PDA

View Full Version : AR gas hole location in regards to rifling

dpaqu
11-23-11, 15:29
Is there any kind of military spec for AR gas hole location in regards to rifling? I see people talking a about gas hole size and location on a frequent basis around here but no one seems to mention if it is drilled in a rifling groove.

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-87315.html

FWIW I’ve read on AK forums that it is important. There is a guy out there that was cutting barrel stubs in half with a wire EDM machine and the gas hole was consistently in the groove on ’74 barrels both krink length and the normal 16” length.

rsilvers
11-23-11, 15:32
Satern made me some barrels with the gas hole in the groove - so if it is important to you, you can have them make your barrel. But no, the military does not ask for it.

MarkG
11-23-11, 16:34
Krieger has been putting gas ports in the groove for years....

Suwannee Tim
11-23-11, 20:03
My gas hole is in the groove. My wife's gas hole is in the groove. I think everybody I know, their gas hole is in the groove. I haven't asked specifically but that's my best guess.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

dpaqu
11-24-11, 07:51
Interesting the Russians do it but we don't. Maybe the bullet sheer thing is not the reason. Russian bullets ate steel jacketed while ours are copper. Maybe it's port errosion. AK probably have a longer military life exspectancy.

rsilvers
11-24-11, 09:41
You can also use a special tool to chamfer the inside of the hole. I had that done to the 300 BLK AK.

CumbiaDude
11-24-11, 15:54
Yeah, this is rather surprising and hard to believe for me. With all the emphasis placed on the location in the AK, why doesn't the military think it matters for the AR? :confused:

bp7178
11-24-11, 19:22
Interesting the Russians do it but we don't. Maybe the bullet sheer thing is not the reason. Russian bullets ate steel jacketed while ours are copper. Maybe it's port errosion. AK probably have a longer military life exspectancy.

I think the life of the AK and its realibility is one of the internet fabled things like the super awesome Mk 262 rounds and anything with "zombie" in front of it.

I had more jam clearing practice when shooting AKs than any other gun by a long shot.

markm
11-25-11, 07:50
Yeah, this is rather surprising and hard to believe for me. With all the emphasis placed on the location in the AK, why doesn't the military think it matters for the AR? :confused:

And which gun is more accurate? :cool:

CumbiaDude
11-25-11, 15:51
And which gun is more accurate? :cool:Not specifying the location of the gas port to the rifling makes a rifle more accurate?

Tweak
11-25-11, 16:09
apparently.

Iraqgunz
11-25-11, 18:37
Mk 262 is good ammo, if you do your part. But, alas there is no wonder bullet.

As for the AK. It all depends on who made yours. Most all domestically produced AK's cannot be compared to the real deal AK's for a variety of reasons. Number one being the mods to the FCG.

I think the life of the AK and its realibility is one of the internet fabled things like the super awesome Mk 262 rounds and anything with "zombie" in front of it.

I had more jam clearing practice when shooting AKs than any other gun by a long shot.

P2000
11-25-11, 19:06
Wouldn't it be a pain in the butt to align the gas hole in the barrel of the AR? The barrel extension is threaded on. This sets the timing of the rifling at the gas hole location. I guess you would need to have many barrel extensions to get one that is perfect, and even then you would probably be sacrificing perfect headspacing for having your hole in the groove.

markm
11-26-11, 10:49
Not specifying the location of the gas port to the rifling makes a rifle more accurate?

Of course not. It's just absurd that the AK would be gas port position sensitive considering it's a marginally accurate weapon anyway.

And the lack of port location placement certainly hasn't hurt the accuracy of the USGI rifle.

Tweak
11-26-11, 11:52
Wouldn't it be a pain in the butt to align the gas hole in the barrel of the AR?

No more so than in a match M14 barrel.

CumbiaDude
11-26-11, 16:16
Of course not.Then why bring it up?
It's just absurd that the AK would be gas port position sensitive considering it's a marginally accurate weapon anyway.The AK-74 was redesigned specifically because gas port location and shape caused accuracy to fall below Soviet requirements.
And the lack of port location placement certainly hasn't hurt the accuracy of the USGI rifle.We know this. This thread was asking if there is a specification for it, and if not, what makes the AR different.

Magic_Salad0892
11-26-11, 18:33
You can also use a special tool to chamfer the inside of the hole. I had that done to the 300 BLK AK.

Why would one need to chamfer the inside of the port?

Tweak
11-26-11, 18:57
dull bits and incorrect feeds/speeds will raise a burr on the edge of the hole. It's an area that is hard to access with convention deburring methods. Otherwise, removing material that will erode away eventually seems, strange.

Currently, wracking my brain to come up with a test to determine if gas port location affects accuracy.

markm
11-26-11, 19:58
Then why bring it up?

I didn't bring it up. I had no idea that the AK's port was position specific until I read it here. :rolleyes:

apexcncshop
11-29-11, 20:38
Read an interesting article once discussing location of gas port versus land/groove, lots of tests and pics, just can't remember where I saw it :(. Anyway, conclusion was, it didn't seem to matter, aside from the holes that were 1/2 in the land and 1/2 in the groove seemed to exhibit less erosion after extended use. :confused:

Tweak
11-29-11, 21:38
Was it Feamster's article in Precision Shooting in the mid-90s?