PDA

View Full Version : Rode it hard and broke it!

Image Group
11-23-11, 23:49
Was shooting my AR-15 Bushmaster today and after about 500 rounds my bolt catch snapped off. I only noticed it when I went to reload and saw it sitting among the loose ammo. In all of my years I've never seen one break. Anyone know if this might be due to something else leading up to a malfunction or just one of those things?

Belmont31R
11-23-11, 23:51
Was shooting my AR-15 Bushmaster today and after about 500 rounds my bolt catch snapped off. I only noticed it when I went to reload and saw it sitting among the loose ammo. In all of my years I've never seen one break. Anyone know if this might be due to something else leading up to a malfunction or just one of those things?

Was shooting my AR-15 Bushmaster today

Maybe this is the problem.

buckjay
11-24-11, 00:34
Maybe this is the problem.

I swear people make it too easy these days!

vicious_cb
11-24-11, 00:44
If it was a bushmaster assembled lower then its probably that, crappy bushmaster parts. If you assembled the lower yourself dont use a no name parts kit.

jet80tv
11-24-11, 00:50
How many rounds have you had through this previously? Only the 500? I would be disappointed.

Belmont31R
11-24-11, 01:05
I swear people make it too easy these days!

FWIW I have replaced a few LMT and CMT bolt catches with Colt bolt catches via Brownells.

I also replaced the bolt catch on my SR15 with a Colt product so Im not just "hating" on BM.

Tweak
11-24-11, 01:37
did it snap on the roll pin hole?

PieceKeeper
11-24-11, 02:39
Pics please.

Would also like to know if this was original equipment or aftermarket, if so, what brand.

Iraqgunz
11-24-11, 03:00
Anything can break at any time. Some brands are more suscpetible than others. There are other issues that you should be concerned with as well with Bushmaster.

I suggest you use the SEARCH button to learn about them.

Image Group
11-24-11, 04:08
I have a lot of after market parts on it. I knew what I was buying when I bought it. The Bushmaster was the last AR in the store and the only place that had one with the lack of time before the ban in 99. I was in Germany and made it back just in time to make the purchase hold. I've replaced quite a few parts right off the get go and slowly replaced things at a steady pace since. Never would have thought that would break though.

TehLlama
11-24-11, 05:30
A list of the parts you have on it now would help.

The simplest diagnosis many of us here are going to give you will be to keep the lower receiver, and start evaluating what you're able to replace incrementally, starting with items like the LPK, Upper Receiver group, BCG.

Top end stuff will break if you use it enough, but a bolt catch shouldn't be something that breaks before you're having other issues crop up, that's just poor QC in all likelihood, probably caused by BM trying to push as many units out the door right when you were buying.

Eurodriver
11-24-11, 06:30
I have a lot of after market parts on it. I knew what I was buying when I bought it. The Bushmaster was the last AR in the store and the only place that had one with the lack of time before the ban in 99. I was in Germany and made it back just in time to make the purchase hold. I've replaced quite a few parts right off the get go and slowly replaced things at a steady pace since. Never would have thought that would break though.

What ban in 99?

Nightvisionary
11-24-11, 06:45
What ban in 99?

OP lives in California.

Armati
11-24-11, 08:29
Firstly, good on you for getting out and actually shooting the thing. A lot of guys will buy an AR just to have one and never really learn the gun.

You can use the 'search' function to find out what is wrong with your BM. Most likely your lower is fine. Everything else is suspect. Your mission at this point should be replace all of the critical parts just as soon as possible. Sell your old BM parts on Gunbroker with a very low starting bid. Believe me, people will buy them.

You sound like a shooter. If 500rds is your normal range session you will start to break more BM parts in short order.

jonbondave
11-24-11, 13:55
since it's a registered lower can you put any legal lnegth upper on it? and have a flash hider and all that? I'm not intimate with california laws, but if this is the case I'd look at replacing the complete upper assembly.

Iraqgunz
11-24-11, 14:56
Yes he can. I would strip the lower and install a quality LPK. Then I would assess the upper and anything made by BM would go to the trash pile.

since it's a registered lower can you put any legal lnegth upper on it? and have a flash hider and all that? I'm not intimate with california laws, but if this is the case I'd look at replacing the complete upper assembly.

tbaytusmc
11-24-11, 17:46
Speaking of Bushmaster, I went to a local NC gun show where I was trying to sell my Rem 700 to buy my wife her first AR...

"Bushmaster makes the finest assault rifles out there!"---"I'm sorry sir, but I really can't agree. Give me a Colt, BCM, LMT, or Noveske, and I'll be more than glad to make a deal here"---"COLT? REALLY? The Marine Corps must really have you brainwashed young man... I'll take a quality Bushmaster over a Colt anyday!"

:rolleyes:

Of course there was a misinformed gunshowgoer there to agree with the dealer...

I still got the last laugh anyway in selling my 700 to him for $600... The 700 had terribly tight head space and a marred bolt lug from a gunsmith installing the scope mounts wrong.

Went to a gun shop and bought my wife an M&P 15 Sport for 630. =)

Eurodriver
11-24-11, 19:51
OP lives in California.

Thanks.

Eurodriver
11-24-11, 19:57
Speaking of Bushmaster, I went to a local NC gun show where I was trying to sell my Rem 700 to buy my wife her first AR...

"Bushmaster makes the finest assault rifles out there!"---"I'm sorry sir, but I really can't agree. Give me a Colt, BCM, LMT, or Noveske, and I'll be more than glad to make a deal here"---"COLT? REALLY? The Marine Corps must really have you brainwashed young man... I'll take a quality Bushmaster over a Colt anyday!"

:rolleyes:

Of course there was a misinformed gunshowgoer there to agree with the dealer...

I still got the last laugh anyway in selling my 700 to him for $600... The 700 had terribly tight head space and a marred bolt lug from a gunsmith installing the scope mounts wrong.

Went to a gun shop and bought my wife an M&P 15 Sport for 630. =)

So let me get this straight, because some guy was a dickhead and ignorant you thought it was acceptable to sell him a weapon without full disclosure of its known issues?

...and after all that talk about Colt, BCM, etc...you bought a S&W M&P Sport?

jonbondave
11-24-11, 21:33
So let me get this straight, because some guy was a dickhead and ignorant you thought it was acceptable to sell him a weapon without full disclosure of its known issues?

It's a first gun for his wife!@ wives don't need Colt's and BCM's until they master the starter rifle IMO. For 630.00 it's nota terrible rifle.
I mena, in my humble opinion.

jonbondave
11-24-11, 21:38
Yes he can. I would strip the lower and install a quality LPK. Then I would assess the upper and anything made by BM would go to the trash pile.

But the whole upper is made by BM! so sub standard barrel steel with slower rate of twist, not tested or proofed at all... and a poor excuse for a BCG! I'm not sure which feed ramps they use but I imagine it's rifle ramps. Anyhow, I agree with a quality lower parts kit in the stripped lower, then I'd buy a whole new upper and sell the BM one, someone will buy it.

nynco
11-24-11, 22:07
Just replace the part and sell the whole riffle at a gun show ;)

Zzzake
11-24-11, 23:04
Just replace the part and sell the whole riffle at a gun show ;)

Noooo, he has a pre-ban registered assault rifle. You can NOT get/register them anymore. Do not sell the rifle !!!!

I can only wish to get one even if its a BM :(

nynco
11-24-11, 23:19
A my bad, I missed that in the thread. I should read better :(

Well, my assumption is that all that matters is the lower with that vin. Just sell the upper, get a better one and get a good quality lower parts kit. If I was in your shoes, I would just think of the lower as a start point for a build. But I could be wrong because I don't know calis laws for changing parts.

jonbondave
11-25-11, 00:48
yea, his lower can accept evil black demon rifle features like DUH DUH DUH, a detachable magazine AND a pistol grip!@ AND a flashhider and bayonet lug, all of which make it way more deadly. But seriously, Do NOT sell that lower, strip it. rebuild it and buy a nice upper of your choice.

Iraqgunz
11-25-11, 00:55
I have no idea what stuff they were building in that time frame. The bolt carrier may be fine.

I can guarantee you that some idiot will buy that upper. There are many who don't believe that Bushmaster has any issues.

But the whole upper is made by BM! so sub standard barrel steel with slower rate of twist, not tested or proofed at all... and a poor excuse for a BCG! I'm not sure which feed ramps they use but I imagine it's rifle ramps. Anyhow, I agree with a quality lower parts kit in the stripped lower, then I'd buy a whole new upper and sell the BM one, someone will buy it.

jonbondave
11-25-11, 01:29
Absolutely someone will buy it. The average consumer doesn't have time or inclination to read about spec's and what extra QC tests do, or why they should pay more to have them done to their rifle. Most AR consumers just care that it's black and "looks" like a military gun... Most dont' know that 16 inch carbine gas systems are over gassed, they don't even know what overgassed is. I can't tell you how many people have told me that bushmaster is better than BCM, i've even heard it asserted that their at least on PAR with Colt... plenty of ignoramus consumer's to go around. Hell, I bougth before i did the research, I didn't regret it. I sold the upper from the stag i bought, i didn't even take a hit on it. And i got to work putting together a real AR.

tbaytusmc
11-25-11, 08:08
It's a first gun for his wife!@ wives don't need Colt's and BCM's until they master the starter rifle IMO. For 630.00 it's nota terrible rifle.

This is the exact reason I bought it. My wife doesn't need a $1,500 AR for her first rifle. She really enjoyed shooting my AR and wanted something of her own so we didn't have to keep "trading" at the range. For $630, the only shortcomings I've found in the rifle are the lack of a dustcover and a true forward assist, but when is my wife going to be crawling through the sandbox poppin hajis? Thanks jonbondave.

And @ Eurodriver - I answered all of his questions about the rifle. The tight head spacing doesn't effect safety of the rifle by any means. It just means the bolt doesn't close smoothly over a round, and can be corrected quite easily by a competent gunsmith, which he claimed to be. The bolt lug just had a scratch on it and was open for him to see. He had plenty of time to view the rifle before he bought it, but was in haste himself. On top of all that, if he hadn't been a dickhead, I would have told him about the head space. I don't feel bad about a thing that happened. He made it a point to (try) make me look like a fool for not buying HIS bushmaster.

For the record, if there were ANY safety issues with the rifle, I would not have sold it to anyone before getting them fixed/sending the rifle back to Remington to get those issues fixed.

SORRY FOR OFF-TOPIC!:D

Eurodriver
11-25-11, 08:14
This is the exact reason I bought it. My wife doesn't need a $1,500 AR for her first rifle. She really enjoyed shooting my AR and wanted something of her own so we didn't have to keep "trading" at the range. For $630, the only shortcomings I've found in the rifle are the lack of a dustcover and a true forward assist, but when is my wife going to be crawling through the sandbox poppin hajis? Thanks jonbondave.

And @ Eurodriver - I answered all of his questions about the rifle. The tight head spacing doesn't effect safety of the rifle by any means. It just means the bolt doesn't close smoothly over a round, and can be corrected quite easily by a competent gunsmith, which he claimed to be. The bolt lug just had a scratch on it and was open for him to see. He had plenty of time to view the rifle before he bought it, but was in haste himself. On top of all that, if he hadn't been a dickhead, I would have told him about the head space. I don't feel bad about a thing that happened. He made it a point to (try) make me look like a fool for not buying HIS bushmaster.

For the record, if there were ANY safety issues with the rifle, I would not have sold it to anyone before getting them fixed/sending the rifle back to Remington to get those issues fixed.

SORRY FOR OFF-TOPIC!:D

Thanks for clarying. I never truely by a weapon for my wife. I may say its hers, but its really mine. So BCM is all I ever buy. :laugh:

TehLlama
11-25-11, 09:37
Thanks for clarying. I never truely by a weapon for my wife. I may say its hers, but its really mine. So BCM is all I ever buy. :laugh:

Yeah, somehow I buy smarter things when I do that: i.e. less ridiculous customization and more elegant simple light awesomeness.

I guess this thread is on hold until the OP posts what sort of accessories he has right now, and the inevitability of us saying it's probably smartest to sell those and the upper off to fund a new complete upper, LPK, and magazines. It's like there's a precedent for this sort of thing...

StevenH
11-27-11, 17:30
Have you ever dry fired the firearm with the upper removed? If you do the hammer slams into the bolt catch. Do it enough and you'll crack or break the bolt catch.

nitmr26
11-27-11, 18:01
Ditto, but Colt.

TheBelly
11-27-11, 21:08

Short story: A friend of mine asked me my opinions about ARs, seeing as he was going to purchase his first one. I was fairly flattered by getting asked my advice in these things. I'm no expert, so I tried to steer him right:

Here's the chart. Here's the explanation of each 'feature' of the chart. Do some research and make your decision.

He chose the S&W M&P sport. Again, the price was right for him: $599 + tax. He was pretty happy with his choice, so any attempt by me to dissuade him would have met with great gnashing of teeth. All I could tell him was welcome to the AR world, hopefully you use this rifle to find out what you do/do not like about your particular AR, and I'm more than willing to talk about them at any time.

He knows that I bought a DDM4V1 for a reason, and has asked me for my reasons. He still bought his S&W.

C4IGrant
11-27-11, 21:13
To the OP, have you ever dropped the hammer when the the upper and lower were apart?

This is a common reason for why they break.

C4

30 cal slut
11-28-11, 09:33
OP, if you can provide a pic of the broken part that would be appreciated.

LRB45
11-28-11, 09:51
I'm no expert on ARs but through alot of reading here and elsewhere, I picked up a LMT for my first AR.

That said I have a friend who is former military, current SWAT/LEO and they run Bushmasters and have for a very long time from what he has told me. Never have heard anything negative from him concerning his rifle. Of course maybe the rifle has been properly maintained and upgraded also.

Need to ask for an update though because the last time I talked he said they were going to be getting new rifles. What brand I'm not sure. He is not a real gun guy though, since he hasn't really heard of LMT, let alone the likes of LaRue or Noveske.

Brian1/75
11-28-11, 11:58
OP, if you can provide a pic of the broken part that would be appreciated.

I'd be curious about this as well. I've heard bad things about BM, but I would have never guess that would break. During all my time in the military, the only thing I've seen break on a lower were hammer springs and disconnects wearing out. After that, everything else was due to someone tampering with it. I actually bought a RRA parts kit locally figuring a lpk was a lpk and used everything, but the trigger. I might have to rethink that.

Image Group
11-30-11, 02:36
Sorry guys. The BM broke while I was on an assignment in Phoenix and when I packed up to head back to San Diego the broken part found itself a new home and I have no idea where it wound up. It was tucked in a zip lock and stuffed in my soft case. So far the lower consists of
BCM Lower w/stock USGI trigger (from G&R)
H2 Buffer/Standard carbine spring
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul CTR stock

I'm looking at a Noveske QD endplate

The upper is still stock. Yeah I know....but I wanted to burn through it and see just how long it would hold out. It's done a surprisingly good job to date.
I am looking forward to replacing it with a Noveske Receiver, 14.5" Noveske barrel, AAC 51T flash hider, Switch Block, Troy VTAC Forearm, Noveske Fold Down Sights once it dies on me. I'm going to ad a BAD to it to replace the BM part. Thanks for all your input.

duece71
11-30-11, 05:10
OP,
How about keeping this thread going with a round count and parts breakage/replacement as you go?

OMD
12-02-11, 02:06
A bit off topic, but to the OP, here is a good legal FAQ on transporting or selling a RAW:

http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/faq.html?view=category&layout=categorylist&task=lists&catid=4

Spiffums
12-02-11, 19:14

What is the often said "for just a few hundred more you coulda had" :haha:

jonbondave
12-03-11, 03:00
What is the often said "for just a few hundred more you coulda had" :haha:

well, with a few exceptions MOST firearms will lose value. either way, when it's time to upgrade, no problem... sell the upper, buy a BCM... easy breezy stuff. That's the beauty of buying even a "crappy" AR, as long as the lower is within spec you can easily upgrade the important stuff !