handgun, and therefore that they don't need to practice as much as they should.

That is a rather harsh and all encompassing statement that is demonstrably untrue.

Lasers on pistols have many useful uses, including as an adjunct to dry fire as part of your practice regimen.

Anyway, I was going to throw out that my wife greatly prefers the Kahr 9mms, two reasons are she prefers the easy and smooth DAO trigger on the Kahr line, and how flat the pistols are due to being single stack.

tpd223
12-10-11, 11:52
...a bunch of retarded bullshit posted by arcangel....

You seriously did not just post that.

First, murdering a bunch of unarmed defenseless people proves NOTHING about the efficacy of the 5.7 as a defensive caliber.

The next person I hear in person talk about how great the 5.7 is because of the body count in the Ft. Hood atrocity is likely to get throat punched. That retarded shit just boils my blood.

Read this;

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19913

and learn something.

The 5.7 IS just a glorified .22magnum, period.

Arc Angel
12-10-11, 11:55
...... Lasers on pistols have many useful uses, including as an adjunct to dry fire as part of your practice regimen. ......

Very true! Perhaps the most useful and pragmatic use of a pistol laser sight, too. Me? I think lasers and snap caps are two of the best pistol training tools, yet, to come along.

Every now and then I'll be impressed by some pistol shooter who, also, knows how to make his laser really work well for him during a rapid fire event. Now, these laser pistoleros are few and far between; but, like I said, every now and then I'll run into one; and the fellow is always impressive!

Arc Angel
12-10-11, 17:44
You seriously did not just post that.

First, murdering a bunch of unarmed defenseless people proves NOTHING about the efficacy of the 5.7 as a defensive caliber.

The next person I hear in person talk about how great the 5.7 is because of the body count in the Ft. Hood atrocity is likely to get throat punched. That retarded shit just boils my blood.

Read this;

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19913

and learn something.

The 5.7 IS just a glorified .22magnum, period.

Your, 'internet courage' is showing. :D

Lighten up, Asshole! What you read and what you think you read are two different things. I did NOT say what you've taken such unwarranted umbrage at.

You know, it's because of blowhard internet, 'gun mutts' like you that I find myself spending less and less time on anybody's gun forum. I thought that, maybe, M4Carbine.net might be different; but, with the sort of crap and unwarranted vitriole you've just posted it's become increasing clear to me that a, 'little dick with a loud mouth and a gun' can show up anywhere.

Perhaps we understand each other better now?

SWATcop556
12-11-11, 09:09
Oh we understand each other just fine. Arc I suggest checking up the 'tude there and show a little respect. I'm with tpd223 (who I happen to know is a standup dude and far from a gun mutt) that using the slaughter of defenseless people to show how effective a weapon is was a poor choice, especially given the large number of veterans who post here. Consider this a public warning that your are firmly off the reservation with the asshole and little dick comments. That shit stops now.

Feel free to refrain from posting if you can't follow the rules of OUR lil internut gun forum.

Arc Angel
12-11-11, 12:27
Oh we understand each other just fine. Arc I suggest checking up the 'tude there and show a little respect. I'm with tpd223 (who I happen to know is a standup dude and far from a gun mutt) that using the slaughter of defenseless people to show how effective a weapon is was a poor choice, especially given the large number of veterans who post here. Consider this a public warning that your are firmly off the reservation with the asshole and little dick comments. That shit stops now.

Feel free to refrain from posting if you can't follow the rules of OUR lil internut gun forum.

Really? Then show me any other well-known example of the effectiveness of the 5.7 x 28mm cartridge IN ANY OF ITS SEVERAL VARIATIONS? Nothing derogatory was either meant or implied. The two of you guys are just, 'blowing smoke'.

I've got several other things I want to say to you; so I'm taking the rest of this conversation off the board. Read your mail, Sport.

SWATcop556
12-11-11, 12:53
Oh I did read my mail Sport and in the infamous words of Curly Bill (and famously quoted by JSantoro)

Well.........bye.

SteveS
12-30-11, 21:30
I would like to suggest an airweight J frame 442 . They are easy to get into action and will function with a contact shot. The j frame is not internet commando approved but it suits the intended purpose . That being said the best choice is something you feel comfortable handling.