PDA

View Full Version : TA44SG-10 Question? (Black line? What for?)

WS6
11-25-11, 03:10
What is the black line for? What are its dimensions and relation to the dot/circle?

Singlestack Wonder
11-25-11, 10:05
To my understanding, it the mechanism that supports the circle-dot reticle. It's present in some form or another in all ACOG's.

Magic_Salad0892
11-26-11, 16:28
After you get some experience shooting with it, even though it was no stadia on it, you can use it to compensate for bullet drop.

At least I've been able to. A little bit. It's not precise all the time, but I have memorized where each bullet should land on a certain spot on the line.

I love the TA44SG-10. Mine came in. Green reticle. I think I'll be getting another.

militarymoron
11-26-11, 16:34
i asked jsantoro this same question about a year and a half ago about my TA44SR-10 (knowing that he'd be able to find out), and this is what he answered:

"Dot = 2 MOA
Circle = 23 MOA od
Circle = 20 MOA id

Center of dot - top of vertical post = 24.4 MOA
Center of dot - bottom of post = 56.8MOA
Post width= 2.3 MOA

Intent for the post is as a distinct visual indicator of the presence of rifle/optic canting. Any use as a hold-point is whatever you gin up for yourself."

WS6
11-26-11, 17:58
After you get some experience shooting with it, even though it was no stadia on it, you can use it to compensate for bullet drop.

At least I've been able to. A little bit. It's not precise all the time, but I have memorized where each bullet should land on a certain spot on the line.

I love the TA44SG-10. Mine came in. Green reticle. I think I'll be getting another.

Awesome! I love mine, too. $760 shipped, and a shameless plug for Primary Arms. Fast shipping : )

WS6
11-26-11, 17:58
i asked jsantoro this same question about a year and a half ago about my TA44SR-10 (knowing that he'd be able to find out), and this is what he answered:

"Dot = 2 MOA
Circle = 23 MOA od
Circle = 20 MOA id

Post width= 2.3 MOA

Intent for the post is as a distinct visual indicator of the presence of rifle/optic canting. Any use as a hold-point is whatever you gin up for yourself."

Thanks!

Magic_Salad0892
11-26-11, 18:28
Awesome! I love mine, too. $760 shipped, and a shameless plug for Primary Arms. Fast shipping : )

That's great. Hope my advice helped you out. :D

WS6
11-26-11, 21:32
It did, and I love the optic, thanks!

Singlestack Wonder
11-27-11, 12:16

"Dot = 2 MOA
Circle = 23 MOA od
Circle = 20 MOA id

Post width= 2.3 MOA

Interesting. In one of the forums someone from Trijicon indicated the black ACOG lines were a result of the reticle support (and yes, they could be used for a reference). With the ACOG's mounting system, the ACOG will always be mounted square with a rifle whether mounted on a flat top or carry handle. Unless something is seriously wrong with the rifle or mount, it would be difficult to mount one canted. The same reference also applied to the Accu-Point and its triangle reticle and the two lines under the triangle.

militarymoron
11-27-11, 12:41
In one of the forums someone from Trijicon indicated the black ACOG lines were a result of the reticle support (and yes, they could be used for a reference).

that doesn't make sense to me mechanically, as the line isn't connected to the reticle or anything else - it just floats. as i understand it, the reticle is etched onto a prism, so i'm not sure what support would be needed. i may be wrong of course.

kwilkin
11-27-11, 13:50
Isn't the black line (I'm assuming the vertical line) just there for holdovers? The line and dot are vertically aligned so when you are shooting at distance and have to use a holdover, the vertical line lets you know that the dot is directly above the target.

Singlestack Wonder
11-27-11, 14:00
I think I may be confusing the reticle mounting mechanism in the Accu-Point with the ACOG. :blink: