PDA

View Full Version : My....friend's new .338 Lapua

Eurodriver
11-22-11, 15:37
http://i40.tinypic.com/rs4co3.jpg

Savage 110 BA

He put money down on a Sako but didn't want to wait, the shop had this in stock and picked it up today.

He bought a box of 20 rounds, 250gr Hornady ($107)

He has absolutely zero reloading capabilities/experience, he has never shot anything more powerful than a .308 (and even then he can hit anything) and he's going to mount a BSA Contender riflescope on it with BSA 1" Weaver rings. The scope in the pic is not included. He thinks he will easily achieve hits out to 1,500 yards.

Now, In order to keep this thread alive, instead of beating him up and telling each other what a fool he is; what is some advice you guys can offer to ensure that he didn't just throw money down the toilet and actually learns and becomes proficient?

...or is it impossible?

Diesel47
11-22-11, 15:50
From the way you have described your friend I would say it's not possible to help him.

dieselgeek
11-22-11, 15:51
Barely

See

Anything

I mean really, what kinda jackass, is going to spend that kind a money on a new rifle, and then his scope cost less than a box of the ****ing ammo.

I'm sure everyone at the Elm Fork will still think it's the coolest thing they ever have seen when he tells them it's the epic .338 lapua.

EDIT

Is that from Rays Hardware? If so, I'm pretty sure he just paid the highest price anyone could charge for a rifle. I bet he got a nice long talk of gunstore BS while he was at it. I mean really they have to be the highest charging gunstore in the US.

Alric
11-22-11, 15:56
I picked up a subscription to SH's online training and downloaded a ballistic app for my iPhone. Keep in mind I have absolutely no baseline for comparison, but the online training lessons I've seen so far seem to be good. Next week I think I'll be picking up a Savage Mark 2 .22LR as a trainer while I learn how to read and deal with wind. Edit: Also, online training videos seem to be right down his alley of throwing money at a problem ;)

Honestly I don't see any practical way to learn precision shooting with a .338 Lapua. Maybe get him on the 100 or 200 meter range and start knocking the fundamentals out one at a time.

After looking at that scope, I don't see how he's going to learn anything at all. I doubt it holds a zero, and you can't get very far without that foundation.

dieselgeek
11-22-11, 16:01
I picked up a subscription to SH's online training and downloaded a ballistic app for my iPhone. Keep in mind I have absolutely no baseline for comparison, but the online training lessons I've seen so far seem to be good. Next week I think I'll be picking up a Savage Mark 2 .22LR as a trainer while I learn how to read and deal with wind. Edit: Also, online training videos seem to be right down his alley of throwing money at a problem ;)

Honestly I don't see any practical way to learn precision shooting with a .338 Lapua. Maybe get him on the 100 or 200 meter range and start knocking the fundamentals out one at a time.

After looking at that scope, I don't see how he's going to learn anything at all. I doubt it holds a zero, and you can't get very far without that foundation.

I think they are. Jacob really knows his stuff. If you ever get the chance go down and train w/ him at Rifles Only.

QuietShootr
11-22-11, 16:03
I'm not sure anything can be done for your friend. His Florida Guido Syndrome is too far advanced.

Moltke
11-22-11, 16:07
Tell him to get a sandbag and more ammo because he's going to need it.

orkan
11-22-11, 16:18
That's not a 338LM...

THIS is a 338LM

http://www.gregd.net/pics/guns/range_report/2011/IMG_5259.JPG

Eurodriver
11-22-11, 16:26
That's not a 338LM...

THIS is a 338LM

You're preaching to the choir orkan ;)

Your baby doesn't mind the noise?

Pork Chop
11-22-11, 16:35
I'm not sure anything can be done for your friend. His Florida Guido Syndrome is too far advanced.

My assessment as well.:(

If he can be convinced to spend the money for real optics and mounting hardware, you may have a chance. That being said, 1500 yard shots are not something you can accomplish with equipment alone.

I have a friend similar to this, he has $10,000 worth of kick ass hardware and brings them over to my place so I can "help" him clean them.:p

orkan
11-22-11, 16:36
You're preaching to the choir orkan ;)

Your baby doesn't mind the noise?

See that 10" baseball bat on the end of my barrel? That helps with noise. Also, she's got cotton in her ears. :) She throws a FIT when I don't let her come shoot with me. Daddy's little girl. ;)

Eurodriver
11-22-11, 16:44
See that 10" baseball bat on the end of my barrel? That helps with noise. Also, she's got cotton in her ears. :) She throws a FIT when I don't let her come shoot with me. Daddy's little girl. ;)

Well I got that, I just assumed that a .338LM even suppressed is still pretty loud.

Moltke
11-22-11, 16:49
Yeah but it's a tactical baby, get 'em started early.

WAIT HOLY CRAP DOES THAT STROLLER HAVE A SUNROOF?

orkan
11-22-11, 17:06
WAIT HOLY CRAP DOES THAT STROLLER HAVE A SUNROOF?

Damn straight. My little girl rides in style!

338 suppressed isn't noticeably louder than my 308.

Belmont31R
11-22-11, 17:09
I think we will just have to learn on his own.

Unless you are rich you cannot afford to NOT reload that caliber.

My guess is the BSA scope will break in under 100 rounds. I saw one shake apart on a M249 after Private DumbAss thought he'd be cool and put that POS on his machine gun. A 338 recoils much harder than an M249.

dieselgeek
11-22-11, 17:57
EuroDriver, is that gun from Rays or not? I see your from Tampa, but that place sure looks similar to Rays.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-22-11, 18:05
Orkan- At least set up the video recorder so she can help you call out hits or misses...

If the shooting buddy doesn't have a flinch, he'll get one now.

I was trying to think of a silver lining- like someone is going to get a real deal on a 338LM soon in the future, but its a Savage, meh.

AH-HA!!!- silverlining/something good----- he could have gone full retard and gotten a fiddy cal. ;)

Eurodriver
11-22-11, 18:27
EuroDriver, is that gun from Rays or not? I see your from Tampa, but that place sure looks similar to Rays.

No, its not Rays. Its a shop in St. Petersburg.

TehLlama
11-22-11, 21:09
The scope part of it may end up being self-solving, but I agree. If he has fun shooting it, great. Try not to be a complete killjoy if he has terrible results shooting it.

Maybe have him get some of the PPU .338. Probably not tack driving stuff, but that probably doesn't freaking matter at 50yds.

All told, this is still helping the economy of scale for when I do buy a LM.

markm
11-23-11, 07:22
Those BSAs track well. He'll be rocking the 15 hundo with no effort!

Where can you even shoot that far in FL? I thought you guys were land locked and stuck engaging in short range match homodom if you wanted to shoot.

Eurodriver
11-23-11, 08:06

Where can you even shoot that far in FL? I thought you guys were land locked and stuck engaging in short range match homodom if you wanted to shoot.

The everglades bro, and there are some people with private land in Central FL.

We have a 1,000 yard range nearby which is plenty for me. But with old boy now rocking the .338 he'll have to do some networking to get his 1-mile shots in.

markm
11-23-11, 08:11
The everglades bro, and there are some people with private land in Central FL.

We have snakes and scorpions.... You have Gators. :p

skatz11
11-23-11, 08:21
The scope is going to be a problem. I've seen bsa scope that wouldn't hold a zero on a savage 223. There are so many good options for durable mid range scopes right now that your friend doesn't have to spend big money to get reliable performance. Bushnell Elite and SWFA SS series would be my top choices.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
11-23-11, 08:30
The scope is going to be a problem. I've seen bsa scope that wouldn't hold a zero on a savage 223. There are so many good options for durable mid range scopes right now that your friend doesn't have to spend big money to get reliable performance. Bushnell Elite and SWFA SS series would be my top choices.

I recommended him a Supersniper 10x40. But he wants a scope with a magnification of 50 or more.

I tried to sell him the Vortex 6-24x50 FFP I had on my Remington 700 (For a freaking steal: With Seekins precision rings for only $500) and he said it wasn't enough scope for what he wanted to be doing. But he's gonna rock a 3-9x BSA on a .338LM. I hope he doesn't get laughed at while at the range. :mad:

dieselgeek
11-23-11, 08:54

Do they even have the elevation required to reach 1500 yards? 9 power is going to be a stretch and he wont be able to spot his own shots. What's funny is ive never seen a bsa at a match. I think bushnell will be about the lowest thinf you'll come across

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

QuietShootr
11-23-11, 08:56
I recommended him a Supersniper 10x40. But he wants a scope with a magnification of 50 or more.

I tried to sell him the Vortex 6-24x50 FFP I had on my Remington 700 (For a freaking steal: With Seekins precision rings for only $500) and he said it wasn't enough scope for what he wanted to be doing. But he's gonna rock a 3-9x BSA on a .338LM. I hope he doesn't get laughed at while at the range. :mad:

He's getting laughed at HERE, why do you think the range will be any better?

skatz11
11-23-11, 09:13

You did everything you can as a concerned friend. Now he has to learn the hard way. Looking forward to the range report....

bnanaphone
11-23-11, 09:32
The most unfortunate part is that your friend does not even know what he doesn't know. You have tried to offer sound advice, a quality scope and good information. He has completely ignored that and now is contradicting himself by "wanting a scope with no less than 50x" and then deciding to get a 3-9.

I know you are asking for some ways to help him but he is not even willing to listen. This one is a lost cause. Some video of his first shot with the rifle would be great too!

I say good luck to you and enjoy the ride.

devilsdeeds
11-23-11, 09:33

I'll take the Vortex for $500 :) Just take video of him shooting, maybe you'll catch the BSA falling apart on film and it will be good entertainment for all of us. Good luck teaching him...

dieselgeek
11-23-11, 09:38
Is it a pst?

Eurodriver
11-23-11, 11:40
To be fair, he did not buy the 3-9x, he just had it lieing around.

Due to the holiday and his dumbass not having a CCW he has to wait until Tuesday to pick the rifle up. I'll try to get a pic of his $19.95 scope on his $2000 .338LM.

To keep the thread on course, what would be a good scope if I could convince him that they don't make 50x optics :suicide2: Something that will handle the recoil and rings that won't let the scope slip are priorities #1. I don't need elevation adjustment out to 1000 yards because we will have to start with baby steps at 100.

Is it a pst?

Yes, I already sold the rifle and optic however. (For alot more than $500 ;))

QuietShootr
11-23-11, 11:45
You seriously missed your calling. Somewhere in the world, a Severe and Profound Mental Disability classroom is missing its teacher. Nobody else would have the patience for a moron like this.

MCS
11-23-11, 11:51
What shop is that??

It looks a lot like Bill Jacksons in Pinellas.

Eurodriver
11-23-11, 11:51
You seriously missed your calling. Somewhere in the world, a Severe and Profound Mental Disability classroom is missing its teacher. Nobody else would have the patience for a moron like this.

Its easier to go with it man.

I went with it when he bought a Taurus Judge, I went with it when he bought a S&W 500, I went with it when he bought a 2" Ruger Alaskan .454, and I sat in the gun store and after a few minutes of serious "Think about it man, do you really wanna buy this? You are in way over your head. This requires serious training and practice to master." talk, he decided to buy it anyway. Just like everything else.

"You don't need a judge, its a shitty handgun AND a shitty shotgun."

"Why not get something a little cheaper to shoot than a S&W 500?"

"Get a longer barrel on the .454, the noise and blast alone is enough to burst your eardrum if...for some reason...you're ever in Alaska in a bear attack....???"

He won't buy an AR15 because "Everyone has one". I tried to get him to spend an extra hundred bucks and get the SCAR 16 instead of the .338LM but "The 5.56 round is too small. Its weak".

....holy shit. You know what I *Just* realized? He's gotta be compensating for something...

ALCOAR
11-23-11, 14:30
Your friend isn't mentally handicapped imho...but rather your typical firearm owner in this country. I'm sure the guy worked hard for his money, and if he wants to inflate his masculinity, or feel like a HSLD sniper type w/ a .338lm...more power to him. As long as he isn't hurting anybody but his wallet, it's his right to learn things the hard way and potentially even have fun by doing so.

I'd love to be friends w/ that cat, I'd be shooting a .338lm right now rather than typing on the silly ass internet:)

tbs
11-24-11, 09:22
I think we will just have to learn on his own.

Unless you are rich you cannot afford to NOT reload that caliber.

My guess is the BSA scope will break in under 100 rounds. I saw one shake apart on a M249 after Private DumbAss thought he'd be cool and put that POS on his machine gun. A 338 recoils much harder than an M249.

I predict the scope will fail within the first 10 rounds!!!:sarcastic:

TehLlama
11-24-11, 10:05
For the sake of illustration, can you find a distance where it's a mile away and at least show him the futility of trying to use the 9x optic he has?

Eurodriver
11-24-11, 10:16
For the sake of illustration, can you find a distance where it's a mile away and at least show him the futility of trying to use the 9x optic he has?

Hah! We were driving home from the gun store and where I live the streets are all perpendicular to each other. Very straight and flat. The odometer turned to like 282.6 as we went through an intersection and I told him "This is how far your rifle can shoot....from here...."

A few minutes later..."to here".

We had went almost 20 blocks and you couldn't even see the other intersection anymore.

QuietShootr
11-24-11, 10:49
Hah! We were driving home from the gun store and where I live the streets are all perpendicular to each other. Very straight and flat. The odometer turned to like 282.6 as we went through an intersection and I told him "This is how far your rifle can shoot....from here...."

A few minutes later..."to here".

We had went almost 20 blocks and you couldn't even see the other intersection anymore.

We now take you to the inside of Eurodriver's car:

"That's how far your rifle can shoot."

"Boom, mother****! Suck on that bitch! Bro, that's ****in' ballin'!"

Apricotshot
11-24-11, 11:05
What shop is that??

It looks a lot like Bill Jacksons in Pinellas.

Pretty sure its Cracker Boys in St. Pete.

dieselgeek
11-24-11, 13:05
A mile out in the open does not look so bad. I look at a big building from my window. Its 1776 yards away.

anthony1
11-26-11, 01:58
Well tell him he does actually have options for good 50x scopes. Sightron Slll 10-50x60, March 10-60x52 BR, Schmidt Bender 10-50x56, Nightforce makes some 42x scopes as well.

You might want to tell him since he lives in about the hottest and humid part of the united states that mirage is gonna be a real bitch with a 50x scope in the swamp or wherever he plans on shooting that thing. I have issues with mirage sometimes in Ohio with a 24x, l cant imagine a Florida swamp with a 50x scope.

Since he doesnt reload see if yo can keep his brass, seems like he would be the type to just throw it away. Does he realise how quick 5$ a shot adds up? Its also nearly impossible to find public shooting at 1mile but l guess its a bit late for that .

a0cake
11-27-11, 14:48
Tell him to get this:

http://www.valdada.com/product/b6c36d63-8340-4206-9fba-8c7cba2090e1.aspx

The scope is called "The Terminator."

It weighs 3 pounds.

Ironman8
11-27-11, 15:12
Tell him to get this:

http://www.valdada.com/product/b6c36d63-8340-4206-9fba-8c7cba2090e1.aspx

The scope is called "The Terminator."

It weighs 3 pounds.

And then go take him hunting...make him hump it around :sarcastic:

MistWolf
11-27-11, 18:31
Well tell him he does actually have options for good 50x scopes. Sightron Slll 10-50x60, March 10-60x52 BR, Schmidt Bender 10-50x56, Nightforce makes some 42x scopes as well.

You might want to tell him since he lives in about the hottest and humid part of the united states that mirage is gonna be a real bitch with a 50x scope in the swamp or wherever he plans on shooting that thing. I have issues with mirage sometimes in Ohio with a 24x, l cant imagine a Florida swamp with a 50x scope.

Since he doesnt reload see if yo can keep his brass, seems like he would be the type to just throw it away. Does he realise how quick 5$ a shot adds up? Its also nearly impossible to find public shooting at 1mile but l guess its a bit late for that .

Scope reliability, ammo cost and lack of shooting space is of no concern. A real, dedicated he-man shooter of the 338 Lapua will not let these small details deter him. The Truly Dedicated will buy two boxes of premium ammo and take The Rifle to the range and fire 5 shots to sight it in, then take it home and clean it. Then he will lovingly place it in his safe where it will remain protected from the ravages of time and to be only removed to lovingly remove any specks of dust that might have collected on it's finish in the last six months and reflect on memories yet to be, as man and rifle wait for the sun and moon and stars come into alignment to create that perfect moment, although it may take years, to Take It Shooting

BCmJUnKie
11-27-11, 18:55
^^^^ :lol::lol::lol:

Usually when someone owns a rifle like that...

The guy has a FREAKIN CCW!!

After I read how he bought a stupid ass S&W 500....that says it all.

As soon as I find out someone owns that dumb ass gun, the conversation turns.

Suwannee Tim
11-27-11, 19:42
He's had it for five days now, has he shot it yet? If I had something like that it'd be burning a hole in my gun safe. Of course the longest range I have ready access to is 200 yards. .338 Lapua bullet is probably still speeding up at 200 yards.

Owning a rifle doesnt make you a rifleman any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician. And owning a really exotic rifle, all the more so. -Suwannee Tim

orkan
11-27-11, 19:51
The way I look at it... it's a self solving problem.

1) He will shoot it a bit, and realize the recoil and muzzle blast isn't for him... as a result of a hardcore flinch that he'll develop causing him to not be able to hit anything. Then he'll sell it, or park it in the safe. Good for him, he learned something.

2) He'll shoot it, and love it... and be drilling clay pigeons to 1000yds. In which case, good for him... he's marky mark reborn.

3) He'll not be able to hit anything, and will still go shoot it at milk jugs at 100yds to impress his friends with his "sniper rifle." Good for him.

He paid for it. It's his to do with as he pleases.

Eurodriver
11-27-11, 19:58
He's had it for five days now, has he shot it yet? If I had something like that it'd be burning a hole in my gun safe. Of course the longest range I have ready access to is 200 yards. .338 Lapua bullet is probably still speeding up at 200 yards.

No. He has no CCW and with the holiday cannot pick it up until Tuesday.

I told him to call BS, as Florida now has a law making local firearms ordnances null and void. My county has a 3 day wait for long guns...or rather had. As of October 1st its no longer in effect, but the store still enforced the policy.

He was too chicken shit to bring it up. He bought it Tuesday, and they only counted Wednesday, Friday, and Monday. So he can pick it up a full week after buying it.

He doesn't want a CCW because people get shot by their own guns more often than they use it to defend attackers. :rolleyes: (Really, what can I say?) It doesn't help when I try to make a point that we hang out with an LEO who doesn't carry his off duty piece either (who also does not have a CCW) because he doesn't want to be faced with a situation where he may be forced to use lethal force and be reprimanded for it. True story.

To be clear, they are both ardent supporters of the 2nd Amendment, and even the LEO has no problem with people CCWing and thinks you shouldn't need a license to do so....its just that neither one of them have any interest in doing it.

scottryan
11-27-11, 21:00
No. He has no CCW and with the holiday cannot pick it up until Tuesday.

I told him to call BS, as Florida now has a law making local firearms ordnances null and void. My county has a 3 day wait for long guns...or rather had. As of October 1st its no longer in effect, but the store still enforced the policy.

He was too chicken shit to bring it up. He bought it Tuesday, and they only counted Wednesday, Friday, and Monday. So he can pick it up a full week after buying it.

He doesn't want a CCW because people get shot by their own guns more often than they use it to defend attackers. :rolleyes: (Really, what can I say?) It doesn't help when I try to make a point that we hang out with an LEO who doesn't carry his off duty piece either (who also does not have a CCW) because he doesn't want to be faced with a situation where he may be forced to use lethal force and be reprimanded for it. True story.

To be clear, they are both ardent supporters of the 2nd Amendment, and even the LEO has no problem with people CCWing and thinks you shouldn't need a license to do so....its just that neither one of them have any interest in doing it.

Wow! Amazing.

elnino31
11-27-11, 21:52
We now take you to the inside of Eurodriver's car:

"That's how far your rifle can shoot."

"Boom, mother****! Suck on that bitch! Bro, that's ****in' ballin'!"

It's not that often that I read these threads and bust up laughing.
But that one got me... hilarious!

Seriously, though I can empathize with this situation because I have a friend that does the same shit w/ golf clubs.

TehLlama
11-28-11, 01:00
Seriously, though I can empathize with this situation because I have a friend that does the same shit w/ golf clubs.

Yeah, but who goes out and buys $5 a piece golf balls and goes shanking them into the ocean?

@Euro - maybe now is the perfect time to build yourself a rimfire trainer - make it similar, and you'll probably have the chance to generously let him fire 50 rounds through yours in exchange for 5 through his. He'll get better at shooting, and you're getting to shoot an LM.

bubba04
11-28-11, 09:12
That's not a 338LM...

THIS is a 338LM

this is glorious.

scottryan
11-28-11, 09:30
When I talk guns and I discover the other person owns a springfield xd, taurus judge, desert eagle, pistol ar-15, etc. the conversation ends right there.

Pork Chop
11-28-11, 10:00
When I talk guns and I discover the other person owns a springfield xd, taurus judge, desert eagle, pistol ar-15, etc. the conversation ends right there.

I like the way you think.

The Taurus Judge is a marketing marvel on par with the sham-wow or the slap-chop.:p

Grizzly16
11-28-11, 10:05
How are you friends with this guy? Seems like you would be too busy b**** slapping him when he shares his opinion to get to know him.

Belmont31R
11-28-11, 10:24
I like the way you think.

The Taurus Judge is a marketing marvel on par with the sham-wow or the slap-chop.:p

You're gonna love my nuts!

Moltke
11-28-11, 10:46
Explain to someone why their Taurus Judge is neither a good revolver nor a good shotgun, that it's made by a junker company in Brazil, and that their best bet would be to load a .45 LC for defense - and they'll probably tell you that you don't know jack about guns. However, tell them they should think about getting a high gloss nickel plating on their hand cannon, and they'll probably tell you that you're a genius!

Pork Chop
11-28-11, 10:59
Explain to someone why their Taurus Judge is neither a good revolver nor a good shotgun, that it's made by a junker company in Brazil, and that their best bet would be to load a .45 LC for defense - and they'll probably tell you that you don't know jack about guns. However, tell them they should think about getting a high gloss nickel plating on their hand cannon, and they'll probably tell you that you're a genius!

Those of you that don't have a Cabelas nearby can't truly appreciate the marketing power (read stupidity) that is put behind the Judge. At any given time I can stroll through my local Cabelas and hear some moron behind the counter telling some unknowing husband/wife duo that the Judge is the ultimate in home defense.

Never mind that it costs as much as a Glock/M&P or more than a Mossburg 500, both of which would be better for the purpose and easier for her to use.

Amazing.

MistWolf
11-28-11, 14:42
It's usually the same guy that will tell you a .410 shotgun is the worse choice for self defense

scottryan
11-28-11, 15:10
Those of you that don't have a Cabelas nearby can't truly appreciate the marketing power (read stupidity) that is put behind the Judge. At any given time I can stroll through my local Cabelas and hear some moron behind the counter telling some unknowing husband/wife duo that the Judge is the ultimate in home defense.

Never mind that it costs as much as a Glock/M&P or more than a Mossburg 500, both of which would be better for the purpose and easier for her to use.

Amazing.

Yes! I have two Scheels and one Cabelas withing 50 miles from me and I have seen this many times.

scottryan
11-28-11, 15:12
Robert Silvers has also posted a number of times that Savage threaded rifles do not have concentricity between the bore and threads. AAC doesn't want to warranty their silencers on savage rifles.

Eurodriver
11-28-11, 16:21
Gents, we are picking it up tomorrow. I'll get detailed pics (with the BSA mounted hopefully) and a more detailed layout of exactly what his plans are with this rifle.

On the bright side, I've convinced him to buy an AR. He doesn't want a 5.56 because its "too common", but he is going to grab an AAC .300 BLK upper and a BCM lower from Grant at G&R. I'm not sure why since he has no plans on suppressing or SBRing it...but hey its not a Bushmaster.

Pork Chop
11-28-11, 16:25
Gents, we are picking it up tomorrow. I'll get detailed pics (with the BSA mounted hopefully) and a more detailed layout of exactly what his plans are with this rifle.

On the bright side, I've convinced him to buy an AR. He doesn't want a 5.56 because its "too common", but he is going to grab an AAC .300 BLK upper and a BCM lower from Grant at G&R. I'm not sure why since he has no plans on suppressing or SBRing it...but hey its not a Bushmaster.

Baby steps...............baby steps.

Don't give up on him.:D

Suwannee Tim
11-28-11, 16:54
I've been down this road myself. My first revolver was a mighty Ruger Super Blackhawk which hurled a massive 240 grain boulder at damn near 1500 feet per second. It could knock down redwood trees. It could knock a locomotive right off the tracks. It could sink a destroyer. It could bring down a B-52. I think I must have gotten an erection when I first fondled it. 'Course I had a pretty good excuse. I was 16 years old.

......what is some advice you guys can offer to ensure that he didn't just throw money down the toilet and actually learns and becomes proficient?.....

I doubt you can't tell him anything, no one could tell me anything. The gun taught me and the gun will teach him.

BCmJUnKie
11-28-11, 17:06
Baby steps...............baby steps.

Don't give up on him.:D

Its frustrating havin a friend like that. They dont wanna listen to shit and they think they know EVERYTHING.

I have a friend now, he bought a DD middy about 2 months ago.

Has about 150 rounds through it. Shoots around 20 to 50 rounds per range trip. Wow.

He wants a T-1 cause thats what is in the "Torture test" video and all other Aimpoints suck...just watch the video!

He bought the VLTOR stock today. The MOE and CTR suck.

In a couple weeks hes putting an AFG on it.

No sling. AFG comes FIRST!

How else are you gonna shoot from helicopters and do your dive roll tactics or shoot a thousand miles! Lol

Guys like that gotta learn on thier own, No matter what you say, its wrong.

THEY know.

He KNOWS because that what all the gun stores tell him and the internet

Ironman8
11-28-11, 17:20
Its frustrating havin a friend like that. They dont wanna listen to shit and they think they know EVERYTHING.

I have a friend now, he bought a DD middy about 2 months ago.

Has about 150 rounds through it. Shoots around 20 to 50 rounds per range trip. Wow.

He wants a T-1 cause thats what is in the "Torture test" video and all other Aimpoints suck...just watch the video!

He bought the VLTOR stock today. The MOE and CTR suck.

In a couple weeks hes putting an AFG on it.

No sling. AFG comes FIRST!

How else are you gonna shoot from helicopters and do your dive roll tactics or shoot a thousand miles! Lol

Guys like that gotta learn on thier own, No matter what you say, its wrong.

THEY know.

He KNOWS because that what all the gun stores tell him and the internet

I'll point out the silver lining on this one...at least he's buying quality parts...

BCmJUnKie
11-28-11, 17:43
I'll point out the silver lining on this one...at least he's buying quality parts...

Thats true.... I showed him the video.

His original idea was an RRA complete. The UTE tactical whatever it is.

There was mention of something else. DPMS maybe. I cant remember.

charmcitycop
11-28-11, 17:54
It doesn't help when I try to make a point that we hang out with an LEO who doesn't carry his off duty piece either (who also does not have a CCW) because he doesn't want to be faced with a situation where he may be forced to use lethal force and be reprimanded for it. True story.

I work with guys like that - I don't blame them though.

Then he will lovingly place it in his safe where it will remain protected from the ravages of time and to be only removed to lovingly remove any specks of dust that might have collected on it's finish in the last six months and reflect on memories yet to be, as man and rifle wait for the sun and moon and stars come into alignment to create that perfect moment, although it may take years, to Take It Shooting

Sounds like my old partner from patrol - great guy, good taste in firearms, but **** me running he never goes shooting.
Go over his house for a few beers and its "check out the new pistol I got"
"When are we gonna hit the range bunk?"
"Man, I can't go shooting, I don't have any ammo"
"Ya know, if you stopped buying handguns (he has 30 the last time I checked) you could buy enough ammo to hold fort apache"
"Yep, but then I wouldn't have a safe full of sweet guns"
Priorities. :)

Suwannee Tim
11-28-11, 19:18
....... as man and rifle wait for the sun and moon and stars come into alignment to create that perfect moment, although it may take years, to Take It Shooting

I see them most every week. When they start arriving, the time depends on the weather, 12:30, 1:30, whenever, then I know it is time to leave. That's why I love the drizzly days. I love it best when the weather is so raw it keeps away even the serious shooters. You ever spent 5 hours on the range and realize as you are leaving that you spent 3 hours talking? If the day is raw enough that will not happen.

MistWolf
11-29-11, 08:01
The serious gun enthusiast goes to the range to hone all firearms skills, of which shooting the shit is one of the most important

Eurodriver
11-29-11, 16:11
He brought it home today.

http://i39.tinypic.com/68ub2x.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic, optic is a weaver of some sort and he is using a Burris AR15 scope mount.

The optic actually isn't as bad as I previously thought. It sure as hell isn't a quality optic and won't have the elevation to get to even 1000 (Maybe it will, the rifle came with a 20 or 30 moa base built in) but it should resist the recoil. The mount on the otherhand, I would not be surprised to see it completely fall off after 5 rounds.

We may take it out Friday, but my upper won't get here till Friday night so we may wait till next week. We refuse going to the range on weekends because of the crowds and Fudd shooters.

Pork Chop
11-29-11, 16:21
He brought it home today.

http://i39.tinypic.com/68ub2x.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic, optic is a weaver of some sort and he is using a Burris AR15 scope mount.

The optic actually isn't as bad as I previously thought. It sure as hell isn't a quality optic and won't have the elevation to get to even 1000 (Maybe it will, the rifle came with a 20 or 30 moa base built in) but it should resist the recoil. The mount on the otherhand, I would not be surprised to see it completely fall off after 5 rounds.

We may take it out Friday, but my upper won't get here till Friday night so we may wait till next week. We refuse going to the range on weekends because of the crowds and Fudd shooters.

Why?

No way that will hold up to the recoil.

BCmJUnKie
11-29-11, 16:30
WOW. :blink:

QuietShootr
11-29-11, 17:27
I can only conclude that, similar to a dog who likes to eat turds, there must be something that so many of y'all find amusing about hanging out with retards that I cannot perceive or understand.

Pork Chop
11-29-11, 17:31
I can only conclude that, similar to a dog who likes to eat turds, there must be something that so many of y'all find amusing about hanging out with retards that I cannot perceive or understand.

Ha Ha! That's funny shit..........and I couldn't agree more.:)

BCmJUnKie
11-29-11, 17:38

**** that. Lol

I dont by any means "Hang out" with the jackasses I mention.

I recieve texts with stupid questions
Its almost daily.

Two people I know have had NDs

One of which actually shot himself in the hand.

No way in hell would I go to the range with someone who has NDs

Suwannee Tim
11-29-11, 18:06
.....No way that will hold up to the recoil.

I shot one prone several times and the recoil was quite mild. Ought to be mild, the damned thing weighs about 25 pounds.

Naturally the dipshit has his booger hook on the bang switch. Does he know we are talking about him? I'll bet not. I'll bet he would be pissed.

DeltaSierra
11-29-11, 18:38
Naturally the dipshit has his booger hook on the bang switch.

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one that noticed that....

Ironman8
11-29-11, 20:26
I don't think that's his buddy...looks like a woman's hand...not that any of that makes it better...

Grizzly16
11-29-11, 21:57
I don't think that's his buddy...looks like a woman's hand...not that any of that makes it better...

I think that had belongs to a technically male individual.

Ironman8
11-29-11, 22:11
Yeah you might be right...just looked a little dainty to me

Seems he's a lefty too...no wonder he's screwed up! :p

Pork Chop
11-29-11, 22:13
Yeah you might be right...just looked a little dainty to me

Seems he's a lefty too...no wonder he's screwed up! :p

Maybe he's compensating for something? just sayin.:D

Eurodriver
12-07-11, 12:15
....this guy seriously just asked me if a flash hider was classified as an NFA weapon.

After telling him "No", he said "I think you're wrong, it says under every flash hider that 'This is classified as a flash hider by the BATFE'. Why would they do that if it wasn't illegal?"

After explaining to him that I have a flash hider on every weapon I own and that those warnings are for residents of places like California and that I own NFA items...he still doesn't believe me so he wants to get a compensator to be safe. :suicide2:

militarymoron
12-07-11, 19:35
eurodriver, if your friend doesn't listen to you, don't waste your breath on him. wish him well, and let him do what he wants.
it's time to stop beating this dead horse.