PDA

View Full Version : Odd Vertical Grouping

hedp
11-23-11, 16:00
First a little background. My department ordered quite a few S&W MP15X rifles. When we got them some of them just would not sight in correctly. We checked the ammo and rifles and determined that some of the rifles chambers were too tight.

After much back and forth we found out that S&W had purchased Thompson/Center and were in the process of moving Thompson/Center's machinery over to the S&W factory (or so we were told). In order to boost production and fill orders S&W farmed out the barrels and purchased a bunch from Mossberg. The batch of rifles we had came with some Mossberg barrels and some Thompson/Center barrels. I believe the Thompson/Center barrels have a "-X" on the barrel while the Mossberg barrels have a "xX" or something similar. So the barrels that were having problems with are the Mossberg barrels.

So S&W sent us all new Thompson/Center uppers. We went to the range today and changed out the uppers and all of them shot fine, except mine. Mine made ok groups at 100 yards but they seemed to string up and down vertically from about 5" to 10" apart. I'm an ok shot but then two of the range masters shot (both of whom are excellent shots) and they had the same problem. Nice groups but strung vertically up and down, no flyers to the right or left. So the windage was fine but the groups were moving up and down vertically. (I should note that it seemed that a few of the new upper's front sight tip was not in a locked position out of the box but rather right in the middle. That was fixed before shooting.)

I put on another new Thompson/Center barrel and the problem was solved.

Anyone ever heard of this problem?

Suwannee Tim
11-23-11, 19:58
.....Anyone ever heard of this problem?

Yeah, lots of times. Something is loose more than likely. Sights, mounts, barrel, look for something that moves a few thousanths.

Colt guy
11-23-11, 20:49
Yeah, lots of times. Something is loose more than likely. Sights, mounts, barrel, look for something that moves a few thousanths.

Yep thats it

hedp
11-24-11, 07:32
They checked it and everything seemed tight.

GTifosi
11-24-11, 10:00
Including removing the gas tube and checking the barrel nut with a torque wrench?

I knew a lot of girls over the years that seemed tight too, untill you got in close and actually examined them.

hedp
11-24-11, 13:01
Including removing the gas tube and checking the barrel nut with a torque wrench?

I knew a lot of girls over the years that seemed tight too, untill you got in close and actually examined them.

Hahaha.

They did not do that. lol

Surf
11-24-11, 13:10
Do you have any qualified armorers or gunsmiths that can examine the rifle? An improperly installed and under torqued barrel can have accuracy issues. While vertical stringing only is not out of the question, generally with a loose barrel you will be all over with windage and elevation. I would also want to examine the chamber and do some measurements.

hedp
11-24-11, 20:05
Do you have any qualified armorers or gunsmiths that can examine the rifle? An improperly installed and under torqued barrel can have accuracy issues. While vertical stringing only is not out of the question, generally with a loose barrel you will be all over with windage and elevation. I would also want to examine the chamber and do some measurements.

Yeah, the range has the rifle now, so hopefully they will examine it. I'm not sure if they have qualified armorers but I would be surprised if they didn't.