PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new weapon light mounts from Haley Strategic...

jaxman7
11-23-11, 20:16
...especially for those who need a light further out using a shorter rail/handguard (e.g. a standard carbine length AR rail or AK rail).

http://haleystrategic.com/store.php

-Jax

Cagemonkey
11-23-11, 21:06
Looks nice. Thanks for the heads up.

jaxman7
11-23-11, 21:20
You're welcome. Have a good turkey day. I'm not a fan of shorter rails but I could really see the perks of this (especially with the modern foreward support arm techniques) in a carbine length rail or SBR setup.

-Jax

EChryst
11-23-11, 21:24
I'm interested in this. I'm thinking about preordering it but hate to be "that guy"

rushca01
11-23-11, 21:26
I had this exact same idea for a mount for awhile, glad to see that someone actually did it. it makes perfect sense, at least for me.

jaxman7
11-23-11, 21:49
I'm interested in this. I'm thinking about preordering it but hate to be "that guy"

EChryst,

NO SIR- please be THAT GUY! For all our sakes. ;)...and report back what you've found!

-Jax

CoryCop25
11-23-11, 21:56
I like the concept. I have a scout light on a couple of my rifles. One of them, has to be mounted rear of the front sight which makes the light cast a huge shadow of the barrel when illuminated. The HSP mount very well may fix this issue.

BBJones13
11-23-11, 21:59
Thorntail seems perfect for AK's with ultimaks.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-23-11, 22:54
Hi!

Partnering with Impact Weapons Components, Travis Haley, Founder & CEO of Haley Strategic Partners, developed two new HSP Light Mounts; DROPWING and THORNTAIL.

THORNTAIL & DROPWING mount the lights in such a manner as to leave room for your hands in an ergonomically correct position on the rifle and any lasers or other devices mounted to the carbine, mid or rifle length hand guard. The mounts can be mounted in 8 different positions on the forend or rail system, positioning, or cantilevering, the light forward, in front of lasers or other gear while leaving plenty of room to keep even a vampire head out of the way of a laser.

Each are designed to mount Lights to carbine, mid or rifle length 1913 Mil-Spec Quad Rails, or round forends, like the Troy ALPHA, TRX/VTAC Extreme, Daniel Defense MOD12, Samson Evolution, and other round forends with holes / slots.

Available at: http://www.haleystrategic.com/store.php

Watch Travis Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHw0YfEGrjw

Thanks,

MOUNT-N-SLOT

PS. PATENTS PENDING

misanthropist
11-23-11, 23:39
I am definitely going to look at the thorntail for a VZ.

SWATcop556
11-24-11, 02:14
Looks interesting. Might have to give one a shot.

11-24-11, 07:12
Very nice collaboration!

Brennan
11-24-11, 07:49
Looks like I might have to pre-order one of these for my VTAC rail... I've been looking all over and haven't really been satisfied with what's on the market right now.

Edit: The dropwing adaptive light mount. The second one down, it looks like it's for a "VTAC 14" or is that meant to be "L4"?

Shane1
11-24-11, 07:54
I'm liking the thorntail for sure. Gives you a little more room on a sbr to push your hand forward.

EChryst
11-24-11, 09:31
Well I preordered my Dropwing for my M600 Scout.

I'll let you all know!

TehLlama
11-24-11, 09:59
My only complaints with either the S&S or GearSector Scout mounts seems pretty effectively addressed with these - I think I've found my mount for when I move to SR07 light activation.

Skang
11-24-11, 15:40
Thank you for the heads up!

Iraqgunz
11-24-11, 15:47
Is there a mount available for the Surefire M952V?

Zzzake
11-24-11, 16:18

I was just looking at the website for a M952V mount too (didn't see it). Really hope they make one. The stock QD is way too bulky.

EChryst
11-24-11, 16:27
Already pre-ordered the Dropwing for my M600. I seriously was looking for a better light mount for my scout yesterday with a plan to continue this morning, and then I found this. Haley posted about it on Facebook and I fell asleep figuring I'd give it a shot. We'll see when it ships in December.

JohnnyC
11-24-11, 17:59
Been wondering when something like this was coming. I like my Gear Sector mount but it does have issues with my KAC URX and my ir laser.

EzGoingKev
11-24-11, 18:19
I just pre-ordered on after seeing this on Gear Sector.

The funny thing is just yesterday I was looking at my 6920 with the LaRue rail and was not liking how I have to push the light so far forward I have the tail cap in the rear part of the mount. It would be a pain in the ass to change the battery on the fly.

I see this and it was like a sign from merciful Allah himself. Hamdallah.

David Thomas
11-24-11, 19:19
The light mounts are nice. However, I want that gunroom.

ForTehNguyen
11-24-11, 19:48
somewhat interested in one for my Fenix TK10

jonconsiglio
11-24-11, 20:23

If not, you it appears you can still use the same adapter that you'd use for it to fit the Danger Close or similar mount.

Skang
11-24-11, 22:48
Ill wait till Surefire X300 mount. :D

Iraqgunz
11-24-11, 23:38
Which mount was that?

If not, you it appears you can still use the same adapter that you'd use for it to fit the Danger Close or similar mount.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-25-11, 00:14
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/IWCLogo-1.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/IWCLogo-3.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/IWCLogo-5.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/IWCLogo-6.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/IWCLogo-2.jpg

THORNTAIL by Haley Strategic Partners and Impact Weapons Components

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-25-11, 01:00
IWC comes through in a big way!

Michael
11-25-11, 12:04
MOUNT-N-SLOT, the Thorntail pics look great. Do you have any of the Dropwing? Thanks!

militarymoron
11-25-11, 12:26
can we see pics of it mounted on the right side? is it in exactly the same position?

jonconsiglio
11-25-11, 12:55
Which mount was that?

http://soldiersystems.net/2011/07/28/620v-millennium-adapter/

SW-Shooter
11-25-11, 13:28
It's becoming just like Apple products, you buy one product and a new variation is released 6 months later.

Now I have to off load my regular IWC mounts for the newest, bestest iteration. Will it ever end? Ugh!

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-25-11, 15:40
It's becoming just like Apple products, you buy one product and a new variation is released 6 months later.

Now I have to off load my regular IWC mounts for the newest, bestest iteration. Will it ever end? Ugh!

IWC's recognized how frustrating it is to purchase an item, only to have a new version come out, obsoleting the previous one. Like Magpul's MOE Grip (MOE+) MBUS (MBUS2), MS2 (MS3).

Untlike other companies concerned with financial results, we introduced the SUMMIT program.

Create your Summit Account, for free, and we'll give you 50% of your original purchase price of the item which replaces or improves yur current IWC components. You can apply that 50% in credit to the new item.... all for free.
IWC introduced this program because IWC SUPPORTS our customers...

Unlike those other guys just concerned with launching me-too products and excessive profit for Wall St. investors.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-25-11, 15:42
MOUNT-N-SLOT, the Thorntail pics look great. Do you have any of the Dropwing? Thanks!

We will have them here and on IWC by Monday...

MOUNT-N-SLOT

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-25-11, 15:45
can we see pics of it mounted on the right side? is it in exactly the same position?

Yep, pics on the right by tomorrow at the latest...

FYI: THORNTAIL & DROPWING are completely AMBI, and place the light in EXACTKY the same position as the left side mounted location in the pics of our MRP.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-25-11, 15:47

IWC will have a M620 compatible version of THORNTAIL & DROPWING by Late December / Early January, eliminating the need for another spacer, like Danger Close offers.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

CLHC
11-25-11, 19:49
Ill wait till Surefire X300 mount. :D
Now that would be something to see, were or if it's to be at the twelve o'clock FSB mount.

Eurodriver
11-25-11, 20:45
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/IWCLogo-3.jpg

THORNTAIL by Haley Strategic Partners and Impact Weapons Components

Is that an M300A? The lens is tinted, mine isn't.

This is perfect for my new rifle. I am 100% sold on using the clickie tail cap on the Surefire Scout series in that position, but my new rail is 7" with the FSP. This will be perfect.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-25-11, 21:06
Is that an M300A? The lens is tinted, mine isn't.

This is perfect for my new rifle. I am 100% sold on using the clickie tail cap on the Surefire Scout series in that position, but my new rail is 7" with the FSP. This will be perfect.

Yes... stock M300A. The lighting and angle makes the lens looks tinted.

Eurodriver
11-26-11, 07:13
Yes... stock M300A. The lighting and angle makes the lens looks tinted.

Got it.

Its amazing how excited I get over IWC's products. People are releasing new red dots, grips, optics, etc but what always seems to be the most looked forward to items are those that make the weapon more ergonomic. With a 7" rail you were pretty much screwed when it comes to a decent light setup (especially when you compared it to how good an 11" rail felt)

This isn't me blowing hot air either, I'm serious.

YVK
11-26-11, 10:36
These are going to do very well with SCAR owners. I am getting one for my 17S.

Eurodriver
11-26-11, 14:46
These are going to do very well with SCAR owners. I am getting one for my 17S.

You had better hold off a minute.

The front of your SCAR 17 has a sling attachment point that may get in the way of the light mount.

Im sitting here with mine and it doesn't look like it will work unless the light is further out from the weapon or more in line with the rail.

jmart
11-26-11, 14:49

The front of your SCAR 17 has a sling attachment point that may get in the way of the light mount.

Im sitting here with mine and it doesn't look like it will work unless the light is further out from the weapon or more in line with the rail.

Can you explain further why you're thinking this way? Is this a SCAR issue only, or would your concern also apply to ARs?

kdcgrohl
11-26-11, 15:14
Earl, will the DropWing work on the right side? Asking for all the URX II/III users out there.

Eurodriver
11-26-11, 16:22
Can you explain further why you're thinking this way? Is this a SCAR issue only, or would your concern also apply to ARs?

Only SCARs.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/FN-SCAR/DSC09466.JPG

In this pic you can see the SCAR Sling mount above the rail. Using the light mount from the pics in page 2 it looks as if the mount would contact this sling point and cause a problem.

militarymoron
11-26-11, 16:48
i cut the sling loop off on my SCAR - i never used it and it got in the way.

WillBrink
11-26-11, 17:29
...especially for those who need a light further out using a shorter rail/handguard (e.g. a standard carbine length AR rail or AK rail).

http://haleystrategic.com/store.php

-Jax

Funny. I thought of exactly that the other day when looking to as to where I could attach a light as to not get in the way of my grip on my new Colt, and wondered if anyone made such a thing. Cool.

Moose-Knuckle
11-26-11, 17:39
MOUNT-N-SLOT,

Have you guys tried attaching the Dropwing onto a MOE HG?

SW-Shooter
11-26-11, 19:31
IWC's recognized how frustrating it is to purchase an item, only to have a new version come out, obsoleting the previous one. Like Magpul's MOE Grip (MOE+) MBUS (MBUS2), MS2 (MS3).

Untlike other companies concerned with financial results, we introduced the SUMMIT program.

Create your Summit Account, for free, and we'll give you 50% of your original purchase price of the item which replaces or improves yur current IWC components. You can apply that 50% in credit to the new item.... all for free.
IWC introduced this program because IWC SUPPORTS our customers...

Unlike those other guys just concerned with launching me-too products and excessive profit for Wall St. investors.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

That's quite a deal you guys offer, I've decided that the original IWC mounts I have are quite adequate (adequate is being conservative), they are downright great and I will add the new mounts on my next build. Nice program, way ahead of the competition in that regards.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-26-11, 19:54
Earl, will the DropWing work on the right side? Asking for all the URX II/III users out there.

Hi!

Here's the DROPWING in unanodized billet from Travis' video on his Knights URX III, which he removed the M300A Head for clarity and he confirmed, "the Dropwing fits just perfect where the front sight can still be activated."

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/IIIDROPWING.jpg

MOUNT-N-SLOT

YVK
11-26-11, 22:19

You're right, I forgot about the attachment loop. A conventional way won't work.
Mount-n-Slot says they are ambi; question then is if it'll work mounted on a top rail in left-sided configuration, placing the light at 11 for a right handed shooter, and whether this would have any advantage vs. mounting on a top rail via any other mount. Usual problem here is blocking the access to the front sight.
As MM said, many have taken down that attachment loop; two problems with it are decrease in potential resale value should one decide to sell the SCAR, and inability to use some extension rail options.

militarymoron
11-26-11, 22:51
As MM said, many have taken down that attachment loop; two problems with it are decrease in potential resale value should one decide to sell the SCAR, and inability to use some extension rail options.
which rail extension or options would be affected by cutting off a sling loop from the front plate? i cut the loop off - the plate is still there.
the plate is a relatively cheap item - $45, so if you ever wanted to replace it for resale value, it doesn't cost much more than a regular rail mounted sling loop.

YVK
11-26-11, 22:58
which rail extension or options would be affected by cutting off a sling loop from the front plate?

Their own (FNH) quad rail extension uses those loops as attachment points. On a road right now, can email a photo when I get back, for academic interest, if you'd like.

militarymoron
11-27-11, 12:51
Their own (FNH) quad rail extension uses those loops as attachment points. On a road right now, can email a photo when I get back, for academic interest, if you'd like.

yes, i'd like to see that, thanks.

JimT
11-27-11, 23:19
Just placed my order for the Thorntail M600/300 mount. I'm hoping that this is what I have been looking for!

TACAV
11-28-11, 12:01
MOUNT-N-SLOT,

I know Travis showed one with a Troy VTAC rail but will the dropwing mount also work with the larger holes in the TRX Extreme rail version? Im guessing probably yes if it works with the URX circle slots but just wanted to be sure.

ra2bach
11-28-11, 14:49
looks like a neat option for those that need something like this but I find it absolutely puzzling that a simple piece of bar stock, no matter how intricately machined, can cost app. 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of some of the available lower end rails...

Brennan
11-28-11, 16:22
Any better dropwing photos on the VTAC rail by chance?

Edit: Went ahead and just sent payment for one. I'm excited to finally get a lighting system on my rifle that I will like..

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-28-11, 20:01
but I find it absolutely puzzling that a simple piece of bar stock, no matter how intricately machined, can cost app. 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of some of the available lower end rails...

ra2bach,

Cost goes way beyond material and CNC machining. You would not believe how expensive it is to start a business in this industry, from scratch, cover expenses, liability insurance, advertising, make a reasonable profit, launch as many new products as IWC has in 18 months, patent then defend our IP from me-too competition, offer LE/Military/RN/MD/Dealer Discounts and pay salary to American workers.

We're priced correctly.

Call me to discuss further: 970.980.8378

EARL

Eurodriver
11-28-11, 20:21
looks like a neat option for those that need something like this but I find it absolutely puzzling that a simple piece of bar stock, no matter how intricately machined, can cost app. 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of some of the available lower end rails...

Earl nailed it. For what it is, I'm surprised they are not more expensive or out of business altogether. I have no idea how dealers survive in this industry (G&R, Rainier ) let alone manufacturers (BattleComp, IWC).

There are so few people buying these products and so much overhead that I fail to see how anyone could break even.

I wish I knew a dealer or manufacturer personally. I would be really interested in seeing all the numbers; profits, money made from customers, expenses, etc. Its probably alot less than anyone thinks. This isn't Apple.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-28-11, 20:26
MOUNT-N-SLOT,

I know Travis showed one with a Troy VTAC rail but will the dropwing mount also work with the larger holes in the TRX Extreme rail version? Im guessing probably yes if it works with the URX circle slots but just wanted to be sure.

Yes... the threaded backing plates (3) are .600" long which span a .500" hole in the hand guard, like the TRX has, and secures DROPWING to the TRX Extreme. We also include two sets of smaller backing plates for forends with smaller holes or slots, like Travis' VTAC Extreme.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/HSPIWCDROPWINGM300SCOUT.jpg

MOUNT-N-SLOT

TACAV
11-28-11, 21:27
Yes... the threaded backing plates (3) are .600" long which span a .500" hole in the hand guard, like the TRX has, and secures DROPWING to the TRX Extreme. We also include two sets of smaller backing plates for forends with smaller holes or slots, like Travis' VTAC Extreme.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/HSPIWCDROPWINGM300SCOUT.jpg

MOUNT-N-SLOT

cool thanks Im pre ordering one.

ra2bach
11-29-11, 00:45
ra2bach,

Cost goes way beyond material and CNC machining. You would not believe how expensive it is to start a business in this industry, from scratch, cover expenses, liability insurance, advertising, make a reasonable profit, launch as many new products as IWC has in 18 months, patent then defend our IP from me-too competition, offer LE/Military/RN/MD/Dealer Discounts and pay salary to American workers.

We're priced correctly.

Call me to discuss further: 970.980.8378

EARL

OK, I'm 100% understanding amortizing the business, liability, and startup costs. especially the IP prosecution. :agree:...

consider this an apology...

Brennan
12-01-11, 19:11
Shipping soon? :D

yhmspecter
12-04-11, 21:34
Pre ordered the dropwing for my SR15 and M600c..I have the MOE scout mount already and its a great mount, so I look forward to this one.

Eurodriver
12-05-11, 23:48
Will these ship before Christmas?

Thomas M-4
12-06-11, 15:06
I just ordered one for my self. I have a 6p SF light I ordered the 1.00" drop wing I hope that I ordered the correct size. ?? Confirmation would be great guys ;)

Brennan
12-06-11, 19:57
I just received notice that they're shipping next week.

EChryst
12-06-11, 19:58
Man, I hope so. How did you get the notice?

Eurodriver
12-07-11, 04:35
I just received notice that they're shipping next week.

I need to buy another M300 soon then...:big_boss:

MOUNT-N-SLOT
12-07-11, 08:36
Guys,

We've got THORNTAIL & DROPWING, all config's, in production on the CNC's this week, with shipping backlog from HSP starting 12/16, with DROPWING Pre-orders first. Thanks for your patience as IWC completes the launch.

Matt from "Jerking The Trigger" has an exclusive review of THORNTAIL on an AK & AR15 Carbine. Lot's of pics... http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/2011/12/07/review-thorntail-light-mount-from-haley-strategic-partners-and-iwc/

Merry Christmas!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Brennan
12-07-11, 10:47
Man, I hope so. How did you get the notice?

I asked them over Facebook and they replied a few hours later

Eurodriver
12-17-11, 11:21
Just following up and seeing if any shipments have gone out yet.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
12-17-11, 13:54
Just following up and seeing if any shipments have gone out yet.

Hey EURODRIVER!

12/17... Here's the latest update on DROPWING & THORNTAIL for IWC & HSP orders. IWC met with Travis at HSP's R&D Center, shown in HSP's LIGHT MOUNT video, yesterday and had a production meeting at IWC today.

Orders at Haley Strategic Partners:

1 - HSP has began shipping DROPWING customer orders yesterday.

2 - IWC completed CNC for enough THORNTAILS to cover current customers orders and shipped these to SoCal for Anodize, back to CO, then to laser in CO and shipping to HSP for shipment next week.

They are contacting customers when their orders ship and are extremely busy (think elves in Santa's workshop... armed with the baddest assortment of weapons ever!) shipping SWAG and Light Mount orders.

Orders at Impact Weapons Components:

1 - DROPWING and THORNTAIL orders will ship next week.

2 - IWC will finally have both DROPWING and THORNTAIL with HSP logo for photos (HSP had the only two we made!) and next week, load IWC's site with all versions of both, along with COMBO Deals!

3 - SUMMIT Members get discounted pricing.

The IWC crew apologizes for missing our initial shipment schedule by two weeks.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Amicus
12-17-11, 15:57
I am very interested in picking up one of these systems to play with/use. Only problem is I generally run Surefire "E" lights. According to the video, HSP will be releasing rings for three types of lights. Any word on availability for the rings?

Thomas M-4
12-17-11, 16:45
I am very interested in picking up one of these systems to play with/use. Only problem is I generally run Surefire "E" lights. According to the video, HSP will be releasing rings for three types of lights. Any word on availability for the rings?

http://www.haleystrategic.com/adaptive_weapons_manipulation/adaptive_light_mounts.php

The first one at the top is listed for the E series.
.830" rings

kdcgrohl
12-19-11, 09:47
2 - IWC will finally have both DROPWING and THORNTAIL with HSP logo for photos (HSP had the only two we made!) and next week, load IWC's site with all versions of both, along with COMBO Deals!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Standing by...

556noob
12-19-11, 12:15
I have a new LMT MRP - the Dropwing should work with a MRP, correct?

:D

EChryst
12-19-11, 16:13
Received my Dropwing - Scout today. Stoked!

556noob
12-19-11, 16:40
Received my Dropwing - Scout today. Stoked!

Pics please... :D

Brennan
12-20-11, 18:52
Here are some blurry photos of the Dropwing installed with a Viking Tactics L4 light, mounted to a VTAC Extreme 13" BattleRail.

http://i41.tinypic.com/11ilbb8.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/bi01t1.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/dgqoh5.jpg

Eurodriver
12-21-11, 16:20
Looks very nice.

I can't wait to get my thorntail.

Eurodriver
12-23-11, 19:20
Just ordered an IWC MOE QD Mount. Maybe my Thorntail and it will arrive late next week? Maybe? :cool:

Thomas M-4
12-23-11, 22:22

panzerr
12-24-11, 10:34
If only the thorntail were available with a QD.....

hatchtrikk
12-24-11, 12:13
This looks like the best solution for an Ultimaked AK. Very excite.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
12-24-11, 15:56
If only the thorntail were available with a QD.....

IWC will launch three new versions of the THORNTAIL cap, the piece that covers the rail, where the logo is.

1. A Rotation limited QD socket.
2. An HK Loop.
3. A loop compatible with Magpul's MS2 & MS3... Just to show off!

The cap design is covered by patent. So we're making it an integral part of our future product portfolio. We've got other light mounts using the cap in the works.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

MOUNT-N-SLOT
12-24-11, 15:58
This looks like the best solution for an Ultimaked AK. Very excite.

Travis loves the THORNTAIL on his Ultimak AK...

MOUNT-N-SLOT

MOUNT-N-SLOT
12-24-11, 16:01
Dang it I ordered a drop wing Dec 6th..:(No joy I haven't gotten mine yet.

Hang in there... We've shipped pre-orders from Haley's site last week. By the 30th, most if not all orders from both HSP and IWC are planned to ship. We truly appreciate the faith in those who've ordered sight unseen and your patience as HSP/IWC fill the supply-chain.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Thomas M-4
12-24-11, 18:04
Hang in there... We've shipped pre-orders from Haley's site last week. By the 30th, most if not all orders from both HSP and IWC are planned to ship. We truly appreciate the faith in those who've ordered sight unseen and your patience as HSP/IWC fill the supply-chain.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Please accept My humble apologies, I did get it 3 days ago my wife hide it from me.:o

yhmspecter
12-24-11, 18:31

MOUNT-N-SLOT

I love your mounts, can't wait to get the Dropwing from the post office.. and mount my SF M300 to my SR 15...

Burt Gummer
12-27-11, 22:36
IWC will launch three new versions of the THORNTAIL cap, the piece that covers the rail, where the logo is.

1. A Rotation limited QD socket.
2. An HK Loop.
3. A loop compatible with Magpul's MS2 & MS3... Just to show off!

The cap design is covered by patent. So we're making it an integral part of our future product portfolio. We've got other light mounts using the cap in the works.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Hope you guys offer a TAN color option to match the tan Surefires

Eurodriver
12-28-11, 14:44
Just some hope for anyone wondering,

Ordered a Thorntail 12/06 and got it today.

Once I take my M300 off another mount I'll get pics.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
12-28-11, 22:20
Hope you guys offer a TAN color option to match the tan Surefires

We're considering FDE

MOUNT-N-SLOT
12-28-11, 22:21
Just some hope for anyone wondering,

Ordered a Thorntail 12/06 and got it today.

Once I take my M300 off another mount I'll get pics.

Can't wait for your pics & review!!!

Eurodriver
01-03-12, 15:54
http://i41.tinypic.com/ie1nc7.jpg

I'm taking these out this weekend and will put them through their paces (I've actually already fired the SCAR in this configuration with no issues, but it was from a static range)

yhmspecter
01-05-12, 12:04
Recieved my Dropwing today, when I get out of work I will take some pictures ..So far my impression is I will be getting another one

yhmspecter
01-07-12, 21:39
Here are a few pictures I took with my Droid, Excuse the Magpul Carbine video in the back round

DROPWING m300a
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0329.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0325.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0323.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0324.jpg

bottom view
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0327.jpg

apexcncshop
01-10-12, 09:10
Love the simplicity of this new light mount by I.W.C. and Travis, just wish we had built it first!

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac234/apexcncshop/apexsbr003edbl_edited-2.jpg

kVon
01-10-12, 09:37
Is the mount sturdy with the light on it? Any wobble?

apexcncshop
01-10-12, 09:48
It is all bolted together, not really any place wobble could develop.
This one is on a display rifle, but will do some more playing with it after SHOT.

Matt_S
01-10-12, 10:13
Here is the Thorntail mount with a E1e SureFire

http://http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc8/mjs1963/DSC_0501.jpg

calicojack
01-10-12, 20:03
does anyone know if the g2 mount will work with the Troy TRX rail? and when will the fde versions start rolling out?

MOUNT-N-SLOT
01-10-12, 23:48
does anyone know if the g2 mount will work with the Troy TRX rail? and when will the fde versions start rolling out?

The DROPWING with 1.030" Ring for the G2 works perfectly on the TRX Extreme.

We do not have a planned production or release date for either THORNTAIL or DROPWING in colors other than black.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

MOUNT-N-SLOT
01-10-12, 23:51
Love the simplicity of this new light mount by I.W.C. and Travis, just wish we had built it first!

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac234/apexcncshop/apexsbr003edbl_edited-2.jpg

Thanks guys!!! See you next week at S.H.O.T.!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

calicojack
01-13-12, 09:46
The DROPWING with 1.030" Ring for the G2 works perfectly on the TRX Extreme.

We do not have a planned production or release date for either THORNTAIL or DROPWING in colors other than black.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

found myself searching through the site and couldn't seem to find the 1.030" ring. does that mean we need to source else where? or am i just over looking it?

JSantoro
01-13-12, 12:16
I'm interested in the rings, too. I have a RADIAL on my VTAC rail mounting an M600 variant, and while I could spend a metric buttload of $$ to put a new, 200-lumen head on my Scout....OR....I could buy a Thorntail ring to put on the RADIAL and use one of the G2Xs I already have...

1) IF it'll even mount to a RADIAL...? Y/N?
First consideration is whether I'm on the right track, or not. I think I remember seeing a hole for a ring traversing the short axis of the thing....

2) IF the rings are available as stand-alone pieces...? Y/N?

trinydex
01-13-12, 13:51
Is there a piece of pic rail that will fit on the thorntail to make it fit a pistol light?

SteveL
01-14-12, 13:41
My Dropwing came in today.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/DSC03782.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/DSC03781.jpg

556noob
01-16-12, 19:38
Can anyone confirm if either of these mount will work with a M952V?

Thanks!!!

boosterboy
01-24-12, 15:39
Can anyone confirm if either of these mount will work with a M952V?

Thanks!!!

The m952v has the same mounting profile as the M620, so when the M620 compatible comes out, it should work assume there is no obstruction with the HG

BTL BRN
02-02-12, 11:33
I ordered a Thorntail last night for my MI AK rail - it was installed awhile back before they announced the newer longer rail - I wanted something that will put the light out farther and this seems like it will fit the bill. Great service so far, as I just got notification that it has already shipped! :agree:

robbf213
02-02-12, 11:48
I'm about to order on of these myself. This site is costing my a fortune!:D

Yojimbo
02-05-12, 21:30
Will the Dropwing model work with a LaRue 9.0 rail to mount the light at 1:00?

LBG375
02-17-12, 20:24
I just got my Dropwing in. I originally planned on using it to mount a M952V with a DCC 620V adapter on my Larue 9.0. I'm still waiting on the DCC adapter, so I decided to try it out with an M300 from another gun.
Mount is solid. No play at all. I don't think that it will push the light out far enough for my purposes though. Maybe the Thorntail M620V Version will fit the bill better.
Mount n Slot, do you have an ETA on the 620V version?

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f84042-0424-2d41.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6f84042-043e-67da.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a6f84042-045a-211f.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

MOUNT-N-SLOT
02-19-12, 15:22
We made a prototype of the THORNTAIL for M620V, Millennium type Surefire lights last week and sent it to Travis Haley @ HSP for EVAL / FITMENT checks, using their arsenal of test weapons. Should know more on a firm availability date in a couple of weeks. Will post then.

M-N-S

MrSmitty
03-29-12, 15:12
Here is the Thorntail mount with a E1e SureFire

http://http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc8/mjs1963/DSC_0501.jpg

I've been looking for a good mount for an M300A that won't interfere with my switchblock or Troy sight...you sir, just made my day :dance3:

kdcgrohl
03-29-12, 15:39
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/kdcgrohl/firearms/2012-03-13_16-59-58_676.jpg

Tango2249
08-15-12, 08:42
I'm debating whether to get a Surefire M300A or M600C for a 10.5" Noveske upper with DD MK18 RIS rail. I do not want the light to extend past the muzzle, and would like to run the rifle with a Magpl AFG2 and a Surefire Dual Switch Pressure Pad on the top rail, just behind the front folding sight.

Does anyone have a similar set up, and would the Thorntail SBR mount be the one to go with? Since I would like to use a pressure pad on the top rail, would I have any problem mounting the Thorntail on the side rail?

If anyone have some pics of a similar set up they can post, that would be great. Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide.

markm
08-15-12, 08:52
I spotted this mount a few weeks back on the interweb some where...

Interesting... but I got nervouse about all the parts that are involved when I took a closer look. Are these staying on the guns tight so far?

JSantoro
08-15-12, 11:10
The number of parts had me worried a bit, too, but the way it was designed to jigsaw-puzzle together is excellent, particularly in regard to how they did it without needless material; they fit together very securely. Once the Loctite is on, it's got no more chance of going anywhere than any other threaded component. The Thorntail on my Noveske-uppered gun has been decently beaten, and it's gone NOwhere.

Pretty damned impressed with it, particularly since it was a damn sight cheaper than having to swap the SWS rail on my Noveske for something else (was thinking of moving to an 11" VTAC tube, now I don't have to).

markm
08-15-12, 11:33
Cool. I have one non-lighted SBR that I might try the Thorntail on.

Burt Gummer
08-16-12, 18:08
Why not a THORNTAIL for the X300?

IWC already has the RADIAL Universal Light MOUNT-N-SLOT for the X300, I would think it would be an easy transition to a Thorntail 1913 Picatinny rail.

I can hardly wait for Surefire's X300 Ultra 500-lumen light!

opdsgt
08-16-12, 18:49
I like just about everything Travis Haley, including his AR farkle. Were I not already running a LaRue QD offset mount and a mini-Scout, I'd be in the market for one of these Thorntail mounts. Nice kit.

trinydex
08-16-12, 19:28

IWC already has the RADIAL Universal Light MOUNT-N-SLOT for the X300, I would think it would be an easy transition to a Thorntail 1913 Picatinny rail.

I can hardly wait for Surefire's X300 Ultra 500-lumen light!

would be nice

MOUNT-N-SLOT
08-16-12, 22:44
The number of parts had me worried a bit, too, but the way it was designed to jigsaw-puzzle together is excellent, particularly in regard to how they did it without needless material; they fit together very securely. Once the Loctite is on, it's got no more chance of going anywhere than any other threaded component. The Thorntail on my Noveske-uppered gun has been decently beaten, and it's gone NOwhere.

Pretty damned impressed with it, particularly since it was a damn sight cheaper than having to swap the SWS rail on my Noveske for something else (was thinking of moving to an 11" VTAC tube, now I don't have to).

Thanks!!!

MOUNT-N-SLOT
08-16-12, 22:54

We looked at just adding the RADIAL's 1913 rail "tabs" to the edges of the THORNTAIL, but it didn't work like we thought with the variety of lengths, widths & switch locations of the rail mounted lights available today in the Industry.

So I designed a new mount which cantilever's the light forward like the THORNTAIL does, uses a similar "Jigsaw Puzzle" attaching mechanism which locks up tight, weighs less and like THORNTAIL, is ambi and attaches in 8 positions.

Prototype testing done. They hit the CNC's next week, then after anodize, should be available in a few weeks. $50.00. And we're exploring FDE as well as black type III HCA. We'll see...

MOUNT-N-SLOT

mtdawg169
08-18-12, 14:47
I just got one from Brownells today and mounted it up on my SR15. It's a great mount! I've always felt a little cramped with the urx mid rail and my prior mounting solution with a G2. I was considering a longer rail, but now I don't have to. The cantilever design gives plenty of position options and it bolts up solid! Great product, I'm looking forward to running it tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TOMTOM
08-25-12, 17:13
I got one earlier this week, and I have to say, it's a nice mount. I had concerns just like Jsantoro, but once tightened, it's not moving or going ANYWHERE.

rero360
09-10-12, 13:52
Perhaps someone can help me out, I just got my Thorntail SBR 1" mount in the mail today and am attempting to mount my SF 6P in it and its not letting me. I'm following the directions but the flashlight is spreading the ring clamp too much making it so the second bolt won't line up with the threads.

Measuring the ring clamp, unmounted, it has an internal diameter of .982 and my 6P has a OD of 1.007 on the knurling.

Does anyone have any hints or ideas how I can get this all together without stripping the threads in the base?

markm
09-10-12, 13:57
Measuring the ring clamp, unmounted, it has an internal diameter of .982 and my 6P has a OD of 1.007 on the knurling.

Odd... I checked GearSector's site for reference, and their 6p mount is .995 inner diameter.

rero360
09-10-12, 14:24
I highly doubt anything is wrong with the mount, more than likely I'm doing something wrong in putting it all together.

JSantoro
09-10-12, 14:40
If you torqued one side down before trying to do so with the other...I too had problems aligning. Try just getting one side threaded a bit, then the other, and alternate torquing, just like on a scope ring.

That's what worked for me.

Boxerglocker
09-10-12, 15:10
I spotted this mount a few weeks back on the interweb some where...

Interesting... but I got nervouse about all the parts that are involved when I took a closer look. Are these staying on the guns tight so far?

This mount is solid, I have one on my DDM4V2 carbine holding a Surefire G2X. My rifle get knocked around quite a lot at matches and classes. I've installed it torqued per instruction and have yet to have a problem. I really want a scout but but can't justify the expense as a civilian user being I already have a decent light that meets my needs.

rero360
09-10-12, 15:42
I emailed Impact Weapon Components about the issue, and got an almost immediate reply and they are sending me out another ring to correct the issue. Absolutely fabulous customer care right there.

mtdawg169
09-10-12, 15:56
If you torqued one side down before trying to do so with the other...I too had problems aligning. Try just getting one side threaded a bit, then the other, and alternate torquing, just like on a scope ring.

That's what worked for me.

This is what worked for me as well. You have to get each side started before torquing them down.

rero360
09-10-12, 16:26
This is what worked for me as well. You have to get each side started before torquing them down.

I couldn't even do that, even with just having one thread engaged on the shelf side, its still unable to engage the other side. I'm thinking its just a matter of tolerance stacking between the mount and the scope, no big deal, they are taking care of me and sending another ring and that should solve the problem.

rero360
09-14-12, 01:00
Got the new ring today, was sent one of the 1.030" rings, everything mounted together perfectly and easily and it works like a champ. All in all its a great mount that is nice and light, small and compact.

mskdgunman
09-15-12, 22:09
Someone earlier asked a question reagarding the compatability of the mount with Surefires older Millennium series but I still have a question on this this. I have two of these (an M-95 6 volt and a M-96 9 volt) They are a little big/old but servicible and I got them for nothing so I'd like to put them to use. Both have dual thumbscrew mounts and my question is, will any of the Thorntail mounts work with them and will I have to remove the thumbscrew mounting brackets and secure the light directly to the mount via the threaded holes on the botton body of the light? I have not found any pictures of this set up and would like to be sure it will work before getting it.

eva05
11-18-12, 16:27
They make a mount specifically for the Millenium series of lights.

http://haleystrategic.com/store/mil620.php

:)

j

MIDGAPATRIOT
11-20-12, 20:06
They make a mount specifically for the Millenium series of lights.

http://haleystrategic.com/store/mil620.php

:)

j

Sweet! I've got two rifles with M951's on them.

WS6
04-11-13, 04:21
I see on Mount n Slot's website, they tell me to select my light, M300 or M600. Aren't they the same regardless? I have both and they both bolt up identically. Are the mounts somehow different? I don't understand. Software glitch? I would like to try 1 mount on both lights.

LRB45
04-20-13, 10:27
I was just wondering if any one has a pic of the thorntail mount and the EAG Fury light mounted on their rifle?

MOUNT-N-SLOT
04-23-13, 02:06
I see on Mount n Slot's website, they tell me to select my light, M300 or M600. Aren't they the same regardless? I have both and they both bolt up identically. Are the mounts somehow different? I don't understand. Software glitch? I would like to try 1 mount on both lights.

We show ALL the lights that are compatible with the mount in the drop down menu. The same THORNTAIL Scount works with all the lights listed in the drop down.

The idea of the drop down is to prevent someone who owns, say a handheld SF G2X Tactical from buying the THORNTAIL Scout light, getting it and realize it's the incorrect mount.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

WS6
04-23-13, 02:11
We show ALL the lights that are compatible with the mount in the drop down menu. The same THORNTAIL Scount works with all the lights listed in the drop down.

The idea of the drop down is to prevent someone who owns, say a handheld SF G2X Tactical from buying the THORNTAIL Scout light, getting it and realize it's the incorrect mount.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Well, I got mine just in time for VTAC Streetfighter, and it held up to being slammed into things, jammed against windshields, and all manner of use and it's as tight as the moment I bolted it on. I used Loctite 243 on it and torqued the bolts down "well". Nothing absurd, just used the supplied wrench and common sense. I bought the SBR model.

MountainRaven
08-25-16, 20:00
Apologies for the necro, but does anyone know if the Scout Thorntail will work without removing the forward sling loop on an FN SCAR?

Thanks!