PDA

View Full Version : Builds - Do The Receivers NEED To Match?

NeoGeo630
11-22-11, 18:29
I'm in the process of doing a 14.5" upper build. I've already attained a BCM 14.5" mid-length upper with a Daniel Defense Omega X 9.0 rail system and BattleComp 1.5 permanently pinned. I'm currently looking for a BCM lower assembly to buy either new or used in very good condition.

I've always felt the need to use the same manufacturer upper and lower receivers on my builds. To me, it just makes the rifle more "complete" and I've always assumed that fit between the two would be much nicer coming from the same manufacturer. But I know from experience that is not always the case as I have seen numerous builds where the upper/lower has some play between the two, not to the point where it will affect function.

Is that how everyone else feels too? Should it really matter if the upper and lower match as far as manufacturer? Does it make the rifle less desirable if it did not? I'd love to know everyone's opinion on this.

Jaysop
11-22-11, 18:34
They do not need to be the same. Sometimes its nice if they are but not necessary.

NeoGeo630
11-22-11, 18:41
They do not need to be the same. Sometimes its nice if they are but not necessary.

I should clarify. Technically, I know they do not need to match. But what are the pro's and con's of either matching or not matching the upper and lower receivers?

Jaysop
11-22-11, 18:46
I should clarify. Technically, I know they do not need to match. But what are the pro's and con's of either matching or not matching the upper and lower receivers?

Well if you were to get a match set from the manufacture, they put together a set for the sake of fit and finish. Either of which add little/no functional quality to the rifle.

As long as you have high quality parts you should be fine in what ever direction you go.

It may make it easier to sell down the road need be, but its not easy to sell a frankenbuild regardless.

Inuvik
11-22-11, 18:48
Is it important to YOU?

I could personally care less. Functionally, it does not matter as long as everything is reasonably in spec.

NeoGeo630
11-22-11, 18:49
It may make it easier to sell down the road need be, but its not easy to sell a frankenbuild regardless.

That's one of the points I hoping would come up. Are matching receiver rifles more desirable than non-matching.

NeoGeo630
11-22-11, 18:56
Is it important to YOU?

I could personally care less. Functionally, it does not matter as long as everything is reasonably in spec.

For me personally, I think it is nice to have manufacturer matching receivers just for the aesthetic value of it. Plus I have a medium case of OCD so if it did not match, I'd probably dwell on it. :fie:

Jaysop
11-22-11, 18:58
That's one of the points I hoping would come up. Are matching receiver rifles more desirable than non-matching.

To me at least, a factory assembled rifle is more desirable. Nothing against you or anyone else, but Id trust a pro over a garage gunsmith...
FWIW I do my own work in my garage as well.
Point being that if you have any intention to sell later on just buy one complete.
Its hard to sell anything you custom built for yourself.

If I was to buy something someone built... yea truthfully id probably be more interested in something with matching a upper/lower.
But im just OCD about simple things.

MrSmitty
11-23-11, 08:10
No. With a half decent lower you will be good to go. Pick your favorite logo.

I don't really care much about fit and finish but FWIW my BCM upper mated perfectly with a Stag lower and a Noveske lower.

markm
11-23-11, 08:14
Is that how everyone else feels too?

No. I don't think I own any ARs of pure pedigree. Had one Colt, but I sold it to get cash.

d90king
11-23-11, 08:23
Simple answer is NO!

Only matched rifle I have is a 6920 the rest are mix matched uppers and lower but all of them are high quality.

LMT MRP / Colt lower
LMT MRP 6.8 / Colt lower
Noveske / LMT lower
LaRue Stealth / Colt lower

The exception is two LMT factory 10.5 SBR's

JSantoro
11-23-11, 08:43
No, the receivers don't NEED to match. They NEED to be dimensionally sound and fit so that they WORK.

Some folks WANT them to match, and the ones that are willing to acknowledge that it's a desire and not a requirement are generaly okay.

There are folks out there that will insist it absolutely matters..... These guys are certifiably deranged and more prone to dangerous emotional outbursts than trannies just starting to get their hormone shots. Back away from them slowly and keep your eyes on what their hands are doing while you move.

M_Rapp
11-23-11, 14:19
Are there really many bad lower receivers out there? I thought it was more about the quality of the lower parts kit and the upper, barrel, and BCG?

Spiffums
11-23-11, 16:55
My preference is a Bushmaster lower with a good LPK. A Lower is a Lower is a Lower unless your just looking for a certain look.

northern1
11-23-11, 16:55
"More prone to dangerous outbursts than trannies strating to get their hormone shots" ........ Lmfao !!

But yea, its an OCD thing. Especially seeing how half these companies are getting their lowers from the same few sources just with their roll mark. At the end of the day a lower is a roll mark for the most part as long as its in spec

P.S. I have that ocd too. Like'em to match if I can help it.

drck1000
11-23-11, 18:53
I'd also like/prefer it if the upper and lowers were from the same manufacturer, but I don't think it's required/necessary.

I don't currently build my own, but if/when I start, I'll probably start mixing/matching based on what I already have. I've priced out complete lowers vs lower builds and they come out to about $150-200 difference. For me, the question is whether or not the $150-200 is worth it to have the lower put together by an experienced pro.

mpom
11-23-11, 18:53
Who cares if they match, as long as both receivers are made and finished correctly. They will mate fine. Color usually matches fine also.
If you run an unusual upper receiver, such as Vltor MUR, does that mean you have to break your balls, and bank account, to find a Vltor lower?
Don't think so.

Mark

Eurodriver
11-23-11, 20:39
No. I don't think I own any ARs of pure pedigree. Had one Colt, but I sold it to get cash.

Cash for an LWRCi? :sarcastic: