PDA

View Full Version : Generation 2 Glock 19 Observations

jmlshooter
11-21-11, 11:01
I ran across one of these yesterday at a gun show and had to buy it for $399. It's probably 85% with finish wear. It appeared to be a little-used police trade in from West Palm Beach PD.

I'm super-thrilled, since I don't see many of these out and about. I have one other Gen 2 gun (a Glock 20).

I noticed two things about the gun that were a little different, one good and one not as good.

The Good: I function-checked the gun, and it seemed fine. When I racked a live round out of the chamber, the cartridge ejected with a LOT more force. It kind of surprised me. My other, newer Glocks don't do this, and I'm curious as to (1) what is so different about the internals to make this happen and (2) why Glock modified this. This has to be, at least in part, one of the reasons reliability has suffered in the newer models.

The Not-As-Good: The trigger is gritty, as if you're fighting through tiny grains of sand as you pull it. I gave the gun a deep cleaning, so before you think "West Palm Beach," I'm pretty sure it's not actual sand. What causes this? Does it need a new assembly?

I'm really looking forward to taking this out for a spin. I've pretty much decided to stick with Gen2 and early Gen3 guns, like a lot of you. Hopefully, Glock will get back to the basics.

duece71
11-21-11, 11:21
Sounds like a good deal. I have seen a lot of Police trades at my LGS, some look ok, some look ridden pretty hard. If it functions well, I'd say you got a good deal.

Magsz
11-21-11, 14:34
Replace your trigger bar and connector.

Replacing the firing pin block is also a good idea as ive seen alot of these on police trade ins that are beat to shit resulting in A LOT of gritty feel as they move up and down in the channel in the slide.

jmlshooter
11-21-11, 17:24
I appreciate the wise counsel.

ST911
11-21-11, 21:19
A non-FG/R G19 in good shape is a great find.

Detail clean, lube, and shoot it. The results of that assessment are the only ones that matter.

bleaman225
11-21-11, 21:23
Replace your trigger bar and connector.

Replacing the firing pin block is also a good idea as ive seen alot of these on police trade ins that are beat to shit resulting in A LOT of gritty feel as they move up and down in the channel in the slide.

As always, Magz has solid advice. I was going to suggest what he already said - firing pin block.

Edited to add: Good find, I'd love to pick up a gen2 19 some day

durus5995
11-21-11, 23:43
The West Palm Beach Gen 2 that I picked up had a real smooth trigger when I first put it on layaway. When I went to pick it up the shop said that they needed to replace some parts before I could take it home. I think they replaced the trigger bar as well as so me of the other stuff that was supposed to be fixed back in the 90s due to some sort of upgrade / recall they had. After I got it back the trigger felt gritty as well. Some dry fire practice has helped a little bit.

BTW what are the police letters stamped on the right side? I am wondering if they are misprinted like mine. Anyways dont know if I really like the Gen 2 and might be listing it here soon.

careboy
11-22-11, 02:10
Ahh! I stand corrected then, Thanks for clearing that up.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/22.gif

jmlshooter
11-22-11, 09:01
Turns out my understanding of "deep cleaning" really isn't that at all.

I got on the internet and learned how to detail strip the gun for the first time, and there was super-fine sand in places I've never been before. There were even fine grains of sand between the connector and the trigger mechanism housing.

Got all of that out of there, and the trigger is good as new.

ST911
11-22-11, 09:16
Turns out my understanding of "deep cleaning" really isn't that at all.

I got on the internet and learned how to detail strip the gun for the first time, and there was super-fine sand in places I've never been before. There were even fine grains of sand between the connector and the trigger mechanism housing.

Got all of that out of there, and the trigger is good as new.

No surprise. When in doubt, always detail clean and inspect it first.

What are the first letters of the serial number?