PDA

View Full Version : Question on Hndy TAP 75 gr bthp fragmenting

Metal782
11-20-11, 01:39
I always see people putting down v-max type bullets as a man stopper because they fragment, but praising the 75 gr tap rounds when they fragment too. What makes one fragmenting round so much more superior? I have heard great things about the 75 gr bthp's but have always thought a bullet that held together would perform better. I have plenty of fmj, but am looking for something that might transfer more energy out to 200-300 yards.

Generalpie
11-20-11, 10:02
Read doc's stickies above. Essentially ballistic tip ammo destructs itself completely in a couple inches. Heavier fragmenting rounds yaw and break apart allowing larger fragments to penetrate to a more consistantly acceptable depth.

From much testing, both lab and real world, protocals have ben developed to test ammunition to a minimum level of performance. Just reading on the testing can keep you busy for days.

Todd.K
11-20-11, 11:43
Varmint weight bullets of normal HP, SP, or tipped construction are designed for terminal performance on small rodents. Heavier OTM designs can fragment and still meet penetration minimum on unobstructed shots.

Here is an example, note the penetration of the 50gr vs 77gr.
http://le.atk.com/pdf/223RifleDataBook.pdf