PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 300BLK uppers from DS Arms

Tokarev
11-23-11, 18:14
http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver-300AAC––-DSZM4CBU300SS/productinfo/DSZM4CBU300/

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver-300AAC––-DSZM4CBU300SS/productinfo/DSZM4CBU300SS/

SomeOtherGuy
11-23-11, 19:04
Very interesting. Is the first one just plain chrome-moly (4140)? And the second one looks the same except the barrel is stainless? A lot of DSA's 5.56 barrels are nitride treated, but they usually say so expressly.

Their descriptions are lacking, but I assume these have carbine-length gas systems?

drrufo
11-24-11, 05:34
Ok we now have low priced uppers from DSA and Model 1. They compete with the high priced uppers from AAC and NOveske.
Are the expensive uppers really that much better than the cheaper uppers. I would assume the bare uppers are from the same vendors for both. Is the barrel the main reason for the price difference or is there some exotic magic done in the assembly?
I can't justify a 1000.00$ upper but I dont know I want a 370.00$ one either, some thing in the middle woud make me happy.
I might spend my money on the CMMG site, if they build a good upper.

Eurodriver
11-24-11, 06:03
I'm with drrufo.

I'm not interested in an $1,100 AAC upper just to plink with, but theres no way in hell I'm buying a $335 DSA upper either.

I wish BCM or DD was offering a reasonably priced middle of the road model.

snappy
11-24-11, 09:19
I wish BCM or DD was offering a reasonably priced middle of the road model.

Or just the barrels...

rsilvers
11-24-11, 10:08
The DSA carbon barrels are phosphated, not chrome lined, and not nitrided. No bolt carrier is included, but you can use your 5.56mm carrier. They have 1/8 twist and carbine length gas systems.

The low-cost UMC ammo is being loaded first week of December. That is two weeks.

cabbynate
11-24-11, 10:27
LMT needs to hurry up with their MRP barrel!!!:(

drrufo
11-24-11, 12:22
I would buy from AAC or Noveske, but I have no need for the hand guard that the AAC uppers comes with. It is a good hand guard, I have my own Vltor and a spare Magpul that I prefer. Is there anyway to buy an upper without the KAC handguard.
I am concerned that the cheaper uppers have a BCG that isn't assembled with as much care as the higher priced spread. Yes I can refit any bad parts and stake the screws, but when I buy a car I shouldn't have to tighten all the nuts and bolts lest they fall off.

I know this sounds a little whiney, I am waiting to buy a 300 blk and I like to buy good parts without having to build it myself. Iv'e done that with seven other uppers and I just don't want to do that with this one.

SomeOtherGuy
11-24-11, 19:39
I would like some more intermediate upper options, basically high quality/ basic features setups. I contacted BCM, DD and PSA about two months ago asking about their plans; at that time BCM and DD had no plans at all, and PSA indicated no immediate plans, but a future maybe.

If someone offered a high quality barrel, preferably nitride treated (like the AAC barrel) in a setup with either GI style handguards or a simpler/lighter FF tube, like a Troy TRX Extreme, at a reasonable price somewhere in the $500-600 range (minus BCG) I would probably snap one up. The $1080 AAC upper is probably great but I don't much want the KAC forearm it comes with - not because I doubt the quality, just because I don't personally have a use for it. Given the need for a carbine length (or shorter) gas system, I think this caliber is just begging for a "dissipator" style upper.

For plinking I expect the DSA would serve just fine. I've been running a DSA 5.56 upper for two years or so without problems (using a BCM BCG). I gauged it with Ned's 5.56 chamber gauge and it reads as a genuine 5.56 chamber. I also own several DSA FALs and I find their quality varies, but in general they are capable of doing quality work. On the AR side some of their parts leave a lot to be desired (like their 6061 aluminum "mil-spec size" buffer tubes). I doubt that they would have screwed up the assembly of an untreated barrel onto a basic M4 style upper though. I know nothing about their 300BLK barrels, but some or all of their 5.56 barrels are made by Thompson/Center, and their FAL barrels seem to be fine if not necessarily all that special.

rsilvers
11-24-11, 19:54
PSA said late in 2011:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/207739_.html

rsilvers
11-24-11, 19:56
There are many more companies working on 300 BLK rifles and uppers. So surely in 2012 you can find what you want, if you are ok waiting a bit.

There is a Sig 516 piston gun also:

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2011/11/18/sig-516-chambered-for-300-blackout/

Tokarev
11-29-11, 18:26
A little more info on the new 300BLK uppers from DSA:

The barrel used in our 300 AAC uppers is of the highest quality yet for a DSArms upper. The threads are very precise and concentric to the bore. We understood going into this that is very important in a 300 upper. Also do not forget we have a limited lifetime warranty.

Thanks

BradL45
12-15-11, 17:48
I haven't bought from DSA before, but I have 2 friends that need to build up AR's in 5.56. They both are in Budget mode, but I have them convinced to at least buy one of the barrel that has the Nitride finish.

For 300 BLK, this DSA upper with a BCG and Charging handle will come in just over $400, a user can pick his price point between $400 and $1000, it nice to be able to buy so many products now in 300BLK, I'm sure DSA will sell all they can make.

I like FF rails, I just buy barrels and build to suit.