PDA

View Full Version : My Vote's For Sale!

montanadave
11-21-11, 17:08
Let's cut to the chase. To no one's surprise, the election in 2012 is going to be the most expensive in history. While some are estimating candidates and their supporters are going to shell out $6 billion to buy their way into office (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/30/us-usa-campaign-spending-idUSTRE77T3ZX20110830), what with the Citizen's United SCOTUS decision and all, the actual number is probably going to be greater than that.

Only a fool would dispute the fact that our government is for sale to the highest bidder. People are willing to pay big money for votes. But, in reality, most of those votes are going for free, right? There's probably forty percent of the folks on the right that will vote for whatever stiff the GOP props up in front of them and an equal number of folks on the left who will vote to re-elect Obama regardless of what kind of shit leadership he's provided.

So the votes in play are actually that twenty percent of Americans hanging out in the middle who are pretty ambivalent about the whole thing, seeing it as a Hobson's choice between Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. So what are those votes worth?

About 130 million folks voted in the 2008 presidential election. Given Obama's lackluster (feel free to chose a stronger adjective if the spirit moves you) performance, he is unlikely to mobilize his base as strongly as he did four years ago. And, given the current GOP field, it's doubtful they are going to set any records either. And it's going to get ugly, real ugly, and that's probably going to sour more than a few folks on the whole enchilada.

Just for argument's sake, let's say we get 125 million voters to the polls. The twenty percent that's up for grabs translates into around 25 million people. Doing a little math, I divvy up that $6 billion and come up with about $240 a head (someone please check my math, I'm terrible with numbers). Not a king's ransom, to be sure, but it's not chump change either.

So, here's my deal. My vote for president is going to cost somebody a C-note. There's a senate seat up in Montana next year so that's going for $50. Ditto on Montana's one and only House seat. The local state reps can quibble over who's going to pony up the remaining forty bucks. Cash, no checks.

Now some reading this might think, "Jeepers, Dave, you seem to have become a tad skeptical, if not downright cynical, about our democratic process." On the contrary, I'm just trying to work within the system as it currently exists. As Charlie Brown's little sister, Sally, says while composing her Christmas letter to Santa Claus, "All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share."

It is readily obvious that our political leadership in Washington have given up all pretense of attempting to govern, assuming they were ever capable of doing so in the first place. So I have few, if any, qualms about giving up any pretense of being a willing participant in this charade being passed off as a participatory democracy.

And when the first wise ass candidate asks how he/she can be assured that I will actually vote for them after taking their money, I'll just wink and tell 'em, "Guess you'll just have to trust me the same way I've always trusted you to vote to protect my best interests."

hatt
11-21-11, 17:50
Cash, no checks.

This is the only thing I disagree with. Send me gold or silver. Thank you for your business.

In a related story, my neighbor claims a vote in West Virginia use to be worth $2 and a pint of liquor. That was 30+ years ago so I don't know how inflation has effected the going rate.

montanadave
11-21-11, 18:23
This is the only thing I disagree with. Send me gold or silver. Thank you for your business.

In a related story, my neighbor claims a vote in West Virginia use to be worth $2 and a pint of liquor. That was 30+ years ago so I don't know how inflation has effected the going rate.

Excellent point.

I stand corrected.

SteyrAUG
11-21-11, 19:56
I'm in for a 100 round value pack of 9mm or a box of Match Grade .308.

Shame I'm not in Chicago or I could sell my vote up to a dozen times and get a case.

Belmont31R
11-21-11, 20:06
what with the Citizen's United SCOTUS decision and all, the actual number is probably going to be greater than that.

Its only fair that businesses who are subject to Federal laws and regulations should be able to speak out for themselves come election time.

FWIW that case also allows unions to do the same thing, and it will probably be a wash to the hundreds of millions unions already spend donating to communists.

Moose-Knuckle
11-22-11, 03:53
I surmise that I will not be receiving anything as my vote for RP "will be wasted". :secret:

MistWolf
11-22-11, 06:27
Lessee, $240 per vote? Heck, if they give me a good, Plain Jane AR carbine with MOE stocks, I'll vote four times. Maybe even five times and in the same election!

hatt
11-22-11, 07:35
Something we're forgetting is that the real payoffs are in between elections when you get to use the US Treasury to pay off your supporters and friends. $6 billion is a drop in the bucket. Where you think the $15 trillion debt came from. We need to do more research so we don't get shortchanged when we sell our vote.

chadbag
11-23-11, 13:04
The problem with this analysis is that the estimated $6B is not going to the voters. So no one is being paid for their vote.

That $6B is the cost to convey their message to the voter and that money goes to the TV networks, the newspapers, the magazines, the websites, and all the other places that advertising goes on, as well as to paid campaign workers etc. A small amount in the more corrupt parts of the US may go to a homeless person for his vote. But the 20% in the middle that was surmised are "getting" this $6B won't see one red cent, unless they work in the advertising industry or something.

Sorry. Facts get in the way.

montanadave
11-23-11, 14:52
The problem with this analysis is that the estimated $6B is not going to the voters. So no one is being paid for their vote.

That $6B is the cost to convey their message to the voter and that money goes to the TV networks, the newspapers, the magazines, the websites, and all the other places that advertising goes on, as well as to paid campaign workers etc. A small amount in the more corrupt parts of the US may go to a homeless person for his vote. But the 20% in the middle that was surmised are "getting" this $6B won't see one red cent, unless they work in the advertising industry or something.

Sorry. Facts get in the way.

Uh, yeah, thanks for pointing that out.

Sarchasm : The gap that exists between the author attempting to employ sarcastic wit or humor and the reader who fails to get it.

Obviously, we've both failed completely.

chadbag
11-23-11, 15:57
Uh, yeah, thanks for pointing that out.

Sarchasm : The gap that exists between the author attempting to employ sarcastic wit or humor and the reader who fails to get it.

Obviously, we've both failed completely.

That is twice you have tried to play the sarcasm card. I don't think you know what sarcasm is.

Here is a hint:

sar·casm   [sahr-kaz-uhm]

noun
harsh or bitter derision or irony.
a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark:

-

Neither of the times that you have tried to play the sarcasm card, after being shown facts, fits in with the definition of sarcasm.

There was nothing sarcastic in the premise of your .0 post.

montanadave
11-23-11, 17:07
I admitted I failed.

Now if only the humorless tight asses would own up.

chadbag
11-23-11, 17:13
I admitted I failed.

Now if only the humorless tight asses would own up.

In the same way Obama admits it...

Spiffums
11-23-11, 17:43
My vote is for sale and I'll even rent you a spot or 2 in my yard for signs....... for enough money you get space in my sig line on several well known web site.................... but when I get in that booth and pull the lever, well that's between me and GOD. :jester: