PDA

View Full Version : Police with Paint ball Guns?

crossgun
11-20-11, 07:39
Guess this is new to me but are Law Enforcement Agencies using paintball guns for crowd control these days? Really?

Just watched this video and was not only shocked by the actions but the "weapons".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnR7xET7Uo&feature=player_embedded

We are truly in a bad place as a country today and I fear many bad things are in the near future. Hopefully good will come from all of this but there will be a lot of pain first. Hopefully we are still the people that founded this country and are prepared to do as they did to get what they believed in. I do question that and fear that like many here that the day that I stand out in front of my home with my boots on the ground may not be that far off.

It will be a sad day knowing that many of our brothers will stand in our way to right the ship. Apparently history does and will repeat itself. Better it's me rather than my children!

Word to the wise, don’t bring pepper spray and paintballs.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a mil-spec paint ball blaster?

50 paint ball guns and pepper spray can’t work against 1000 kids with a cause and purpose when in a split second they decide enough is enough. Guess I just don’t understand the tactics.

Is there really a place for a paintball weapon? Seriously, I know really nothing about them other than something the kids like to play with.

God Bless us all!

Low Drag
11-20-11, 07:59
As I understand it the "paint ball guns" are used to shoot pepper spray filed balls.

In the linked vid my understanding is these people were asked then told to leave they did not and were hit with OC.

KhanRad
11-20-11, 08:43
As I understand it the "paint ball guns" are used to shoot pepper spray filed balls.

In the linked vid my understanding is these people were asked then told to leave they did not and were hit with OC.

Yes we do. The paintballs are instead filled with a pepper powder which has the same effects as pepper spray. However, it is a more expensive delivery system than just spraying the stuff on there. So, we usually reserve it for longer ranged situations.

Water cannons are also great.....especially in the winter time. When protesters are soaked in cold weather, they have a tendency to go home.

An Undocumented Worker
11-20-11, 08:55
Yes we do. The paintballs are instead filled with a pepper powder which has the same effects as pepper spray. However, it is a more expensive delivery system than just spraying the stuff on there. So, we usually reserve it for longer ranged situations.

Water cannons are also great.....especially in the winter time. When protesters are soaked in cold weather, they have a tendency to go home.

Unfortunately due to actions undertaken during the 60's the water cannon has essentially been blackballed from law enforcement roles due to supposed negative connotations associated with it. Though it really does seem to be the most effective tool for breaking up large crowds of unruly people, while keeping the risk of injury low.

WillBrink
11-20-11, 09:02
Guess this is new to me but are Law Enforcement Agencies using paintball guns for crowd control these days? Really?

For at least a decade + I believe. They are pepper filled balls, generally fired in front of the people as to cause upward splatter spray, or center mass area which causes pepper to again splatter up into the face.

They are not toys however and can do real damage if fired into the face and other soft tissues, and training required.

I was present for the non lethal training course for a major city PD where the above, and various less lethal were trained, various rubber balls, rubber bullets, bags, plugs, etc.

Some them are specialized tools firing a shaped projectile at real velocity and are designed specifically to be skipped off the ground into the legs and such to disperse people, and fired directly at the person at close range, can do serious damage. The one used in story below was manufactured by Fabrique Nationale de Herstal and some PDs discontinued use of it after that event.

I'm sure an experienced LEO here can give more details.

Some PDs are given those tools minus requisite training, and bad things happen. This happened in Boston:

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOSTON: A college student celebrating the Boston Red Sox come-from-behind victory over the New York Yankees was killed after a police officer called in to control the rowdy crowd shot her in the eye with what was designed to be a non-lethal projectile.

Fifteen other people, including a police officer, suffered minor injuries in Boston's Kenmore Square neighbourhood early yesterday after thousands of baseball fans spilled onto the streets near Fenway Park to celebrate the Red Sox winning the American League pennant at Yankee Stadium.

Boston's mayor said he was considering banning alcohol sales in the city during the World Series to avoid a repeat of the rowdiness.

Victoria Snelgrove, a 21-year-old journalism major at Emerson College, was hit by a projectile fired by an officer on crowd-control duty. Snelgrove died of a head injury at Brigham and Women's Hospital later in the day.

After Math:

On September 16, 2005, O'Toole demoted the police superintendent who was in charge the night of the shooting to captain and suspended two officers. She also issued written reprimands to two other officers. Milien agreed to accept a 45-day suspension without pay. The deputy superintendent outside Fenway Park at the time of the incident was also criticized for poor decisions that led to Snelgrove's death, but had already retired.

Spiffums
11-20-11, 11:03
I saw Dog shoot some pepper balls at a mean a$$ pitbull and he shot at the pavement and the balls did puff up a really nice cloud spread of mace.

I can see where it has a use because you don't have to get close enough to get hurt by the crowd.

RD62
11-20-11, 14:11
The Dept I used to work for had "paint ball" guns from FN that were used for deploying OC balls for crowd control, barricaded suspects (usually mental), etc.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-20-11, 18:12
That was a rough video to watch. I dont like seeing police brutality, I dont like hippies, I dont like the OWS movement, I dont like the 1st Ammendment being trampled on. Dude, Im confused.

11B101ABN
11-20-11, 19:53
That wasn't brutality. The students were given warnings, to include the type of agent to be used, by the ranked officer that was going to deliver it.

OC is pretty low in terms of UoF. However this officer is being thrown under the bus by his employers.

Alric
11-20-11, 21:02
I've also seen little yellow rubber balls that can be shot from a normal paintball marker. Those little things hurt and leave welts :D

WillBrink
11-21-11, 07:35
That was a rough video to watch. I dont like seeing police brutality,

I must have missed that part of the vid. :rolleyes:

markm
11-21-11, 08:30
I must have missed that part of the vid. :rolleyes:

No kidding. And the first amendment doesn't mean you can camp and shit wherever you feel like doing so.

If these ASS Tards would assemble and go home each day, it wouldn't be an issue. But they have to be a total pain in the ass to get attention.

jwfuhrman
11-21-11, 09:04
I've also seen little yellow rubber balls that can be shot from a normal paintball marker. Those little things hurt and leave welts :D

Yea they are called Reball. Indoor fields and practice arenas got them cause they are reusable, but the damn things would cause jams and other stuff in certain loaders, and u had to chrono your gun down to 260fps instead of 300.

NCPatrolAR
11-21-11, 10:35
The "paintball" guns are sold by Pepperball.

The unit used in Boston is the FN-303.

The officers doing the pepper spraying in the videos are being investigated for the use of excessive force and will likely be punished for it. The officers and agency will also be named in multiple lawsuits

militarymoron
11-21-11, 11:19
Can anyone point me in the direction of a mil-spec paint ball blaster?

the closest thing i've seen - the FN 303, as NCpatrolAR mentioned:
http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=368&backPID=255&productID=90&pid_product=254&pidList=255&categorySelector=3&detail=&cHash=27ecec5828