PDA

View Full Version : Any thought on protecting a wildlife food supply...?

Wolf Spyder
11-21-11, 22:11
My brothers and I have plans in place in the event of a disaster, natural or other wise. Our rally point is rural enough, but the area is fast becoming over populated with more and more city folks moving out to the country.

This has brought into question the plans we made a few years ago regarding hunting small & medium game as a food source to augment the food stores we have been making all along.

Have any of you thought about what to do to safe guard the local wide life population (read food source) from an influx of city folks and / or transient two legged scavengers?

ra2bach
11-22-11, 01:02
My brothers and I have plans in place in the event of a disaster, natural or other wise. Our rally point is rural enough, but the area is fast becoming over populated with more and more city folks moving out to the country.

This has brought into question the plans we made a few years ago regarding hunting small & medium game as a food source to augment the food stores we have been making all along.

Have any of you thought about what to do to safe guard the local wide life population (read food source) from an influx of city folks and / or transient two legged scavengers?

long pig?..

Moose-Knuckle
11-22-11, 03:26
I think if we were to see a long term break down of society we would see wildlife diminish exponentially. History shows that in densely populated areas anything and everything in sight will be consumed; rodents, fowl, insects. As people spill out from the epicenters in search of sustenance they will be taking anything they come upon by any means necessary, stock animals to wild game.

IMHO the only realistic way to protect one's food source (wildlife & crops) from a mass exodus and migration of refugees is geographic isolation and as you pointed out that is becoming ever difficult to come by as the population continues to explode. If you are more than tank of gas out and or a few days away from the next water source you would fare better than most.

Wolf Spyder
11-22-11, 16:50
Well, I think we might be screwed... We're an hour from the state capital and about 20 to 30 minutes from the county court house. It use to be kinda remote by Ohio's standards, but now there are city dwellers moving out our way. Dam liberals and their teeny-tiny cars.

Well... there might be a bunch of really nice, "suddenly" empty, homes in the event of SHTF / EOSAWKI in my area... :haha:

Moltke
11-22-11, 17:04
With a breakdown on that scale, everyone's screwed no matter where you live. Surviving isn't just going to be protecting what you've got, it's eventually going to be acquiring the things of others.

Ironman8
11-22-11, 17:33
I think if we were to see a long term break down of society we would see wildlife diminish exponentially. History shows that in densely populated areas anything and everything in sight will be consumed; rodents, fowl, insects. As people spill out from the epicenters in search of sustenance they will be taking anything they come upon by any means necessary, stock animals to wild game.

IMHO the only realistic way to protect one's food source (wildlife & crops) from a mass exodus and migration of refugees is geographic isolation and as you pointed out that is becoming ever difficult to come by as the population continues to explode. If you are more than tank of gas out and or a few days away from the next water source you would fare better than most.

There was a thread on a different forum that asked a question similar to this. The point that I brought up there is the same point that I will bring up here...the "wild" food supply such as boar, deer, rabbit, and other game animals will not be affected like you think they will. All of the livestock and domestic animals, sure, but not wild game. My reasoning for this is because the VAST majority of people these days do not know how to hunt, much less kill an animal and clean and cook it in a sanitary manner.

I can go on and on about the "what ifs" of "urban folk" trying to provide for themselves, but just suffice it to say that the majority of people these days are so used to fast food and the "I want it NOW" mentality that they wouldn't even know where to begin if they were left without assistance in one form or another.

Brimstone
11-22-11, 18:02
My reasoning for this is because the VAST majority of people these days do not know how to hunt, much less kill an animal and clean and cook it in a sanitary manner.

100% true. They may end up burning some rat meat over a fire, but that will be the extent of it for most people.

Moose-Knuckle
11-22-11, 19:13
There was a thread on a different forum that asked a question similar to this. The point that I brought up there is the same point that I will bring up here...the "wild" food supply such as boar, deer, rabbit, and other game animals will not be affected like you think they will. All of the livestock and domestic animals, sure, but not wild game. My reasoning for this is because the VAST majority of people these days do not know how to hunt, much less kill an animal and clean and cook it in a sanitary manner.

I can go on and on about the "what ifs" of "urban folk" trying to provide for themselves, but just suffice it to say that the majority of people these days are so used to fast food and the "I want it NOW" mentality that they wouldn't even know where to begin if they were left without assistance in one form or another.

Valid point and I agree, however. . .

In the event of a TEOTWAWKI scenario occurring the people you speak of will parish within the first 72hrs after a collapse and will pose a threat no more.

I grew up in a very rural part of Texas. There are countless little towns and incorporated areas teeming with individuals who know how to rough it, Hank Williams Jr A Country Boy Can Survive comes to mind. Rough necks, plowboys, cowboys, ranchers, etc. all which most likely hunt and fish as a way of life.

If you poll individuals with similar mindsets to that of our own most will say there plan is to "head to the hills", "head to the mountains", "bug out to the deer lease", etc. Most anyone with the means will be heading out of the urban areas as they are strewn into udder anarchy consuming everything in sight along the way. Many rural cabins/hideouts/country homes will become what are known as secondary crime scenes.

Strength in numbers, fortify best you can, and establish patrols.

11-22-11, 19:50
Same rules still apply. Unless you have permission, stay the **** off family land. In the country, this is how it is. Everyone knows everyone and outsiders stick out. In a SHTF situation, protecting all natural resources is a given. No one is free to take game, firewood, crop material, etc. In a bad situation, taking any of the above, to me, constitutes a threat. The size of parcel being manged for food would simply swell. State, county, and federal land could all possibly be encompassed/used. Can I personally protect all this? Of course not. But friends, neighbors, and community would most likely be on board. Many of the hunters in the area understand conservation and management.