PDA

View Full Version : Which mount for T1, absolute co-witness?

0reo
11-25-11, 01:11
Hey folks,
Sorry if its been covered here before my search-Fu is weak tonight.

What's the best mount for an Aimpoint Micro T1 / H1 for absolute cowitness? (I do not foresee a need for quick release.)

Iraqgunz
11-25-11, 02:58
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Best+mount+for+absolute+cowitness+of+Aimpoint+T-1

0reo
11-25-11, 04:21
Gee, thanks.:rolleyes:

Any actual opinions from the experienced folks on why you chose / like one design over another?

mkmckinley
11-25-11, 05:48
ADM, Bobro, Larue are the ones typically recommended here. I've used Larue 1/3 and it works fine.

Iraqgunz
11-25-11, 05:59
The problem is that you asked a vague question. You specified an absolute cowitness mount. There are a few out there. The problem is that 10 different people can recommend 3 different mounts and then what?

Are you going to have an overtime Chinese parliament session to determine which is for you?

Gee, thanks.:rolleyes:

Any actual opinions from the experienced folks on why you chose / like one design over another?

TehLlama
11-25-11, 09:46
I'll answer a precise question which I imagine is/would be in your head after looking at those three above.

Among the true AbsCo units, the ADM is the most affordable, and it has the advantage of being modular (throw in a taller spacer and it's SOCOM height - lower 1/3).
It sits a tiny bit above sight axis on my wife's, and is a touch heavy compared to the others I have, but it is solid, still a light overall package, and most importantly on that rifle the package was an absolute bargain with an H1 (G&R Tac)

The KAC is one of the lightest, requires using both spacers IOT use. I really want to like this mount, but it doesn't lock up as tight as I'd hope on various uppers (to include two SR15 uppers) - other than that the tiny bit of offset it neat, but the bulky right side of the mount interferes with larger fingers adjusting the brightness (undoes some of the convenience of the micro APs), and the cost basically seals it for me.

The LT is the lightest, available in the VFZ or QD configuration, and honestly my preferred mount. It looks flimsy compared to the brick of a mount the ADM is, but I'm not really worried about it going anywhere, and on a 5# rifle that bit of weight savings is appreciated. I got QD versions, even with no intention of removing them. Same as the ADM, they sit the tiniest above the bore axis, but cowitness fine, and are probably in the perfect spot for a 'caveman eotech' using just the outline of the micro and a fixed front sight as an immediate backup system.

I do recall typing something to the effect of this, which tells me there's a topic with all this on the site here... but I'm in a charitable mood.

JD_BP_FLYER
11-29-11, 20:32
While I'm sure to get flamed for my post count (exactly ONE) I frequent the forums and don't feel the need to post if someone has already covered the answer I would have given. I consider that etiquette. That being said, I have a S&W M&P15T that I run an Aimpoint T-1 with a GG&G quick-realease mount. It is absolute co-witness and works very well. It is well constructed and reasonably lightweight, when compared to most others on the market. This is not to say that Larue, or any others previously mentioned are of any less quality or are somehow inferior. What I can tell you is the combo price for the optic and mount was excellent from GG&G directly, they are also local to where I live in Tucson. This setup has well over 5,000 rounds through it in various training and practical shooting and has never failed to maintain zero when removed and reinstalled. I have also run several different Larue mounts with the same results. Since I didn't see GG&G represented here I thought I would give my two cents worth. At least you know that you want the absolute, which I beleive to be the best form of backup available on the AR platform.

Toyoland66
11-29-11, 21:56
ADM, Bobro, Larue are the ones typically recommended here. I've used Larue 1/3 and it works fine.

Bobro wasn't making a T1 mount last time I checked, did they come out with one recently?