PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendation for Ultra-Lightweight Red Dot

blackscot
11-22-11, 06:56
My wife recently started shooting AR. Weapon weight is her biggest challenge. The pound-and-a-half that my TR24 variable scope adds is too much, currently leaving her the only option to shoot with irons.

I'd like her to "experience the joy" of shooting with a red dot. Weight is the primary consideration for choice of product. A close-second consideration is cost. This need not be a battle-durable item: use would be for casual practice and the occasional local action match.

I am familiar with the Aimpoint T1 Micro, but which is way overkill (capabilities and cost) for this application. I also know that there are some even lighter weight designs available, but I am not familiar with the various offerings by Trijicon, C-More, Doctor Optic, etc.

I also don't want junk that will die in a year's time. It just doesn't need features like NV capability, submersible to 80 fathoms, can be runover by a tank, etc.

Any steers for an ultra-lightweight, reasonably dependable and affordable red dot for casual AR shooting would be appreciated -- thanks.

Animal_Mother556
11-22-11, 07:24
I have heard good things about the Vortex SPARC. I think they are around 200 bucks.

I have a Vortex Strikefire on an 870 and it has held up perfectly through a lot of slugs and buckshot.

TehLlama
11-22-11, 08:18
Unless NVG operations are a requirement, the best of the Aimpoint Micro line is actually the H-1 for a few reasons.

That said, if this is a case where buy once cry once isn't going to be relevant, the SPARC is a very good value item, and for me makes perfect sense to use alongside a .22lr conversion trainer.

nimdabew
11-22-11, 09:09
Knee jerk is a T-1. If you really want weight savings, a Trijicon RMR might be a good alternative, but I cannot speak to their durability.

JSantoro
11-22-11, 09:36
H-1 for a few reasons.

You ain't kidding. Seriously, tons of doofuses spend the extra $$$ on the T1 for NVG capability they'll never use, and pretend that they're gonna get called upon to do SDV insertions and need water resistance greater than 15'. It's bad math, worse economy. H1 loses nothing to the T1 on the impact durability front.

That said, yeah, the RMRs are verrrry durable, and have a few variants to choose from. Retails for about $400, plus mount.

Insight MRDS is another good pull, based on sizing and durability, and it comes from an L3 entity that doesn't suck. Has 3.5 and a 7MOA variants, also retails for about $400, plus mount.

Otherwise, yeah, a SPARC or a Strikefire would be a reasonable pull for this application.

Moltke
11-22-11, 09:42
On the bright side, if you get her an Aimpoint Micro, you can always re-purpose it for other uses...

blackscot
11-22-11, 09:49
Thanks for the feedback.

Prices on the SPARC and Strikefire are great, but they are definitely too big and heavy.

The size and weight of the RMR and MRDS are great, but the extra cost for tritium and submersion capability would be a total waste. This application would never be underwater or low-light conditions.

I realize that the options are not limitless and I may just have to pay more for a model with the desired weight, but end up with other features that aren't needed for recreational use.

polymorpheous
11-22-11, 09:56
Primary arms has a few T1 clones.
I can't speak on their quality or durability though.

blackscot
11-22-11, 09:58
Just found this. Price and size look good, as do customer ratings. Can anyone here comment?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-fastfire-w-picatinny-mount-4-moa-dot-mat-fastfire-sight.html

aquajon
11-22-11, 09:59
The last H-1 I bought was $375 used from TOS IIRC. If that's not in your price range, then "battle-durable" is probably not something your going to get. How much abuse is your wife really going to give this thing?

Have you looked at the primary arms clone of the Aimpoint micro? Runs about $100 and is fairly durable for the cost from what I hear. I keep planning to pick one up for the 22's, but always seem to have aimpoints laying around unused instead.

Jaysop
11-22-11, 10:00
well if your interested, on Thursday midway will have t1s for $500.
that's less then a H1. Worst case scenario if you don't like it you can easily get your money back by selling it.

blackscot
11-22-11, 11:29
......."battle-durable" is probably not something your going to get. How much abuse is your wife really going to give this thing?......

Exactly.

This is for casual recreation guys. T1/H1 etc. at ~$400-$500+ is not what I'm after.

seb5
11-22-11, 17:53
Have you considered a Burris Fastfire on a Larue mount. I used one as a back up on a scoped carbine for a few years. If I remember I gave $179.00 for the sight and the mount was around $60.00. It's not a hard use optice but was reliable and useable.

Animal_Mother556
11-22-11, 20:39
Thanks for the feedback.

Prices on the SPARC and Strikefire are great, but they are definitely too big and heavy.

Okay, if the SPARC is too big and heavy (at 5.2 ounces advertised) maybe you should think of other ways to make the rifle lighter for her. I have heard that a USGI magazine loaded with 30 rounds weighs about a pound (I have never tested this). How about taking 20 rounds out? Let her shoot 10 rounds at a time. Or, get some 20 rounds mags? I am just spit-balling here. It seems that you are VERY weight conscious...a 5.2 ounce optic is too big and heavy for you. Light-weight barrels would be another route.

bdiddle
11-22-11, 21:51
I have two Primary Arms red dots, one is a M3 clone, and one is the T1 style clone.

I have owned the M3 clone for about a year, no problems......holds zero, hasn't broken......used a little on a DPMS AP4 but mostly on my 5.56 carbine.

Only about a 1000-1500 rounds through it total, but its worked great so far.

blackscot
11-23-11, 06:41
Have you considered a Burris Fastfire.....

That's the one I have the link to above. Looks pretty good to me.

.....maybe you should think of other ways to make the rifle lighter for her. I have heard that a USGI magazine loaded with 30 rounds weighs about a pound (I have never tested this). How about taking 20 rounds out? Let her shoot 10 rounds at a time. Or, get some 20 rounds mags?........

We've been doing that, although I am getting her accustomed to handling full 30-rnd mags since if she eventually shoots any matches (which she wants to) then she can expect having to start and/or reload with full mags.

We both also like how the longer mag provides a good body-index for the weak-side forearm.

........Light-weight barrels would be another route.

I continue to try to convince her that she needs her own rifle, which could be pencil barreled, have the pretty forest green MOE furniture that she likes (mine is "that ugly" FDE), etc.

I have two Primary Arms red dots, one is a M3 clone, and one is the T1 style clone.....

Their prices are great, although again the M3 and T1 clones are likely too big. I see they also have a Burris Fastfire clone though. I'm beginning to focus in on something of that design.

bdiddle
11-23-11, 07:08
My pa micro clone with budget riser and kill flash weighs about 6 ounces iirc

blackscot
11-23-11, 07:35
That's cool -- the Burris is 0.9. This is for someone who is used to using irons only (and who has arms like a 5th grader :rolleyes: ).

ETA: Looks like Larue is wanting $150 for their QD base for the Burris. One of the pics shows it to give an absolute co-witness. Unless she gets her own gun, I will need QD to be able to switch with my TR24 (on a Bobro cantilever QD mount).

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-mini-red-dot-bases

AETA: Looks like this will co-witness for half the price but is non-QD: http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-ar-f3-ar-tactical-flat-top-fastfire-mount.html

Failure2Stop
11-23-11, 08:22
Have you looked at this little guy:
http://www.tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-rdpii/

blackscot
11-23-11, 08:45
Have you looked at this little guy:
http://www.tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-rdpii/

Looks good -- great price.

bnanaphone
11-23-11, 09:40
That looks just like the Burris Fastfire, I had one on a G35 until I sold it and went with an M&P with RMR.

The one thing to be aware of is that the windage and elevation adjustments have NO clicks. You use the WAG method. Granded, it comes with a neat little wheel you put on when adjusting but it is still trial and error for getting your initial zero. Then, when the battery goes out, you have to rezero/tweak the sight again. This is because you take the sight off the base to replace the battery.

I agree that it has an advantageous-looking price, just want you to be aware of the details.

Good luck.