PDA

View Full Version : Training Belt Recommendation

montanadave
11-21-11, 09:08
I would like to purchase a belt with pad which allows for various belt holsters to be quickly swapped out without having to rejigger the whole works. What is the simplest system which would allow me to swap from my 1911 holster and mag carrier to, say, my Walther PPQ holster and mag carrier? All my holsters are standard 1.5" belt holsters. Is there a gizmo that allows those holsters to be easily attached to a MOLLE belt system?

I know these are pretty dumb ass questions but I do not have much experience with this type of gear and could use some help. I would just like a belt rig that I could take on and off to train with regardless of what I'm wearing or just for dry-fire drills around the house if I'm wearing a pair of sweats or shorts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ETA: I would also like something robust enough to be used in training classes (e.g. carrying additional mags, drop pouch, etc.).

uwe1
11-21-11, 09:26
At some recent classes, there were a lot of LE using the Safariland holsters with the quick release leg harness. I have no personal experience with them.

Watch the Video:

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6305

The BFG SOC-C belt I use requires that I "rejigger" the whole setup because I am using a Bladetech DOH w/ Stingray attachment for the holster. This attaches to the belt underneath. However, I standardized on Glocks and TLRs, so the G17/TLR holster covers all bases for me.

As far as a universal mag carrier, I think HSGI Tacos are fairly universal.
http://www.skdtac.com/hsgi-pistol-taco-p/hsg.313.htm

Treehopr
11-21-11, 10:28
I'd go with the Safariland MLS for the holster and possibly even some of the pouches.

For a belt, Blue Force Gear has a great deal on their SOC-C belts in UCP which they're discontinuing.

The HSGI Tacos or ITW Fastmags for ammo pouches...

I use the VTAC Brokos Belt and while not instantaneously able to reconfigure, it can be done with a little bit of effort.

montanadave
11-21-11, 11:37
One of my main concerns was to avoid having to buy additional holsters and using what I have.

It seems the VTAC Brokos belt allows for your main belt to be woven through the PALS webbing, exposing sections of the belt so a guy can just thread through the standard holster belt loops. Is that correct?

Treehopr
11-21-11, 12:46
If you want to use your existing holsters than o would go with the Brokos belt or First Spear Assaulters Gun Belt.

d90king
11-21-11, 13:12
The Brokos is a great training belt when used in conjunction with the VTAC Cobra belt. I really like the ability to use the belt to attach holster etc. It allows very fast equipment changes etc...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/6f920fea.jpg

rickp
11-21-11, 13:21
US Grunt Gear makes a good one.

www.usgruntgear.com

montanadave
11-21-11, 17:21
Who makes a 1.5" belt with a Cobra-buckle or a similar quick-release that would work with the VTAC Brokos belt but still be thin enough to thread through my standard holster loops?

rickp
11-21-11, 17:27

www.usgruntgear.com

they can make it.

duece71
11-21-11, 19:55

www.usgruntgear.com

+1. USGG makes awesome stuff. I believe their War hog belt has 1.75" double webbing to mount holsters.

Tiny86
11-22-11, 16:51
Take a look at Endeavor Stitch works. He is a member on here and makes great stuff. I have a 1.5 shooters belt from him and it is awesome.

endeavor
01-10-12, 07:51
Sorry I missed this , thank you for the kind works

kary
ESW

superr.stu
01-10-12, 08:29
Brokos is a very good belt, comfortable and easy to work with. I did have trouble with it digging in a little on me when using the Vtac cobra belt, but that probably has more to do with me being dimensionally equivalent to a holocaust survivor than it does with any shortcomings with the belt.

The Tac Tailor fight light belt also looks like an attractive option. GW from TT ran it in a 2 day class I was at, and it looked to be very well thought out as well.

shootist~
10-15-12, 19:23
Old thread, but I'm in the same boat as the OP:

Will the VTAC Brokos belt work with a 1.5" inner belt or do I need to replace my 1.5" belt holster and go with a 1.75" inner belt?

RCSMichael
10-16-12, 01:15
Old thread, but I'm in the same boat as the OP:

Will the VTAC Brokos belt work with a 1.5" inner belt or do I need to replace my 1.5" belt holster and go with a 1.75" inner belt?

CAN you get away with running a 1.5" inner belt? Yes.

Is it advisable? No.

Essentially you're asking if it's possible to mount a snow plow on your Ferrari, because you don't want to have to buy a second vehicle. It's possible (especially if you're good with tools) but it will never plow as well as a truck, and you'll ruin the performance of the Ferrari as a sports car...not to mention it will look downright stupid.

A "war belt" is designed to be a wide, stable, comfortable platform that is easy to don and doff, while remaining stiff enough to support the weight of numerous pouches containing multiple loaded rifle and pistol mags, blow out kits, etc.

Most CCW gun belts are designed to be narrow enough to fit through standard belt loops, while still being stiff enough to support the weight of a pistol, spare mags, and perhaps a flashlight or single rifle magazine.

Trying to save money and have one belt that does everything usually results in a compromise that gives you the worst of both worlds.

I suggest putting something like THIS (http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=77&zenid=1eodikh68uehqovpa0pgu0s212) inside your padded MOLLE belt. Once you load the belt down with pouches and gear, you'll be glad you went with the wider, stiffer belt.

shootist~
10-16-12, 08:52
Thanks. Looks like I get another holster so I can go with a 1.75" inner belt.

run n gun
10-16-12, 15:34
You can't just get new belt loops? what kind of holsters are you using now?

shootist~
10-16-12, 16:02
You can't just get new belt loops? what kind of holsters are you using now?

I have a couple of Ky-Tac 1.5" belt holsters. They won't work with a molle type "war belt" system.

run n gun
10-16-12, 16:07
Oh right I thought you were talking about the outer belt that exposes the inner belt.