PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 101 and the skeet gun decision

stitchclimber
11-23-11, 21:33
So I've ran into a tough decision...

I've got a beautiful 1971 Winchester 101 over under in 20g, I love the gun, I really do. But its a 20g and I hate it. I always have to buy extra ammo to feed it when I take my 12g's out, and when I go skeet shooting with my relatives, I can never mooch off of Uncle Dale's never ending 12g ammo supply... So it has to go.

Problem #1. I have no clue what I should ask for my 101, prices on these things are everywhere from $600-$1400 for the base model...

Problem #2. What should I get to replace it? I love the O/U and I love the intricate scroll work, so those I features I am looking for. Removable/changeable chokes is also a must.

I'll most likely be looking at the used gun racks first and I'm hoping to spend $400-$600

Any thoughts on the value of my 101 or suggestions on my next purchase?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/stitchclimber/DSCN4762.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/stitchclimber/DSCN1233-2.jpg

ucrt
11-23-11, 21:50

Not to change the subject, but is that a good ol' Rem 550 under your shotgun on the rack? If it is, do you care to get rid of it?

From my experience, the price killer on your 101 is not having screw-ins. Sounds like you've shot it a fair amount over the years and generally, it isn't hard to tell up close. Those two things will probably put you at the bottom half of your range. Being a twenty does keep it from bottoming out, a lot of guys like O/U's in a twenty.

I'd look for a good SKB to replace it.

stitchclimber
11-23-11, 21:58

Not to change the subject, but is that a good ol' Rem 550 under your shotgun on the rack? If it is, do you care to get rid of it?

From my experience, the price killer on your 101 is not having screw-ins. Sounds like you've shot it a fair amount over the years and generally, it isn't hard to tell up close. Those two things will probably put you at the bottom half of your range. Being a twenty does keep it from bottoming out, a lot of guys like O/U's in a twenty.

I'd look for a good SKB to replace it.

Great info! Keep it up.

And no, the Remington is not for sale, and you aren't the first person to ask.

It was given to me by my grandfather who worked in the Ag dept of U of Illinois, when they shut down the campus shooting club he got a few .22's and taught me to shoot on it.

J-Dub
11-24-11, 18:49
I say keep it! Nothing wrong with a 20ga.

stitchclimber
11-24-11, 20:26
I say keep it! Nothing wrong with a 20ga.

yeah, but I'm ready for something else... mind made up.

NinjaMedic
11-25-11, 14:31
For me a 20g 101 is the epitome of dove hunting shotguns. Save up and buy something else to complement it . . .

BigfootHunter
12-12-11, 18:44
Maybe a new Winchester 101 Field? CDNN is blowing them out for $999.

I realize this is above your stated budget, but you know you like the Winnie already just not the gauge you have it in.

They're on the front page of the latest circular they're printing. I picked one up and while it's still in jail (damn CA waiting period!), it looked VERRY nice when I filled out the paperwork. Used prices might come down (they haven't yet) since these ones are being sold at nearly half off MSRP! $1800 normally.

ETA: They even look alike, though I think the older ones were made in Japan, the new 101 is made in Belgium (supposedly the same FN factory that makes the Browning Superposed.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=020C&mid=513046

59Bassman
12-15-11, 03:56
How high-volume do you think you're going to go with skeet shooting? Will this be a 12+ round per week habit, or is it primarily a recreational thing?

The reason I ask is that I've spent some time shooting 101's in a volume setting - they're very rare to see in modern competition. There are a couple of reasons for it. At least in my experience, and that of the folks I shot with, the 101 was one of the hardest-kicking O/U's around. Also, most guys I knew who shot 101's had a lot of problems with ejectors failing.

Most of what you'll see in lower-end O/U's on the range will be Beretta 68X-series or Browning Citoris. These are proven designs that will last for a long time. You're going to be hard pressed to find one of those in your price range. Most skeet shooters have gone to 30" or 32" barrels, (same with sporting clays shooters), so your best bet trying to find a bargain is to look for a Beretta or Browning O/U with 28" barrels. This will also allow you to find a field model that would work.

I'm not a huge fan of 28" tubes, but if you're on a tight budget and want a quality target O/U, that's the place to look.

BigfootHunter
12-15-11, 04:27
I can't say for sure, since I haven't shot mine yet, but everything I've heard about the current 101's (made in Belgium) states that they don't have the same strong kick that the older ones (made in Japan?) had. I've also read that the similarities between the two basically end at the 101 name. Though i don't have a kicky one to compare it to anyways. I've only shot a borrowed 525 sporting so that's what I'll have to compare it to, once I do take it out.

Just thought the OP might want to check out one of the new ones if he's dead set on replacing the old one with a 12 gauge.

59Bassman
12-15-11, 04:34
I can't say for sure, since I haven't shot mine yet, but everything I've heard about the current 101's (made in Belgium) states that they don't have the same strong kick that the older ones (made in Japan?) had. I've also read that the similarities between the two basically end at the 101 name.

That's possible. The older ones I shot were all made before the recent trend towards ultra-long forcing cones. That change alone might help with the recoil. I haven't been doing as much volume shotgun shooting in the last 5 years, so I'll admit that some of my knowledge is dated. Plus I've already got my dream competition shotguns, so I don't try that many others. :)

rojocorsa
12-16-11, 16:33
I think someone already mentioned the Citori, and yeah, take a look at those too. They're pretty well made and apparently take a pounding.

I say that because my family goes and shoots trap every year (we bring a Winchester 1300, which is OK), but I always like to go out of the way and rent a Citori and boy! It's a nice gun, a little on the heavy side which soaks up the recoil. And the best part is that it doesn't give me any crap, especially considering that it is a range-rental that probably gets used and abused.

I know these would be a contender for me if I were in the market for this type of shotgun.