PDA

View Full Version : Centurion 16" Recon upper build

johnson
11-22-11, 19:18
I've been slowly piecing it together over the summer and this was the second time out with it. The first time I only shot 15 rounds because I couldn't get it zeroed and I'm thinking it was because of a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. I sold it and have an ADM Recon now.

Rainier Arms Ultramatch Billet Receiver (got it for $100 so why not)
Centurion Arms 16" RECON Barrel
Smith Enterprises Vortex
LMT FA BCG
Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x
American Defense Recon w/ 1" Rings
Factory LMT Defender lower
Vltor A5 w/ IMOD

The lower is SBR'd for my 12.5" upper.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/johnson_n/IMG_2154.jpg

Weather was in the 40's with overcast skies. Since hunting season is about done I figured there wasn't going to be that many people but I was wrong. Every time they shot their rifles the booth shook. These guys next to me had an AR with a brake and was popping off rounds every 3-4 seconds at 25 yards. Their groups were pretty bad and I overhead one of them saying that's why he's preselected for sniper school...

How the stalls look like. Everything is connected. (found the pic from google)
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm111/larsenville/IMG00002.jpg

The trip was mostly for sighting in the scope. PMC Bronze grouped excellent at 25 and 50 but opened up a bit at 100. I switched to Hornady Steel Match 55gr and didn't do any better. I was about to start cleaning up because of the constant shooting of the guys next to me but they stopped so I threw in 10 rounds of Fiocchi 77gr SMK and went at it. First shot was way high. I figured that I was mentally out of it and didn't want to waste any more ammo/money but lit off a second and third shot. Finished up the mag and packed up.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/johnson_n/1.jpg

The potential is there and I will update the thread the next time I head out. Not sure when that is because I'm saving money for getting into reloading and every box of match ammo I buy ($17-$20 a box) takes away from the reloading fund. I'm sticking with the factory LMT single stage trigger because I haven't seen aftermarket triggers improve my shooting any. I've had the SD-3G and SD-E and have used the SSA before.

bp7178
11-22-11, 20:35
That looks almost just like the conservation range I go to in Missouri. It's more or less a 10' deep concrete bathtub out to 100 yards. Everytime I go its a day where the wind is gusting up to 30mph, and there is NO way to read wind there.

Try out some of the 55gr Hornady VMAX if you come across it. Not a bad price and very accurate at 100 yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/roguedemon/Best55grVMAX.jpg

I'm rifle is dead on with 75gr T2, but the 55gr VMAX requires 2-3 clicks on the windage to bring it to center at 100 yards. I clicked the wrong way hence why the group is so far from the center.

I don't know which shot of the 5-shot group went wide, but I find that I'm stringing shots horizontally. I have a few 5-shot groups that look like the above, always one to the right. At first I was thinking this was an ammunition thing, but always to the right.

Working my way slowly to 10 shot groups. It's hard to develop a good cadence of fire at that range. I always feel like i'm being rushed.

I always end up double plugging my ears at public ranges. Both to tune out conversation and gunshots.

johnson
11-22-11, 21:03
That looks almost just like the conservation range I go to in Missouri. It's more or less a 10' deep concrete bathtub out to 100 yards. Everytime I go its a day where the wind is gusting up to 30mph, and there is NO way to read wind there.

Try out some of the 55gr Hornady VMAX if you come across it. Not a bad price and very accurate at 100 yards.

I'm rifle is dead on with 75gr T2, but the 55gr VMAX requires 2-3 clicks on the windage to bring it to center at 100 yards. I clicked the wrong way hence why the group is so far from the center.

I don't know which shot of the 5-shot group went wide, but I find that I'm stringing shots horizontally. I have a few 5-shot groups that look like the above, always one to the right. At first I was thinking this was an ammunition thing, but always to the right.

Working my way slowly to 10 shot groups. It's hard to develop a good cadence of fire at that range. I always feel like i'm being rushed.

I always end up double plugging my ears at public ranges. Both to tune out conversation and gunshots.

Are you shooting the same barrel? I've looked into the 55 gr V-Max but don't want to spend that much. Every time I see a box of match ammo I think to myself that hand loading component cost would be under $400 per case so. My LGS has the Z-Max ammo (same thing with green tip) and maybe I'll grab a box for fun.

I go to Parma Woods MDoC range in Parkville, MO. I wear plugs for rifle shooting because it gets in the way of my cheek weld (air leak) but had just go to the range so I had my Sordins on. It's not so much the noise that bothers me but the vibration of the wood benches. I'll drive out to the Lake City range sometime this winter since the benches are concrete. You're right about the rush feeling. Cease fire every 15 minutes and it usually takes at least 5 minutes to check for actions open and people walking to and from the 100 yard line.

bp7178
11-22-11, 21:44
I was thinking it was a Missouri range. I go to the one at I-44 and Antire, near St. Louis.

The 55gr Hornady VMAX wasn't too bad. I think a box of 50 from the LGS was about $30. Kind of typical for that grade of ammunition. It looks exactly like the .223 TAP, nickel case and all. I suspect the powder may be different, but who knows.

I also wanted to try some of the Black Hills 50gr VMAX. My venture into accuracy really makes me want to get into hand loading.

I've read a few reviews of the Fio 77gr Exacta, and I want to try some of it out. It seems to be a little on the slow side, but thats probably why it groups so well at 100 yards.

My groups with the 5.56mm TAP T2 are a little larger, but very impressive for 5.56 pressure ammunition at (relatively) short distance.

My rifle is a Noveske 16" 1-8 twist 3-land and groove rifled barrel with an intermediate length (11.5") gas system. When I bench shoot for groups I have a Larue/Harris bi-pod I attach, and I use a bag for the rear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/roguedemon/IMG_0678.jpg

I wish they would let you lay prone. I hate bench shooting. I hear what you're saying about the wood. I think if they were concrete and a little wider you could load the bi-pod more.