PDA

View Full Version : What's the best 9mm suppressor for HD Pistol

Orange-Fox
11-22-11, 04:16
I'm looking for the best 9 HD can, the host will be a G19 with a 33rd OEM mag loaded with hollows and a SF X300, as it will be for HD, no wet cans and will not be used on any other host, I'm leaning towards a AAC Tirant 9, but my buddy and my local Class3 like the YHM Cobra-M2 9 and I don't know if it's just me wanting the sexy can or that there just penny pinchers.

Magic_Salad0892
11-22-11, 05:30
AAC Ti-RANT 9, or 9S.

deadlyfire
11-22-11, 05:39
I don't want to go off topic too badly but what's the driving reason behind putting a can on a HD pistol?

Abraxas
11-22-11, 06:01
I don't want to go off topic too badly but what's the driving reason behind putting a can on a HD pistol?
I will go out on a limb and guess, it is so if he should have to fire it in doors without taking time to don ears, it wont destroy his hearing.

markm
11-22-11, 07:20
I will go out on a limb and guess, it is so if he should have to fire it in doors without taking time to don ears, it wont destroy his hearing.

That's some super ****ed up logic... but I read that all the time.

+1 on the TiRant cans. Don't get a Gemtech. I've shot those on multiple guns and mounts, and they are total crap. TROS mounts, Piston mounts, etc.

You literally don't know where your next bullet is going to go.

Sid Post
11-22-11, 08:48
I'm leaning towards a AAC Tirant 9, but my buddy and my local Class3 like the YHM Cobra-M2 9 and I don't know if it's just me wanting the sexy can or that there just penny pinchers.

The Osprey and Ti-Rant are both in a different league. Have you demo'ed both cans? Also, consider that shooting on an open range and in your house will be much different.

The Cobra might work good enough in an open field but, how does it sound in an indoor range? I would definitely buy your friend a beer/lunch and go shooting at an indoor range before you buy one.

Sid Post
11-22-11, 08:56

Do you want your wife and kids to go deaf EVEN if you put on hearing protection? I keep electronic muffs bedside so I can hear foot steps, breathing, etc. a long ways off. The suppressor is for those I love and don't want to harm for the rest of their lives.

Flash suppression is nice too, though you should already have low flash loads in your HD firearm. With night adapted eyes, even low flash loads cause night blindness. Have you shot your duty loads on a "moonless" night away from urban light pollution? What you think is no flash, and what really is can be two totally different things.

dudshep31
11-22-11, 11:05
I cant speak for YHM as I have never owned one or shot with one. But I can tell you AAC has excellent customer service should you ever need it. I made a bonehead mistake with mine and they took care of me.

Iraqgunz
11-22-11, 14:46
We had mine dialed in pretty good. I would say it is acceptable for home defense ranges. Unless you live on a ranch.

+1 on the TiRant cans. Don't get a Gemtech. I've shot those on multiple guns and mounts, and they are total crap. TROS mounts, Piston mounts, etc.

KalashniKEV
11-22-11, 14:49
The suppressor is for those I love and don't want to harm for the rest of their lives.

I'll be the dumb guy and say that if there is gun play inside of my domicile, the decibel levels present in adjoining rooms are not in my top 5 priorities.

If alerted, your loved ones will be having a stress response that will take the blood away from their skin and into their muscles, and the stirrup, anvil, and hammer of the inner ear will all contract making them less susceptible to damage. As a downside to unsuppressed firearms use, your pupils will also dilate as part of a stress response, making them more susceptible to muzzle flash.

If your personal response plan is to get to and secure someone in another part of your house, i.e. clearing, then I wouldn't want the added length of a suppressor on my pistol. If your plan is to stay put, then I'd rather have a rifle.

I'm not totally down on the idea itself, just the motivation behind it. No crazy talk about prosecutors or any of that nonsense... just being a bit critical of the application.

Unless you plan on routine gun play at home, I personally think this concern is unfounded.

Magic_Salad0892
11-22-11, 17:55
The reason I use a can on an HD pistol is for situational awareness. If there are multiple invaders then I'd prefer to be able to not be temporarily deafened by my shot, and be able to track an invader's moves.

I also would like to reduce my muzzle flash as much as humanly possible. To save my eyesight from ''image burning''. Which would also destroy my situational awareness.

Doing it for hearing protection is retarded, due to stress... I doubt you'd even hear the shot.

My 11'' gun wears a can as well.

Orange-Fox
11-22-11, 18:29
If you guys don't mind, can we get back to the can and it's merits, and no more philosophizing on the proper HD method, please.

Tzoid
11-22-11, 19:38

Why exactly is the Gemtech "total crap" ? I own a few Battlecomp 2.0 's and I was getting ready to order a Gemtech HALO.

Sorry for the thread drift.... anyone have an answer to the Crap statement?

elnino31
11-22-11, 20:00
While I've never heard a cobra m2, it supposedly has good performance when compared to other cans. And you can take it apart to clean it, if that's important to you.

Either can will be hearing safe outside... I don't know about in an enclosed room though. If the price difference is negligable, I would definitely go with the Tirant. I'd also look at the Trident which is around 650-700.

I'd recommend a laser grip or light w/ a laser. You will not be able to use the sights w/ either choice. Since HD is your goal, I wouldn't trust aiming through the can. Plus it's a good reason to justify buying one.

I don't keep my can near or on the nightstand gun. Partially b/c it will not fit in the gunvault safe and I'm too cheap to buy something else. However, I see no problem with doing it. It makes sense.

KalashniKEV
11-23-11, 07:50
You will not be able to use the sights w/ either choice.

I don't know how the outer diameter of the Trident stacks up against other cans, but I have no problem being quite accurate with it.

I shoot with both eyes open though, so it just sort of "ghosts" out for me... kind of the same way you can see around your hand at arm's length.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Pistols/IMG_0502.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Pistols/IMG_0526.jpg

f.2
11-23-11, 09:02
I had an early AAC evolution 9 that I've since sold because it was too loud shooting subsonic through a 226-9. Quickly got an SWR Trident 9 and it's hearing safe through my G17 with Lone Wolf threaded barrel, and SIG 226-9 with SIG factory threaded barrel. A separate LCD is required for each thread pattern - SIG is a LH.

elnino31
11-23-11, 16:43
I don't know how the outer diameter of the Trident stacks up against other cans, but I have no problem being quite accurate with it.

I shoot with both eyes open though, so it just sort of "ghosts" out for me... kind of the same way you can see around your hand at arm's length.

I do the same thing w/ mine, but I don't feel as quick to acquire the target. I view a HD gun as one that I need to be quick with, and very accurate if necessary. So IMHO, a ligt/laser combo would be a good investment for that purpose.

I love the trident! I actually walked into the shop with the intention of purchasing one, but ended up a swr shadow 9 at a damm good price. I just couldn't pass it up. I don't have regrets, but I would still like a trident. However, I think something from Silencerco is next in line :D

Orange-Fox
11-23-11, 18:15
the Osprey is out because it will interfere with the x300 on my G19 and most other Glocks.

dpaqu
11-23-11, 21:56
A can is going to screw your weapon retention ability. Unless you’re a real badass you are going to risk getting your gun taken from you and getting shot with it or if it was rendered inoperable, beaten to death with it. I’m surprised none of the other “high speed” people have brought this up.

FWIW I think the TiRant 9s is your best choice.

Sid Post
11-24-11, 07:07
I'll be the dumb guy and say that if there is gun play inside of my domicile, the decibel levels present in adjoining rooms are not in my top 5 priorities.

If alerted, your loved ones will be having a stress response that will take the blood away from their skin and into their muscles, and the stirrup, anvil, and hammer of the inner ear will all contract making them less susceptible to damage. As a downside to unsuppressed firearms use, your pupils will also dilate as part of a stress response, making them more susceptible to muzzle flash.

If you are in a fight for your life, noise levels are not a high priority for most people. However, preparing for them before hand is a reasonable thing to do. Hence my electronic hearing protection bedside.

Regarding everyone in my house having the same "stress" response and getting the perceived contraction of the inner ear to protect their hearing is not something I feel comfortable with. Have you ever felt the concussion and report from shooting in a house or similar enclosed space (I have)? And, as noted reduced flash response is important in the dark. Further, will anyone in your house stick their head in the "hallway" to see what's happening (looky lou's)?

Situational Awareness and not blowing things off tables and picture frames off walls is one less distraction too. Regarding overall length, tactics are tactics, if you I can walk my house with a rifle or shotgun I can do the same with with pistol and suppressor (or in my case an SBR/can). If I'm in a defensive barricade, I'm dumping the SBR/pistol and using a real rifle with a can or a shotgun depending on where I'm at (rural farm versus apartment).

Sid Post
11-24-11, 07:11
Why exactly is the Gemtech "total crap" ? I own a few Battlecomp 2.0 's and I was getting ready to order a Gemtech HALO.

Every single centerfire GemTech can I have PERSONALLY fired made my ears ring. I have tried multiple GemTech cans on multiple pistols and rifles was glad I wasn't into one with a tax stamp. This was all recent stuff going back through the past 5 years, not some old can with very old and outdated technology.

KalashniKEV
11-24-11, 10:11
If you are in a fight for your life, noise levels are not a high priority for most people. However, preparing for them before hand is a reasonable thing to do. Hence my electronic hearing protection bedside.

I'm not interested in sidetracking the thread, but do you also keep sun tan lotion bedside in case your house burns down?

The concern is unfounded.

Have you ever felt the concussion and report from shooting in a house or similar enclosed space (I have)?

Yup. Without ears even. It's not like a suicide or something.

Every single centerfire GemTech can I have PERSONALLY fired made my ears ring.

OMGosh... ringing in the ears, did you live through it?