PDA

View Full Version : HP and Over Penetration

Shihan
11-28-07, 13:14
Ok guys when it comes to balistics and all that stuff im a white belt. I have a bunch of Federal Power Shok 50gr JHP. How do you guys think this stuff will work in regards to overpenetration? This is a subject I never gave much thought to.

Thanks

rhino
11-28-07, 16:48
With that ammo I would be more concerned about inadequate penetration, especially on a large person (like me). Lightweight hollowpoints (the expanding type, not Open tip match ammo (OTM)) are better used on small critters than big critters.

Failure2Stop
11-28-07, 17:19
With that ammo I would be more concerned about inadequate penetration, especially on a large person (like me). Lightweight hollowpoints (the expanding type, not Open tip match ammo (OTM)) are better used on small critters than big critters.

Agreed.

Small bullets yaw very quickly in tissue, at very high velocities (normally), and readily fragment at those velocities. Usually nothing penetrates more than 4 to 6 inches, depending on velocity, weight, twist, etc.

Gopher whacker fer sure, but not for anything life threatening if I have any other 5.56/.223 ammo choices.

I won't link to them, but I recommend that you read the Ammo Oracle, look up wounding patterns of military rifles by Dr. Marvin Fackler (and any other info you can find from Dr Fackler), and pretty much anything Dr. Gary Roberts wrote. You can also look up the FBI penetration requirements and ballistic testing for information about underpenetration issues.

Shihan
11-28-07, 17:54
Thanks guys I was being cheap as I bought abunch of this stuff super cheap awhile back. I guess I will load up a mag or 2 with TAP. All of my other to go's are loaded with M855. In the Suburb I live in houses are all pretty close together. It was alot easier when I was just handed ammo and told this is what we are going to use.:D

Submariner
11-28-07, 20:42
I have a bunch of Federal Power Shok 50gr JHP.

You have TAP? GTG. Shoot it for training.

toddackerman
11-29-07, 07:19
You have TAP? GTG. Shoot it for training.

75 Gn. TAP or Black Hills Red Box 75 Gn. Math will have less "Over" penetration than just about anything. I agree with the others about the lightweight loads not penetrating enough.

Shihan
12-02-07, 13:24
You have TAP? .

Yep awhile back I started to order a box of it when I made a dist order for a customer and that dist carried it. It has worked well and didnt kick me in the privates as hard as ordering a bunch at once.