PDA

View Full Version : Volund Gearworks Atlas Belt

orionz06
11-24-11, 10:57
There aren't too many things to come along and spark me to want to start a thread over but this belt is one of the few. I spied them on Facebook through another friends company and was instantly drawn towards what I hoped would be my next belt. I have had belts made by all the people everyone is thinking about but they just don't work out for me like they do for others.

Stiffness: I wanted a stiff belt but found other belts to be too stiff. Some were perfect. This is pretty damned close. It can hold up a gun and some mags like many of the other great belts. What this doesn't do is cut into me like I felt others doing. I have sold off all my other cobra buckle type belts so I am unable to make a direct comparison but this feels a little better.

Ease of use: It wasn't until the cobra buckle belts came along that belts became a pain in the ass to use. This belt is easier to use but you lose the (in)convenience of the cobra buckle. That is a plus for me, I found them to be a major pain in the ass. The pals spacing on the non-buckle end can be a little tough to thread through some gear but nothing outrageous. There is also nothing to lose unlike the male buckle end on some cobra belts.

Noise: Not that it matters to everyone but I hated taking care of business and having a belt chatter the whole time. This is silent.

Quality: Seems very well made, much like all the other belts out there. There is no drop in quality when you buy from someone else as others would have you believe.

Overall: This belt has replaced my wilderness 5 stitch. I wore the two back and forth for a little over a month now carrying all kinds of crap and keep coming back to the Atlas belt. I think it is the belt I was looking for as I find the cobra buckle belts to be more work than needed. That is not to say the other belts suck, there are lots of well made belts out there. Bottom line is this belt should be added to any list of good belts.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/1f30a635.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/18a9f1e6.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/270df6e4.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/6e26d224.jpg

I am not associated with Volund Gearworks.

To my knowledge their website is in progress and not quite ready. I found them through Facebook.

Irish
02-10-12, 16:29
My thoughts, impressions and experience mirror Orionz's. The Volund Atlas has replaced my Wilderness belt and is now my everyday carry belt.

awm14hp
02-10-12, 16:37
I am still testing it totally but love the belt so far no issues and its alot easier than my big double thick leather used to be.

SteveL
02-10-12, 17:09
Interesting. I like the way it buckles. Do you mind telling what you paid for it?

awm14hp
02-10-12, 17:11
Interesting. I like the way it buckles. Do you mind telling what you paid for it?
Mine was 45 delivered I think I will double check when I get home

SteveL
02-10-12, 17:58
Mine was 45 delivered I think I will double check when I get home

Not bad. Thanks.

duece71
02-11-12, 00:58
Looks good.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-11-12, 06:05
Hmm, this couldnt of come up at a better time.

I have been talking to Jake at Ares for awhile about ordering his belt. I worry that it will be uncomfortable due to the stiffness. I also worry I will get annoyed with working around the cobra buckle, and that it SCREAMS "CCW" to those in the know. But, I want something more stiff than my Wilderness Instructors belt.

So, in comes this belt. My worries about the Atlas are that it isnt that much stiffer than a Wilderness Instructor belt, and that the velcro securing system will wear out.

I have also been trying to find a belt mfg that can make a belt in MCMAP Brown so I can wear it while deployed, but so far Ares cant do it and wilderness doesnt offer a brown either. I emailed Volund, I hope they can accomodate.

Shawn.L
02-11-12, 06:11
so it still does the whole both ends overlap at the front of the belt thing and a thin outside strap is what attaches like the cobra buckle belts do ?

I found that set up, no matter how stiff, to give close to no support up front where I load most everything (AIWB, blade) unless I offset the buckle to the side.
which is a PITA, and gives me no more functional difference than any other belt.

rob_s
02-11-12, 06:12
I keep meaning to order one of these to try, but keep forgetting.

I wear a Jones 1.5" EDC belt (1.5" Cobra buckle) daily and don't really understand the difficulty some people seem to have operating that system platform, but I think the Volund has some interesting aspects I'd like to try.

Steve S.
02-11-12, 08:46
Hmm, this couldnt of come up at a better time.

I have been talking to Jake at Ares for awhile about ordering his belt. I worry that it will be uncomfortable due to the stiffness. I also worry I will get annoyed with working around the cobra buckle, and that it SCREAMS "CCW" to those in the know. But, I want something more stiff than my Wilderness Instructors belt.

So, in comes this belt. My worries about the Atlas are that it isnt that much stiffer than a Wilderness Instructor belt, and that the velcro securing system will wear out.

I have also been trying to find a belt mfg that can make a belt in MCMAP Brown so I can wear it while deployed, but so far Ares cant do it and wilderness doesnt offer a brown either. I emailed Volund, I hope they can accomodate.

Myself and another here have been testing the Atlas for a bit. I'll give it a proper review, but I like it. It's more unique.

As far as stiffer then your 5 stitch, it probably isn't. I don't view this as a bad thing necessarily though. It's a very thin and low profile belt. The buckle is nearly non existent. It has enough stiffness for any CCW purposes though.

As for matching the Marine Corps brown, that may be tough. Try contacting Kary Welch of Endeavor Stitch Works. He gets a whole lot of colors in - including MARPAT. Some of the weird ATACS and shit too. For deployment, or any use really, I whole heartedly recommend the standard Riggers in 1.5" or 1.75" over the 1" buckled style (Ares Ranger, Jones EDB, etc). This isn't a shot at either company, especially since they both offer some bad ass Riggers belts.

I keep meaning to order one of these to try, but keep forgetting.

I wear a Jones 1.5" EDC belt (1.5" Cobra buckle) daily and don't really understand the difficulty some people seem to have operating that system platform, but I think the Volund has some interesting aspects I'd like to try.

Some people don't like removing the buckle. On Cobra belts, you have to remove the buckle to thread gear. My issue isn't as much with getting it on, it's just I don't think the EDB style does anything better then a standard Cobra Riggers, and a few things worse.

Irish
02-11-12, 09:12
One of the things I like best about the belt is that it is much lighter than my Wilderness Instructor belt due to losing the boat anchor belt buckle.

rob_s
02-11-12, 09:12
I don't think the EDB style does anything better then a standard Cobra Riggers, and a few things worse.

I don't understand this sentence.

Steve S.
02-11-12, 10:37
I don't understand this sentence.

As in the concept or terminology?

rob_s
02-11-12, 11:10
By "EDB" are you referring to a "Ranger" style with 1.5" webbing and 1" buckle, and by standard Cobra you mean a 1.5" webbing and 1.5" buckle?

Steve S.
02-11-12, 11:42
By "EDB" are you referring to a "Ranger" style with 1.5" webbing and 1" buckle, and by standard Cobra you mean a 1.5" webbing and 1.5" buckle?

Exactly. For lack of a universal term, I've coined the Ares Ranger style the 1.5"/1".

I should have said Cobra Riggers, but there's also a lack of universal terminology there. Technically, that would refer to having the offset V or D ring to click into - which doesn't matter much for CCW.

JSantoro
02-12-12, 00:33
Two weeks in, I'm definitely liking it. Rigid enough to easily support my EDC stuff, but not the kind of crazy-rigid my Ares Ranger sports (still love the Ares belt for 2X AR/2X pistol mags and a pistol for taking/teaching classes; the rigidity shines, then).

I, also, don't get the gripes about how "complicated" a belt is when it comes to what one needs to do to thread into loops or take a dump, as mentioned by those that will still use the belt they're describing as such. If it's that big a PITA, the logical COA is to change to a different belt. Not like there ain't plenty of options out there.

I mean....it's BELT LOOPS, for the love of Ned. They'll be complicated when they require a damned CPU to successfully interface with a belt; until then, somebody's definitions are kinda screwy, or they need to open and drink a can of "Man." :p

...much lighter than my Wilderness Instructor belt due to losing the boat anchor belt buckle.

I don't tend to notice weight, but losing the bulk of a two-ring, Cobra, or riggers-type buckle is definitely nice, in general, and particularly if I have to offset the buckle for some reason. No more hot-spot over my hip bones, yay! How a simpler buckle impacts the price of the thing is a definite perk, too! $45 is not too shabby.

Though, for the first time in years...I probably should have ordered the medium instead of the large. :eek: I'm using the last of the 4 PALS loops both with AND without an IWB holster. I can't tighten the thing at all with the two innermost loops.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-12-12, 12:47
Ive got a black one on order now, made with a sizing range of 34-40. He's got some brown webbing coming sometime in the future, and if the color is right I'll order one too.

Irish
02-13-12, 08:56
Though, for the first time in years...I probably should have ordered the medium instead of the large. :eek: I'm using the last of the 4 PALS loops both with AND without an IWB holster. I can't tighten the thing at all with the two innermost loops.

I'm in the same boat. I typically wear a 36" waist size in jeans and the Large is slightly too large. I contacted Matt and he's making everything right, suggest you do the same, he's a really good guy.

bdcheung
02-13-12, 09:17
I got a Medium and could have done fine with a Small. My waist is between 30-32" and I've got the G-hook on the last (innermost) PALS web, plus the nylon strap is cinched all the way down.

JSantoro
02-13-12, 09:29
I contacted Matt and he's making everything right, suggest you do the same, he's a really good guy.

Forgive me if I merely use it to kid myself into thinking I'm not as fat as I am! :D

Gonna stick for the moment, and see what shakes out as I (...if I...) shed my winter layer of suet. I'm not straddling the edges of adjustability, else I'd see about trading out. If I need to, I have a buddy nearby who'll fit this belt better and is interested to buy it off me so I can get a Med, if/when the time comes.

DWood
02-14-12, 17:48
I e mailed Matt last night and told him the details of the belt I want and asked him to invoice PayPal. He answered back shortly that my order was in and should be about a week.

He said there must have been a lot of "Internet chatter" becuase he receive a large number of orders over the weekend. I told him of this thread.

I'm interested because of the adjustability + the low profile, one piece buckle.

brit
02-14-12, 18:22
I've been wearing mine for 3 weeks as my work and weekend belt. I really like the adaptability and it has replaced the others.

afd77
02-16-12, 13:05
I ordered Saturday via e-mail, and was told a week. Got a shipping notice yesterday.

rob_s
02-16-12, 13:10
I ordered Saturday via e-mail, and was told a week. Got a shipping notice yesterday.

same here. more or less. Got an invoice via PP, then a shipping notice right after I paid. Good stuff.

afd77
02-16-12, 13:16
same here. more or less. Got an invoice via PP, then a shipping notice right after I paid. Good stuff.

Yep. Pretty impressed so far. I had some questions before I ordered that I addressed via e-mail. They were fast to respond and quite helpful.

VolGrad
02-16-12, 13:37
I've been using these belts for a month or two now I guess and am quite happy. In fact, I sold off a couple of Wilderness belts after receiving these. I feel that strongly about them.

I still like the Wilderness style belt. I just like these better.

Shawn.L
02-16-12, 13:48
so it still does the whole both ends overlap at the front of the belt thing and a thin outside strap is what attaches like the cobra buckle belts do ?

I found that set up, no matter how stiff, to give close to no support up front where I load most everything (AIWB, blade) unless I offset the buckle to the side.
which is a PITA, and gives me no more functional difference than any other belt.

got to handle Orion's today, I didnt realize it had a loop up front that supports the overlapping portion. Looks like it may just work out for appendix after all.

Irish
02-16-12, 13:49
Looks like it may just work out for appendix after all.

It works very well for AIWB.

TAZ
02-16-12, 14:47
Where are I guys getting the belts from. I feel kind of retarded as I can't find a dealer that sells them. I'm obviously doing it wrong.

Irish
02-16-12, 14:58
Where are I guys getting the belts from. I feel kind of retarded as I can't find a dealer that sells them. I'm obviously doing it wrong.

Email Matt directly. http://volundgearworks.com/contact/

afd77
02-16-12, 15:00

I just e-mailed them directly. Their site lists two dealers, but both are local shops and don't have online sales.

www.volundgearworks.com

awm14hp
02-16-12, 17:41
I just e-mailed them directly. Their site lists two dealers, but both are local shops and don't have online sales.

www.volundgearworks.com

Those are local to him I think Matt will hook you up if you email him tell him what you need

afd77
02-17-12, 08:57
Just received mine this morning. My initial impressions are pretty good. Time will tell.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-17-12, 11:49
I had Matt create a custom belt for me, put my order in last week. I just got an email saying its ready. That is pretty fantastic. Shipping usually takes about a month out here, so I'll report back when it is here.

awm14hp
02-20-12, 10:08
I had Matt create a custom belt for me, put my order in last week. I just got an email saying its ready. That is pretty fantastic. Shipping usually takes about a month out here, so I'll report back when it is here.

What is custom if you dont mind me asking??

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-20-12, 12:39
What is custom if you dont mind me asking??

Basically a size range he didnt offer. 34-40. Should give me more room for the summer six packs and the winter kegs. He's also sending a swatch of a brown color he may be able to snag as I refuse to ever wear a tan belt again.

DWood
02-20-12, 13:55
I received my invoice yesterday from an order I placed 6 days ago. Impressive turn around time.

ra2bach
02-21-12, 13:54
not that this is designed as a riggers belt, but how strong is the G-hook closure?

I also have some concerns about the associated webbing that the hook attaches to. it is secured only by the stitching - seems a loop of the webbing, doubled back and stitched would be stronger for the hook to attach to?..

Mr blasty
02-21-12, 15:44
not that this is designed as a riggers belt, but how strong is the G-hook closure?

I also have some concerns about the associated webbing that the hook attaches to. it is secured only by the stitching - seems a loop of the webbing, doubled back and stitched would be stronger for the hook to attach to?..

Just got mine and put it on about 5 minutes ago. It's freaking awesome! The hook seems plenty strong and solid steel. It's about 2mm thick and has a good amount of material to it's dimensions. The webbing it hooks to is thick enough and has very beefy stitching. First impressions scream bomb proof for this belt. Shipping and ordering were super fast. If it performs well I'm planning on buying several before Volund goes the way of kydex holster makers as word spreads.:blink:

bdcheung
02-21-12, 15:47
I'll have a MEDIUM black belt for sale here pretty soon. It's too big for me, so I am ordering a small.

tango-papa
02-22-12, 22:51
Going to place an order for one of these Atlas belts.

All my pants are size 36" waist; I carry a Glock 19 IWB and any/all additional gear (magazine/light/et.al.) OWB.

I was initially thinking the size large (36-42).
However, based on the comments in this thread, perhaps a size medium and/or a "custom size (as in LowSpeed_HighDrag's 34-40) would be best?

Those of you that went large and then to medium, yay or nay?

What say you?

tp

Irish
02-22-12, 22:53
TP - I wear the same size pants and went with the large. I'll be getting a medium instead and suggest that's what you go with as well from reading your post.

SWATcop556
02-22-12, 22:54
After talking with JSantoro I would go with a medium.

tango-papa
02-22-12, 23:01
TP - I wear the same size pants and went with the large. I'll be getting a medium instead and suggest that's what you go with as well from reading your post.

Thank you - was gonna ask what you ended up with.

tp

tango-papa
02-22-12, 23:05

Have you received your custom sized 34-40 belt yet?
If so, how's it fit/working for you?

tp

Ironman8
02-24-12, 06:49
I guess I'm a little late to the party, but I was wondering how's the adjustability? Meaning, are the "loops" where the G-hook hooks on to, spaced out appropriately, or is there alot of length from one hook point to the next? It just seemed from the pics that they were spaced slightly far apart...

Also, how does the coyote color match up with everyday type of clothing when compared to the standard brown leather belt? Obviously doesn't make a differnence if your shirt is untucked, but has anyone ever noticed the belt as being "different"? (all I've ever used is leather, so the "EDC" nylon belts are a bit different for me and I don't know if they tend to "stand out"....)

orionz06
02-24-12, 06:53
There is no issue with the adjustability. The loops are spaced decently and you can tweak the hook location in or out and have a different length tail if you wanted.

This of course assumes you are honest with yourself and buy the appropriate size. Just because you wore a medium in highschool and you are back down to your "playing weight" doesn't mean you still wear a medium.

/Rant.

I don't sell belts but I see enough issues with people posting in places and can only conclude people just buy the wrong damned size because they are stubborn and when it doesn't fit them they blame the mfg and not themselves.

rob_s
02-24-12, 07:43
I guess I'm a little late to the party, but I was wondering how's the adjustability? Meaning, are the "loops" where the G-hook hooks on to, spaced out appropriately, or is there alot of length from one hook point to the next? It just seemed from the pics that they were spaced slightly far apart...

Also, how does the coyote color match up with everyday type of clothing when compared to the standard brown leather belt? Obviously doesn't make a differnence if your shirt is untucked, but has anyone ever noticed the belt as being "different"? (all I've ever used is leather, so the "EDC" nylon belts are a bit different for me and I don't know if they tend to "stand out"....)

I initially misunderstood this as well. They should post a video of how you put it on. The tail that runs off to the left is not stiched in, it runs through the clip so you can take up the slack. So you let it out a little, hook it on the molle that you want it on, then pull the tail back to tighten it further and secure the tail with the velcro that's on it and that portion of the belt.

not sure if that makes sense or not.

JSantoro
02-24-12, 10:31
This of course assumes you are honest with yourself and buy the appropriate size. Just because you wore a medium in highschool and you are back down to your "playing weight" doesn't mean you still wear a medium.

Fact!

Imagine my shock when I ended up erring too far on the side of generosity....

My belt fits, but I'm on the outermost loop, when logic/evidence indicates the I should probably be finding the most use out of the middle two loops, between OWB/no gun and IWB adjustments.

The result of what I have is that I have a lot of belt-tail, underneath. Carrying @ 3oclock, not a big deal...but I'm delving into AIWB, and the tail is interfering with certain aspects and comfort.

More precisely, if I wear the belt in the "traditional" manner....buckle in the vicinity of my centerline...there's interference. If I can't fiddle/adjust my way out of it, I simply need to get a Med belt.

Irish
02-24-12, 10:37
The result of what I have is that I have a lot of belt-tail, underneath. Carrying @ 3oclock, not a big deal...but I'm delving into AIWB, and the tail is interfering with certain aspects and comfort.

I'm sure you've tried this or thought about it but just thought I'd throw it out there. When carrying AIWB with the nylon belts, like the Wilderness, it's very comfortable to put the buckle at 2:30 or 4:30 and it completely take the excess tail out of the equation, depending on what direction you thread the belt and assuming you're right handed. I've found the same thing holds true with the Atlas or you can shift it slightly to the left with AIWB if you're not carrying a mag carrier at the typical 9 o'clock position.

rob_s
02-24-12, 10:40
I'm sure you've tried this or thought about it but just thought I'd throw it out there. When carrying AIWB with the nylon belts, like the Wilderness, it's very comfortable to put the buckle at 2:30 or 4:30 and it completely take the excess tail out of the equation, depending on what direction you thread the belt and assuming you're right handed. I've found the same thing holds true with the Atlas or you can shift it slightly to the left with AIWB if you're not carrying a mag carrier at the typical 9 o'clock position.

With jeans, are you putting the elastic band on the Atlas to the left of your left-front belt loop or in between the two front belt loops?

I have mine on now and between today and the other days I've worn it I'm finding a lot of bulk with all the overlapping nylon. Hell, I'd bet I have at least as much standoff from my pants in stacked nylon as a Cobra buckle offers. I'll have to measure when I get home. That'd be ironic.

Irish
02-24-12, 11:43
With jeans, are you putting the elastic band on the Atlas to the left of your left-front belt loop or in between the two front belt loops?

I have mine on now and between today and the other days I've worn it I'm finding a lot of bulk with all the overlapping nylon. Hell, I'd bet I have at least as much standoff from my pants in stacked nylon as a Cobra buckle offers. I'll have to measure when I get home. That'd be ironic.

For me the elastic part is to the left but touching my left belt loop with the G hook centered. One of the nicest features in my opinion is how little the belt weighs due to using the G hook instead of the typical rappelling type buckle.

I've never worn a Cobra buckle but the couple inches of overlap doesn't bother me. If it were that thick all the way around there'd be big problems but it's just the way the belt works and I don't think there's anyway of avoiding it.

I really like the Atlas and Matt's customer service is outstanding. I met in person in Vegas, had a few beers with him, and he's a genuinely good guy as well. I wouldn't hesitate to send somebody his way for business.

Steve S.
02-24-12, 13:12

I thought you mentioned elsewhere wearing a Jones EDB?

The atlas has a single layer of scuba wrapped in some thin (forget the name - Matt had told me. I'll edit later) nylon material. Two layers of this material are definitely thinner then a layer of scuba.

So the Atlas has two stacked layers of scuba and four stacked layers of thin nylon (essentially making 3 layers of scuba) with a small G Hook buckle above the penis region. The Jones EDB has 4 layers of scuba, 1 layer of accent, and a 1" cobra buckle (which are "taller" then the 1.5" / 1.75" cobra buckles).

I'd bet that a Jones EDB or Ares Ranger has nearly twice the amount of material / buckle height in front of the pants button.

If talking about a 1.5" or 1.75" Cobra, I think it would be much closer. And you very well may be talking about a Cobra Shooters Belt.

rob_s
02-24-12, 13:18
I don't wear an EDB, or whatever Ares calls his, for that exact reason. I wear this (http://jonestactical.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50:cobra-shooters-belt-csb-15&catid=2&Itemid=44) which only leaves the thickness of the buckle itself. However since I've started carrying OWB more I'm increasingly annoyed by the "how stiff can we get our shit" movement in the belt world.

Steve S.
02-24-12, 13:23
http://img.tapatalk.com/452fc624-e12f-0a8a.jpg
Put belt on. No need to remove buckle.

http://img.tapatalk.com/452fc624-e15a-d7ea.jpg
Tuck the side with the PALS loops tail into the keeper strap located inside the buckle side of the belt.
http://img.tapatalk.com/452fc624-e1dd-23bc.jpg
Hook the G Hook into desired PALS slot for macro adjustment.
http://img.tapatalk.com/452fc624-e247-2252.jpg
Put your left hand on the buckle side of the belt. Grip the belt hard around 9 o'clock on the waist line. With your right hand, grab the 1" tail. With a firm grip with the left hand, pull the tail in your right hand as hard as you can - pulling towards the left hand. Secure tail via hook and loop (Velcro) on the left side.

If I can figure out YouTube videos from my phone, I'll make a quick one and post a link. The only tricky part is tightening it. But once you get the hang of it, you can really tighten this thing down. It allows it to get tighter then any belt I've tried. It's pretty easy to make it uncomfortably tight.

Steve S.
02-24-12, 13:31
I don't wear an EDB, or whatever Ares calls his, for that exact reason. I wear this (http://jonestactical.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50:cobra-shooters-belt-csb-15&catid=2&Itemid=44) which only leaves the thickness of the buckle itself. However since I've started carrying OWB more I'm increasingly annoyed by the "how stiff can we get our shit" movement in the belt world.

Gotcha. In my opinion, that set up is the perfect belt. The 1.5" Cobra is my go-to. In that case, you may in fact be right. I'd be interested to see those measurements myself.

Couldn't agree more. It's reaching a level of full retard as far as belt stiffness goes. I've found I prefer Coyote Type 13 webbing. Still stiff enough to support just about anything, but flexible enough to be comfortable. Oddly, I find the 1.75" version more comfortable - as far as the webbing is concerned - but the 1.75" Cobra buckle is a big mofo.

I honestly don't understand what the EDB / Ranger belt does better then other belts. I find them a PITA and mine just sit and collect dust. The Atlas uses a similar concept, but it cuts down bulk within the webbing and a lot within the buckle. This to me presents a good, feasible alternative to the Cobra belts.

Irish
02-24-12, 13:37
As I'm typing this on my phone at SFO I remembered another great feature for frequent flyers like myself, the Atlas is metal detector friendly and there's no reason to remove it at security.

However, I don't know if they would make you remove it to go through the cancer causing porno machine, I don't go through it, but my guess would be yes.

bdcheung
02-24-12, 14:25
My wife hates the Atlas belt. She hates all of my gun belts, actually. Something about them being too difficult for her to remove.

Kevin P
02-24-12, 16:51
I have one of these belts on the way.

Can anyone with an atlas tell me if you can rotate the belt on your waist without the buckle or anything getting caught on the belt loops?

I had a 1.5inch cobra buckle belt and I would prefer a belt were I could offset the buckle to my side by being able to rotate it on my waist. The cobra buckles would not make it through the belt buckles on my pants.

JSantoro
02-24-12, 17:11
Gonna depend a bit upon your loops, but I'll cautiously say "yes."

The G-hook may get snagged on a loop, but will pass under the loops on the various trousers I wear (Vertex, Columbia, Mountain Hardware; I don't wear jeans).

Where the tail doubles up the thickness of the belt, it'll still go, but it can be a squeeze.

FYI, it gets harder if you're dumb like me and do it with a holster attached.

Also, don't velcro the bitter end of the adjuster OVER a loop, forget about it, and then stand there muttering "...WHY won't it MOVE...!? ....oh...." :jester:

Steve S.
02-24-12, 17:25
My wife hates the Atlas belt. She hates all of my gun belts, actually. Something about them being too difficult for her to remove.

Even a cobra belt? Just unclick and "go". Just like a seat belt. Easier then non gun belts.

Shawn.L
02-24-12, 19:19
got my pp invoice today, pretty damn quick....... until everyone catches on I guess.

I'll see once its in how it works for my rather specific needs. Ive tried a great many belts.

Ironman8
02-24-12, 21:17
I initially misunderstood this as well. They should post a video of how you put it on. The tail that runs off to the left is not stiched in, it runs through the clip so you can take up the slack. So you let it out a little, hook it on the molle that you want it on, then pull the tail back to tighten it further and secure the tail with the velcro that's on it and that portion of the belt.

not sure if that makes sense or not.

Thanks for the reply Rob. That explains it very well.

Still trying to decide if this is something I really "need" though. I carry pretty much every day and have never really had a problem with a JCPenny leather belt special lol...but I'm sure that would be a different story if I carried OWB instead of in.

Kevin P
02-24-12, 23:31
Gonna depend a bit upon your loops, but I'll cautiously say "yes."

The G-hook may get snagged on a loop, but will pass under the loops on the various trousers I wear (Vertex, Columbia, Mountain Hardware; I don't wear jeans).

Where the tail doubles up the thickness of the belt, it'll still go, but it can be a squeeze.

FYI, it gets harder if you're dumb like me and do it with a holster attached.

Also, don't velcro the bitter end of the adjuster OVER a loop, forget about it, and then stand there muttering "...WHY won't it MOVE...!? ....oh...." :jester:

OK cool, thats what it seems like but was just wondering. I like the fact that the buckle is not huge.

Ill post back in this thread when i get it and try it out for a little bit.

rob_s
02-25-12, 06:38
Thanks for the reply Rob. That explains it very well.

Still trying to decide if this is something I really "need" though. I carry pretty much every day and have never really had a problem with a JCPenny leather belt special lol...but I'm sure that would be a different story if I carried OWB instead of in.

I went from department store belts to leather "gunbelts" from the likes of Galco and Andrews pretty quickly when I got my permit. I still watch people struggle with "good enough" belts at matches, classes, and practice nights and am glad I got away from that quickly. I've never really understood the refusal on some people's parts to adopt at least one quality gunbelt, whether leather or nylon. I guess people are cheap, or it's part of the whole "I'm less tacticaler than you" movement/attitude but my Andrews leather belt that I bought in... 1998 or so is still going strong.

After all of my experiences with belts the two I'd still suggest people start with are the Wilderness (http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2309&parent=142) in nylon and the beltman (http://thebeltman.net/bh112.htm) in leather. Start with 1.5" in either case, I don't even bother with 1.75" pants belts anymore. If neither of those do it for you then branch out and look at things like the various Cobra belts, this Volund, etc. I have a wall rack full of belts hanging from it so I've tried just about everything at this point. Compared to guns they are cheap. :D

pr1042
02-25-12, 12:08
Been wearing mine for a few days now. Construction and quality is very good but not sure if it's for me. It's low profile and very comfortable but the buckle has been a pain for me when needing to go to the restroom. Not sure if I'm missing something here or not....

I'm used to wearing a 1.75 cobra belt for work so will give it some time but leaning towards just picking up a 1.5 cobra from endeavor soon. I can thread my gear and have the cobra belt on in a few seconds whereas this takes longer to get everything on and adjusted properly.

afd77
02-27-12, 13:48
I've worn mine everyday for about a week and a half. I carry IWB and this belt has worked great for me. The hook closure definitely takes some getting used to, but I can get it hooked and unhooked pretty quickly now. I don't think this will be everybody's cup of tea, but I like them enough I ordered a second one so I can keep one at work.

tuck
02-29-12, 15:03
I just got mine in the mail today. The quality of the construction and stitching is bomber. I'll post an update after I log some miles with it.

Steve S.
03-01-12, 14:17
Gotta ask for the Per-Sec Mod ;-)

1.75" Black with Coyote that wraps fully around. Looks a lot better then not having it wrapped around IMHO.

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefce11d-d940-f6b9.jpg

JohnnyC
03-05-12, 10:45
Something to think about, I tested this today going through the airport. The belt doesn't set off the metal detector but if you go through the RapidScan the TSA weenies start to twitch and will ask you to run it through the x-ray. It works out pretty well for travel if you stick to the metal detectors. I think the RapidScan deal will wig out with any belt so a Wilderness Frequent Flyer wouldn't be any better. Overall I'm very happy with both of the belts I ordered.

Shawn.L
03-05-12, 11:19
Had mine for a week now, and the loop in front where the belt overlaps is perfect to support a AIWB carried pistol with a low enough buckle profile (ie: almost none) and being thin and yet ridged its really got me in a "wow" phase.
I think I found my belt solution to my carry set up.

Kevin P
03-05-12, 13:56
I just received my Atlas this weekend. I prefer it to my 1.5 inch cobra belt. The stiffness is right on the money. This is a comfortable belt.

One of the best features of this belt is the low profile buckle. I really like the ability to be able to put the belt on and rotate the belt. The belt is able to pass underneath the belt loops without getting hung up or stuck on the belt loops. This helps when I need to offset the belt to be able to run gear in different areas on the belt without taking it off to rethread it through the belt loops in the different location on my body.

I will order another a little later down the road. I like the design of this belt. Good stuff!

dwheelock
03-05-12, 15:40
It's been just over a week now for me and i'm really liking the setup. Very comfortable, right amount of stiffness, and my favorite part is how low pro the whole setup actually is. I don't mind the buckle-hook, after a few days it becomes fairly easy. Being in the auto industry it is very nice to be able to rotate all metal away from the front of my pants, keeping those cars scratch free!

DWood
03-10-12, 09:38
Deleted, don't want to send the wrong message.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-10-12, 11:05
Ive had the Atlas since the 6th. I think I may ahve lost more weight on this deployment than I thought, as a 34 is almost too big for me (6' 205 lbs as I stand right now, usually have a 32-34" waist.). With that said, I can still tighten the belt down. Its slightly more rigid than my Wilderness Instructor belt, which is nice. The buckle-into-loop set up is hard to get used to, but Im learning. I really like how low pro it is, and having the ability to rotate the belt in the loops is nice.

Are you guys wearing the buckle directly in the gig line or do you have it rotated?

SeriousStudent
03-11-12, 22:43
I just ordered a belt from Matt. Very nice guy, returning emails over the weekend.

SWATcop556
03-12-12, 23:06
Are you guys wearing the buckle directly in the gig line or do you have it rotated?

When I have my gear OWB at 3 o'clock I have the buckle centered up but if I'm carrying AIWB (been playing with the RCS VG2) I offset it to the left at about 10-11 o'clock. So far it's working well.

SeriousStudent
03-23-12, 22:28
I received my belt in about a week, from the time I ordered it until I had it in my hands. Very speedy, compared to many other folks.

The stitching is very good, precise and well made. The belt is comfortable yet rigid enough for carry purposes.

Like the others have mentioned, the low-profile buckle system is a real plus. No large heavy buckle system, and it does not convey "gun belt" like a Wilderness belt does.

I loaned it to a friend for a day, and he's ordering one on payday.

I'll still keep my other belts from Rafter S, Bulman Leather and the Wilderness, but this one will be the primary. I'm ordering a second one in khaki to wear to church.

Recommended.

TheJRK
03-28-12, 08:03
I'm a slim guy, 75"/175lb, with a 32" waist... do you guys recommend a size small?

I carry a Sig 229 at the 4 o'clock position IWB.

bdcheung
03-28-12, 10:22
I'm a slim guy, 75"/175lb, with a 32" waist... do you guys recommend a size small?

I'm 5'10", 145lbs, 30-31" waist, and the medium was too big for me. Small is just right.

tuck
03-28-12, 11:00

You might be better off with a medium. I'm also a 32" waist and carry a G26 IWB at 4 o'clock and 1 o'clock. A medium on me snugs down plenty tight with and without a holster.

Odie Dozer
03-28-12, 13:40
I emailed Matt and asked him before I ordered and he recommended a small and if I wanted to exchange for a medium, I could do that. I wear 31" jeans and the small is perfect, I still have a bunch of adjustment for an IWB. Also, this way you don't have much of an overlap in the front.

Lovin this belt.

JSantoro
03-29-12, 11:43
I don't know if this is a design intent, or just something that I fell as-backwards into.

The part where the tail tucks into its keeper-loop is where the belt doubles in thickness. My recent foray into AIWB has shown that setting the belt up so that the doubled-up portion of the belt rests near where the holster covers the trigger-guard will help draw the butt of the gun inward, toward the belly.

Reduces liklihood of printing to the point that I'm not nearly as concerned as I used to be over wearing either a dark or light-but-ridiculously-voluminous cover-garment.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9445/covergarment.jpg

Liking this belt....

TheJRK
04-03-12, 16:17
Thanks for all the input... I put in an order for a medium. Matt also recommended a medium after I contacted him.

TheJRK
04-09-12, 20:23
I put in an order for a belt on April 3rd and the belt arrived at my house on April 7th.

Been wearing it since then and it's extremely comfortable. Doesn't dig into my hip like other belts did. I'm going to use it for a defensive pistol class in a few weeks and see how it feels.

Wake27
04-19-12, 15:43
I just emailed him for 2, a black 1.5" and a coyote 1.75". I'm starting to get into all of my support gear now, so I'm waiting on a holster for my 1911 and have a few for my Glock. My CCW license should be here in the next 10-15 days, and I'm planning on taking a class or 2 and getting into so low-key shoots this summer so we'll see how they do. I wanted something very low-key for CCW which is what really attracted me to this belt, along with the price and quick turnaround times being reported. Way better than waiting for a Jones...

EDIT - 15 minutes later (1700 on a Thursday) I get a confirmation email saying "order is in the pipe." Nice.

Shokr21
04-19-12, 17:59
ordered last night at 10pm. Got an email from him this morning at 10am, said my order was in the pipe. Another email at 4pm with a pp invoice. 4:30 pm shipping label notification.

I'm impressed with the CS to say the least, now I just can't wait to get my mitts on it.

Shawn.L
04-19-12, 20:06
Ive lost a bunch of weight so I just ordered a new smaller belt :)
If anyone is interested in my Medium Coyote drop me a PM before I list it here, barley used. Id go $30 shipped CONUS but I wont send until I get my new one.

Sold !

Wake27
04-19-12, 21:14
Ive lost a bunch of weight so I just ordered a new smaller belt :)
If anyone is interested in my Medium Coyote drop me a PM before I list it here, barley used. Id go $30 shipped CONUS but I wont send until I get my new one.

Dammit, I should have waited. Oh well, I'm not gonna cancel on him, I'm sure someone will pick yours up.

Wake27
04-28-12, 03:49
Mine came in at the other house yesterday. Definitely excited to check them out, especially since these are my first dedicated belts.

dave5339
04-28-12, 06:05
I got mine yesterday! Holy crap but that was quick.

Extremely nice belt, very well made. Put it on and promptly forgot it was there, it was that comfortable.

Will see how it does with a 45 sometime tomorrow probably.

Semper Fi

Twisted10
04-28-12, 09:59
I got mine today.

I asked for a 1.75 and got a 1.5

Although, Im not sure the 1.75 will work w/ all my pants/shorts/jeans. I emailed Matt but am going to check the rest of my pants to be sure before I decide if im keeping it.

Nice belt though, cant beat the price!

Wake27
05-05-12, 23:39
Had mine for a little while. Awesome belts so far. I love the weight and profile compared to what I can only imagine a cobra would be like. You lose the speed of it obviously, but I think its completely worth it. Especially when you can buy two for the price of one.

Twisted10
05-15-12, 20:18
Just ordered another one. 1.75 in black wrapped in coyote brown.

Its called the atlas plus. Matt said its a little stiffer than the normal belt.

:D

HaydenB
08-02-12, 13:58
Sorry about the necro-post, but my ATLAS+ just came in a few days ago and I had to give my initial impressions.

I haven't had time to put it through its paces yet, but I can say my first impressions of this belt after handling and wearing it for a few days are very positive. From the built quality to the functional design, this belt is exactly what I was looking for; not to mention it was only $51 shipped and the lead time was very short. Also, Volund Gearworks was very good to deal with. I had several questions and I wanted the belt in a custom size (small-med hybrid) and they were very prompt and accommodating.

Overall, as long as it holds up as well as it looks like it will, I would highly recommend looking into Volund Gearworks for a great belt at a good price.

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/hmbillick/IMG_0007-2.jpghttp://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/hmbillick/IMG_0003-3.jpghttp://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/hmbillick/IMG_0001.jpg

Wake27
08-02-12, 15:02
I've worn mine every day since I've gotten it. Still love it, especially for the price. Once I finally get a war belt setup, it'll be perfect to run in conjunction, holding up my pants. Having one cobra on top of another can not be practical, so the low-pro features of this is solid.

mildot
04-13-13, 01:16
I just placed an order, I'm guessing by reading through this thread that the belts are sized on the large size? meaning that the first loop is at the top end of the belts size? is there lots of adjustment? and can the belts go larger if need be? Thanks

420ollie
04-13-13, 11:37
How is the one with the cobra buckle compare to the G hook buckle? I'm trying to decide which to get. Also is the sizing based off pant size or measured by where it will be worn?

Can I get a link to where they got them.

Thanks.

mildot
04-13-13, 11:45
I've been using the Jones Tactical (JT) EDC with the cobra buckle and I wanted to give the Atlas a try. I'm thinking that it will be more comfortable under the battle belt.

Here is the website link;
https://store.volundgearworks.com/

BTW I've just been talking to Matt via email at;
info@volundgearworks.com>

He sorted me out on the sizing and will do the same for you. No worries. Cheers

JSantoro
04-13-13, 21:30
or measured by where it will be worn?

Better to go with this, I think.

When I bought my first one, I went with L, based on pants-size. I ended up having to use the last of the PALS to tighten it up properly, and had a LOT of the belt's tapered end through the keeper; shoulda gotten the M.

Fortunately, SWATcop556 and I were having precisely the opposite fitment problem. Our belts probably waved to each other as they passed in the mail. The M is perfect.

Tape-measure over the waistband of your pants; if you carry IWB, measure over the holster. Select size accordingly.

If you end up wrong, ping them for a swap. All the folks I know that've had to do that have found Volund pretty easy to deal with.

Up1911fan
04-13-13, 23:06
This is by far my favorite belt for AIWB. FWIW I have a 31" waist and needed to send a medium back for a small.

mildot
04-14-13, 00:14
I talked to Matt, these guys have great CS, he sorted me out about the size, I ordered last night,late,and it shipped today!! Can't beat that!.

After talking to Matt, the sizing seems consistence with my JT EDC belt, so my first pick was G2G. He told me to measure a belt, that I'm comfortable with and he guided me from there.Great CS.

mildot
04-22-13, 11:33
So I've been running the belt for a few days now, the sizing was G2G, with just a few inches of "over lap" where the two portions of the belt come together in the front .The buckle set up is sh*t simple and works fine. The belt is much more lower profile than the standard cobra buckle and I can see now that this will be the go to belt for wearing under the battle belt. Quality and stiffness is the same as my Jones Tactical EDC, and the colour is bang on. The buckle set up is easy to use and just requires some "on off" to get it down. Just to add, the shipping and customer service was fantastic, Matt was right there to help me with the sizing. I'd have no hesitation in getting another belt from him.

420ollie
04-30-13, 00:39
I want to order a belt. I traded messages with Matt. He said I could fit into a xl. I could also go with a xxl.

I wear a 42-44 size pant. The 42" pant fits snug. I measured one of my BDU belts to where it adjusts and it is 46.5"-47". What size should I get? I will probably run a pistol IWB with a extra mag sometimes or OWB with 1-2 pistol mag pouches, 1-2 rifle mag pouches, and dump pouch. Most of the time there will be nothing on it.

I need a some help. I was thinking of going with the xxl.

AKDoug
04-30-13, 01:13
I wear 40" pants and my XL is just right with a gun on. When I measure where my belt hits with a normal pair of pants and a OWB holster, it runs right at 43". The XXL (I have one from when I was fatter) is 3" longer than my XL. You will be best served with an XXL.

mildot
04-30-13, 06:12
IIRC the XL belt is about 50" long. I have the XL and my waist is about 46" and I have a couple of inches of overlap in the front, the XXL would have given me about 5-6" if I had gone with the XXL. If you are still unsure email Matt and he will sort ya out.
info@volundgearworks.com

420ollie
04-30-13, 07:20
IIRC the XL belt is about 50" long. I have the XL and my waist is about 46" and I have a couple of inches of overlap in the front, the XXL would have given me about 5-6" if I had gone with the XXL. If you are still unsure email Matt and he will sort ya out.
info@volundgearworks.com

Is the 46 your pant size or is that the measurement taken with your old belt? Matt said the sizing was confusing. I placed an order last night. I left some questions in the comments area and sent a email.

mildot
04-30-13, 07:22
Matt got me to measure my Jones Tactical (JT) belt and it was 50" overall, the XL was close to that. I hope that helps?

420ollie
04-30-13, 07:59
Matt got me to measure my Jones Tactical (JT) belt and it was 50" overall, the XL was close to that. I hope that helps?

We're almost the same size. How much over lap do you have when carrying and when carrying nothing?

I may have to change my order to a xl.

Thanks for helping me out,
Alf

mildot
04-30-13, 08:03
I don't carry where I live, I have a 2-3 inches overlap in the front, and I'm using the "first" loop for the buckle. There is lots of adjustment on the "tail" end. I wear a 46" pant, I have several emails from Matt about sizing, and I thought that I may have needed the XXL, however I would have probably had 4-5 inches of overlap in the front. The JT belt was the EDC version with the cobra buckle. BTW this is a very comfortable belt.Great IMO for wearing under a battle belt.

420ollie
04-30-13, 08:17
When you mean first loop do you mean the smallest setting it will go or most inner loop? Or is it the biggest setting or last loop at the end of the belt?

I probably have to agree about using it with a warbelt setup. I was gonna get a belt with a cobra buckle but it might cause discomfort when wearing my warbelt.

I may have to change my order to the xl now. I'll post when I get it.
Thanks again.

mildot
04-30-13, 08:24
I'm using the first loop that the G-hook attaches to, the largest setting.The belt is very well made and once you take it on & off a few times it's easy to adjust and remove etc.
The belt is quite stiff and it's solid, I may?? have to get another one in a different colour. :)

echoslob
04-30-13, 08:47
Because of this thread I picked one up also. I can see why you guys are retiring your Wilderness belts. I liked it so much I bought a second with the Cobra buckle. It doesn't have the velcro like the G-clip model. I emailed them to see if they can add that for me. Waiting on a reply.

I doubt I will wear my Wilderness or other various instructor/riggers belts again. It's a comfortable, simple, well thought design and I can appreciate that.

orionz06
04-30-13, 22:50
I don't know if this is a design intent, or just something that I fell as-backwards into.

The part where the tail tucks into its keeper-loop is where the belt doubles in thickness. My recent foray into AIWB has shown that setting the belt up so that the doubled-up portion of the belt rests near where the holster covers the trigger-guard will help draw the butt of the gun inward, toward the belly.

Reduces liklihood of printing to the point that I'm not nearly as concerned as I used to be over wearing either a dark or light-but-ridiculously-voluminous cover-garment.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9445/covergarment.jpg

Liking this belt....

Necro quote but I do the same thing.

Up1911fan
05-01-13, 10:31
Necro quote but I do the same thing.

Same here as well.

JSantoro
05-01-13, 10:52
Orion, do what, wear a mumu....!? :D

I was using a PIC at the time; that ended up being a no-go. Ended moving back to a Raven ACR since, but that strut it has... Anyway, the tail of the belt got shifted counter-clockwise...

Got a Shaggy coming, so it'll be back to the drawing board again, before long.

Still, nothing but positive points to the belt. That G-hook attachment setup has made that belt configurable to ANYthing I've hung off of it, be it IWB or OWB. Versatile, without losing the ability to get snugged down and STAY there, and do so in reasonable comfort. I can't say that about any other belt I've used that has a honest-to-god buckle.

Good grief, I've had the thing for over a year; hardly seems like it....

echoslob
05-01-13, 10:56
Matt is a good guy. He answered my email promptly and is going to add the velcro to the tail for me on the cobra.

orionz06
05-01-13, 11:25
Orion, do what, wear a mumu....!? :D

It's comfortable.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
05-03-13, 10:22
Welp looks like I ordered a size to small lol If fits but just barely for OWB, IWB isn't happening. Sent him an email. hoping to do a swap. If not I'll be selling my black on black med to get something in large.

FAIL.

AKDoug
05-03-13, 16:48
If it's one of the stock colors, I'm pretty sure he'll trade you out.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
05-03-13, 19:04
If it's one of the stock colors, I'm pretty sure he'll trade you out.

Yep I sent it out to day to him. With a prepaid envelope so that he doesn't have to pay for my screw up.

echoslob
05-06-13, 12:39
I sent my Cobra back I think it was last Thursday or Friday. Matt just sent me an email that it's finished. I can't say enough good things about his product or service!!!!

SteveL
06-10-13, 11:37
I got one of these a month or two ago. (I lucked out and got the right size too.) I used it in a three day pistol course over the weekend and I never found the belt lacking in any regard. It supported the weight of my pistol and magazines without issue and stayed comfortable the entire time. IMO the adjustment method is a little awkward/inconvenient, but once you get it dialed in you can forget about it. Overall I'm very pleased with it.

SeriousStudent
06-10-13, 19:38
I've worn mine six days a week for the last thirteen months. It still looks practically brand new.

Another long-term thumbs up for the Atlas belt.

Voodoo_Man
06-10-13, 19:42
I've worn mine six days a week for the last thirteen months. It still looks practically brand new.

Another long-term thumbs up for the Atlas belt.

I wear mine 7 days a week (the wicked never rest), including through training and duty work.

Does the job and then some.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
06-10-13, 20:22
I wear mine 7 days a week (the wicked never rest), including through training and duty work.

Does the job and then some.

Ditto.

AKDoug
06-11-13, 01:29
Mine finally replaced my leather gun belt. I think I've been wearing mine non-stop since January now with a gun hooked to it every day. Once I figured out how to get it good and tight I really fell in love with this belt. I put my hook to the right of centerline, I pull the tag toward the left to tighten as well as I can, then I "jack" it a couple times back to the right. That will pull just a little more slack out. Once that's done I hook down the velcro to the left. Hard to explain, but if you own one of these belts you can figure it out.

BDG
06-11-13, 07:15
Mine finally replaced my leather gun belt. I think I've been wearing mine non-stop since January now with a gun hooked to it every day. Once I figured out how to get it good and tight I really fell in love with this belt. I put my hook to the right of centerline, I pull the tag toward the left to tighten as well as I can, then I "jack" it a couple times back to the right. That will pull just a little more slack out. Once that's done I hook down the velcro to the left. Hard to explain, but if you own one of these belts you can figure it out.

This is what I do as well and it works great. I too can't say enough about this belt. It holds my P30 and 2 mags without any sag and distributes the weight really well. I have not loaded it up with a bunch of stuff but for what I use it for, it can't be beat and not a bad price on top of it all.

Zeus
03-10-14, 11:59
Necro post... thanks for the reviews folks. Have a 1.75 coming as of this morning. My 1.5 Ares Ranger belt is just a bit too stiff, and the cobra buckle although convenient during the day, a bit too high profile. It will still be a part of my EDC gear, but looking for more "less".

4DAIVI PAI2K5
03-10-14, 12:12
Necro post... thanks for the reviews folks. Have a 1.75 coming as of this morning. My 1.5 Ares Ranger belt is just a bit too stiff, and the cobra buckle although convenient during the day, a bit too high profile. It will still be a part of my EDC gear, but looking for more "less".

Funny you posted, I just unbox my second Volund belt. Nothing wrong with my first one just wanted a little flashier one to take photos of holsters I make with. Got a 1.75 in OD with Kryptec main band and coyote g hook. Looks "fabulous" lol

I'll get some pictures here soon.

jmcrawf1
03-10-14, 12:31
Just received my first Atlas belt. The g hook concept is spot on. I always hated the bulk o the cobra buckle, wilderness belt buckle etc. The belt is comfortable, plenty stiff, and good looking. I'm happy.

Up1911fan
03-10-14, 12:59
By far my favorite belt for AIWB carry. Matt's cobra belt is great too!

SteveL
03-12-14, 15:43
Funny you posted, I just unbox my second Volund belt. Nothing wrong with my first one just wanted a little flashier one to take photos of holsters I make with. Got a 1.75 in OD with Kryptec main band and coyote g hook. Looks "fabulous" lol

I'll get some pictures here soon.

I was starting to give up on him ever getting any Kryptek material. I look forward to seeing your pics.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
03-13-14, 06:15
I was starting to give up on him ever getting any Kryptek material. I look forward to seeing your pics.

Crappy photo until I can get some time behind my real camera.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7356/13124039114_e2edb4ff4c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/kZJ8As)

SteveL
03-14-14, 14:24
Thanks for the pic. It turned out really well.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
03-14-14, 14:30
Yeah i really like it.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
03-16-14, 21:05
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3671/13208114764_4b6129196d.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/m8a3mC)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3772/13207362774_1a807bc459.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/m86bPh)

HES
04-09-14, 12:05
Sorry for the necro, but y'all have convinced me. I just placed my order. Can't wait to test this out.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
04-09-14, 13:14
Sorry for the necro, but y'all have convinced me. I just placed my order. Can't wait to test this out.

you will be happy. It is a great belt.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
04-10-14, 06:18
Her is my girlfriends belt I got her.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7060/13749861894_089ffb4281.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/mX2CUo)

HES
04-10-14, 09:32
Ohhhh I didnt even think of that. The wife wants to know if she can get it in pink. Im gonna have to go look. Oh and I got my shipping notification. Wow, that's fast.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
04-10-14, 09:56
Ohhhh I didnt even think of that. The wife wants to know if she can get it in pink. Im gonna have to go look. Oh and I got my shipping notification. Wow, that's fast.

I'm sure he does. He is very easy to work with.

ruchik
04-10-14, 21:57
Quick question. Does the velcro end of the tail support the load when attached, or is it there just to keep the tail end from flapping about?

JSantoro
04-10-14, 22:04
The latter.

3is
04-13-14, 01:21
oooh. I almost bought a cobra belt, but this looks like a much better option. this looks easier to feed thru belt loops.

BoppaBear
04-14-14, 20:38
I recently switched from an HSGI Cobra belt to the Atlas with G-Hook, and am very happy. It's takes a little getting used to over other belts, but I like mine a lot. I carry AIWB with my reload IWB at 11, and the belt is perfect.

SeriousStudent
04-14-14, 21:45
oooh. I almost bought a cobra belt, but this looks like a much better option. this looks easier to feed thru belt loops.

Much easier. No fiddling with partially assembled metal doodads.

I've had mine for about 3 years now, I think? The silly thing just will not die.

HES
04-14-14, 21:53
Ive worn it fro two days now and I'm sold. So much so I'm going to order another one. At this price its hard not to justfiy multiples. My leather one from The Beltman is going to get put into reserve status.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
04-15-14, 06:09
Ive worn it fro two days now and I'm sold. So much so I'm going to order another one. At this price its hard not to justfiy multiples. My leather one from The Beltman is going to get put into reserve status.

That is why I lend my spare out to friends. It doesn't take them long to want one.

TXBK
04-15-14, 06:23
For those considering the Atlas, definitely get one with the G-Hook. I first ordered one with cobra buckles, and it was a pain to thread holsters and even thread through belt loops. I got another with the G-Hook, and now my life is much happier. It's a great everyday belt.

Iraqgunz
04-15-14, 06:48
I have one on order as well and am waiting for it to show up. I spent a good couple of hours researching the pros/cons of the G hook versus the Cobra buckle.

For those considering the Atlas, definitely get one with the G-Hook. I first ordered one with cobra buckles, and it was a pain to thread holsters and even thread through belt loops. I got another with the G-Hook, and now my life is much happier. It's a great everyday belt.

Iraqgunz
04-15-14, 06:50
I ordered the same belt. If it's as good as they say, I am going to stop hoarding bolt carrier groups and rails and start hoarding these belts.

you will be happy. It is a great belt.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
04-15-14, 07:20
I ordered the same belt. If it's as good as they say, I am going to stop hoarding bolt carrier groups and rails and start hoarding these belts.

Better find a place to store them.

echoslob
04-15-14, 12:54

I have one of each also. I like them both and while the cobra takes maybe 20 seconds longer to thread through the loops you only have to do it once day. It's a little easier to cinch the cobra up for me. Both are great belts so either or to your liking.

3is
04-15-14, 13:23
I have one of each also. I like them both and while the cobra takes maybe 20 seconds longer to thread through the loops you only have to do it once day. It's a little easier to cinch the cobra up for me. Both are great belts so either or to your liking.

I float right in the overlap between medium and large. I typically wear size 33-34 pants. I emailed the company but does the army of M4C know if their belt sizes refer to actual waist circumference or "pant sizes"?

I emailed the manuf, they got back to me in less than a couple hours. man that is good CS.

Wake27
04-16-14, 09:07
I float right in the overlap between medium and large. I typically wear size 33-34 pants. I emailed the company but does the army of M4C know if their belt sizes refer to actual waist circumference or "pant sizes"?

I emailed the manuf, they got back to me in less than a couple hours. man that is good CS.

There's enough adjustment for you to work with either one I think. I'm the same size and believe I have a medium, but can double check in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBK
04-16-14, 09:10

I am the same, and I have the medium and it's good.

Up1911fan
04-16-14, 11:17
I am the same, and I have the medium and it's good.

Should work for you. I'm a 32" and use a small, hooking on the second loop in. By far my favorite belt for AIWB carry, I do use a Volund Cobra Belt for OWB though.

Rackit
04-16-14, 11:22
Ordered a black/black medium. Looking forward to its arrival !

SpyderMan2k4
04-16-14, 20:24
Since I started carrying 7 1/2 years ago I've gone with a couple leather belts, a couple wilderness style belts, and I've been rockin the stlas since June. It is BY FAR the best of the belts. There are a number of things I love about it. Rigid. Comfortable. Low profile (big buckles caused issues with me when carrying AIWB). Infinite gross and fine adjustment. Ability to undo the belt (unhook the G hook) without moving velcro- which will wear out. Getting looped AIWB holsters on and off is also fast and convenient. Gotta say, I love this belt.

the 556 guy
04-16-14, 23:03
Mine shipped today. Eager to give it a try, as so many folks here rave about it

HES
04-17-14, 00:54

I'm currently running a size 35 and the medium is working just fine for me

BoppaBear
04-18-14, 04:39
I'm in the 34ish pant size, with actual waist size being a bit larger. I have a medium, and all is good. I really like the g-hook. Great belt, and I'll probably order another one soon.

Also, Matt at Volund is great to deal with. He responds to questions quickly, at night, and on the weekends. My belt is the 1.75" with tan backing and wolf grey trim.

the 556 guy
04-20-14, 16:06
My g-hook belt arrived yesterday, within a week of my order. That's impressive for a product with so many choices of customization, endless I chose a size and color combination so predictable for them to stock. Either way, fast service.

Here is my take on it:
It's very,thin and light, but very sturdy. The way it doubles/overlaps itself makes it quite sturdy. Very comfortable, and despite it being a day, I really like it. The lightness is hard to express once being used to the thicker, leather gun belts, or the monster buckle on the wilderness belts.

the 556 guy
04-20-14, 16:07
And, thanks to all posters before me on the sizing. Pant size, I'm somewhere between 33-36 depending on brand and cut, and went with a medium, which is perfect.

Rackit
04-21-14, 14:44
Got my in the mail today and really like it so far I wear 32ish jeans so I went with the MD and it fits great !

El Vaquero
04-22-14, 15:16
They've got to be getting some decent business from this thread, lol. I received mine last week as well. I'm a 36" waist but IWB carry. I picked up a size LG and it seems to fit fine. Looks like a well made product.

Hmac
05-02-14, 17:21
I've worn an Uncle Mike's instructor belt, had worked fine but the Velcro for the tail has worn. I picked up an Atlas belt to replace it. It's well-made. Certainly adequately stiff. Presumably the sleeve will loosen up. I find the overlap mildly awkward and inconveniently bulky - more so than the buckle on the instructor belt. The hook mechanism is clever and works ok. I wear a 32 waist pants, my belt size measures 34 1/2 as described on the website. I went with a medium...I could have got a small and that would have worked too, just would have been less overlap at the front. I don't carry IWB, the medium would certainly allow that if I did though. Threading the Atlas belt through the loops on the OWB pancake that I prefer is a little more inconvenient than the instructor belt, not hugely so however

All in all, very well-made belt. The design is ok...keeps my pants up and is stiff enough to support a full-size pistol well. For me and my expectations probably not superior to an instructor belt but I can see why people would prefer it to a belt with cobra buckle...definitely less bulky than that.

Hmac
06-18-14, 19:11
6-week followup, daily use...

I should have bought the small (32 waist, my belts measure 34 1/2 inches). Too much overlap (I don't carry IWB). Trying to pull that many loops through the keeper is awkward and prevents the belt from being tightened down optimally for OWB carry. The loops themselves makes threading some OWB holsters difficult. It's a little awkward to latch. I find I actually have to look at the loop in order to hook it, then I have to slide the whole belt counterclockwise to get the velcro to attach without crossing a belt loop.

Overall, a well-made belt that doesn't suit me optimally. I just ordered another instructor belt.

Voodoo_Man
06-18-14, 19:17
Stay tuned for a review, I am writing it up and should be posted within the next week or two.

TAZ
06-19-14, 16:53
Same boat as Hamac. Love the stiffness and the idea of the loops for adjustability. However, as a gun belt it's a no go for me. I don't use soft loops on my carry holster so threading the Kydex through the loop portion of the belt is a PITA. So is taking it off. Wish there was a way to make it work.

Rackit
06-19-14, 17:02
Been using mine a couple months now and love it. Easy on, easy off, and it retains most of my holsters great.

urbantactic
01-11-15, 14:09
I realize this is an older thread, but I was lucky enough to receive a Volund Atlas Duty belt for my birthday, and I have never been happier with a belt. I am running the Atlas Duty Slick option, which is the same build design as the 1.5” Atlas, but much more stiff. The Atlas Duty is hook lined, and I wear it with a loop covered Atlas G-Hook Liner belt. I picked this so during training, I could easily switch from everyday concealed to a battle style belt on the range.

Junglist
01-14-15, 14:21
I have had a volund coming up on 3 years. While I dont wear it everyday, I still like it just as much as when I got it.

Voodoo_Man
01-14-15, 14:49
I realize this is an older thread, but I was lucky enough to receive a Volund Atlas Duty belt for my birthday, and I have never been happier with a belt. I am running the Atlas Duty Slick option, which is the same build design as the 1.5” Atlas, but much more stiff. The Atlas Duty is hook lined, and I wear it with a loop covered Atlas G-Hook Liner belt. I picked this so during training, I could easily switch from everyday concealed to a battle style belt on the range.

Sweet, mind taking some pix of it and while wearing it?

Boy Scout
02-14-15, 15:32
I just got mine today, courtesy of member tonyxcom. I only have about six hours on mine so far, but it's already at the top of my list for belts I've tried/used (5.11 Operator and Trainer, TAG Cobra, Specter Gear). I love ditching the weight of the rigger's buckle, and the tail of the belt as well. It may be a little narrow at 1.5" for my preference, but I'm definitely going to keep it to wear with pants that have smaller belt loops. I prefer 1.75", so I'll be ordering one post haste from Volund.

munch520
02-25-15, 17:46
More feedback on this after a couple years of use. It's the perfect mix of stiff, low profile, and at a great price. I've tried the Aeries Aegis and Ranger belts, and while great quality...I have no idea how guys can pull off a belt whose buckle prints more than the gun. Maybe if I wore 3XL shirts all the time or something...but anyway, I haven't found a better belt than the Atlas+G Hook. I need to order another...

Work loadout today
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8623/16024759834_a486b059d9_c.jpg

echoslob
02-25-15, 18:24
The Aegis for me, is stiffer and I can cinch it up much easier. I was always hiking my pants up with the Volund. My pants stay up now and I can cinch as tight as I need. I also have the Volund cobra but that is a good looking pita to thread the loops if you're in a hurry. They are made great and look great but for me the Aegis is perfect. The buckle LOOKS huge but wears small on me anyway. When I first opened the box I couldn't believe how big that buckle is but I don't feel it when wearing it and sitting down. Some riggers buckles poked me but Aegis is GTG for me. I still think the G-hook is a cool design and I know many here don't have issues with it. I am glad it works for you.

munch520
02-26-15, 11:11
The Aegis for me, is stiffer and I can cinch it up much easier. I was always hiking my pants up with the Volund. My pants stay up now and I can cinch as tight as I need. I also have the Volund cobra but that is a good looking pita to thread the loops if you're in a hurry. They are made great and look great but for me the Aegis is perfect. The buckle LOOKS huge but wears small on me anyway. When I first opened the box I couldn't believe how big that buckle is but I don't feel it when wearing it and sitting down. Some riggers buckles poked me but Aegis is GTG for me. I still think the G-hook is a cool design and I know many here don't have issues with it. I am glad it works for you.

Sounds like you need pants that fit...:p

echoslob
02-26-15, 11:30
Sounds like you need pants that fit...:p
I'm starting to think that gold Desert Eagle I carry IWB could be weighing them down. ;)

4DAIVI PAI2K5
02-26-15, 12:45
More feedback on this after a couple years of use. It's the perfect mix of stiff, low profile, and at a great price. I've tried the Aeries Aegis and Ranger belts, and while great quality...I have no idea how guys can pull off a belt whose buckle prints more than the gun. Maybe if I wore 3XL shirts all the time or something...but anyway, I haven't found a better belt than the Atlas+G Hook. I need to order another...

Work loadout today
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8623/16024759834_a486b059d9_c.jpg

This dick pic didnt cost me anything.

munch520
02-26-15, 14:02
whore

Ironman8
02-26-15, 15:35
This dick pic didnt cost me anything.

Are you complaining or bragging? ;)

4DAIVI PAI2K5
02-26-15, 17:28
Are you complaining or bragging? ;)

Bragging. It is a secy piece of man package

4DAIVI PAI2K5
02-26-15, 17:31

I haven't had this problem at all. I think it fine tunes better then most belts, and once it it's set it is solid.

echoslob
02-26-15, 18:45
It does seem to be my issue as most have stated they don't have the same problem.

ruchik
02-26-15, 19:31
Tip: if you're planning to wear this belt as an everyday belt, not a CCW belt, then get your actual size. I ordered a medium, and it was too large for me. I wear waist size 30 pants.

munch520
02-26-15, 19:41
Good idea to chime in on size. I'm a 32-34" waist depending on brand and M is good for me

03-12-15, 14:37
Anyone purchased one of the new atlas slim belts, how rigid is it? The one I received this week is like a plain canvas belt with no rigidity. Just wondering if they left out the insert in the belt or that is how they are made now.

echoslob
03-12-15, 14:53
Anyone purchased one of the new atlas slim belts, how rigid is it? The one I received this week is like a plain canvas belt with no rigidity. Just wondering if they left out the insert in the belt or that is how they are made now.

Did you see this pic before you ordered? If you read his description it says he took the rigidity out of it.

http://store.volundgearworks.com/index.php/catalog/product/gallery/id/189/image/575/

03-12-15, 15:08
No, I didn't see that picture. I did read the discription before I purchased and it sounded like to me it still had some rigidity to it and I could have sworn I read that it had some kind of insert. Welp, thats my fault for not paying close enough attention, thanks buddy.

echoslob
03-12-15, 15:23
He took the stiff webbing out but added something else so if you didn't see the pic I can see how you might have thought it still had some rigidity. He made that for people that feel his regular Atlas is too stiff.

Send him an email. His CS is great even though I have moved on. He redid a Cobra for me I bought from one of his dist. He did it quick and cheap. I bet he will make that belt work for you as he wants you to be happy.

orionz06
03-12-15, 18:12

It's a floppy belt, intentionally. Works very well for AIWB.

I also believe some thoughts on belt stiffness is a carryover from the leather days. The fact that these belts work pretty well supports that.