PDA

View Full Version : Pre-game Thanksgiving discussion re:guns

nimdabew
11-23-11, 21:20
So I am sitting here, right now, and the conversation turned to guns and gun control. This chick from LA starts to say that Uzi's can be bought from Illinois, West Virginia, and Columbia, (which apparently are forefinger countries), with a fake ID. Then she says quote "this guy from Oprah blah blah blah" and I tuned out and said something snaky like "you are quoting something Oprah as a credible source?"

I have been drinking but I thought I would share the arguments the anti-gunners are spouting.

Belmont31R
11-23-11, 21:30
Im a big believer in 'you can't choose your family'. We had my MIL and SIL out here about a month ago and they are just different people. They have turned into major animal rights nuts and my MIL was bringing coffee down to Occupy Olympia. Whatever. Ive debated her before and it always ends up in her admitting she doesn't care about things like Obama having personal friendships with domestic terrorists (Ayers) or she just blows stuff off as being blown out of proportion.

Im convinced as time goes on political sides are going to get even more polarized and heated. The democrat party used to be conservative and had values like JFK "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" to todays democrats being "demand my government tax other people at the point of a gun to pay for my education and provide me with a job and retirement". Theres really no sense arguing or debating with people that far gone. The only thing Ive said to my MIL in the last year was pointing out all the people wearing leather shoes at her animal rights protest she posted pictures of. Never responded.

Luckily my wife still had some country girl in her when I met her and since we've been together she has gone more libertarian. My MIL accused me of brain washing her daughter. Whatever. Now we live 1500 miles apart.

Then there is also my sister who lives 10 minutes away but I have minimal contact with. Not going to go into it but I personally love being just able to spend holidays with the wife and kids. No in laws, relatives, whatever. Just the 4 of us kicking back making food and spending time together. Ive gone to "family" holiday events and it ends up the "host" slaving away making tons of food for other people. The old men sit around saying a word every other minute watching football and the old women talk about knitting or whatever. No thanks.

SteyrAUG
11-23-11, 23:10
The one thing I have noticed from the "You can get AKs/Uzis on the street..." crowd is that in every single case they have never actually held one.

And that is because it is amazing what actually owning such items does for your understanding of such things.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/00000000416.jpg

In every single case they are usually describing something they've seen on a movie. Even the so called "machine guns" recovered on shows like "COPS" are not really machine guns but semi auto closed bolt pistol versions. Most "AK-47s" are in fact SKS rifles.

It is extremely rare to encounter ACTUAL items like Uzis and AK-47s and things like the North Hollywood shootout are the very rare exception.

It's actually kind of funny to put a Uzi in the hands of these so called "experts", so far everyone of them has been surprised by how heavy they are despite the fact that they have seen them all the time and in fact used to "own one back in the day."

Don't even get me started on AK-47s which are far less common.

uwe1
11-24-11, 06:29
In every single case they are usually describing something they've seen on a movie. Even the so called "machine guns" recovered on shows like "COPS" are not really machine guns but semi auto closed bolt pistol versions. Most "AK-47s" are in fact SKS rifles.

A year or two ago, there was an episode on a show like COPS or Texas SWAT, I don't remember which, but one of the LE recovered a firearm at a house they did an entry on.

He then proceeds to stand in front of a camera and declare that this here is a Mac-10, a full auto, an very illegal firearm.

It was a Keltec S2K with stock folded.

He then proceeded to "sweat" the guy at the house over owning an illegal gun, in order to extract some information.

SteyrAUG
11-24-11, 12:22
A year or two ago, there was an episode on a show like COPS or Texas SWAT, I don't remember which, but one of the LE recovered a firearm at a house they did an entry on.

He then proceeds to stand in front of a camera and declare that this here is a Mac-10, a full auto, an very illegal firearm.

It was a Keltec S2K with stock folded.

He then proceeded to "sweat" the guy at the house over owning an illegal gun, in order to extract some information.

I've seen mis ID'd guns on nearly every episode. And while I personally don't have a problem with them putting the screws to a crack house scumbag with the weight of such a misidentification that error bleeds into other police work and some innocent "decent" person who comes into contact with the same cops ends up being arrested because they believe they have found more "illegal guns."

The logical part of me of course realizes that it is unreasonable to expect LEOs to become small arms identification experts, but at the same time if they are going to saddle a man with an arrest record they damn well better know what they are doing.

This is because even if the charges are dismissed or dropped, the "arrest" still remains on your record forever.

Iraqgunz
11-24-11, 16:09
Anti-gun people are for the most part uneducated morons when it comes to their knowledge of firearms. Once you confront them with facts you will still lose the battle because they will bow out by saying;

"Well you don't need that anyways" or "There is no reason to hunt animals with something like that". So don't waste your time and energy. Eat, Drink and be Merry for eventually we will all die.

munch520
11-24-11, 17:34
It's a no-win discussion. Well said gunz...drinking more is the only option. My family can only sit around a table for so long til some idiot starts spewing verbal diarrhea everywhere.