PDA

View Full Version : Battery Corrosion.. how to clean?

markm
11-25-11, 09:47
A member here loaned me an Aimpoint, when we popped the battery compartment, the batter that was sitting in there had done that corrosion leak thing a little on the rubber part in there.

I can get a swab on it, but what should I used on the swab? And don't say FrogLube! ;)

nimdabew
11-25-11, 12:05
Denatured alcohol or circuit board cleaner.

WS6
11-25-11, 12:47
I would spray it out with MAF cleaner. You can get it at any local auto-store. If it won't jack up MAF wires, then Aimpoint is full of fail if it messes it's battery terminal up.

markm
11-25-11, 15:15
Good ideas.... I think I'll try alcohol first since I don't have MAF cleaner at the house. There's just enough that I might be able to swab it out with a little alcohol.

GTifosi
11-25-11, 15:40
Baking soda and water mix to neutralize the acid, then clean up with whatever after that.

JohnnyC
11-25-11, 15:50
Buy a can of Chemtronix ElectroWash. Just don't get it on plastics, despite what the can says. They make an aerosol and a pen.

0reo
11-25-11, 19:04
Yea, they make circuit board cleaner that's designed for stuff like this. Its a powerful solvent a lot like brake & maf cleaner but designed to be safe on electronics & leaves no residue behind. It will melt some plastics but it evaporates so fast its not normally a problem.

JohnnyC
11-26-11, 02:29
It will melt some plastics but it evaporates so fast its not normally a problem.

Tell that to the guy at work to toasted about $2,000 worth of plastic LED backlit buttons and faders on a $30,000 lighting desk. Company-wide memo was released shortly thereafter threatening immediate termination for anyone using anything but a damp cloth. Plexus plastic cleaner was even put on the no-go list.

trukreltrog
11-26-11, 09:27
Just curious which Aimpoint leaked? I'm guessing one that takes AA, but I could be wrong,,, :shout:

P2000
11-26-11, 10:05
Baking soda and water mix to neutralize the acid, then clean up with whatever after that.

Thats what I use on car battery terminals that are corroded. Works extremely well, the corrosion just bubbles away.

markm
11-26-11, 10:45
Just curious which Aimpoint leaked? I'm guessing one that takes AA, but I could be wrong,,, :shout:

Yep. Comp M4. It just sat around too long with a cheapo battery inside it. Not the Aimpoint's fault.

SteadyUp
11-26-11, 10:52

This is what I'd recommend. In a previous life, I was an auto mechanic, and baking soda mixed with warm water was (and is) my preferred method of cleaning up battery corrosion.

It's an effective, yet mild cleaner, which is especially useful when dealing with electronics, such as an Aimpoint.

Magic_Salad0892
11-26-11, 16:30
Markm is using an Aimpoint?

The world is coming to an end. For sure.

ucrt
11-26-11, 16:58

More than likely it is an alkaline battery, so baking soda won't neutralize it.

I just cleaned up a voltmeter in the same situation with 91% iso alcohol from Wal-Mart and a model paint brush. I cut the brush bristles short (1/4") to make them stiff. I kept alcohol on the bristles and just stabbed at the "lumps" of corrosion amongst the springs with the bristles ends until they started breaking up.

Blew the battery compartment out, cleaned the brush, put a couple of drops of CLP on the brush, dabbed a little oil where the corrosion was to give it a little corrosion resistance, and then back in business.

markm
11-26-11, 19:55
Markm is using an Aimpoint?

The world is coming to an end. For sure.

It's just a loaner.... The shocking part it that there's a LaRue mount... ON MY GUN!!! :eek:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/downsized_1126111342.jpg

QuietShootr
11-26-11, 20:00
This is what you want: http://www.caig.com/ Get the Deoxit Gold spray and use it on a swab.

0reo
11-26-11, 20:32
Thats what I use on car battery terminals that are corroded. Works extremely well, the corrosion just bubbles away. Just don't let the baking soda water leak into the battery through the electrolyte caps. It'll ruin a good battery in a hurry.

Armati
11-26-11, 21:18
Also try a plain old pencil. Use the eraser rub off the corrosion. In this particular case you might try a spinning motion.

11-27-11, 20:48
Pour some Pepsi of the affected areas, rinse, repeat.