PDA

View Full Version : Meopta ZD vs SWFA 1-4

cop1211
11-23-11, 22:30
Trying to decide on one of these two.
I've read through everything under the orange search button as well as google fu.
I'll be using this on duty/SWAT. I have 3 TR24's (triangle) and 2 Aimpoints (M4s.)
I like both of these fine, just looking to try something different.
It will be going on a 11.5 BCM/KAC URX ii upper.
Urban enviorment, so engagement ranges would be 0-100 yards ,more than likely.
Not looking for another RDS, I like the 1-4s.
I'm a married cop with 4 kids, so unless someone wants to hook me up BIG TIME, the S&B, or the Z6I are not in the cards.

Anyone have anytime on either one of these?
Meopta ZD or SWFA 1-4 circle.

Thanks

Alaskapopo
11-23-11, 23:44
Trying to decide on one of these two.
I've read through everything under the orange search button as well as google fu.
I'll be using this on duty/SWAT. I have 3 TR24's (triangle) and 2 Aimpoints (M4s.)
I like both of these fine, just looking to try something different.
It will be going on a 11.5 BCM/KAC URX ii upper.
Urban enviorment, so engagement ranges would be 0-100 yards ,more than likely.
Not looking for another RDS, I like the 1-4s.
I'm a married cop with 4 kids, so unless someone wants to hook me up BIG TIME, the S&B, or the Z6I are not in the cards.

Anyone have anytime on either one of these?
Meopta ZD or SWFA 1-4 circle.

Thanks

The Meopta has a better reticle and far better illumination.
Pat

Jaysop
11-24-11, 00:17
You said any Ingagments would probably be within 100 yards,
Why would a red dot not suit your purposes? Im asking in pure curiosity.
I prefer 1-4s because my vision sucks and I don't wear glasses so I like being able to focus it. The added weight is just a bitch tho.

Alaskapopo
11-24-11, 01:23
You said any Ingagments would probably be within 100 yards,
Why would a red dot not suit your purposes? Im asking in pure curiosity.
I prefer 1-4s because my vision sucks and I don't wear glasses so I like being able to focus it. The added weight is just a bitch tho.

On patrol I have found magnificaiton is also good for seeing things in windows darker areas etc even inside 100 yards.
pat

cop1211
11-24-11, 01:54
On patrol I have found magnificaiton is also good for seeing things in windows darker areas etc even inside 100 yards.
pat

This. The rds is fine I have 2 rifles with the Aimpoint M4s.
But with the 1-4 I can be fine with cqb but can have the magnification if needed on the perimeter or if another situation where there is some distance even if it's only 50 or more yards.

Alaska, I assume you have used both scopes?

Alaskapopo
11-24-11, 20:57
This. The rds is fine I have 2 rifles with the Aimpoint M4s.
But with the 1-4 I can be fine with cqb but can have the magnification if needed on the perimeter or if another situation where there is some distance even if it's only 50 or more yards.

Alaska, I assume you have used both scopes?

Used my friends Meopta not the SWFA just used reviews and looked at pictures of its reticle. Not saying its a bad scope I just prefer day light visible illumination and a simple less cluttered reticle. One down side to the Meopta is the illumination does not really get dark enough for night use and it does bloom in darkness even at the lowest setting. For the job I would prefer the TR24 that I use. If daylight visible illumination is not a big deal to you I would look hard at the Vortex PST 1-4 its priced right and is good clear glass.

Pat

cop1211
11-24-11, 21:18
Alaska,
When you say the illumination doesnt get dark enough for nightime use, are you saying its too bright?

Alaskapopo
11-24-11, 21:23
Alaska,
When you say the illumination doesnt get dark enough for nightime use, are you saying its too bright?

Yes.
Pat

Singlestack Wonder
11-25-11, 10:03
Pat:

Were you referring to a Meopta K dot or the newest ZD dot? According to reviews elsewhere, the nighttime illumination on the ZD dot is GTG.

Alaskapopo
11-25-11, 14:32
Pat:

Were you referring to a Meopta K dot or the newest ZD dot? According to reviews elsewhere, the nighttime illumination on the ZD dot is GTG.

Sorry I have only used the K dot did not know they impoved that on the ZD dot.
Pat

sff70
11-25-11, 17:14
Food for thought - for LE use at night, it's likely that a white light will be in use, so it's better to be a little too bright, than being a little too dim.

Alaskapopo
11-25-11, 18:02
Food for thought - for LE use at night, it's likely that a white light will be in use, so it's better to be a little too bright, than being a little too dim.

Actually that is flawed logic. There are lots of times you don't want to use any light where you can see your target but you want your position to remain concealed. If the reticle washes so bad you can't see your target you have problems.
Pat