PDA

View Full Version : Need your help on shipping

Joseywales
11-28-07, 16:15
OK. I am a little confused on shipping shotguns via UPS and I am hoping someone can help me sort this out.

I know the following to be true:

1. When shipping a firearm to a dealer, a person buying the firearms, for repair, or other commerce; you must ship the firearm to a FFL/manufacturer as the recipient and present a signed copy of the FFL to the common carrier (UPS). Handguns can only be shipped by an FFL to an FFL.

When I went to the BATF website, it said that you can ship a firearm to yourself in another state for the purposes of hunting. So, I went to the UPS customer center in Illinois and shipped my shotgun to my parents house in Washington State. Adult signature was required. They received it. No issues.

When I went to ship it back to myself, they said I had to be an FFL liscencee. Which I know to be inaccurate. At most, I would have to ship to an FFL liscencee. However, I looked on BATF web site and they say this:

"(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. [B]A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

Is there anywhere that you know of on UPS web site that says that they must always ship to an FFL?

Is there anywhere that I can get ahold of a copy of a letter from the BATF and UPS that clearly states the policy so that I can show it to the UPS shipping center staff?

xringshooter
11-29-07, 18:02
If you're taking it to a satelite UPS drop off point (Staples, etc.) they don't know the rules. Take it to the main distribution point, they should be better. If not, you can go on to the UPS web site to get the full story. Download it and the portion from the BATFE website and talk to the manager. He/she should get it straightened out for you. I had this happen once and once I showed them the excerpts they were more than happy to have my business.

Joseywales
11-29-07, 19:30
I called the ATF today. They said that I can ship my shotgun to myself through the US post office when shipping to myself across state lines. They did not know UPS corporate policy. They said that I can ship it to myself in care of another as long as they do not open the package and physically take possession. The circular on their web site was not very specific, so I may call and ask for a letter anyway.