PDA

View Full Version : Silencer questions

TunaFisherman
11-20-11, 21:01
I soon will be sending my hard earned $$$ to the ATF.
I plan on buying two. So I have a few questions, new area to me so please dont give the "use search" answers.

~5.56mm BCM 16" Carbine~

What are considered quality companies to buy from?

Quick attach with flash hider or one that screws on directly?

What things should I look for or avoid?

Gas Buster charging handle?

This is one I am considering buying....
(AAC) Advanced Armament Corp
M4-2000 fast attach & Blackout 51T
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=197
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=509

~Ruger 10/22 / Ruger .22 Mag bolt action / Walther P22~

I would like to buy this one the AAC ELEMENT, for my .22 cal weapons.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=488

AAC
Spikes
Silencer co
Liberty
YHM
There seem to be so many choices.....
Are my AAC choices a good buy? I don't mind paying more for quality.

Silent
11-20-11, 21:13
I have an AAC Element and can say its great and would recommend it to you...

I would recommend an AAC M4-2000 for your AR.

Gas buster will help to stop some of the excessive gas coming back and hitting you in the face

As for if you want to go thread / Quick attach its up to you

QA is easier / more convenient in my opinion

Threaded is usually more accurate / Less POI shift due to tighter tolerances

glocktogo
11-20-11, 21:33
I have an AAC Element and can say its great and would recommend it to you...

I would recommend an AAC M4-2000 for your AR.

Gas buster will help to stop some of the excessive gas coming back and hitting you in the face

As for if you want to go thread / Quick attach its up to you

QA is easier / more convenient in my opinion

Threaded is usually more accurate / Less POI shift due to tighter tolerances

The M42K is a great 5.56 can, but go with the Breakout, or better yet, the 2 chamber comp mount. They act as a sacrificial blast baffle, extending the life of your can.

The Element is a good .22 can, but you also need to check out the Silencerco Stainless Sparrow and the SWR Spectre. These are two of the top rated .22 cans available. Silencerco and SWR are merging btw.
As for the PRI Gas Buster, I don't care for them personally. The BCM Gunfighter CH is superior and you can use the cheap RTV sealant mod to eliminate gas in the face. I run an M42K on an 11.5" upper, full auto with no gas issues using this setup.

TunaFisherman
11-20-11, 21:58
Will the Sparrow and the Specter work with .22 mag?

Yes I read a thread where guys were using RVT on the upper to block gasses. Guess I need to do a search for DIY thread again

johnson
11-20-11, 22:05
Will the Sparrow and the Specter work with .22 mag?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=silencerco+sparrow
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=swr+spectre

TunaFisherman
11-20-11, 22:21
I went to thier website and read the spec pdf.
Does the inner shroud help that much over the other style off baffles and outer tube only?

Iraqgunz
11-20-11, 23:52
Consider an AAC Mini-4 or the Surefire Mini. I believe that the Micro may even be a good fit as well.

If you can go shorter I recommend it as well. Possibly a 14.5" with a Micro can.

TunaFisherman
11-21-11, 00:00
Consider an AAC M4S or the Surefire Mini. I believe that the Micro may even be a good fit as well.

If you can go shorter I recommend it as well. Possibly a 14.5" with a Micro can.

By 14.5" you mean a SBR? If so my state does not allow SBR.
We are trying to change that.

Iraqgunz , What do you think about the inner shroud on the Sparrow?
Does this really matter when taking a suppressor apart to clean? Wear and tear..

Iraqgunz
11-21-11, 00:09
Yes- If an SBR is not allowed then I would possibly consider a 14.5" pinned even though I am generally against them.

I have no idea about the Sparrow and I tend to stick with brands that have a well proven track record.

I wouldn't rule out a Gem-tech either.

By 14.5" you mean a SBR? If so my state does not allow SBR.
We are trying to change that.

Iraqgunz , What do you think about the inner shroud on the Sparrow?
Does this really matter when taking a suppressor apart to clean? Wear and tear..

TunaFisherman
11-21-11, 00:18
Ok thanks for all the good info. I have some reading to do on these suggestions.

I am also looking at the DB info on the Surefire MINI. Says its reduces to 138 DB from ? What is approximate DB from 16" Carbine with M855?

Does any one have the SPR/m4?
I would like to see how this looks at 8" long... am I corrrect that 4" of its length is actually before the end of the rifle barrel?

markm
11-21-11, 10:29
Firstly.... buy a can that is at your dealer. Don't order one. ATF is going to take long enough as it is.... you don't want to be waitng for AAC to get your can to the dealer too.

I know a guy who bought a few cans from a dealer hours away from his house. That beats the hell out of months waiting for the imbeciles in this industry to get your can done/delivered, etc.

If you're running a 16" gun, you don't need a ****ing obnoxious brake. I've got thousands of rounds on my can without a brake, and my blast baffle looks pretty much new... just blackened.

dpaqu
11-21-11, 10:40
Please check out this test.

http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?649-5.56mm-suppressors-(and-7.62mm-QD-cans-on-5.56mm)-SOUND-TESTING-on-a-KAC-SR15E3-(16-quot-)

Then look up the thread on the AAC mini4 becouse if you can't SBR (and don't want to get a bullpup) then your gun is going to be real long and slaming a M4SPR on there is going to be silly. Not just becouse your going to have a long gun but becouse your putting a inconel brick on the end of a 16" lever.

Glad you pointed this out, will work to make it all comparable across models.

OK, here you go (with the 762-SDN-6 thrown in as a reference).

The typical BLACKOUT flash hider mount is 2.5" long. for the sake of simplicity, let's call typical AR threads .5" long. for an addition of 2" from the muzzle.

OK, from left to right:
The 762-SDN-6 is 7.66" long, 19.85 oz, and adds 5.16" beyond the BLACKOUT hider, or 7.16" past the bare muzzle.

The M4-2000 is 6.625" long, 17.1 oz, and adds 4.125" beyond the BLACKOUT hider, or 6.125" past the bare muzzle.

The MINI4 is 5.25" long, 13.5 oz, and adds 2.75" beyond the BLACKOUT hider, or 4.75" past the bare muzzle.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/st/compare.jpg

glocktogo
11-21-11, 11:17
I went to thier website and read the spec pdf.
Does the inner shroud help that much over the other style off baffles and outer tube only?

You can go longer between cleanings without running into issues. The monocore baffle stacks are nice, and the inner sleeves are a breeze to clean up. The inner O-ring keeps the can snug on the barrel without teflon tape or overtightening, which is also nice. The only downside to the SS Sparrow is a slightly elevated first round pop. It's a non-issue for me. A couple of hits with a nasal mister filled with water takes care of that.

TunaFisherman
11-21-11, 19:54
I do all my NFA buying thru my local gun dealer.

Length is a issue so I see where the "micro" suppressors are a great deal.
Is there a huge diff in sound supprresion when you shorten up?

TehLlama
11-22-11, 03:33
If you're going to focus on numbers, each less baffle is going to drop around 2dB in performance, but in practical terms you're still running a loud action (circa 127dB kPa at peak freq.) with a supersonic crack coming out the front. A mini can is still going to get you the signature suppression you want - so weight and POI shift if you're removing it at all become the key items.

As much as I shy away from pinned 14.5" units anymore, using that as a sacrificial host barrel for a can (SF Mini or AAC Mini) would probably work best. A reflex can SOUNDS good in your case, but the only one that would be worth considering would be the OPS M4M off a custom 14.7" setup, and with that much unique hardware you're going to be better off running a slightly lighter weight barrel profile (I'd recommend the Centurion LW 14.5" Middy) and a muzzle device can as stated above.

Get ready to read and google a LOT before you make a decision you're comfortable with. There are lots of good options, it's just hard not to feel pigeonholed once you've purchased because of the stamp.

TunaFisherman
11-22-11, 20:22
Yes I have been reading alot.
My gun dealer has Gemtech and YHM in stock for both 5.56 and .22
He says for what I will be using it for either should work.
I'm still researching...

Thanks for all the good info guys, I believe this is one of the best gun forums around and I belong to several. I like the no bs answers.

JTG40cal
11-22-11, 20:58
Consider an AAC Mini-4 or the Surefire Mini. I believe that the Micro may even be a good fit as well.

Quick question...I know Surefire says that there is no barrel overlap with their mini, but what does that mean exactly? For example, would I be able to run a Mini on a 10.5" barrel with a 10" SAR rail? Or would the suppressor hit the rail? Would I have to go with something that has a larger inside diameter like the BAR rail? Or just run a 9" rail.

johnson
11-22-11, 21:21
Quick question...I know Surefire says that there is no barrel overlap with their mini, but what does that mean exactly? For example, would I be able to run a Mini on a 10.5" barrel with a 10" SAR rail? Or would the suppressor hit the rail? Would I have to go with something that has a larger inside diameter like the BAR rail? Or just run a 9" rail.

Barrel length is measured from the bolt face. You would need a 9.5" or shorter hand guard for it to fit.

edit: Since the SAR has the same dimensions as the BAR, it would fit inside but I'm not sure how you would get to the locking mechanism.

JTG40cal
11-22-11, 21:23
Barrel length is measured from the bolt face. You would need a 9.5" or shorter hand guard for it to fit.

That's what I figured. Thank you VERY much for the info!