PDA

View Full Version : M4 Extension and Marginal M4 ramps...

SHIVAN
11-27-07, 22:41
Let's say you have an upper receiver with marginal, or barely existent "M4 ramps", and you are getting a new barrel....

If you get an M4 ramped barrel you will probably be Ok, right?

Whereas if you get a non-M4 barrel you may end up with some cleanup needed on the barrel extension feedlips.

Is this correct?

Peacekeeper1408
11-27-07, 23:28
It is my understanding that you can use either extension in a standard upper, but an M4 upper has to have the ramps on the extension or there will be a lip that the bullet nose can catch on.

Buck
11-28-07, 02:26
Let's say you have an upper receiver with marginal, or barely existent "M4 ramps", and you are getting a new barrel....

If you get an M4 ramped barrel you will probably be Ok, right?

Whereas if you get a non-M4 barrel you may end up with some cleanup needed on the barrel extension feedlips.

Is this correct?

From AR15barrels.com...

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/feedramps2.jpg

Robb Jensen
11-28-07, 04:44
Yes if your receiver has ramps at all. Then you should have a barrel w/M4 ramps if you don't you should blend the bbl extension on a rifle ramped bbl into the ramps on the receiver.

SHIVAN
11-28-07, 09:36
Yes if your receiver has ramps at all. Then you should have a barrel w/M4 ramps if you don't you should blend the bbl extension on a rifle ramped bbl into the ramps on the receiver.

You mean like with a dremel? :eek:

The ramping; really isn't. Though someone did make an attempt, it looks like their dremel, or file, or whatever made one pass over it with about 0.5lbs of pressure.

I might take a picture of it, though I can't recall whose upper it is, it's pretty pathetic in that one regard.

I'll get the M4 ramped barrel since it will work fine with a rifle upper as shown in the pic above.

Thanks all!

aloharover
11-28-07, 09:49
You mean like with a dremel? :eek:

Yeah. If you take a look at the DIY market you would be pleasantly surprised by some of the firearms a dremel has built. :)

I don't think I would recommend chucking up a router bit and start hogging out your receiver :p , but a fine sanding drum might work, followed by a craytex(sp) rod.

SHIVAN
11-28-07, 10:58
Yeah. If you take a look at the DIY market you would be pleasantly surprised by some of the firearms a dremel has built. :)

'Twas a joke...:D

In the end, I doubt it will need the " surgery" on the receiver -- based on the pictures above.

Failure2Stop
11-28-07, 14:52

You should see my USPSA G35. Nothing pleasant about it :( .

Damn Dremel.