PDA

View Full Version : Improved battle sight zero

jet80tv
11-21-11, 13:26
Forgive me if this has already been covered, I may have missed it in searching. My question is, does the IBZ(50yd-200yd zero) work equally well zeroing with the small aperture? I know it states to use the large one.

jonconsiglio
11-21-11, 14:42
All I have are small apertures and it works pretty consistent between all my rifles though they vary as much as 7.5" in barrel length.

Doc Safari
11-21-11, 14:58
Since someone broached this subject again, I have a couple of questions. Let's say I zeroed my carbine with an IBZ using the carry handle sights, and now that I'm switching to an optic I need to re-zero for a BUIS. When originally zeroing, I switched to the taller Bushmaster front sight so I didn't have to crank the front sight so far out of the FSB.

Now the questions.

Should I expect the zero with the new sight to be "pretty close" to what it was with the carry handle sight (only requiring fine tuning)? Should I only expect that with a "chopped carry handle" sight or A2 style rear sight like the LMT unit? Will there be different expectations with different rear backup sights? Should I expect to have to switch back to the original shorter front sight?

I ask this as one who is used to zeroing a rifle's non-removable sights one time and then leaving them alone, so I hope my questions are not too "newbie-esque." :D

Failure2Stop
11-21-11, 15:10
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22

OP-
The IBZ is based around the use of the small aperture.
With a 300 meter/yard zero, if one flips up the 0-2 aperture it is supposed to give you a 50/200 zero. The IBZ just cuts through the use of the 0-2 since it is pretty much unusable past 50 meters with any repeatable degree of rapid precision.

Glockster-
You will be fine with swapping BUIS, and should not need to swap front sights unless something is out of spec.
However, fully expect there to be changes in sight settings to achieve zero.

This is now closed as there is an entire stickied thread devoted to the IBZ.