PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 Gen 3 RTF2 or Gen 4

Doxiedad
11-21-11, 04:32
I'm looking to get a Glock 17 to shoot GSSF, as well as range time etc. It will not be my carry gun, but if push comes to shove it could be my home defense gun.

I was in the LGS looking and they had 1 Gen 3 Glock 17 RTF2. The guy at the counter said they don't make them anymore and are hard to come by.

I decided to put one on hold with a deposit, since if I decide to go with a Gen 4 i can put that money towards that.

What would be the best choice for an amateur shooter such as myself.

Thanks.

JSGlock34
11-21-11, 06:13
The GEN3 G17 RTF2 is increasingly difficult to find and generally regarded as one of the better Glocks. It is true that the RTF2 is no longer in production. It is an excellent choice.

There are several threads on this forum about persistent problems with the GEN4 Glocks. While it is possible to get a GEN4 Glock to function reliably, I wouldn't recommend it for new shooters as some testing and parts replacement may be required to get it running correctly. And even the latest and greatest parts from Glock may not have solved all problems in all guns...

The GEN3 is the better bet. You're on the right track.

Doxiedad
11-21-11, 06:54
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll be able to get it paid for by Christmas.

Ptrlcop
11-21-11, 08:37
My Gen 3 RTF2 G17 is my favorite pistol by far. I would love to carry it on duty if I wasnt restricted to .40.

I have put about 5k on it since may and it runs like a champ.

eternal24k
11-21-11, 09:50
despite the fishgill serrations, the 17 RTF2 is almost perfect. I would grab one if you can.

jmlshooter
11-21-11, 10:31
I have one, and I actually like the gills a lot. Much easier to grab if you're drenched with sweat. My RTF2 has been flawless through thousands of rounds. The only thing I've noticed is that I'll get the rare piece of brass to the forehead.

The only thing to consider would be that the "polymids" on the frame that make the grip so great really do abrate everything. Your skin, your clothes, etc.

This is not an "I don't even know it's there" gun. You'll know it's there. The grip WILL snag your shirts and grate your skin if it's underneath a t-shirt.

JHC
11-21-11, 11:06
I'm a founding member of the Gen 4 Glee Club based on only outstanding results with two 17s and two 19s across 18K rounds - and yet my favorites are a RTF2 17 and a RTF2 19 and I'd vote for the RTF2 G17. But the caution offerred by jmlshooter is valid so take heed. But for your stated use, shouldn't be a problem.

Nephrology
11-21-11, 12:22
[QUOTE=jmlshooter;1148427]
The only thing to consider would be that the "polymids" on the frame that make the grip so great really do abrate everything. Your skin, your clothes, etc. /QUOTE]

Yes, very much the truth here. I tried OWB carrying my 17RTF and i screwed up the soft inside shell of a very expensive parka... oops...

The grip it offers however is second to none. It is my dedicated "game gun" and I would put it on home defense duty in a heartbeat if I didnt already keep my 19 loaded as well.

Guinnessman
11-21-11, 21:22
I have a G19 RTF2 that has been by far, my favorite handgun for carry and HD. The RTF2 texture can be a little abrasive for CCW, but if you wear an undershirt it is not a problem. The texture absolutely rocks and gives the best grip of any factory Glock made.

Doxiedad
11-21-11, 22:25
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to go with the RTF2 since its well liked and hard to find. I can always get a Gen4 later.

I won't be CCW it since I have a G27 that fills that role.